Author Topic: About To Pull the Trigger on HHKB...  (Read 17530 times)

Offline Corsa1r

About To Pull the Trigger on HHKB...
« on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:47:32 »
So I have enough Amazon credit from a recent birthday to now afford a Type-S HHKB...  I've been dying to try a Topre-switch board out, but never had the opportunity (there's nowhere in a several-hundred mile radius that likely has one) to actually give one a test-drive.

I've read countless reviews and watched too many videos to count on the sound and feel of this particular board.  I own two cherry boards at the moment, and love them alot. However, I'm worried I may want to get rid of them after trying an HHKB.  What should I dooooo??

Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: About To Pull the Trigger on HHKB...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:49:49 »
just do it

it's possible to want to keep both topre and MX boards, even if you have a strong preference for one

I love topre and use topre boards at work, but use a linear MX switch board at home for gaming

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:50:08 »
DO IT!

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:52:01 »
Do it, I did  and a left cherry behind. Once you use topre I doubt you will ever go back....

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:52:57 »
Do it, I did  and a left cherry behind. Once you use topre I doubt you will ever go back....

Zealios are pretty great IMO and the 1800 layout is hard to beat.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:56:46 »
I recommend buying used.

Easy to sell for what you bought it for, if you truly don't like oneness with cup rubber.

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:57:57 »
Realistically, I'm pretty certain I'll prefer the Topre for typing (grad school atm), and my cherry brown and blue boards for gaming and stuff, but I've never spent even half this much on a keyboard before (even though it's all gift credit I saved), it feels like such a huge amount to drop on an itty-bitty keyboard.
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline jaffers

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:58:22 »
DON'T DO IT! DON'T FALL FOR THE MEME! HAVE STRENGTH, I BELIEVE IN YOU!

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 22:03:07 »
Realistically, I'm pretty certain I'll prefer the Topre for typing (grad school atm), and my cherry brown and blue boards for gaming and stuff, but I've never spent even half this much on a keyboard before (even though it's all gift credit I saved), it feels like such a huge amount to drop on an itty-bitty keyboard.

you could consider getting the regular (not Type-S) version so save some money

you can always perform a silencing mod later on if you do decide you want silencing

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 22:05:57 »
don't buy into the hype and approach it as a skeptic. You'll either be pleasantly surprised, or just dislike the switch/board. I will say that after purchasing my first HHKB and being initially underwhelmed by the switch, I really didn't want to go back to MX. This was  mostly due to the feel. I've now tried several topre boards but HHKB reigns supreme for many reasons which I won't bore you with.

HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 22:10:34 »
don't buy into the hype and approach it as a skeptic. You'll either be pleasantly surprised, or just dislike the switch/board. I will say that after purchasing my first HHKB and being initially underwhelmed by the switch, I really didn't want to go back to MX. This was  mostly due to the feel. I've now tried several topre boards but HHKB reigns supreme for many reasons which I won't bore you with.

That's pretty much how I'm going in, and I know even if I hated it (which I don't expect to happen), I could easily get my money more or less back.  I actually considered the FC660c, too (which I see you also have) for some time,   and the steel plate seems 'nice' in it, but I have steel plate and dual pcb and stuff between the two boards I already have.  it's an extremely solid typing experience, but  I feel like a topre switch not mounted on steel would be a really nice change of pace and feel.  How do you feel about the FC660C's feel compared to your HHKB?

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 22:33:48 »
Get the standard. It will be cheaper and probably easier to sell when or if you decide you don't like the layout. Having said that...I got mine 4 years ago and still use it on occasion. It's a nice board.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 22:35:42 »
Get the standard. It will be cheaper and probably easier to sell when or if you decide you don't like the layout. Having said that...I got mine 4 years ago and still use it on occasion. It's a nice board.

What do you use most often instead of your HHKB?

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 22:36:57 »
SSK
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Chasseur

• I'm here for the nuts
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 22:38:08 »
you could consider getting the regular (not Type-S) version so save some money

This is a good point. Many find the standard Topre sound pleasant.

you can always perform a silencing mod later on if you do decide you want silencing

Topre switches have a unique force curve with a distinct initial push; silencing mods affect where you start on this curve, which I have found to affect typing accuracy and make the typing experience less enjoyable. I modded a Novatouch with flatted EK soft landing pads a few months ago and just finished undoing it. Novatouches are louder than HHKBs (I have both), but I'd take more sound over a worse feel any time.

Get the standard. It will be cheaper and probably easier to sell when or if you decide you don't like the layout... It's a nice board.

