Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 648139 times)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #1850 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 10:42:51 »
Demik, if you stance your s2k please just make it functional and don't lower the damn car. They're pretty low as is, I can't pull into most of my friend's driveways without scraping like crazy. The height combo'd with the long nose also means you'll scrape on a good portion of the speed bumps you encounter.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1851 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 10:50:12 »
I can't slam it. We seriously have ****ty roads here and I don't want to leave pieces of my car everywhere. I'm going for a track/aggressive functional stance. Not neg camber up the ass.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1852 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 11:10:10 »
Nice, a well done functional stance is sexy on S2000s.

Do you plan to start tracking it?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1853 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 11:11:04 »
If I can find a track, I'd love to try it out. At least some autoX.

Offline deduction

• unix layout zealot
« Reply #1854 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:12:47 »
Is anyone a little nervous about this EPA garbage proposing to make it illegal to install aftermarket products that modify emissions output?  (The post is motorcycling focused, but it applies equally to cars as well.) 

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1855 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:21:07 »
It's already illegal here. Running catless down pipe = rip. They even have mobile smog stations they set up check points with.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1856 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:23:29 »
It's already illegal here. Running catless down pipe = rip. They even have mobile smog stations they set up check points with.

Same for PA as well. There aren't mobile smog stations but emissions tests. Although if you really wanted to put in the work I guess you could have the stock and aftermarket parts and swap them in and out when it comes time to take the emissions test.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #1857 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:23:53 »

Has it EVER been legal to run a catless exhaust? ****, back in the day I used to get pulled over all the time for that. Didn't make me put it back on tho, cause screw the man. That was back in maybe 2000 or so. If anything I'm sure laws are even more restrictive now. 
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1858 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:25:37 »
And it's all thanks to ******* ricers. Cops got smart to mods and will pop your hood to check. Hell, they even camp out ethanol stations and have a list of which cars take ethanol from factory. I've had a couple friends get harrased already.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1859 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:31:18 »
Then just get a high-flow cat for your vehicle and have it installed professionally.  What's the matter with doing that? 
I would think that's well worth it.  Spend the extra money and get that high-performance.

Offline gastron

« Reply #1860 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:55:18 »
It's ironic that the EPA's attempt to clarify a document does precisely the opposite. I think a lot of it depends on one's ability to de-certify a vehicle.

Then just get a high-flow cat for your vehicle and have it installed professionally.  What's the matter with doing that? 
I would think that's well worth it.  Spend the extra money and get that high-performance.

In regards to the EPA regulations, any cat that is not the stock one would be considered illegal. It doesn't matter if it performs better. If the emissions system is modified outside of its certification criteria then you are in trouble with the EPA.

Offline deduction

• unix layout zealot
« Reply #1861 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 20:54:40 »
I'm more worried about the implication for track vehicles.  This seems it would apply to any car or motorcycle that was sold as a road legal vehicle, regardless of whether it's registered or intended for track-use only.  I don't know many motorcycle track-day enthusiasts who want to keep their stock exhaust.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1862 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:31:59 »

In regards to the EPA regulations, any cat that is not the stock one would be considered illegal. It doesn't matter if it performs better. If the emissions system is modified outside of its certification criteria then you are in trouble with the EPA.

I guess if you do it out of bounds of the emission system.  If you keep within, I still see no problem.  You're making a non-issue an issue.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2016, 22:18:46 by Snowdog993 »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #1863 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:49:05 »
So it turns out my engine mount had completely sheared off and was bouncing against my engine, hence the noise and vibrations.

Basically there are two long bolts that go through the bracket at the bottom and at the top where there used to be a hole. These go through the starter motor and into the engine. Unfortunately there was only one bolt in there, at the top, and all the strain was on this hole, so the hole just snapped. They don't make the brackets any more, so my garage had to buy one from eBay and fabricate a second bolt as well because those have been discontinued as well!

All in all it only cost me £100 though :D
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1864 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 20:11:17 »
So it turns out my engine mount had completely sheared off and was bouncing against my engine, hence the noise and vibrations.

