Author Topic: Scotch  (Read 66722 times)

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
Re: Scotch
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 06:25:33 »
of all the RVW's, the 15yr is the best, IMO.
I have some Black Maple Hill bourbon on hand and I find it's an excellent rounded bourbon

For Scotch, I'm not a peat fan so I prefer highland Scotch like Clynelish (coastal highland).  Speyside if nothing else available.. but I tend to ward off islay.

Everyone rants about the 20 being the best, but I honestly prefer the 23 ...... gone through 3 bottles.    Value wise, the 15 is easily the best, but if I'm paying the same amount, I'd rather drink the 20.

LOT of other great bourbons that I truly enjoy.   Jefferson Prez Reserve 17 and 18 from  Stitzel Weller casks (hard to find now, but really easy to find a few years ago),  Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel Limited, and my favorite inexpensive bourbon, Evan Williams Single Barrel ... less than $24!!

I started out drinking sweeter sherried Scotch, but now I crave the smokey peaty stuff.   Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Kilchoman, Laphroaig, etc......

Start off with Highland Park, aka the best all-arounder.   HP 18 should be on everyone's shopping list!!  And then move on from there.   

A lot of great bottles out there and it doesn't need to be hideously expensive. 

For starter bottles, Macallan 12, Balvenie 12, Cragganmore, and HP 15.   

Offline tgujay

« Reply #151 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:56:57 »
Evan Williams Single Barrel

Mah nigga
Gotta collect them all

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:58:37 »
of all the RVW's, the 15yr is the best, IMO.
I have some Black Maple Hill bourbon on hand and I find it's an excellent rounded bourbon

For Scotch, I'm not a peat fan so I prefer highland Scotch like Clynelish (coastal highland).  Speyside if nothing else available.. but I tend to ward off islay.

Everyone rants about the 20 being the best, but I honestly prefer the 23 ...... gone through 3 bottles.    Value wise, the 15 is easily the best, but if I'm paying the same amount, I'd rather drink the 20.

LOT of other great bourbons that I truly enjoy.   Jefferson Prez Reserve 17 and 18 from  Stitzel Weller casks (hard to find now, but really easy to find a few years ago),  Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel Limited, and my favorite inexpensive bourbon, Evan Williams Single Barrel ... less than $24!!

I started out drinking sweeter sherried Scotch, but now I crave the smokey peaty stuff.   Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Kilchoman, Laphroaig, etc......

Start off with Highland Park, aka the best all-arounder.   HP 18 should be on everyone's shopping list!!  And then move on from there.   

A lot of great bottles out there and it doesn't need to be hideously expensive. 

For starter bottles, Macallan 12, Balvenie 12, Cragganmore, and HP 15.   

I have much to learn from you!

Will try the "starter bottles".
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 08:54:19 »
Anyone a fan of Lagvulin? I get the 16 fairly often, and Ardbeg 10yr is my cheap alternative for making rusty nails.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 17:56:17 »
Yup, I'm a big Lagavulin fan. The 12 year old is even better. The younger the Islay, the more peat it will have.

If you can find it, try to find some Talisker Dark Storm. That's like incredibly peaty.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 18:41:27 »
The issue with peat (for me) is I love woody + peaty scotches the most, but most peaty scotch distilleries seem to think if you like peat you would also enjoy the taste of unfiltered sea water. An example being Ardbeg Uigeadail which I found downright vile, every sip made me gag. Like alcoholic liquid salt.

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 22:24:19 »
I have only tried Argbeg's 10yr, and its my peaty "cheap" go to for rusty nails. I can't use lagvulin for mixing, it hurts me inside. lol

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 06:07:03 »
The issue with peat (for me) is I love woody + peaty scotches the most, but most peaty scotch distilleries seem to think if you like peat you would also enjoy the taste of unfiltered sea water. An example being Ardbeg Uigeadail which I found downright vile, every sip made me gag. Like alcoholic liquid salt.

Different tastes I guess. Every sip of Ardbeg is pretty much heavenly for me.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #158 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 12:36:38 »
I just found this thread after looking at scotch bottles in the hundreds at some International airport in some country that I can't remember anymore because of jetlag.  Some really great suggestions in here!  And it seems most of the bottles are not that bad cost-wise either.

