Author Topic: IC threads being removed?  (Read 6998 times)

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
IC threads being removed?
« on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 04:53:46 »
I just noticed that both the IC threads for GMK Rainy Day and GMK Red Dragon disappeared right after the groupbuys started.

Is there a specific reason for this? It's kinda annoying that the threads are gone when there aren't GB threads for those sets yet.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
Re: IC threads being removed?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 05:12:49 »
To add on to this - Rensuya has confirmed he had no idea the thread was removed, so it must have been a mod decision.

The existing system was to lock an IC thread once the GB opened, which was ideal because all the information remained. With both threads being removed, there is no central resource for the information as neither set has a GB thread.

This is especially irritating for me, as my site KeycapLendar usually links to the Geekhack thread for people to find more information about a set. Without this, I'd likely have to link to a Reddit thread which is far from ideal.

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 07:27:02 »
this is quite strange indeed, i saw quite a few GB only put the bare minimum info on the GB thread and a link to the IC, so if that practice takes off maybe warn beforehand?
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 08:02:19 »
Can there be some clarification as to what guidelines an IC has to follow to avoid being removed in the transitionary period before or immediately prior to the GB thread being posted?

I appreciate in some interest checks, like the mode and plume threads for example, the OP is running a GB thread in the IC section and/or posting a sales link when they don't have enough posts on Geekhack to be allowed to sell/post in the GB section. It's understandable that these would be removed under the rules of the forum.

On the other hand, its a bit concerning where an IC thread for keycaps may be removed if it is coming close to GB and has announced prices, GB dates and vendors prior to the GB thread being posted. Please elucidate the situation so that posters of IC threads can avoid their ICs being needlessly removed

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 08:25:13 »
Can there be some clarification as to what guidelines an IC has to follow to avoid being removed in the transitionary period before or immediately prior to the GB thread being posted?

I appreciate in some interest checks, like the mode and plume threads for example, the OP is running a GB thread in the IC section and/or posting a sales link when they don't have enough posts on Geekhack to be allowed to sell/post in the GB section. It's understandable that these would be removed under the rules of the forum.

On the other hand, its a bit concerning where an IC thread for keycaps may be removed if it is coming close to GB and has announced prices, GB dates and vendors prior to the GB thread being posted. Please elucidate the situation so that posters of IC threads can avoid their ICs being needlessly removed

Even if a keycap groupbuy is coming close to the starting date there is absolutely no reason to completely delete the interest check thread. It was never done before and it shouldn't be changed imho.
There is way too much information lost with this even if a groupbuy thread is created.

Locking the thread would be the better thing to do.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 08:46:35 »

Maybe in the case of removing preorder or IC threads posted incorrectly, let the poster know and move them to the appropriate forum (artisan services?) instead of deleting without any warning or comment? Just kinda seems a bit ****ty imo.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 08:50:59 »
Maybe in the case of removing preorder or IC threads posted incorrectly, let the poster know and move them to the appropriate forum (artisan services?) instead of deleting without any warning or comment? Just kinda seems a bit ****ty imo.

The Rainy Day IC was up for almost half a year so "posted incorreclty" really can't apply here.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 09:10:12 »

The Rainy Day IC was up for almost half a year so "posted incorreclty" really can't apply here.

Yeah, I was leaning more toward the Mode Eighty sale thread. IIRC there was a TX sale thread moved to artisan services in the past instead of it just being nuked.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 October 2020, 09:12:09 by wholypantalones »

Offline yui

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 02:04:00 »
would be nice if a moderator or someone who has some insight could hop on and explain the reasoning or changes to the rules...
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 10:33:02 »
Hey everyone, just want to clear some things up real quick.

It is not and never has been (nor will be) standard practice to remove an IC thread that has proceeded to the GB phase. This would remove a lot of important information, and generally be a bad idea for obvious reasons. The only time an IC thread is removed is if the OP is attempting to bypass the Marketplace rules by starting a GB in an IC thread - something which did not happen in either of these cases, but I want to be transparent about it regardless.

I think that what happened here is a glitch that I haven't seen in a few years. Sometimes when a mod locks a thread, the system will also unapprove it for some reason. If we don't happen to catch it at that moment, it can go unnoticed until someone says something (as was done here in this thread). So thank you for bringing it to our attention, and please continue to do so if this happens again. We'll be keeping a better eye on it now that it's been mentioned here as well.

Both the GMK Rainy Day and GMK Red Dragon threads have been reapproved.  :thumb:

Sorry about the fluke here, and thanks again for the heads up.  :)

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 10:45:47 »

It is not and never has been (nor will be) standard practice to remove an IC thread that has proceeded to the GB phase. This would remove a lot of important information, and generally be a bad idea for obvious reasons. The only time an IC thread is removed is if the OP is attempting to bypass the Marketplace rules by starting a GB in an IC thread - something which did not happen in either of these cases, but I want to be transparent about it regardless.

I think that what happened here is a glitch that I haven't seen in a few years. Sometimes when a mod locks a thread, the system will also unapprove it for some reason. If we don't happen to catch it at that moment, it can go unnoticed until someone says something (as was done here in this thread). So thank you for bringing it to our attention, and please continue to do so if this happens again. We'll be keeping a better eye on it now that it's been mentioned here as well.

Both the GMK Rainy Day and GMK Red Dragon threads have been reapproved.  :thumb:

Thanks for the response!

Great to hear this wasn't an intentional decision.  :D

Offline Owl

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 11:27:00 »

Thank you for fixing this and keeping us in the loop!

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 06:19:51 »
thanks  :D

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 06:23:37 »
Appreciate it Hoffman

Offline paysen

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 08:48:07 »

Is it possible that the same happened to the Kat Lala thread? I just can't find it anymore, every post is gone and important information lost:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108717.0
by user https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=123714

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2020, 08:51:25 by paysen »

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 09:36:39 »

Is it possible that the same happened to the Kat Lala thread? I just can't find it anymore, every post is gone and important information lost:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108717.0
by user https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=123714

Show Image

Looks like the same issue there

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 12:55:52 »
The Lala IC turned into a GB and the OP doesn't meet the requirements (no posts and only been a member for a month) so it had to be removed, as per the first part of Hoffman's post.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline paysen

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 15:28:48 »
Wouldn't it be better to lock it instead of deleting it?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 17:53:03 »
Wouldn't it be better to lock it instead of deleting it?

A locked, but visible IC thread for an ongoing buy is still advertising for that buy, while not having any ability for communication and updates to be made on geekhack. There's certainly an argument to be made that the information in those threads is valuable, but as a mod team we've decided that it's better to remove such threads to discourage the use of geekhack purely for advertising.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)