Author Topic: Scotch  (Read 67031 times)

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
Re: Scotch
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 15:21:17 »
what kind of schotch?? if its alchohol scotch i dont drinki  \t
hi.

Offline Kominyetska

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 15:27:44 »
Bowmore 15 is really smooth. Love the maple flavor.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 15:31:11 »
Going to my first scotch tasting party this month. Pretty excited. I'm only 1 bottle and 3 samples into the hobby. Here is our line up:

Damn, Glenlivet 25. Very nice.

Sipping Glenlivet 25 right now. Delicious.

Now that's good stuff!!   You need to stop by for some Highland Park 30!!   

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 21:01:23 »
The Scotch tasting is this next Monday. I will see if I can snap some pics.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 13:37:27 »
What's the base list ya'll got on scotch..

I'm getting bored of this 4rose ya'll recommended years ago..  finished my 7th bottle this afternoon.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 14:04:10 »
Honestly? I have a hard time recommending any single malt these days. The prices are through the roof. If you must have a single malt, I think the independent bottlers (signatory, Duncan Taylor, etc. ) are a better deal. But you might not ever see the same thing twice. For a blended, monkey shoulder is still a great value.

Ive personally been buying old single grain whisky from Scotland. They tend to be 1/2 to 1/3 the price of similarly aged single malts. Again, though, I don't have a specific recommendation because these are sold one barrel at a time. Anything from north British distillery is really good, and because no one knows the name, is cheap. The other thing I've been buying is cognac/Armagnac. There are 25 year old offerings all over the place for under $100. Way better value than single malts.

All of that said, if you're insistent on a malt: glenfarclas 12. Highland, sherry cask. It's maybe $10 more than it should be, but it is reliably delicious.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 December 2016, 14:15:44 by Spopepro »

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #206 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 14:52:47 »
My favourite is Ardbeg but it's getting a little spendy lately. Talisker is an acceptable substitute.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #207 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 22:16:26 »
Vacation starts tonight with a little **** and a little booze.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #208 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 23:51:21 »
Merry christmas my doodz, what ya'll sippin on this evening ---- Im drinking some glencadam 15 that was gifted to me! Its quuiteeeee amazeeeeee

;)
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline Chief Clukey

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 00:41:36 »
Highland Park 12 is getting me through the holidays. Not a bad scotch for the money  :thumb:

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 00:56:04 »
Highland Park 12 is getting me through the holidays. Not a bad scotch for the money  :thumb:

Oooo yes, highland park is top notch, nice m8
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #211 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 01:21:28 »
I can't stand any smokiness at all, in any food or drink. I was brought up on Johnnie Walker because that is what my dad used to buy when he travelled, so the taste of JW has been what is whisky to me.

If I want a non-smoky scotch whisky somewhat like JW, but smoother and with a deeper, more refined flavour, what would you recommend?
I see recommendations here for Dalwhinnie and Highland Park, but in catalogues they are listed as having some smokiness, so I'm afraid those are not really for me.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #212 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 01:21:41 »
Hey guys, have not uploaded pics yet but here is the list from the Scotch Party I went to:

1. Macallan 12 year (I think)
2. Balvenie Doublewood 17 year
3. Glenlivet 25 year
4. Oban 14 year
5. Ardbeg 10 year
6. Glenmrangie Signet

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #213 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 08:15:01 »
I can't stand any smokiness at all, in any food or drink. I was brought up on Johnnie Walker because that is what my dad used to buy when he travelled, so the taste of JW has been what is whisky to me.

If I want a non-smoky scotch whisky somewhat like JW, but smoother and with a deeper, more refined flavour, what would you recommend?
I see recommendations here for Dalwhinnie and Highland Park, but in catalogues they are listed as having some smokiness, so I'm afraid those are not really for me.

You want to find highland/speyside malts done the way they have always been. Historically, the west coast and islands used peat for malting the barley, but the east coast used wood, which results in minimal smoke. Now, in modern times no one is lighting fires, but certain distilleries have kept their stuff the same. My recommendations are:

Glenfarclas- no smoke, sherry cask, reminds me of spice cake. What I serve to guests who "don't like scotch" and it's always a winner.
Mortlach or linkwood- you like JW black? Take some mortlach and linkwood, add a bit of lagavulin and caol ila for some smoke, round it out with some cardhu, Blair athol, and traces of a few others to balance out the batch inconsistencies, top it off with some grain whisky from north British distillery and you have it. Point is: if you like JW, then find some single malt from mortlach or linkwood because that's the backbone of the blend. They are both individually very good, and linkwood in particular can be found at good prices because no one recognizes it.
Arran- the price on this has climbed as of late, but it's really good. It's an island whisky, but is not peated--they do it in the lowland style (similar to the outstanding bladnoch, which is really hard to find and has been in and out of bankruptcy the last few years)

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 13:58:52 »

Dalwhinnie is my favourite non-peaty dram.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #215 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 14:00:14 »

Dalwhinnie is my favourite non-peaty dram.