Show Image

Basically there are two long bolts that go through the bracket at the bottom and at the top where there used to be a hole. These go through the starter motor and into the engine. Unfortunately there was only one bolt in there, at the top, and all the strain was on this hole, so the hole just snapped. They don't make the brackets any more, so my garage had to buy one from eBay and fabricate a second bolt as well because those have been discontinued as well!

G** D***

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1865 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 20:55:53 »

Show Image

G** D***

You don't have to censor yourself.  ;)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #1866 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 21:35:50 »

Show Image

Which car was this Kat?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1867 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 21:40:31 »

Show Image

Which car was this Kat?

I'll let him answer more fully, but it's a MkII VW Golf.

Old post:
Currently got a 1991 Mk2 Golf CL 1.6td

Show Image

I inherited the Golf last year and I've just been making him road worthy this year. Next year hopefully going to get some nice steel wheels and get the interior redone. Maybe a complete refurb of the undercarriage too, we will see.

More recent post:
Used the roof rack properly for the first time yesterday!

Show Image

Filled the car with all but two boxes of stuff from my parents for the move. It was very interesting driving around with a huge box on top! And the wind noise was something else :P

Offline sarahnicole

• //add comment here later
« Reply #1868 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 22:34:40 »
These are just some pictures I took a while ago with my phone after my car was detailed.
But this is my baby. <3
2014 Dodge Dart GT
Almost had to die in a car accident to get this car but #worth

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1869 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 22:35:53 »
These are just some pictures I took a while ago with my phone after my car was detailed.
But this is my baby. <3
2014 Dodge Dart GT

Show Image
Show Image

Ayyyy, a fellow Dart owner! Very nice Sarah, I have a red 2013 rallye turbo. :thumb:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1870 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 22:38:03 »
man.. i should wash my car.

Offline sarahnicole

« Reply #1871 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 22:40:50 »

But this is my baby. <3
2014 Dodge Dart GT

Show Image
Show Image

Ayyyy, a fellow Dart owner! Very nice Sarah, I have a red 2013 rallye turbo. :thumb:

Woo hoo!
Always nice to see some more Dart owners out there. :thumb:

Offline sarahnicole

« Reply #1872 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 22:42:01 »

Or you can take it to the car wash and watch other people wash it.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1873 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 22:43:22 »

Or you can take it to the car wash and watch other people wash it.

oh yeah, whenever i say "i should -insert stuff i need to do here-" i always mean "i should pay somebody else to do it" :P

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1874 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 22:44:40 »

But this is my baby. <3
2014 Dodge Dart GT

Show Image
Show Image

Woo hoo!

Mine needs washed really bad, all this salt and slush is making it look horrible. I wish that the srt would actually come out so I could trade up to it but I think it's too late now. :(

I don't know if you're into it but adding a couple mods makes the car much more lively. I have a manual as well so there was a huge difference getting a tune, just need a boost gauge now.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1875 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 22:46:27 »

But this is my baby. <3
2014 Dodge Dart GT

Show Image
Show Image

Woo hoo!

Mine needs washed really bad, all this salt and slush is making it look horrible. I wish that the srt would actually come out so I could trade up to it but I think it's too late now. :(

I don't know if you're into it but adding a couple mods makes the car much more lively. I have a manual as well so there was a huge difference getting a tune, just need a boost gauge now.

oh dodge went that route also? it still makes zero sense why ford didn't put a damn boost gauge in my car but did in the focus. TURBO = BOOST GAUGE NECESSARY!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1876 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 22:48:31 »

But this is my baby. <3
2014 Dodge Dart GT

Show Image
Show Image

Woo hoo!

oh dodge went that route also? it still makes zero sense why ford didn't put a damn boost gauge in my car but did in the focus. TURBO = BOOST GAUGE NECESSARY!

Yeah it's kind of silly that it isn't a standard let alone not even make an add-on kit for one. I just need to go the aftermarket route, I've just been hella lazy and don't feel like putting one in yet haha.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1877 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 22:49:47 »
i was thinking of going the access port route but eeeeeeeeeh, 500 for a car im going to get rid of (hello RS) in 2 years seems like a waste.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1878 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 22:52:57 »
i was thinking of going the access port route but eeeeeeeeeh, 500 for a car im going to get rid of (hello RS) in 2 years seems like a waste.

