Author Topic: Case dampening  (Read 10045 times)

Offline saxophone

Case dampening
« on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 10:15:38 »
Here's a little something I did on my Tizona G2N:

I've always been annoyed by the hollow echoing sound if you knock on the underside of keyboard. It's there since there's empty space between the PCB and the plastic parts that sticks out from the bottom frame to support the PCB.

So I opened the thing up and cut out some pads out of felt to put in there.

The felt pads are slightly thicker than the height of the plastic lines there to support the PCB, however it's also soft so it gets pushed down by the PCB and nicely fills up any gaps.

The sound made becomes dull after reassembly, kind of like the difference when you replace cheap thin ABS keycaps with thick PBT ones. It did also seem to somewhat silence the sound of typing it self. I'm pretty satisfied with the results I'd have to say.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 10:17:48 by saxophone »

Offline tronbeaver

Re: Case dampening
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 10:18:57 »
Where did you get the felt?

Offline saxophone

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 10:45:13 »
Here in sweden we have this store chain called Panduro that sells all sorts of hobby related stuff from sewing to painting. Bought the felt from there as a single big square piece.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 18:03:10 »
Here's a little something I did on my Tizona G2N:

I've always been annoyed by the hollow echoing sound if you knock on the underside of keyboard. It's there since there's empty space between the PCB and the plastic parts that sticks out from the bottom frame to support the PCB.

So I opened the thing up and cut out some pads out of felt to put in there.
Show Image

The felt pads are slightly thicker than the height of the plastic lines there to support the PCB, however it's also soft so it gets pushed down by the PCB and nicely fills up any gaps.

The sound made becomes dull after reassembly, kind of like the difference when you replace cheap thin ABS keycaps with thick PBT ones. It did also seem to somewhat silence the sound of typing it self. I'm pretty satisfied with the results I'd have to say.

Can you make a sound comparison audio/video?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline saxophone

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 04:49:02 »
I don't have any decent sound recording equipment so I'm unable to do anything like that.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 06:19:33 »
I do this to all of my keyboards.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 06:36:30 »

What material do you use and where do you buy it?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:02:21 »
I use felt, waffled rubber drawer liner, and the thick EPDM that I make my mats from, sometimes all 3.

The waffle rubber is the most compressible, and does not slip around as much as felt. The EPDM is heavy and I try to lay it at the bottom so that it just muffles the vibrations by brute force and weight. For voids that are not simply large and flat and accommodated with sheets, I fold layers into rectangles or cut strips and roll them into cylinders to get just the right sizes and shapes.

Other people have used multiple layers of duct tape alone, or duct tape along with other materials.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:47:53 »
I use felt, waffled rubber drawer liner, and the thick EPDM that I make my mats from, sometimes all 3.

The waffle rubber is the most compressible, and does not slip around as much as felt. The EPDM is heavy and I try to lay it at the bottom so that it just muffles the vibrations by brute force and weight. For voids that are not simply large and flat and accommodated with sheets, I fold layers into rectangles or cut strips and roll them into cylinders to get just the right sizes and shapes.

Other people have used multiple layers of duct tape alone, or duct tape along with other materials.

Nice, thanks!

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 09:34:11 »
I use PE-Foam. I got it from a huge package in which my monitors were. So I didn't buy it. You could probably order it online from a shop that is selling packaging materials.
I also have waffled rubber drawer line. I got it from a local store.

Technically, any sound dampening material works, just use the one you can get your hands on.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:05:08 »
I use PE-Foam. I got it from a huge package in which my monitors were. So I didn't buy it. You could probably order it online from a shop that is selling packaging materials.
I also have waffled rubber drawer line. I got it from a local store.

Technically, any sound dampening material works, just use the one you can get your hands on.

Thanks, I really got to try it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:58:33 »

I would say that the denser and heavier materials work better. Also, if the padding is under compression, then it is likely to put the case under tension, and these will have a significant impact on dampening vibrations and resonance.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline lunas

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 22:25:50 »
Sorbothane dampening pads are about as dense as you can get. Pricier but works great.
Pok3r Whitefox

Offline Altis

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 22:32:51 »

As do I. Makes it sound much less hollow and gets rid of some of the plasticky sounds.

I use either drawer liner from the dollar store. Drawer liner lets you fill the space just right and get the right amount of compression. You don't want it too tight or it actually can sound kind of odd.

As nice as it is to sound deaden the inside of the case, putting the keyboard on something soft helps much more. You can cut out a piece and secure it to the bottom of the outside of the case if you don't want to type on a soft surface.

Yoga mat works really well for this but it usually isn't too cheap, especially if it's just for one keyboard.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 06:41:38 »
Sorbothane dampening pads are about as dense as you can get. Pricier but works great.

Where do you get those?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 06:42:00 »

As do I. Makes it sound much less hollow and gets rid of some of the plasticky sounds.

I use either drawer liner from the dollar store. Drawer liner lets you fill the space just right and get the right amount of compression. You don't want it too tight or it actually can sound kind of odd.

As nice as it is to sound deaden the inside of the case, putting the keyboard on something soft helps much more. You can cut out a piece and secure it to the bottom of the outside of the case if you don't want to type on a soft surface.

Yoga mat works really well for this but it usually isn't too cheap, especially if it's just for one keyboard.

You just stack layer on layer inside the case or what?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 08:44:20 »
And there are also my mats .....