Sound advice.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 February 2016, 22:40:31 by Chasseur »

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 22:48:53 »
You could also get a normal one and buy Hypershere rings.

It silences the board just as well as a Type-S

Plus you can also get a black one and do this! (Type-S Only comes in white)

This will let you open up your board and get to learn the insides!

I have taken apart several Topre Boards multiple times for various mods (Lube, Silencing, Stem Swaps)

Its fun to get your hands dirty!

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 23:01:53 »
SSK

An SSK is basically a Model M TKL?  Is that accurate?  Same buckling springs and all?

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 23:46:58 »
Yep, I have a couple and am currently using the one in my avatar.

Try as many different keyboards as you can (afford to). I had to try about a dozen or so before I found a few that I really like. Good luck and have fun!
SSKs for everyone!

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 23:48:06 »
SSK

An SSK is basically a Model M TKL?  Is that accurate?  Same buckling springs and all?
Yep the same just with a tkl design

Offline steve.v

About To Pull the Trigger on HHKB...
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 01:37:27 »
I have the type-S; good if you plan to use it at work or in quiet places; it's very quiet. However if it is at home, I recommend the standard; that thock noise is satisfying as an auditory feedback feature.
I also recommend lubing the stems after a few months as mine started to not be as smooth as it was on day one. Reverse the spacebar for ergonomic purposes. Hasu's controller for programmability. Good luck!

After using it all, I am very interested in a 55g conversion or I may just get a reaforce; it never stops!!!
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 February 2016, 01:40:45 by steve.v »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 01:40:06 »
hhkb
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 01:49:36 »
I have the type-S; good if you plan to use it at work or in quiet places; it's very quiet. However if it is at home, I recommend the standard; that thock noise is satisfying as an auditory feedback feature.
I also recommend lubing the stems after a few months as mine started to not be as smooth as it was on day one. Reverse the spacebar for ergonomic purposes. Hasu's controller for programmability. Good luck!

After using it all, I am very interested in a 55g conversion or I may just get a reaforce; it never stops!!!

Thanks for the info. I really love the sound of the Type-S, it would probably be used in class at times.  I love the sound of the regular, too. But could you (or anyone), explain to me the biggest pro to buying a regular HHKB versus an F660C? I really love the look and sound of the FC660C, too, but would like to know about build quality, opinions on layouts, etc.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 01:49:40 »
Just do it and you won't regret it.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 01:54:33 »

Thanks for the info. I really love the sound of the Type-S, it would probably be used in class at times.  I love the sound of the regular, too. But could you (or anyone), explain to me the biggest pro to buying a regular HHKB versus an F660C? I really love the look and sound of the FC660C, too, but would like to know about build quality, opinions on layouts, etc.

hhkb
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 02:12:37 »
Hey, I recently did the same thing.
Loving it so far, the typing is very smooth.
Came from mx clear, its a bit lighter but not as light as my browns but a lot smoother!

I dont have the type-s.
And I must say its quieter then my mx clears already.
My colleagues that type on rubber domes make more noise :P

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 11:22:33 »
What about the Japanese version/layout of the HHKB?  I see these are available, too.  Would there be any hurdles getting that one to work correctly on my PC in the US?  Probably not, I would gather.

I love how the Japanese version doesn't waste space at the bottom and you still get arrow keys, from the looks of it.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 12:08:02 »
Chyros just posted his review: :P

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 12:19:08 »
What about the Japanese version/layout of the HHKB?  I see these are available, too.  Would there be any hurdles getting that one to work correctly on my PC in the US?  Probably not, I would gather.

I love how the Japanese version doesn't waste space at the bottom and you still get arrow keys, from the looks of it.

jpn version extra keys are not that useful unless you get one of Hasu's replacement controllers.
Also you lose out on one of the best parts of the hhkb - backspace above enter!
most people who like hhkbs really like the fn-arrow placement - to me it is now more intuitive than an arrow cluster on a normal board because i dont have to move my hand as far and it's a very comfortable position.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 13:54:30 »
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline 3K

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 13:58:40 »
there's nowhere in a several-hundred mile radius that likely has one) to actually give one a test-drive. 

I doubt that! Also there is a switch tester on massdrop that includes a topre switch assembly.

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 14:04:02 »
I just brought mine into work today for the 1st time and I love it. But everybody says the same thing... Man that is tiny, WHY?!?! Because it's sweet and you suck! But I really like it, got the stock Pro 2 in black, about to pick up the Type S very shortly.

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 14:46:33 »
How do you feel about the FC660C's feel compared to your HHKB?

