Author Topic: Positives of overcrowding  (Read 4359 times)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
Positives of overcrowding
« on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:11:56 »
At a food court/hawker centre/eatery because consumers are not clearing up their cutlery, plates, utensils, bowls, etc. Then leads to increased waiting time due to the need of having cleaners clean those up. Then leading to a overcrowding due to congestion. What are the positives generated by this situation? Please help me.

Offline dante

Re: Positives of overcrowding
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:13:38 »
nm

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:14:22 »
LOL,  Engrish 101?

People forced to be around each other is an opportunity to interact..

People witnessing the plight of overpopulation.. They may then go home and decide to not have 10 babies..

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:21:29 »
It's 1.20AM here and I'm rushing a project due next friday, and my English is bad so... whatever. Thanks anyway.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:29:16 »
Consumers get hungrier as they wait and order more food?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:39:13 »
Consumers get hungrier as they wait and order more food?

hahahaha..... Spam with his numerous life experiences to the rescue....

If the line's long, I usually just get outta the mall and drive to a different place for food.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:54:14 »
Maybe it would lead to more jobs in order to manage the overcrowding going forward. More people need to clean the tables, more people needed to serve the food, some kind of crowd control officer in case things get crazy. Expanding on that, if the owners saw how much demand for their product there was, it could also trigger them to look into opening a second location, which would then create even more jobs.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:56:04 »
The public was kind enough to give you a forum (hawker stand) and a situation (messy people) to voice your opinion to (scream at random people in public about how they're dirty pigs). I think that this is a positive situation in which you can properly vent your anger.

In related news, I wish we had hawker stands here :(

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:49:41 »
The benefits for overcrowding that I can think of off the top of my head are twofold.

First, overcrowding enables sub-optimal choices to be successful in a market where there are better alternatives and enables those better alternatives to increase their profit margin or become more selective.  What do I mean by that?  Overcrowding causes scarcity.  This scarcity causes people to adjust their cost benefit equation and make choices they would not make given the crowding.  Using the food court example, it enables lower quality restaurants to thrive since a subset of the population will rationalize that the decrease in quality is worth the decrease in wait time.  The nicer establishments in the food court can also price out people, increasing their profit margins and becoming more selective in their clientele, because more people want to visit them due to their quality or because the number of people capable of meeting their cost increases even though the ratio within the population is unchanged.

Secondly, overcrowding encourages efficiency.  In order to maximize profits, businesses need to better figure out how to serve their clients in the best way possible while maintaining a place people want to come to.  You see some of this mindset in Lean and Six Sigma.

Now if the question is what are the immediate positives for consumers, the answer changes.  There aren't really any outside of the potential for increased social interaction.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 15:12:21 »
At a food court/hawker centre/eatery because consumers are not clearing up their cutlery, plates, utensils, bowls, etc. Then leads to increased waiting time due to the need of having cleaners clean those up. Then leading to a overcrowding due to congestion. What are the positives generated by this situation? Please help me.

Why must there be positives?

It sounds like you've described a negative (messy people) and a solution (cleaning people) to make the situation more manageable.

I don't see anything "positive" here, nor the implication of a positive that must exist.

If you're fed up with there being so many people, why not move somewhere less crowded?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 02:06:58 »
First, overcrowding enables sub-optimal choices to be successful in a market where there are better alternatives and enables those better alternatives to increase their profit margin or become more selective.
I would say that that is true only if customers are likely to return to having these same multiple options all the time.

If this was a restaurant in a tourist area, the customers are likely to visit once and never return.
In that case, potential customers who see a line outside the restaurant could think "Hey, because there are so many people in line this place must really be popular and if it is popular it is likely to be good".

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 04:16:01 »

more cleaners required, thus jobs created.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 06:28:12 »
Yogi Berra once said something like, "The place is so popular, nobody goes there anymore".

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 10:44:49 »
lemme guess my dear frosty

You're writing a general paper essay for practice.

Your teachers have chosen a hard topic that civil servants are all tasked to do nowadays: selling the concept of population increase to Singaporeans who are very fed up with having 5.6
million crowded into less than 300 square miles, and government plans for population increase to 13 million.

I see this as a propaganda and brainwashing exercise for the next generation.

If you dare, you should just call out the hard truths. The biggest benefits to overcrowding are to the real estate interests that the Singapore political elite is tied to. Overcrowding inflates rents and real estate values artificially. Singapore banks are also able to maintain solvency because their assets are heavily supported by collateral in the form of real estate loans.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 13:20:02 »

Your teachers have chosen a hard topic that civil servants are all tasked to do nowadays: selling the concept of population increase to Singaporeans who are very fed up with having 5.6
million crowded into less than 300 square miles, and government plans for population increase to 13 million.