Same here. Not too sweet, no sea water taste, very approachable for those new to scotch, yet very complex for those who can appreciate it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #216 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 13:23:49 »
157676-0

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #217 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 05:10:57 »
(Attachment Link)

'fiddich -> yawn.
Actually I haven't tried that one but I'm assuming it's one of those heavy rich "christmas pudding" kind of things.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #218 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 21:01:21 »

Happy St. Paddy's day  :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #219 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 21:14:39 »
Show Image

Happy St. Paddy's day  :thumb:

Tp4 can only fordz the rot-gut

163266-0

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:35:22 »

I just poured myself some of this bad boy. One of my all time favs.  ;D
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #221 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:50:33 »
Show Image

is cl , centiliters ?

the bottle is $67 ?

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #222 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 03:10:00 »
Show Image

is cl , centiliters ?

the bottle is $67 ?

Yes, the bottle is 70 centiliters. I think I paid around 87 USD for it.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 04:02:27 »
Show Image

is cl , centiliters ?

the bottle is $67 ?

Jesus.. you super rich Danes...

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #224 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 15:01:50 »
Balvenie Double Wood.. really smooth and delicious

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #225 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 06:49:15 »
Balvenie Double Wood.. really smooth and delicious

Used to be good about 10 years ago. Has fallen off since.
One of the Jura bottlings reminded me of how the doublewood used to taste back in it's heyday, I think it was the Origin http://www.jurawhisky.com/en/our-whiskies/origin

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 11:19:55 »
Show Image

is cl , centiliters ?

the bottle is $67 ?

Jesus.. you super rich Danes...

Well, it's the most expensive bottle I own, I don't normally spend this kind of money on whisky. It's a rare occasion. But it's worth it.  ;D

Offline keyplanocator

« Reply #227 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 21:55:30 »
fiance's sister sent us a bottle of glenmorangie as a congratulations gift.

best thing i've drank in years....

happy saturday! drinking cheap costco whiskey and lurking the classified section right now. although...jesus costco whiskey aint bad for the price.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #228 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 23:36:14 »
fiance's sister sent us a bottle of glenmorangie as a congratulations gift.

best thing i've drank in years....

happy saturday! drinking cheap costco whiskey and lurking the classified section right now. although...jesus costco whiskey aint bad for the price.

Tp4 only drinks costco vodka..   Pretty solid and clean.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #229 on: Sat, 12 October 2019, 21:19:58 »
Man, I FINALLY got a call from my local specialty liquor store they got one bottle of Pappy's in and they are gonna hold it for me. This was a request I'd put in like 1 1/2 years ago, so after work I go down there super excited only to find out it was $1200! WHAT THE ACTUAL LIVING ****? I was prepared to drop like a couple hundred, maybey even 3 or 4 but that is downright hype levels of absurd. I laughed right in his face while I cried on the inside and wound up getting this instead.

Offline saint_james

« Reply #230 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 02:49:59 »
Man, I FINALLY got a call from my local specialty liquor store they got one bottle of Pappy's in and they are gonna hold it for me. This was a request I'd put in like 1 1/2 years ago, so after work I go down there super excited only to find out it was $1200! WHAT THE ACTUAL LIVING ****? I was prepared to drop like a couple hundred, maybey even 3 or 4 but that is downright hype levels of absurd. I laughed right in his face while I cried on the inside and wound up getting this instead.
Show Image

That's effing robbery for Pappy's.  Weller B 12-year is basically the same stuff, and used to be an affordable workaround for those in the know... but now that stuff is also unobtainium. I've had both a few times, and they were good.  But not $1200 worth of good.  There's a limit dictated by common sense.  Think about this:  MacAllan 18-year goes for $250-325... Is Pappy's worth 4-6 times that?  Not even close.   

As for your consolation purchase, that is an A+ in my book.  Nikka Coffey Grain and Nikka Coffey Malt are both outstanding, and are on my short list of favorites.  Nikka in hand beats Pappy's or Weller on backorder every time.
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)
Active: FC980C | FC660C Low-noise | RF 87u 55g | RF 23u
Inactive: WASD v2 | Pok3r | QFR | Aukey KM-G9 | Compaq RT101
Dead and buried: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #231 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 23:17:18 »
Show Image

That's effing robbery for Pappy's.  Weller B 12-year is basically the same stuff, and used to be an affordable workaround for those in the know... but now that stuff is also unobtainium. I've had both a few times, and they were good.  But not $1200 worth of good.  There's a limit dictated by common sense.  Think about this:  MacAllan 18-year goes for $250-325... Is Pappy's worth 4-6 times that?  Not even close.   

As for your consolation purchase, that is an A+ in my book.  Nikka Coffey Grain and Nikka Coffey Malt are both outstanding, and are on my short list of favorites.  Nikka in hand beats Pappy's or Weller on backorder every time.

