Author Topic: [IC] Reflex & Paradox - 60% O-Ring Mount (GB Preparation)  (Read 75627 times)

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Re: [IC] Reflex & Paradox - 60% O-Ring Mount by Windeh (Pre-GB IC Form - 18th Nov)
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 07:25:46 »
It would be interesting to try some different plate materials on the Reflex like carbon fiber or plastic to really bring out the sound. I'm thinking of how the Weaven really brings out a unique sound signature that I've never heard on another keyboard.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
Re: [IC] Reflex & Paradox - 60% O-Ring Mount by Windeh (Pre-GB IC Form - 18th Nov)
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 07:35:43 »
It would be interesting to try some different plate materials on the Reflex like carbon fiber or plastic to really bring out the sound. I'm thinking of how the Weaven really brings out a unique sound signature that I've never heard on another keyboard.

Weaven..Fjell. they both bring out great sound

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #252 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 07:56:16 »
What would a copper plate feel/sound like?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Windeh

• a no name
« Reply #253 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 08:20:22 »

Softer plate material then aluminium don't work as well with this mounting style since no one wants to feel like they're typing on a trampoline... I think.  :-X

With the 3 available plate material and different O-Ring hardness combinations, I think there are options enough for everyone to experiment with the sound and feel to their liking.

I have heard that the Fjell had great sound. Anyone know why that is? Having tried other tray mount cases, the switches closer to a mounting post would have a higher pitch sound then those further away, and the inconsistent typing feel reflect the position of the mounting posts too.

Genuinely curious.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #254 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 08:44:07 »

Softer plate material then aluminium don't work as well with this mounting style since no one wants to feel like they're typing on a trampoline... I think.  :-X

With the 3 available plate material and different O-Ring hardness combinations, I think there are options enough for everyone to experiment with the sound and feel to their liking.

I have heard that the Fjell had great sound. Anyone know why that is? Having tried other tray mount cases, the switches closer to a mounting post would have a higher pitch sound then those further away, and the inconsistent typing feel reflect the position of the mounting posts too.

Genuinely curious.

Might be due to the denseness and material of the Fjell. That boi heavy

Offline 1023andy

« Reply #255 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 10:03:10 »
When are the final protos going to arrive?

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #256 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 22:56:25 »
Eagerly wait for prototypes to arrive. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Let's hope GB is dropping soon!

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #257 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 22:57:37 »
Eagerly wait for prototypes to arrive. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Let's hope GB is dropping soon!

Otani, can I borrow money so I can pay for my paradox?

I'll let you borrow the Paradox sometimes..

Offline Kavik

« Reply #258 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 23:02:20 »
 I probably won't be able to join, but just commenting so that I can follow this. The Reflex looks really nice.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #259 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 23:32:02 »

Yea, so you can stack another one of these bad bois to your current list? I'll pass. Gotta stop Mcnos from monopolizing the high end boards market :p "910 | Sakura Kyuu | DC60 | HHKB | KBD67 | Duck Viper V2 | E6V2 | (Reserved for TGR-Jane V2)"

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #260 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 00:13:08 »

Yea, so you can stack another one of these bad bois to your current list? I'll pass. Gotta stop Mcnos from monopolizing the high end boards market :p "910 | Sakura Kyuu | DC60 | HHKB | KBD67 | Duck Viper V2 | E6V2 | (Reserved for TGR-Jane V2)"

Pls no, only 2-3 more boards and I'm done. I promise. Half of them are cheap boards anyhow!

Offline Windeh

• a no name
« Reply #261 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 02:15:50 »
Ooops posted the wrong link in the OP for the latest Pre-GB Form... Fixed OP Link Was thinking why the sudden lack of interest...   :-X

No need to refill if you've already filled in 18th November Form.

When are the final protos going to arrive?