Yeah save the monies for the RS, that'll be such a sick car. There's a big turbo kit for my car adding an additional 180 bhp, I'm so tempted to get it but I might as well save that money for a better car down the road.

Offline sarahnicole

« Reply #1879 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 22:54:43 »

But this is my baby. <3
2014 Dodge Dart GT

Show Image
Show Image

Woo hoo!

Yeah it's kind of silly that it isn't a standard let alone not even make an add-on kit for one. I just need to go the aftermarket route, I've just been hella lazy and don't feel like putting one in yet haha.

I really don't know much of anything about cars, I've built computers since I was 16 but cars seemed too... dirty and greasy haha.
So I've never really gotten into them.

The only thing I've done to my car is buy some crazy expensive but pretty nice tires.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1880 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 22:55:16 »

Yeah save the monies for the RS, that'll be such a sick car. There's a big turbo kit for my car adding an additional 180 bhp, I'm so tempted to get it but I might as well save that money for a better car down the road.

yeah, plus this car is completely stock so meh. it would be nice to have standard. plus im still looking to get the s2k later this year OuO. one of the dudes in our car meet got himself an RS.. i can't wait until he gets it. he said he'll let us drive it.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1881 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:02:35 »

yeah, plus this car is completely stock so meh. it would be nice to have standard. plus im still looking to get the s2k later this year OuO. one of the dudes in our car meet got himself an RS.. i can't wait until he gets it. he said he'll let us drive it.

Yeah that s2k will be such a fun car to drive. I bet you'll just want an RS even more once you get to drive one. Tiny cars are so much fun to drive.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1882 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:11:56 »
but cars seemed too... dirty and greasy haha.

Noooooooooooo.  RIP.  Cars so fun to work on.  Makes me weep to remember that I don't have a garage or space to work on my car now.  :(  I feel so out of the loop with what's going on in my car's life.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1883 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:14:11 »

Noooooooooooo.  RIP.  Cars so fun to work on.  Makes me weep to remember that I don't have a garage or space to work on my car now.  :(  I feel so out of the loop with what's going on in my car's life.

like a dead battery

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1884 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:15:27 »

like a dead battery

Yes.  Like that demik.  Thank you for reminding me.

-_-

Offline sarahnicole

« Reply #1885 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:16:16 »

I know! I'm kind of sad too.
I don't have the time now or anyone to teach me.
Plus I'm not gonna **** with my car to learn because I actually have a car I care about.

I should have learned with my hooptie plastered in Hello Kitty stickers I had before haha.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1886 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:16:25 »

like a dead battery

-_-

SUBARUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

im just mad you won't bag it :(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1887 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:20:07 »

I know! I'm kind of sad too.
I don't have the time now or anyone to teach me.
Plus I'm not gonna **** with my car to learn because I actually have a car I care about.

I should have learned with my hooptie plastered in Hello Kitty stickers I had before haha.

That is very true.  I'm glad my dad taught me all the stuff he did (basically all maintenance on all our family's cars when I was living with my parents).  I'm still super noob and don't know anything about performance mods, but basic maintenance is familiar which is good.  :)  But learning on a nice car without good guidance would be daunting for sure.  :-/

-_-

You don't bag an Outback! 

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1888 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:21:58 »

yes you do!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1889 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:28:45 »

That is very true.  I'm glad my dad taught me all the stuff he did (basically all maintenance on all our family's cars when I was living with my parents).  I'm still super noob and don't know anything about performance mods, but basic maintenance is familiar which is good.  :)  But learning on a nice car without good guidance would be daunting for sure.  :-/

-_-

[/quote]

If you don't bag it, you can at least do a nice tasteful drop. 

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #1890 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:30:36 »
Hoff, **** bags, get coilovers.  :cool:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1891 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:38:57 »

-_-

Show Image

If you don't bag it, you can at least do a nice tasteful drop. 
Show Image

you're the only one that understands my love of stance ;-;
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:41:54 by demik »

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1892 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:39:49 »
I really don't know much of anything about cars, I've built computers since I was 16 but cars seemed too... dirty and greasy haha.

The only thing I've done to my car is buy some crazy expensive but pretty nice tires.

