Author Topic: Keycap SCIENCE! Warning; many pictures inside!  (Read 5055 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Keycap SCIENCE! Warning; many pictures inside!
« on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:59:38 »
As we all know, everything becomes better with science. I had some SEM time, so I stayed late, and used it to make pictures of keycaps and their printing. I used several different types of printing to see what there was to see. SEM is a type of electron microscopy - the advantage is that the wavelength of electrons is much shorter than that of visible light which is what normal microscopes use. Shorter wavelength = higher resolution = greater magnification. These were taken on an ESEM and with limited magnification because there's not much more to see at greater magnifications than I took them at. Note that because electrons don't fall in the spectrum of visible light, these pictures aren't coloured, and aren't sensitive to colour. A homogeneous material that's coloured red on one side and green on the other would appear completely homogeneous throughout, but it's very sensitive to changes in surface topology. The combination of both gives very valuable information about the printing and the keycap material and texture.

Tl;dr; yeah *****, science!

NB: please note the magnifications noted in each picture!

Here's the keycaps I selected:
*an ABS Acer 6312 delete keycap with the mysterious, possibly dyesub printing;
*representing high-quality dyesub PBT, a Model M insert keycap;
*a fairly thick Chicony ABS keycap with rimless pad printing (F10);
*in the other corner, a Dell AT101W windows key, lasered ABS;
*rimmed, traditional pad printing; a Key Tronic numpad 3 key;
*defending the honour of doubleshot ABS; a Key Tronic E1223418467857853876152742347628476 Num Lock key.

Cut up into flat, small, analysable samples;

The samples, mounted on carbon tape on aluminium SEM stubs, inside the microscope:

First, the mystery Acer keycap. The lettering looks very weird under magnification. In fact, it looks neither like dyesub NOR like pad printing. The last two pictures show some of the edges of the lettering, which looks surprisingly amorphous and unorganised. Interestingly, although it very much doesn't look like dyesub, whatever they used actually reaches DEEPER into the keycap than the dye sublimation on Model M keycaps Oo .
More

Second, the IBM keycap. The texture on this cap is very noticeable, and looks very even under low magnification, but quite shredded under closer inspection, with black chasms running everywhere. The writing is absolutely invisible under SEM conditions, indicating perfect homogenisation with the carrier material as you would expect of dye sublimation.
More

Third, the lasered Dell ABS keycap. The windows logo is very visible under SEM, in keeping with the difference in surface morphology. You can actually see the difference in height between the lasered pits and the surrounding material. The lasered material itself looks amorphous and disorganised. The keycap itself looks fairly smooth and evenly flat.

More

Fourth, the rimmed pad printing. The edges of the pads are just about visible, but I can't see the lettering in them very well. Surprisingly, the keycap material looks extremely even and flat, with almost no surface features at all. I appear to have cracked this sample while preparing it because tiny hairline cracks can be clearly observed.

More

Fifth, the rimless pad printing on the Chicony. This sample consists of two smaller plates, one with "F" and one with "10" on it. The printing is fairly well-defined, but the surface of the printing appears bubbly for some reason, almost as if there are glowing alien eggs embedded in it. The contrast is very high on these caps, with a sharp transition from the printing to the cap, which is why they look so nice in person, too.
More

Finally, the doubleshot ABS keycap. The lettering on this is RAZOR SHARP, with the seam only 10-20 micrometres (0.01-0.02 mm) wide, the highest contrast among these caps by at least one order of magnitude. The transition from one shot to the other is very clear, but the surface of both plastics is absolutely identical. Again, the keycap surface has virtually no features at all and appears extremely even throughout.

More

Hope you enjoyed the pictures and the science, guys! :)
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Re: Keycap SCIENCE! Warning; many pictures inside!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 18:01:48 »
This is pretty sweet!

Offline regack

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 18:19:22 »
Wow...  :o    :thumb:

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 18:25:58 »
that last one is amazing!

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 19:06:48 »
This post was insane. Apparently I need to come visit you chyros wtf. I want to play with a microscope

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 19:08:10 »
Thank you very much.

Enlightening.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline spanyam

• Enjoy the gift of life!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 20:12:18 »
This is the kind of thing you never realized you wanted to know until you see it! Simply amazing and enlightening post. Also, the clarity of that double shot cap is insane.
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:13:26 »
This post was insane. Apparently I need to come visit you chyros wtf. I want to play with a microscope

SEMs are great! The operator I got to work with told me a story about how he used to go and get really high before doing his work sometimes.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:19:00 »
So, you can use the SEM to inspect and photograph whatever you like?

I'm kind of interested in seeing what the glow-in-the-dark caps have that differentiates them from their regular counterparts. I suppose I could possible look that up on Google, but it's more fun if it's keycap-related. For science, right?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 03:18:14 »
Thanks guys, glad you enjoy the pictures :) .

So, you can use the SEM to inspect and photograph whatever you like?

I'm kind of interested in seeing what the glow-in-the-dark caps have that differentiates them from their regular counterparts. I suppose I could possible look that up on Google, but it's more fun if it's keycap-related. For science, right?
No, unfortunately. I was only able to make these pictures because I had to use the machine anyway for my project (see the empty sample slot? ;) that's where my own sample went). I can't just use the machine when I want.

Electron microscopes are not cheap machines btw. Most SEMs are around two hundred grand, a TEM will usually set you back around half a million, and an AFM can be two million or more.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 04:55:33 »
These photos are incredible

Thanks for sharing this

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 05:12:09 »
Totally science me out!
Nice addition to keyboard knowledge
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline garyd9

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 17:57:27 »
Electron microscopes are not cheap machines btw. Most SEMs are around two hundred grand, a TEM will usually set you back around half a million, and an AFM can be two million or more.
So only slightly more expensive than a serious keyboard/keycap habit?

Offline E3E

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 18:23:38 »
Fantastic work, Chyros, our resident chemist, haha.

This is both astounding and yet also key cap nightmare fuel all in one, haha.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 00:36:01 »
Gives a new definition to macro photography of keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 06:23:56 »
So only slightly more expensive than a serious keyboard/keycap habit?
Haha despite the amount of keyboards and materials I've bought I worked out that I'm only about £50 out of pocket actually xD . Which is good because I'm as poor as a church mouse :P .