ETA for the Master Sample Prototype should be the week starting 10th of December.  :cool:
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2018, 04:20:41 by Windeh »

Offline 1023andy

The GB might start during my final exam.. :(

Offline appaboy

My first time ever seeing this thread somehow. Love the mounting method but I can't use 60 percents. Hopefully to see more of this style from you later on
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline Windeh

• a no name
The GB might start during my final exam.. :(

It might take a week or two from receiving the prototyping till the start of the GB. And there will be more forgiving raffle spots if FCFS timing is an issue.

My first time ever seeing this thread somehow. Love the mounting method but I can't use 60 percents. Hopefully to see more of this style from you later on

Definitely. The mount have proven to be a winner, and l'm looking for a larger standard PCB layout with reliable supply to design around.

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Got some ProtO PhotO from the factory, and they look shweet!!  :p  :cool:

208089-0   208091-1

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ

(Attachment Link)     (Attachment Link)
Tell them to hurry upppp and send it out to you already. Patiently counting days over here :thumb:

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu

Tell them to hurry upppp and send it out to you already. Patiently counting days over here :thumb:

I've got your spot already though Otani.

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ

🤭🤭 You clearly don't need more high end boardssss. Only 15 of these, gimme a chance to redeem my tofuuu lul

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu

🤭🤭 You clearly don't need more high end boardssss. Only 15 of these, gimme a chance to redeem my tofuuu lul

Tofu is definitely a good enough board, no worries

Offline vikipedeer

can I just buy one Reflex right now? lol
(for real tho, if you allow me to do that I'd do it in a heart beat)
Current board:KBD75V2, Whitefox, Time TKL

say yes to bacon overlord

Offline 1023andy

I believe you said this GB doesnt include PCB right?

Offline Windeh

• a no name
I believe you said this GB doesnt include PCB right?

That is correct. Most aftermarket 60% PCBs should fit. I have tried Zeal60 & Leeku Finger 60 L3, and both fit perfectly, and you can get a Satan GH60 from KBDFans for $30. :thumb:

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
There an update on when this will go live?

Offline Windeh

• a no name
There an update on when this will go live?

Just waiting on the master sample and color chips to arrive, should receive it by early next week hopefully. Also the sample plate in aluminium & copper is already on their way to me.

If nothing needs drastic change, we're looking at GB going live by next weekend or the weekend after. The GB post have already been drafted...  ;)

Offline bthezebra

Board gave me stiffy uhh

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Good news & not so good news time.  :-\

First the good news;

Just received this photo from the factory, the machining for the parts have completed;  :eek:
208358-0

The Master Sample have been ordered with "as machined" finish for tolerance inspection. Materials are 7075-T6 Aluminium for case and SS316 for weights. Color Sample Chips have been separately ordered in their respective materials and finish.

-----------------------------------------------

Now the not so good news...

The flatness tolerance for the Paradox weight did not meet my specifications for ISO 2768-2 Class "H". The factory is looking at ways to rectify the issue, and most likely will be re-machining the part.
I will update again when I get the new ETA, most likely just a couple days delay.

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ

First the good news;

Just received this photo from the factory, the machining for the parts have completed;  :eek:
(Attachment Link)

The Master Sample have been ordered with "as machined" finish for tolerance inspection. Materials are 7075-T6 Aluminium for case and SS316 for weights. Color Sample Chips have been separately ordered in their respective materials and finish.

The flatness tolerance for the Paradox weight did not meet my specifications for ISO 2768-2 Class "H". The factory is looking at ways to rectify the issue, and most likely will be re-machining the part.
I will update again when I get the new ETA, most likely just a couple days delay.
Sweet. So more or less, everything else looks good, just the surface finish of the Paradox's weight you are having issues with?

Offline Windeh

• a no name

First the good news;

(Attachment Link)

Sweet. So more or less, everything else looks good, just the surface finish of the Paradox's weight you are having issues with?

There is no issue with the surface finish. The machining marks you see on the surface you will not be able to feel with your fingers, and will be removed by the sandblasting process for the group buy cases.