So what's with the $400 and $900 bottles I was seeing?

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 02:49:38 »
I just found this thread after looking at scotch bottles in the hundreds at some International airport in some country that I can't remember anymore because of jetlag.  Some really great suggestions in here!  And it seems most of the bottles are not that bad cost-wise either.

Generally speaking, this thread is pretty funny. While the big names worth noting are all mentioned, there's much misguided opinion presented as hard fact. Rule one for booze: don't listen to anyone who is using their opinion/taste/knowledge as a superiority thing. Since the 20th century really good alcohol is available all over and at all price ranges, with some production caveats. So drink what you like, and you'll never be wrong.

Truly expensive scotch (>$400) is either a status symbol (macallan 30), a marketing trick (largely blends), or a lost distillery (never look up Port Ellen prices). My bottle of 1982 Glenlochy was $400 a few years ago (closed and dismantled 1983). It is the most expensive whisky I own, but not my favorite.

But the most important thing to know about whisky is to share, enjoy it with friends, and to savor the moment and the memories. Price, location, and what internet bros think about it doesn't matter one bit.

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 09:35:02 »
" drink what you like, and you'll never be wrong. "

Indeed.

Speaking of what you like though, I just picked up a bottle of Yamazaki 18yr Japanese whiskey for the New Years toast. Anyone else fancy Japanese whiskey as well? I find I like it just as much as scotch - which I found surprising if only because I am huge fan of Islays and the Yamazaki is anything but peaty...

:)

Offline lolpes

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 10:03:48 »
Got a 15 year glenfiddich for christmas :D

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 10:48:54 »
Yamazaki 18 is great, and it was really great a few years ago when readily available at $90/bottle.   Now it's closer to $300 a bottle and for that kind of money, I would just prefer to drink something else. 

Nikka Coffey is a nice bottle for reasonable money!!

On the MUCH more expensive end, Yamazaki 25 is amazing!!

Indeed.

Speaking of what you like though, I just picked up a bottle of Yamazaki 18yr Japanese whiskey for the New Years toast. Anyone else fancy Japanese whiskey as well? I find I like it just as much as scotch - which I found surprising if only because I am huge fan of Islays and the Yamazaki is anything but peaty...

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #163 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 10:49:42 »
Nice gift!!   I get/give a lot of Scotch/bourbon during the Holidays!!

Offline lolpes

« Reply #164 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 10:53:21 »
Nice gift!!   I get/give a lot of Scotch/bourbon during the Holidays!!

I loved it :D also gave some to my guests when we oppened the gifts (the whole family gets together) and now I only have like 3 glasses left xD already hidden the rest of the  bottle just for me xD

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 11:40:57 »
Yamazaki 18 is great, and it was really great a few years ago when readily available at $90/bottle.   Now it's closer to $300 a bottle and for that kind of money, I would just prefer to drink something else. 

Nikka Coffey is a nice bottle for reasonable money!!

On the MUCH more expensive end, Yamazaki 25 is amazing!!

Indeed.

Yeah, with the explosion in popularity for whisk(e)y in the past couple of years, many reliably excellent expressions have become obscenely priced. Whiskies produced in Asia seem to be hit hardest by the price explosion. I used to enjoy a dram of hibiki (interestingly finished in umeshu casks) but not at the $90 or so for a bottle they want for it now.

My still-under-the-radar list is:
Penderyn - a Cymric malt that is independent and excellent.
Monkey shoulder - a thoughtful all malt blend from Glenfarclas (iirc)
Any Scottish *Grain* Whisky - these are much harder to find, since they aren't typically marketed and sold. They only become available when independent bottlers (Signatory, Gordon & MacPhail, etc) acquire an old cask, and even then, you probably won't recognize the distillery. But that 21 year old North British Distillery grain whisky for less than $100 is probably the best deal in the shop. The reason you don't recognize the distilleries is that they almost exclusively sell to blends. Some good deals for malts that also sell primarily to blends, like Blair Atholl, also exist because the general public doesn't recognize the name.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 12:17:10 »
Not scoth related, pls don't hate me for it, but i wanted to share my gift for my dad, he loves gin and recently I found a store that sold a couple of these and got him one:

Thought this was the right place to share it :) if not, pls point me to it ;)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 07:53:56 »

Generally speaking, this thread is pretty funny. While the big names worth noting are all mentioned, there's much misguided opinion presented as hard fact. Rule one for booze: don't listen to anyone who is using their opinion/taste/knowledge as a superiority thing. Since the 20th century really good alcohol is available all over and at all price ranges, with some production caveats. So drink what you like, and you'll never be wrong.

Truly expensive scotch (>$400) is either a status symbol (macallan 30), a marketing trick (largely blends), or a lost distillery (never look up Port Ellen prices). My bottle of 1982 Glenlochy was $400 a few years ago (closed and dismantled 1983). It is the most expensive whisky I own, but not my favorite.

But the most important thing to know about whisky is to share, enjoy it with friends, and to savor the moment and the memories. Price, location, and what internet bros think about it doesn't matter one bit.

Thank you.  After reading and reading about scotch, I realize that in the end, it's still about what tastes good to you. :)

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 08:43:08 »

Thank you.  After reading and reading about scotch, I realize that in the end, it's still about what tastes good to you. :)

I'll beg to differ just a bit.   Taste and value are subjective.   And they both change with time and experience.   My first pour was a Macallan 25.   I'll never forget it.   10-11 yrs ago when one could purchase a bottle of Macallan 25 for $450, it was fairly reasonable deal (obviously for those who could afford it).   Now a bottle is more than double that cost.   Why??   Supply and demand and rarity.   

Now for someone like my buddy (absyrd) who enjoys Jack n Coke, maybe a "neat" pour of Macallan 25 is wasted.   But someone for loves Macallan 12, 15, 17, 21, it's a incredible treat, and a bit of a luxury.   

Luckily, I purchased and bunkered a few bottles here and there that I love.   Now I can't justify the cost for many bottles that were considered daily pours just a few years ago.   Scotch (and bourbon) are now very trendy and purchased all over the world ...... mostly in Asia.   And age stated Scotch will soon be gone.   Takes a long time to bottle a 25 or a 30 or 40 year old Scotch.   

Lastly, collecting and speculating has taken over the Scotch world.   Many are buying for investment purposes and bottles get auctioned off or cellared, never to be enjoyed.   

Go to tastings.   Enjoy with friends.   Stay within your budget and all is well!!    And remember, Scotch has zero carbs and zero sugar .....it's practically healthy.  So enjoy a dram or two here and there and then decide for yourself whether a Balvenie 21 is worth the price difference over a Balvenie 15, or whether Glenlivet 21 is a more enjoyable than Glenlivet 10.   I'll unequivacolly say YESSIR it is.   :thumb:

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 11:45:29 »

I'll beg to differ just a bit.   Taste and value are subjective.   And they both change with time and experience.   My first pour was a Macallan 25.   I'll never forget it.   10-11 yrs ago when one could purchase a bottle of Macallan 25 for $450, it was fairly reasonable deal (obviously for those who could afford it).   Now a bottle is more than double that cost.   Why??   Supply and demand and rarity.   

Now for someone like my buddy (absyrd) who enjoys Jack n Coke, maybe a "neat" pour of Macallan 25 is wasted.   But someone for loves Macallan 12, 15, 17, 21, it's a incredible treat, and a bit of a luxury.   

Luckily, I purchased and bunkered a few bottles here and there that I love.   Now I can't justify the cost for many bottles that were considered daily pours just a few years ago.   Scotch (and bourbon) are now very trendy and purchased all over the world ...... mostly in Asia.   And age stated Scotch will soon be gone.   Takes a long time to bottle a 25 or a 30 or 40 year old Scotch.   

Lastly, collecting and speculating has taken over the Scotch world.   Many are buying for investment purposes and bottles get auctioned off or cellared, never to be enjoyed.   