Tires are the most important part of the car, good choice! Think about it this way, they're literally the only thing between you and the road. :thumb:

Also, I just wanted to put in some encouraging words that I too started doing hands on stuff like tinkering and building PCs, and while car mechanics are quite a bit more complicated, it's very rewarding to learn over time, and start with something like changing your own wheels first.

There's also a lot of benefits to having technical knowledge on how your car and components work, even if you don't necessarily have the skills to do the work yourself, so you are able to properly communicate with mechanics and make sure you're getting good and proper work done. :)

demik, I want to point out that you can get a used COBB AP, and they're typically really good at holding their value, so you wouldn't lose much money or any at all if you sell it 2 years later, with the exception being a new revision of their handheld device (which isn't very likely, but even so, you just lose like $150 maybe). I would really recommend it if it's within your budget. I'm sure it'd be an easy sell too, due to it being a pretty good device.

It's a great device, I'm not familiar with your platform, but it's one of the best/better devices for BMW N54 or Subaru STI engines.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1893 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:40:40 »
I think you guys are forgetting that I don't live in SoCal and I might actually need the ground clearance for snow reasons.  :P  I see no sense in spending a bunch of money to lower my car so I can take nice pictures and then promptly raising it again to actually do things.  I suppose I could drive with it lowered in the summer, but meh - lots of other higher priority things I'd do before lowering it.  ;)  I was never super into low cars other than enjoying pics of them.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1894 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:43:24 »

Tires are the most important part of the car, good choice! Think about it this way, they're literally the only thing between you and the road. :thumb:

Also, I just wanted to put in some encouraging words that I too started doing hands on stuff like tinkering and building PCs, and while car mechanics are quite a bit more complicated, it's very rewarding to learn over time, and start with something like changing your own wheels first.

There's also a lot of benefits to having technical knowledge on how your car and components work, even if you don't necessarily have the skills to do the work yourself, so you are able to properly communicate with mechanics and make sure you're getting good and proper work done. :)

demik, I want to point out that you can get a used COBB AP, and they're typically really good at holding their value, so you wouldn't lose much money or any at all if you sell it 2 years later, with the exception being a new revision of their handheld device (which isn't very likely, but even so, you just lose like $150 maybe). I would really recommend it if it's within your budget. I'm sure it'd be an easy sell too, due to it being a pretty good device.

It's a great device, I'm not familiar with your platform, but it's one of the best/better devices for BMW N54 or Subaru STI engines.

yeah, i've heard it really wakes the car up even with off the shelf tunes. i'll be on the look out for one tho.

I think you guys are forgetting that I don't live in SoCal and I might actually need the ground clearance for snow reasons.  :P  I see no sense in spending a bunch of money to lower my car so I can take nice pictures and then promptly raising it again to actually do things.  I suppose I could drive with it lowered in the summer, but meh - lots of other higher priority things I'd do before lowering it.  ;)  I was never super into low cars other than enjoying pics of them.

LOWER LOWER LOWER LOWER LOWER

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1895 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:45:36 »

I think you have my PayPal info if you really want it to happen.  ;)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1896 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:46:03 »

yeah, i've heard it really wakes the car up even with off the shelf tunes. i'll be on the look out for one tho.

I feel like every car could just use a good tuning, makes the driving experience so much better. Even my father's employee tuned his GMC Savanna lol, it drives much better than the other vans. That thing has a nice v8 in it for a van lol.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1897 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:47:19 »

I think you have my PayPal info if you really want it to happen.  ;)

im sorry but vinyl currently owns my wallet ;-;

Offline joostflux

• Cars, computers, anime, and keyboards
« Reply #1898 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:56:23 »
Pretty awesome to see such a strong car culture on here!

I'm still quite new but I thought I'd share my rides.

Here is my Taco.

I am incredibly happy with it but my turbo plans caused an issue since it is my daily. Can't have the car down while I rebuild a junkyard motor for boost  ;D

So I picked this up:

Super excited because it is my first new car ever! Well, it's not actually new but single lease owner with 18k miles is plenty new for me!

I've got plans for both of them but for now I'm just enjoying my new car!

Endgame? There is no endgame.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1899 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 23:58:46 »
LS SWAP THAT SCION BOIIIIIIIIII