The straightness & flatness tolerance is the deviation from intended position over a defined length, i.e. a tolerance for deformations like bending and twisting.

Offline vikipedeer

my god, that's beautiful

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ

There is no issue with the surface finish. The machining marks you see on the surface you will not be able to feel with your fingers, and will be removed by the sandblasting process for the group buy cases.

The straightness & flatness tolerance is the deviation from intended position over a defined length, i.e. a tolerance for deformations like bending and twisting.
Ah gotcha. Was it more on the side of machining error, or was it some kind of fundamental flaws associated with the chosen material that would make it susceptible to deformations?

Offline Windeh

• a no name

Ah gotcha. Was it more on the side of machining error, or was it some kind of fundamental flaws associated with the chosen material that would make it susceptible to deformations?

Without being there, I wouldn't know for sure what is the exact cause of the slight deformation. Most likely a combination of material property, machining technique, cooling, part design etc.

If I had to take a guess, due to the poor thermal conductivity and poor machinability of 316 stainless steel, it's likely caused by localized heating of the cutting zone while milling the center cutout being the weakest spot, and the expansion of the material from the heat opened up the cutout slightly. Some adjustment to tool path, feed rate and cooling will most likely eliminate the issue.

Brass weights for the GB being a freeier machining material with good thermal conductivity, if my assumptions above are correct, will not have this issue.

TBH it's most probably just my specified tolerances being too stringent overall, and the factory overly cautious with me harping on about tight tolerances is priority...  :-X
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 December 2018, 09:56:28 by Windeh »

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
I thought you had a blue proto earlier? Is this a second proto for the Paradox?

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
I thought you had a blue proto earlier? Is this a second proto for the Paradox?
Dude definitely feel like me and you we've been waaay too active on this thread lol
Joke aside, I think the previous blue one was a sample prototype and this one being a master prototype, although I honestly don't know what's the difference betweeen the two either.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 December 2018, 12:42:54 by otanishock »

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Re: [IC] Reflex & Paradox - 60% WKL by Windeh (Updated IC Form - Oct 29)
« Reply #284 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 19:59:12 »
There were 2 batches of “prototypes” made.

1st Batch - Conceptual Prototype:

Serving as “Proof of Concept” for both designs, it is used to;
  • Check if the mounting system works as intended, and if there are any adjustments needed to the pressure on the O-Rings to the plate.
  • Check the fitment between each parts of the case, and any adjustments needed to the design for a more polished product.
  • Check all angles and geometry of the design physically, identify any structural weaknesses, and any usage/assembly concerns.
  • Check for any undesirable resonance in the design during actual usage.
  • Identify any machining challenges that can be lessened from adjustments to the design.
  • Generate interest in the design with photos of the physical item.

Once the first prototype is analysed and my designs updated with improvements, the finalized design is made into a “Master Sample”, prior to production.

2nd Batch - Master Sample:
  • “Master Sample” means that it is the sample that all subsequent production parts are measured against. It sets the standard for what the factory is able to produce, a test run for the factory’s capability so to say. Quote for the GB run has been received from the same factory, so they also get a chance to test run their production for my designs, and make any adjustments to the process as necessary for the upcoming GB.
  • The Master Sample is ordered in “As Machined” surface finish to most accurately gauge the tolerances of the factory’s machining.
  • Once I receive the sample, I will measure all dimensions against my design, and if everything looks good, the GB will commence.
  • Minimal changes to the design will be made between the Master Sample and the Production parts. During QC, any irregularities will be identified by comparing the two.

All the renders have been updated to the final production design. For a list of changes from the 1st Prototype to the Master Sample, please refer to this post:

More
Some (semi-finalized) updates to both case & plate designs.