Go to tastings.   Enjoy with friends.   Stay within your budget and all is well!!    And remember, Scotch has zero carbs and zero sugar .....it's practically healthy.  So enjoy a dram or two here and there and then decide for yourself whether a Balvenie 21 is worth the price difference over a Balvenie 15, or whether Glenlivet 21 is a more enjoyable than Glenlivet 10.   I'll unequivacolly say YESSIR it is.   :thumb:

Nope, we are saying exactly the same thing. The macallan 25 *is* a special dram, and very good. But the $900 price tag is due to the name recognition. The older macallan expressions are as much about power, money, and luxury as they are a good whisky. But it is very good whisky.

But you might consider that my favorite retailer currently has a 29 year old speyside malt for $190. It's not moving off the shelves very quickly because no one has ever heard of Linkwood distillery. Probably because nearly every drop out of the still is destined for johnnie walker and other diageo blends. But I will wager it is the equal of the big name 30 year old expressions at a tiny fraction of the price.

One other small thing to consider about old whisky. There were trends about what wood to use for casks in different eras. The 30 year and older stuff is often in ex-port casks, the 15-25 often in ex-sherry, and more recent in ex-bourbon. Certainly, there are exceptions, and expressions that are aged mostly in one wood, but finished in another. It's helpful to know, as some of my acquaintances thought that they preferred older whisky due to the age, but what they really liked was the sherry cask, which lends a very rich, gingerbread like flavor to the whisky. They would be just as happy with something like a younger glenfarclas from sherry hogshead. 

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 13:18:35 »
Yep, it's this aspect about Scotch that I'm trying to grasp.  I always seem to want to understand why something costs so much, from expensive cars, to keyboards, and now Scotch...

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 13:20:38 »
One other small thing to consider about old whisky. There were trends about what wood to use for casks in different eras. The 30 year and older stuff is often in ex-port casks, the 15-25 often in ex-sherry, and more recent in ex-bourbon. Certainly, there are exceptions, and expressions that are aged mostly in one wood, but finished in another. It's helpful to know, as some of my acquaintances thought that they preferred older whisky due to the age, but what they really liked was the sherry cask, which lends a very rich, gingerbread like flavor to the whisky. They would be just as happy with something like a younger glenfarclas from sherry hogshead. 
Great stuff!  That's why it's important to know what's in your Scotch and its heritage.   At least that's what I picked up from what you posted.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 17:03:19 »
Got an antique crystal decanter for XMas, but it's probably leaded, so no scotch in there for me.  :(

What should I get for around ~$50? I like Glenlivet, but have been thinking of trying something completely different. Laphroaig perhaps?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 18:54:17 »
Got an antique crystal decanter for XMas, but it's probably leaded, so no scotch in there for me.  :(

What should I get for around ~$50? I like Glenlivet, but have been thinking of trying something completely different. Laphroaig perhaps?
I'm a big fan of the Balvenie 12. I think you can get that for around $50.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 19:06:13 »

I love some laphroaig.

Was at a liquor store(more like warehouse) in Vegas today. They had several scotch priced at over $30,000. Forget the name but it was 36 years old or so.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 19:11:08 »
I'd love some day to drink a scotch as old as I am. Think I'm running out of time though. Anyone here accomplished such a feat?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 19:13:33 »

I'd love some day to drink a scotch as old as I am. Think I'm running out of time though. Anyone here accomplished such a feat?

I wish! I still have a few years left I suppose. Too bad I didn't like scotch in high school hehe

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #177 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 19:39:38 »

I don't know how old you are, or if you are in a state with shipping reciprocity with California, but this is a stupid-good deal for whisky from years where production was lean: http://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=1227528

The problem with old whisky is that the market completely collapsed in the early 1980s. Vodka was the hip drink and brown liquid of many types was eschewed as old and stuffy. We lost many distilleries in the mid 80s and production was scaled back considerably. You won't find as much stuff available right now in the 20-30 year range, and certainly not at prices you will like. Except for maybe the bottle I linked.