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.msg1359377#msg1359377

I have enough stock for a few in the small sizes for HHKB, Poker, etc, (approx 4.3"x11.5" or 110mm x 290mm) and I hope to get some larger pieces for standard-size boards in the next week.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2016, 09:39:04 by fohat.digs »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 09:04:01 »

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 09:49:03 »

I have enough stock for a few in the small sizes for HHKB, Poker, etc, (approx 4.3"x11.5" or 110mm x 290mm) and I hope to get some larger pieces for standard-size boards in the next week.
Those look really good, do you think they would help slightly reduce the noise and ping on a Ducky 1008XM?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 10:06:39 »

Those look really good, do you think they would help slightly reduce the noise and ping on a Ducky 1008XM?

Any flexible material separating hard layers will reduce resonances and chattering as it keeps the flat surfaces from becoming sounding boards.

The easy test is to fold a towel and put it under the keyboard. A firm rubber mat will do less than the towel, sound-wise, but it is also helpful for traction and keeping the keyboard from moving.

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 10:19:17 »

Any flexible material separating hard layers will reduce resonances and chattering as it keeps the flat surfaces from becoming sounding boards.

The easy test is to fold a towel and put it under the keyboard. A firm rubber mat will do less than the towel, sound-wise, but it is also helpful for traction and keeping the keyboard from moving.

Thanks i just put a towel under the 1008XM and it sounds much much better, i was really surprised. I would certainly like to buy some of those mats if you have enough in stock for a 1008XM  :)

Offline Altis

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:37:11 »

Pretty much. The inside case isn't usually flat so you need to make it work. Usually I'll start with one full size layer and then make each one shorter (on the front side).

Here's an example of my KUL ES-87 with a single layer inside. Notice that I had to cut out around the stems that support the PCB and the cable. After that, I added more layers but not so much towards the front.

WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline lunas

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 12:49:24 »

Where do you get those?

I bought some on Amazon, only one brand available, but a nice, thin sheet.
Pok3r Whitefox

Offline The Hobbiest

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:10:55 »
Is that some stuffed between the pcb board and the keyswitch plate as well?

Offline Altis

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:41:05 »
Is that some stuffed between the pcb board and the keyswitch plate as well?

Aye, sharp eye!

I was experimenting with that to see if I could reduce some of the notorious ping of the KUL ES-87 with MX Clears. It pretty much went away when I changed the switches out to Zealio 62g/65g.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 18:48:09 »
I was experimenting with that to see if I could reduce some of the notorious ping of the KUL ES-87 with MX Clears. It pretty much went away when I changed the switches out to Zealio 62g/65g.

You get rid of the pinging by lubing the spring inside the switch. (only where the spring is making contakt with the bottom of the housing and the stem)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 06:37:14 »

Pretty much. The inside case isn't usually flat so you need to make it work. Usually I'll start with one full size layer and then make each one shorter (on the front side).

Here's an example of my KUL ES-87 with a single layer inside. Notice that I had to cut out around the stems that support the PCB and the cable. After that, I added more layers but not so much towards the front.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Late response, but that looks really nice! Time to try it myself..

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 13:12:56 »
This is very interesting.  I would love to see actual data on how much the noise is actually reduced.  One thing that annoys me to no end is pinging.  It's odd how random it is from keyboard to keyboardl
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline E3E

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:26:03 »
I used sorbothane on my Duck Eagle (what I call my Hammer Alps build) and it made it so quiet that I couldn't stand using PBT caps on the board, since it made it TOO quiet. I hear that carbon fiber also has vibration reduction qualities, and that is the material used for the plate I have in the board, so it's insanely quiet, especially with PBT. I use ABS so I can get more of a clack.

Dampening a board with blue Alps just sucks the soul out of them though, so I really don't like using blues in my Hammer Alps build. I stick to linears.

For the Orion v2, I use it undampened with blue Alps and it's dreamy. I did dampen it at one point but it really just ruins it.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:35:26 »
I stuffed my Focus FK-2001 with paper towels. The FK-2001 is pretty flimsy but the added weight makes it feel better built than it actually is ;)

Offline E3E

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 22:04:47 »
I stuffed my Focus FK-2001 with paper towels. The FK-2001 is pretty flimsy but the added weight makes it feel better built than it actually is ;)

If there's one amazing thing about this hobby, it's all the damn craftiness people have in making things work for them. That is awesome, man. Haha.

Offline Magna224

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 07:15:26 »

The ones form the 80s aren't super bad. The 90s ones are super creaky! The earlier ones are a bit heavier. The cord is obviously bigger too.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 April 2016, 07:21:10 by Magna224 »
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 13:40:36 »

The ones form the 80s aren't super bad. The 90s ones are super creaky! The earlier ones are a bit heavier. The cord is obviously bigger too.
Mine is from 95' made in China, so it's probably the worst one.

However, mine is unique because despite it being a later made board in China, it still uses complicated switches.

Offline E3E

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 16:14:07 »

However, mine is unique because despite it being a later made board in China, it still uses complicated switches.
[/quote]

Made in China vs Taiwan?

Offline Magna224

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 17:36:48 »

Well that's a good thing!

Made in China vs Taiwan?
[/quote]

Yep. The '88 above is the rev1 or revA (Whichever one it is. Haven't had it open in years.) PCB with blue ALPS too.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 18:11:13 »
Yeah, made in China in 95'.

It's in terrible condition atm, i have been scrounging it for parts, Im planning to get rid of it as a freebie soon.