I've now used FC660c quite a bit now. I'm not sure how reliant you are on the arrow cluster but either way, I would say that the HHKB provides a more efficient and versatile layout for me. Even working from the command line (linux), the HHKB function layer is more intuitive and to be honest, FC660's primary arrow cluster only helps me when doing excel sheets. Both boards make for an easy transport so that's not a problem, just that the FC660c is a bit heavier due to its plate. FC660c does have a noticeable clack on the upstroke so it can be disruptive in a class setting. Unless you want to silence it yourself, this is key for you since you mentioned that you'd use it in class. I don't have the Type-S but i'm sure it's not as disruptive, if at all.

There's more in regards to their embedded function layers but I would say, go with the HHKB. If you can afford teh Type-S and want to type in class, this is the best bet (and a safe one, lest you want be kicked out!). Also, HHKB will sell faster than FC660c, I think. Also, the HHKB thock is almost orgasmic at times. And I'm not even kidding bro.

I just brought mine into work today for the 1st time and I love it. But everybody says the same thing... Man that is tiny, WHY?!?! Because it's sweet and you suck! But I really like it, got the stock Pro 2 in black, about to pick up the Type S very shortly.

« Last Edit: Tue, 09 February 2016, 14:51:23 by derb2k2 »

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 15:09:19 »
Wow, thanks everyone for all the information, I appreciate it.  I hit 'order', there's no going back now!  ^-^

If I hate it, be prepared for a brand new Type-S being sold in classifieds here.  I'll give you a great deal!

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 15:13:44 »
Wow, thanks everyone for all the information, I appreciate it.  I hit 'order', there's no going back now!  ^-^

If I hate it, be prepared for a brand new Type-S being sold in classifieds here.  I'll give you a great deal!

Hope you hate it then ;)

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 15:23:59 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 February 2016, 15:37:51 by derb2k2 »

Offline crickclackman

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 15:58:18 »
Welcome to the club!

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 15:58:58 »
^Lol.  and qazeqaz, you only live four hours or so away from me, it'd get there real quick!

And 3K, I think I probably could have found a place with Topres, but I think I know in my heart that it will be a wonderful switch.

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:02:35 »
^Lol.  and qazeqaz, you only live four hours or so away from me, it'd get there real quick!

And 3K, I think I probably could have found a place with Topres, but I think I know in my heart that it will be a wonderful switch.

Hot damn, better hurry up and hate it!!

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:05:51 »
Are HHKB only available in 45g?  I've heard of HHKBs having 55g switches, but I imagine those are modded in?

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:10:39 »
Are HHKB only available in 45g?  I've heard of HHKBs having 55g switches, but I imagine those are modded in?

Correct. Uniform 45g only but the dome swap is easy and many here prefer that modification to add more snappiness and tactility.

Also, let me welcome you with my usual:

Welcome.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:13:47 »

55g is a mod. Not necessary. Just like this silencing nonsense.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:14:12 »

was pure topre for about a year and now I own 3 mx boards. However the superior feel is topre mx is just fun to customize

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:16:32 »
But flipping the space bar is a must! I was reading on here on how people did it, and I have to say it doesn't hurt my thumb anymore (gaming).

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:17:25 »
But flipping the space bar is a must! I was reading on here on how people did it, and I have to say it doesn't hurt my thumb anymore (gaming).

wrong post?

anyways just burn the board if you're gonna flip the space bar  >:D

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:20:06 »

Good choice! Once you get used to the layout, you won't want to go back.

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 17:15:20 »
Welcome.

Show Image

Haha. Is that from a bad b-movie? You welcomed me with it once on my first thread on the forum.  I dig it.

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 17:26:31 »
Welcome.

Show Image

Haha. Is that from a bad b-movie? You welcomed me with it once on my first thread on the forum.  I dig it.

Oh sorry! it's what I usually put for recent topre/HHKB converts. Didn't know I'd already referenced you with it. Hehehe. Not sure how I found it or from what movie. Definitely 80's stuff like Critters.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 18:06:44 »
Heresy.

Stupid people modding their hhkb please leave your hhkb virgin please!

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 18:14:45 »
Heresy.

Mine started out pure, now, she is broken in, modded, swapped, and all dolled up. I mean I would never bring her home to momma but she knows what I like. HHKB is the way to go, no matter how you go about it.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 18:16:39 »
Heresy.

Mine started out pure, now, she is broken in, modded, swapped, and all dolled up. I mean I would never bring her home to momma but she knows what I like. HHKB is the way to go, no matter how you go about it.
Y-y-y-you infidels!