As for me, I've had some older than myself. I've had a wine from my actual birth year, but not a whisky.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 20:06:35 »

I don't know how old you are, or if you are in a state with shipping reciprocity with California, but this is a stupid-good deal for whisky from years where production was lean: http://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=1227528

The problem with old whisky is that the market completely collapsed in the early 1980s. Vodka was the hip drink and brown liquid of many types was eschewed as old and stuffy. We lost many distilleries in the mid 80s and production was scaled back considerably. You won't find as much stuff available right now in the 20-30 year range, and certainly not at prices you will like. Except for maybe the bottle I linked.

As for me, I've had some older than myself. I've had a wine from my actual birth year, but not a whisky.
Show Image

A year late unfortunately! Cool find though.

Very interesting history, that sentiment of brown spirits being "old and stuffy" is definitely something many of my peers through college would have agreed with, hah.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 06:29:56 »
...this is a stupid-good deal for whisky from years where production was lean: http://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=1227528
Thank you for the link!  Does sounds like some good stuff indeed.  :cool:

Very interesting history, that sentiment of brown spirits being "old and stuffy" is definitely something many of my peers through college would have agreed with, hah.
Interesting fact--one of my best buddies gets angry when he drinks dark spirits as opposed to light ones.  He's 6'4" and about 280 all muscle so I was careful around him when he touched any dark stuff.  :eek:  He used to completely stay away from spirits and just drank beers before he made the discovery.  Anyone know why this might work this way?

Offline tribade

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 19:37:16 »

Show Image

Awesome, thanks for the link!  That's my birth year so I'm going to have to pick it up for a special occasion.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 07:48:40 »
So we went to a friend's house last night and he had some Glenlivet 12 year.  Even though I had a cold and my nose was pretty stuffed, I had to try a few sips.  I swirled it a few times and got a sniff before tasting it each time (3 sips)--it had different flavors and even burn on one sip, but boy is that finish smooth!  Not harsh like the Kentucky Bourbon whiskies.  Quite nice!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #182 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 20:32:54 »
Saw that Sam's Club actually carries Glenlivet 25 year for under $400/bottle.  I'm tempted to get a bottle since it will probably last me 10-20 years, lol.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 12:39:07 »
If you're willing to spend $400 on a bottle of Glenlivet, why not get 33 year old instead?  (And bottled at cask strength to boot!  You will want to add water, and there is no shame in doing so, which will make the bottle last longer.) :)

Offline darkclone24

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 13:07:07 »
Saw that Sam's Club actually carries Glenlivet 25 year for under $400/bottle.  I'm tempted to get a bottle since it will probably last me 10-20 years, lol.

Be careful with that thinking, oxidisation can cause spirits to lose flavour over time. My general rule is to consume a bottle within a year once opened. Depending on strength, it may last 2 or 3 years, but at some point you're going to start losing a lot of flavour. A bottle open for 20 years would basically be brown vodka. I once went through the stuff my grandad left to my parents and it was all foul.
RS84 67g Zealio Purple | Choc Mini MX Black | WASD V2 MX Clear | Golbat 78g Zealio Purple | Duck Octagon V2 MX Clear

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #185 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 13:09:02 »
If you're willing to spend $400 on a bottle of Glenlivet, why not get 33 year old instead?  (And bottled at cask strength to boot!  You will want to add water, and there is no shame in doing so, which will make the bottle last longer.) :)
Oooo, much better!  Would it be wise to drink this neat though?  Or will cask strength be a bit too much?

Offline darkclone24

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 17:01:18 »
Oooo, much better!  Would it be wise to drink this neat though?  Or will cask strength be a bit too much?

51.1% ABV isn't too bad neat, you just have to take it slower than the regular strength stuff.

Start with it neat and have a couple sips, then add a couple drops of water (a pipette is useful here), then taste again. Keep going until you hit the spot.

This is essentially what master distillers do, they just keep very close track of it all and find what they think is the perfect strength for that whisky and distribute it as such.
RS84 67g Zealio Purple | Choc Mini MX Black | WASD V2 MX Clear | Golbat 78g Zealio Purple | Duck Octagon V2 MX Clear

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 17:06:18 »

It depends.  Some people really like their whisky at higher proof.  Sometimes it depends on the whisky.  It seems like the sweet spot for most malts is in the 45% abv range.  This isn't too far off at 51%.  There's many malts I have enjoyed at the 50-55% range, but above that and I'll just about always add water. 

