Author Topic: IBM PC AT Problem  (Read 3667 times)

Offline SPY

IBM PC AT Problem
« on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 14:03:23 »
Got 2 IBM PC ATs today, turned off PC, connected 5-DIN to PS\2 adapter and plug keyboard in - and it worked in BIOS and during some time of startup, but as soon Windows 7 (x64) started - keyboard hangs(num light is on) and becomes unresponsible to any input. I tried reboot multiple times with same effect(works in bios, don't in Win), changing keyboards, disable USB support in BIOS, tried to delete default hid-keyboard driver. Im pretty sure that adapter is not a problem since im tried it with another IBM 5-din keyboard and currently typing on Chicony KB-2323 5-din keyboard. Please help!
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 February 2016, 14:10:46 by SPY »

Offline crickclackman

Re: IBM PC AT Problem
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 15:49:52 »
Try USB converter.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 22:42:35 »
Got 2 IBM PC ATs today, turned off PC, connected 5-DIN to PS\2 adapter and plug keyboard in - and it worked in BIOS and during some time of startup, but as soon Windows 7 (x64) started - keyboard hangs(num light is on) and becomes unresponsible to any input. I tried reboot multiple times with same effect(works in bios, don't in Win), changing keyboards, disable USB support in BIOS, tried to delete default hid-keyboard driver. Im pretty sure that adapter is not a problem since im tried it with another IBM 5-din keyboard and currently typing on Chicony KB-2323 5-din keyboard. Please help!

Definitively a software issue. Check PS/2 settings in the BIOS? Otherwise windows is being a pain in the ass. Also why are you using 32bit Windows? Do both PC AT's have this problem?
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline SPY

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 23:08:30 »

Definitively a software issue. Check PS/2 settings in the BIOS? Otherwise windows is being a pain in the ass. Also why are you using 32bit Windows? Do both PC AT's have this problem?
Im using Windows 7 64-bit (x64). Yes both IBM PC AT Model F keyboards stop working after "Starting Windows" sign. Can't find any PS\2 settings in BIOS (UEFI BIOS).
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 February 2016, 23:27:55 by SPY »

Offline SPY

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 23:09:52 »
Try USB converter.
Can you recommend one, please?

Offline SPY

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 12:59:13 »
Tried safe mode - no results, tried change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\i8042prt\Start to 1 as someone on web suggests, didn't help. Read that clean Windows install helps, but I reluctant to do so, at least until I try other options.

Offline SPY

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 13:14:49 »
Try USB converter.
s
You're suggesting that because you had experienced this or it's just a guess? Converter+Shipping will cost around 20 GBP to me, so I don't wanna test my luck.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 13:51:20 »
Try these (deleting drivers/devices and rebooting):

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/336879-28-help-mouse-keyboard-working#3115166

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/330717-31-keyboard-works-boot-work-windows-open#5353417

If that doesn't fix it, you'll need an active PS/2 to USB converter.  I've had great luck with the Adesso PS/2 to USB converter.  It's dirt cheap and I have yet to find an older board it does not work with.

Offline animal

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 14:15:17 »
Since the keyboard works in BIOS there seems to be no problem with your converter. Let Windows boot and wait at the logon screen. Let it install drivers for the new board. This could take a couple of minutes.
Real men do it with a keyboard.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 14:17:05 »
Since the keyboard works in BIOS there seems to be no problem with your converter. Let Windows boot and wait at the logon screen. Let it install drivers for the new board. This could take a couple of minutes.

You typically need to nuke old devices first, then it will autodetect and be good.

Offline SPY

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 08:38:19 »
Getting closer to solving my problem.
 After some digging I found out that there is hidden "PS\2 compatible mouse" in Device Manager, even though there is only IBM PC AT keyboard connected to PS\2 port(I have single, universal mouse and keyboard ps\2 port on my motherboard). In Device manager it say that device don't work correctly and if I delete it, it reappears after reboot as long as PC AT is connected and disappears after I plug my other keyboard with 5-din to PS\2 adapter(it shows as PS\2 compatible keyboard in DM).
 Here is device_ID ACPI\PNP0F03, IRQ 0x0000000C (12) and driver is mouclass.sys that "PS\2 compatible mouse" uses.
Probably because my Asus motherboard has single port for KB and mouse, BIOS sends wrong device_ID to Windows when it reads old AT PS\2 protocol and then Win loads wrong driver. I can't find any PS\2 settings in BIOS, so there is three options to me right now:
1)Change motherboard for one with separate PS\2 ports for KB and mouse. I'll try that option on next weekend.
2)Use PS\2 to USB active adapter\controller. Pricey option.
3)Try force Windows to use correct driver. Desirable option.

So, here is questions:

Can I rename keyboard driver kbdclass.dll and swap it with mouse one or there any other way around to force load correct driver?

I found Aten UC100KMA USB-PS2 controller in store nearby for around 40 USD. It has only few feedbacks on Amazon, does anyone have used it with AT or PS\2 keyboards?
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2016, 10:52:03 by SPY »

Offline SPY

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 08:01:15 »
Getting closer to solving my problem.
 After some digging I found out that there is hidden "PS\2 compatible mouse" in Device Manager, even though there is only IBM PC AT keyboard connected to PS\2 port(I have single, universal mouse and keyboard ps\2 port on my motherboard). In Device manager it say that device don't work correctly and if I delete it, it reappears after reboot as long as PC AT is connected and disappears after I plug my other keyboard with 5-din to PS\2 adapter(it shows as PS\2 compatible keyboard in DM).
 Here is device_ID ACPI\PNP0F03, IRQ 0x0000000C (12) and driver is mouclass.sys that "PS\2 compatible mouse" uses.
Probably because my Asus motherboard has single port for KB and mouse, BIOS sends wrong device_ID to Windows when it reads old AT PS\2 protocol and then Win loads wrong driver. I can't find any PS\2 settings in BIOS, so there is three options to me right now:
1)Change motherboard for one with separate PS\2 ports for KB and mouse. I'll try that option on next weekend.
2)Use PS\2 to USB active adapter\controller. Pricey option.
3)Try force Windows to use correct driver. Desirable option.

So, here is questions:

Can I rename keyboard driver kbdclass.dll and swap it with mouse one or there any other way around to force load correct driver?

I found Aten UC100KMA USB-PS2 controller in store nearby for around 40 USD. It has only few feedbacks on Amazon, does anyone have used it with AT or PS\2 keyboards?
I tested my keyboards on another PC(Award BIOS and Win XP) with two separate PS\2 ports and both are working fine, as i thought.

On my Win 7 I managed to forced keyboard driver by editing INI file and changing device_ID. Windows recognised device and in device manager it appears as working PS\2 compatible keyboard, instead of non working PS\2 compatible mouse, but Windows still assign wrong IRQ(12) to it and PC ATs don't work. I cannot change IRQ on resource tab in DM, since all settings are greyed out, but if anyone knows way to change it, please, tell me.

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 00:23:10 »
I'm not sure of the OP is still active on this forum, but somewhere it is mentioned that the PC/AT keyboard takes its own driver, called the 84-key AT keyboard driver. 
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 04:59:35 »
I'm not sure of the OP is still active on this forum, but somewhere it is mentioned that the PC/AT keyboard takes its own driver, called the 84-key AT keyboard driver.

you were so close to an anniversary bump too!!!