If you dare, you should just call out the hard truths. The biggest benefits to overcrowding are to the real estate interests that the Singapore political elite is tied to. Overcrowding inflates rents and real estate values artificially. Singapore banks are also able to maintain solvency because their assets are heavily supported by collateral in the form of real estate loans.

I don't think there's any diabolical pretense to English 101.

Because they don't really care.. what you write about,  as long as you write about it "at length"

The practice is to form long, organized and syntactically correct writing..   The Subject/Content is usually not stressed..

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 13:33:56 »
Positives of Overcrowding
by jdcarpe

1. Overcrowding is widely considered to be a problem by those external to the situation.
2. Overcrowding brings more people into the economy. Each person is a natural resource, worth approximately 9.2M USD over its lifespan toward the nation's economy.
3. Overcrowding can serve to contain outbreaks of disease, by effectively quarantining a large number of people in a small area.
4. Overcrowding more effectively uses the space available to a region. Housing areas can grow vertically, leaving more arable land for agriculture.
5. Overcrowding can improve the quality of life for all in the region, due to above reasons.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 13:49:56 »
by jdcarpe

1. Overcrowding is widely considered to be a problem by those external to the situation.
2. Overcrowding brings more people into the economy. Each person is a natural resource, worth approximately 9.2M USD over its lifespan toward the nation's economy.
3. Overcrowding can serve to contain outbreaks of disease, by effectively quarantining a large number of people in a small area.
4. Overcrowding more effectively uses the space available to a region. Housing areas can grow vertically, leaving more arable land for agriculture.
5. Overcrowding can improve the quality of life for all in the region, due to above reasons.

Do most adults write many essays ?

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 13:52:01 »
by jdcarpe

JD, you really could make a good propagandist.  :eek:

Now let's see if you can come up with...

Positives of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 13:53:39 »
by jdcarpe

Probably not. You like my outline? :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 13:53:57 »
Here's what I'm taking from all of this....Demik is Mexican.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 13:56:33 »
by jdcarpe

Probably not. You like my outline? :)

You certainly have the skill make make people believe what you want them to believe..

I hope you don't use your powers for evil..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 13:57:03 »

Some one said he's from Guatemala.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 14:14:06 »

Some one said he's from Guatemala.
VietnaMexican

in memoriam

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 14:16:56 »
You're right, Demik is from Guatemala, I just found his Facebook profile using "The" Google:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 04:10:37 »
There's time for second thoughts about mall food, and you end up going elsewhere for something better?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 11:14:56 »

no u don't understand... it's pw... project work... the bane of my life...

edit: thank u everyone! :D i got some insight as to how to do things now (:

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 13:05:00 »
I didn't read all the comments, just the first 8 or so.

I'll take the food court for example.

We're assuming that people order food at a steady rate but cannot find seating because of the mess left from previous clients. (This is actually something that happens at the mall where I work).

What options do the clients have? First there's the differentiation of knowing the likelihood of finding seating will be low or not knowing said information.

Those who know before ordering will have a number of choices. They can decide to eat somewhere else, they can decide to take food out or take their chances and look for seating anyway.

Leaving the mall would be a negative. The stores and food court lose that business.

Taking the food out would be the most beneficial since customers can shop for a bit, return to the food court to see if there are any tables free and clean or eat elsewhere where the food court does not have to worry about a mess.

If they decide to buy food and wait for seating then overcrowding can occur in the food court. This leads to increasing pressures to have more cleanup staff (jobs) but could also increase rent for the food court restaurants. The only one that really wins in this particular case financially is the cleanup staff that would not otherwise have been hired. Two non-financial benefits can occur here. (Not directly related to costs but can influence purchases and such). The first thing is the mall / food court can put up advertising, especially for some of the stores in the mall. Another thing is people could start sharing tables and this could lead to conversation and friendships.

The second group of people who only realize there is overcrowding after purchasing food will basically be the equivalent for the group above that knew but decided to look for seating anyway.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 10:33:42 »
ans.

no u don't understand... it's pw... project work... the bane of my life...

edit: thank u everyone! :D i got some insight as to how to do things now (:

Um, I don't understand what project work is. Normally pw is for engineers or vocational subjects, but this is clearly a social science question, or something you'd write for A Level General Paper.

But then again, I don't understand Singapore education anymore. Back before Lee Kuan Yew became the last man standing, before the PAP old guard retired, Singapore social sciences did not venerate LKY at all.