It's not a bad idea to pour a bit of whisky, try it straight, and then add a little bit of water and taste again.  You'll taste different things as you add water and there will be a point at which it kind of "locks in" where it is full and lush, and no longer astringent or hot.  For me, if I go too far then it tastes sweet, thin, and weak (but not bad...).

...saying the same thinga as darkclone24, who just sniped me while I was typing.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #188 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 22:58:29 »

It depends.  Some people really like their whisky at higher proof.  Sometimes it depends on the whisky.  It seems like the sweet spot for most malts is in the 45% abv range.  This isn't too far off at 51%.  There's many malts I have enjoyed at the 50-55% range, but above that and I'll just about always add water. 

It's not a bad idea to pour a bit of whisky, try it straight, and then add a little bit of water and taste again.  You'll taste different things as you add water and there will be a point at which it kind of "locks in" where it is full and lush, and no longer astringent or hot.  For me, if I go too far then it tastes sweet, thin, and weak (but not bad...).

...saying the same thinga as darkclone24, who just sniped me while I was typing.

I've tried my own water mixing (all scotch is mixed down to drinkable) from "cask strength" bottles with mediocre results. It seems the water from the source is also important to the flavor.
-Dana

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 07:46:40 »
Great info!  And I think you're right that the source of the water will matter.  I'm sure tap water with other elements will react whereas distilled water might not.

Offline Zeroo

« Reply #190 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:41:25 »
Recently started drinking Whisky on a more regular basis after I got a bottle of JW Black and Glen Moray Classic.

Both are quite enjoyable considering the price. JW Black is one of the better blends imo although Red is pretty crap. Looking at getting a bottle of Bruichladdich or Laphroaig once my bills have been paid.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 07:59:47 »
Ardbeg by the sea = yum!  ;D

Please excuse the potato pic.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 January 2016, 08:02:03 by Lansky »
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #192 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 11:43:18 »
Nice!  I've spent money on keyboards, so my Scotch collection will have to wait a bit, hehe.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #193 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 20:52:37 »
Sipping on some Glenmorangie 12yr thinking about how much I miss this thread....

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 01:41:59 »
Going to my first scotch tasting party this month. Pretty excited. I'm only 1 bottle and 3 samples into the hobby. Here is our line up:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #195 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 01:55:46 »
Going to my first scotch tasting party this month. Pretty excited. I'm only 1 bottle and 3 samples into the hobby. Here is our line up:

Damn, Glenlivet 25. Very nice.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #196 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 02:00:50 »
I am pretty excited. I bought the Glenmorangie gift set a few months ago and really worked on getting used to the taste of the regular 10 year before moving on to the better ones. He is matching foods with each scotch for the tasting. Just found this thread a bit ago!

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #197 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 02:09:08 »
oh hey i wasn't aware this thread existed. bully for me. i'm drunk 90% of my life thanks to scrothch and crippling depression.... typically blends (dewers and johnny walker red) because the more you drink the less taste matters, and i drink a **** ton, but for my 21st birthday I got a bottle of glengoyne 21 year and that's probably the best i've had. right now i'm finishing up a bottle of glen moray 12 year that's not bad. a little too... idk ...floral? I like deeper notes typically but if it gets me drunk... 
Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #198 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 08:25:48 »
oh hey i wasn't aware this thread existed. bully for me. i'm drunk 90% of my life thanks to scrothch and crippling depression.... typically blends (dewers and johnny walker red) because the more you drink the less taste matters, and i drink a **** ton, but for my 21st birthday I got a bottle of glengoyne 21 year and that's probably the best i've had. right now i'm finishing up a bottle of glen moray 12 year that's not bad. a little too... idk ...floral? I like deeper notes typically but if it gets me drunk... 

You don't seem that drunk..  got most of ur words spelled correctly.. hahaahahah

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #199 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 14:19:15 »

Damn, Glenlivet 25. Very nice.

Sipping Glenlivet 25 right now. Delicious.