Highlights:
  • Finalized plate design for optimized stress distribution
  • Added support ribs for Reflex grill
  • Increased Reflex weight fastener size
  • Fasteners added to 4 corners of the case for additional clamping and tighter seal
  • Reduced gap between keys & case top
  • Significantly increased top piece rigidity
  • Increased interlocking area of top & bottom piece
  • Biased O-Ring post length for easier assembly
  • Slightly enlarged USB port size
  • Slightly enlarged feet recess size

Reflex
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Paradox
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Plate Design
(Attachment Link)

UPDATED PRE-GB IC FORM
https://goo.gl/forms/kSBTWylS7VxydKMu1

Offline Windeh

• a no name
A quick update regarding the Paradox Weight mentioned in the last update. Just been informed that the Straightness/flatness tolerance for the Master Sample was 0.2mm out of spec over a length of 260mm, so it will be scrapped and remade.

New ETA is "Some time next week".

Aluminium & Brass Plate should be with DHL delivery driver now.  :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2018, 00:39:59 by Windeh »

Offline vikipedeer

A quick update regarding the Paradox Weight mentioned in the last update. Just been informed that the Straightness/flatness tolerance for the Master Sample was 0.2mm out of spec over a length of 260mm, so it will be scrapped and remade.

New ETA is "Some time next week".

Aluminium & Brass Plate should be with DHL delivery driver now.  :D
thank god I was just selling out my scale model collection to make money for the Reflex, now I have a bit of headroom of time to sell them, lol

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Plates arrived!

New design brushed Rose Gold (AKA copper) plate Vs. Old design sandblasted brass plate
208522-0

Brushed copper plate & Sandblasted aluminium plate
208524-1

The brushed finish for the copper plate may be offered as an optional extra. Standard finish for the copper plate is sandblasted.

Aluminium plate will be anodized black or red for the GB.

Offline airlangga07

Super excited right now!!! Definitely in for oneee!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
Plates arrived!

New design brushed Rose Gold (AKA copper) plate Vs. Old design sandblasted brass plate
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

The brushed finish for the copper plate may be offered as an optional extra. Standard finish for the copper plate is sandblasted.

Will you be doing a sound test for the completed proto?

Offline vikipedeer

my god, the rose gold looks so nice!

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Plates arrived!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I would like to, but most likely will be after the GB as I want to get it going before the holiday season, with Chinese New Year coming up soon after that.

I have some cherry blacks and 2 Satan GH60 on their way to me as placeholder for Tealio/Zealio V2 and Zeal60 Rev.4 while they take their sweet time to ship just for the sound test, but need to find time to lube them...

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
Plates arrived!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I would like to, but most likely will be after the GB as I want to get it going before the holiday season, with Chinese New Year coming up soon after that.

I have some cherry blacks and 2 Satan GH60 on their way to me as placeholder for Tealio/Zealio V2 and Zeal60 Rev.4 while they take their sweet time to ship just for the sound test, but need to find time to lube them...

I think you would get more participants if you waited until after the holidays, but that's just my opinion. I know I'm more likely to buy things for myself (custom keyboards) when I don't have to buy gifts or travel expenses. Not sure how everyone else feels, just my 2 cents.

Offline 1023andy

What is the thickness of the plate? I might go for copper plate if I know how it feels like..

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ

I think you would get more participants if you waited until after the holidays, but that's just my opinion. I know I'm more likely to buy things for myself (custom keyboards) when I don't have to buy gifts or travel expenses. Not sure how everyone else feels, just my 2 cents.
Oh don't worry. There are only 15 of each and I know for certain a couple of people I talked to have been waiting like a hawk for this already.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu

Oh don't worry. There are only 15 of each and I know for certain a couple of people I talked to have been waiting like a hawk for this already.

Did you say my name Otani?

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ

I bought Arctic 👀 Don't take my spot💩

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu

It's okay, I'll refund it. 👀

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ

It's okay, I'll refund it. 👀
💩💩🤭🤭

Offline MiKeyy

would like another color choice, but new mounting systems have pulled me back in