The weird thing about the Nikka Coffey name is its already confusing making most people, including the guy at who sold it to me, believe it has a coffee flavor to it which it does not in the slightest. Being named Coffey for the rare and specialized still used to make it.

To further the confusion of the poor scotch consumer is the Malted one. Called Nikka Coffey Malted Whiskey - which is neither coffee flavored nor is it malt whiskey. Only being called malted due to the malted barley used to make it, and is in fact a grain whiskey.

For ****'s sake Nikka, you are confusing everyone unfamiliar with your brand!

Offline saint_james

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 23:32:46 »
Show Image

The weird thing about the Nikka Coffey name is its already confusing making most people, including the guy at who sold it to me, believe it has a coffee flavor to it which it does not in the slightest. Being named Coffey for the rare and specialized still used to make it.

To further the confusion of the poor scotch consumer is the Malted one. Called Nikka Coffey Malted Whiskey - which is neither coffee flavored nor is it malt whiskey. Only being called malted due to the malted barley used to make it, and is in fact a grain whiskey.

For ****'s sake Nikka, you are confusing everyone unfamiliar with your brand!

The enlightened and the faithful know. Infidels, heretics and the unwashed masses will won't understand. Hahaha!

J/K.  I love Nikka.  Those to whom I've introduced it have really enjoyed it as well.  It's my go-to when I'm not enjoying honest-to-goodness Scotch.
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #233 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 14:08:52 »
Scotch tape is okay.

But Butterscotch? No

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #234 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 22:10:12 »
The enlightened and the faithful know. Infidels, heretics and the unwashed masses will won't understand. Hahaha!

J/K.  I love Nikka.  Those to whom I've introduced it have really enjoyed it as well.  It's my go-to when I'm not enjoying honest-to-goodness Scotch.

What's the latest good Gift scotch, doesn't cost arm / legg.

used2be 4rose, buh that's old now.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #235 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 22:25:28 »

It depends on how much you value your limbs. You can always find excellent bottles for $60-90. Around the $80 mark you are basically getting the best ****, everything above that is diminishing returns.

Offline saint_james

« Reply #236 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 22:33:59 »

It depends on how much you value your limbs. You can always find excellent bottles for $60-90. Around the $80 mark you are basically getting the best ****, everything above that is diminishing returns.

TP4,

If you're gifting scotch on a budget, check out Old Pulteney 12-year.  Runs around $30-40ish.  It's a really decent scotch without breaking the bank.

Edit:  If you can afford a bit more, consider The Balvenie 14-year Caribbean Cask at around $80.  It's finished in Caribbean Rum casks and imparts some honey and fruit flavors.  It's friendly and approachable even to those who are not Scotch enthusiasts.

Edited to clarify expense and to mention TB 14-yr.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2019, 22:54:03 by saint_james »
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)

Offline saint_james

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 23:01:21 »

4 Roses Single Barrel is still an outstanding choice, if you are into sweeter Bourbons.  If your preference is for dry spirits this may seem too sweet. 
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #238 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 23:33:53 »
I think Dalwhinnie 15 is like the perfect balance between being approachable and sweet enough for non-scotch drinkers, and complex enough to please hardcore peat chuggers.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 23:43:12 »
Teach me to be a connoisseur.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 18 October 2019, 09:00:02 »
Teach me to be a connoisseur.
If you're gifting scotch on a budget, check out Old Pulteney 12-year.  Runs around $30-40ish. 
 The Balvenie 14-year Caribbean Cask at around $80.
4 Roses Single Barrel is still an outstanding choice, if you are into sweeter Bourbons.  If your preference is for dry spirits this may seem too sweet.
I think Dalwhinnie 15 is like the perfect balance between being approachable and sweet enough for non-scotch drinkers, and complex enough to please hardcore peat chuggers.

Thx for the recs guys,  Wallet ha(k incoming..

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #241 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 16:23:35 »
It is November 2019, and I drink Johnnie Walker Black Label

230473-0

Now, where is my flying car?

BTW. that is a double shot of whisky. It is a really big glass, the same type that Deckard drank out of.
No, I haven't got a special replica bottle.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 November 2019, 17:09:42 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #242 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 16:39:35 »
How is Glenlivet. Saw sale @ costco.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #243 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 20:16:54 »
How is Glenlivet. Saw sale @ costco.

If you're talking the 12 year old; An entry-level sweet, apply scotch. Soft, approachable, and predictable. It's fine, but won't impress anyone. Probably the most popular single malt on the market due to it's availability, so many times it defaults to baby's first single malt.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 17:07:09 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2020, 11:00:05 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline carnageasada

« Reply #245 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 11:12:00 »
Any Laphroaig, all day.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #246 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 09:25:46 »

I thought so as well - then I found the Springbank 15. A poem of a cask!
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W