Author Topic: What tech purchase do you most regret having purchased?  (Read 17981 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: What tech purchase do you most regret having purchased?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 06:34:38 »
People complaining about cellphones are doing it wrong..

STOP USING IT,  problem solved..

Everything is better on PC..   MINIMIZE cell use to absolute terms..  because it's a disappointing experience every single time..

Screen is small..  My hands are tired..  it doesn't respond quickly.. Takes me 10x as long to post something on it.. 

AND... AND it gives me Wrinkles from having to squint my eyes so often..
Show Image

I agree with almost all of it, but my iPhone does respond quickly. I'm not necessarily an Apple-fanboy. But my iPhone is really really fast. But for the rest, yeah pretty much. Only thing I really miss on my desktop is Whatsapp.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 06:52:06 »
Bought a leapmotion back when it was pre order only and never used it beside the little demo. That's such a stupid realization of the project that I never felt comfortable with the way I need to move my hands

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 07:02:24 »
I bought a Sentey Revolution that I'm not happy about. It rocks if I put to much pressure on my pinky/ring finger and it glides poorly due to the tiny ceramic feet. I'm tempted to get some tempered glass but that seems like too much for this mouse. The weights throw off the center of mass in such a way that I can't even use the damn things.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 March 2016, 07:06:14 by csmertx »

Offline Marizen

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 18:36:30 »
I regret cancelling my plan for my LG G4.

At work we have the option of getting a work phone, and it's super cheap with unlimited data, but the only option you have is a 64GB iPhone 6.

I cancelled my plan to save money, but I regret it. I want Android back (still have the phone, but no service). I could just reactivate it, but I paid $585 to cancel the plan (they were supposed to send me a box to ship the phone back to them and reimburse me $200, but they never did so I just said screw it and kept the phone), so if I re-start then I'll have basically dumped that money down the drain. I'm going to have to wait a few more months until the lack of monthly payments at least makes up for that cancellation fee.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 11:10:38 »
More than 1080p on a laptop monitor. Poor graphics support leads to screen tearing, and in general you have the higher power consumption - a big FU at the end of it all, given that it was supposed to be the "trade-off" for the benefit of a higher res screen.

Id like to note that I got a WQHD screen, as I was fairly sure 4k was super dumb - but a friend convinced me 4k was amazing (And I totally interrogated him about his choice), and the bloody company really sold it... fk
144 is great but sli is trash 16 years in dev and they still get the bloody thing to work for half the time

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 13:55:39 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:29:05 by Khers »

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 17:23:57 »
I got an 8800 GTX back in the day. The first and the last time I'll shell out for a top of the line GPU. Considering this was just when I started college, I think I should have spent the money wiser and gotten beer for it.

at least u didn't get 8800gtx 512

Offline the big aristotle

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 18:49:58 »
I got an 8800 GTX back in the day. The first and the last time I'll shell out for a top of the line GPU. Considering this was just when I started college, I think I should have spent the money wiser and gotten beer for it.

at least u didn't get 8800gtx 512

$500-$600 is probably beer for your entire college career.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 21:57:25 »
all MX keyboards
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 00:18:42 »
all MX keyboards

I think Blacks are worth keeping.

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 00:27:04 »
When MP3 players where first getting started I bought the Dell DJ instead of the IPod. I honestly thought the DJ looked better than the IPod and it was cheaper at the time. Man was this a mistake. The settings would reset each time you shut the DJ down. So, when you restarted it, album songs would be listed alphabetically instead of how they were organized by the artist. IT WAS HORRENDOUS! Also, the backlighting was glitchy, buttons were intermittent, and the bugger was heavy AF.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 00:30:30 »
When MP3 players where first getting started I bought the Dell DJ instead of the IPod. I honestly thought the DJ looked better than the IPod and it was cheaper at the time. Man was this a mistake. The settings would reset each time you shut the DJ down. So, when you restarted it, album songs would be listed alphabetically instead of how they were organized by the artist. IT WAS HORRENDOUS! Also, the backlighting was glitchy, buttons were intermittent, and the bugger was heavy AF.

(Attachment Link)

I had a mini-disc player..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 06:22:27 »

(Attachment Link)

I had a mini-disc player..
Show Image

I knew someone that would bootleg rock shows with a mini-disc player. I wanted one so bad back then!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 06:26:13 »
Bitfenix Prodigy as a LAN case. It's just too ****ing wide. It's a cube not a LAN case. Poor design, and I wish I planned more.

Otherwise I always spend too much on tech because I know it's important. There isn't a tech purchase that I have regretted more than "oh this feature is lacking but still better than the competition".

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 10:21:21 »
Bitfenix Prodigy as a LAN case. It's just too ****ing wide. It's a cube not a LAN case. Poor design, and I wish I planned more.

Otherwise I always spend too much on tech because I know it's important. There isn't a tech purchase that I have regretted more than "oh this feature is lacking but still better than the competition".

oh man ikr. This was another poor tech decision I made, going ITX. I need my (m)ATX board!

The bitfenix prodigy was just part of the poor tech decision I made  :-[
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 11:50:15 »
Pok3r
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 11:56:48 »
Jolla tablet. Still waiting for the refund, for a tablet that never happened. Mind you, it was a kickstarter contribution, so more an investment than a purchase.

In hindsight, it is easily the worst investment I've ever made.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 13:49:51 »
Pok3r

Obviously since this is all very subjective there are no wrong answers here but i have to ask what about the pok3r did you not like?  Had two still have one really liked them both (until i got my HHKB anyways)
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 April 2016, 17:17:27 by LiquidEvilGaming »
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 17:00:03 »
My first mechanical keyboard.  Got me into this rabbit hole of a hobby.  If I would have just been happy with the Kinesis Freestyle, I could actually focus on useful life activities.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 17:18:53 »
My first mechanical keyboard.  Got me into this rabbit hole of a hobby.  If I would have just been happy with the Kinesis Freestyle, I could actually focus on useful life activities.

Right!?!?

Went from
MX reds to MX Blues to MX Greens to MX clears to MX browns and now onto Topre which has taken me even further down the rabbit hole...and increase the size of the hole in my wallet!
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 18:14:27 »
Compaq Presario 2200

I was a little kid and I was psyched that my parents bought a new PC for me. I was literally jumping around the house for like hours. Admiring every text on the screen and every dialog and window. It came with Encarta and MS Office 95. I soon got VB 5.0. Times were good.

But soon, that PC started falling into pieces. CDRom messed up. Fans heating up. Speakers making weird noises. IRQ conflicts oh yes.. but not sure whether those conflicts were the computer itself or win95's "great" interrupt handling.

And then I found out everything in that box was fake. Cyrix CPU. No proper Hardware Acceleration. Most games were still dos by then. But soon I could not enjoy HW accelerated DX games.

See for thyself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_Presario_2200

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 18:47:21 »
Compaq Presario 2200

I was a little kid and I was psyched that my parents bought a new PC for me. I was literally jumping around the house for like hours. Admiring every text on the screen and every dialog and window. It came with Encarta and MS Office 95. I soon got VB 5.0. Times were good.

But soon, that PC started falling into pieces. CDRom messed up. Fans heating up. Speakers making weird noises. IRQ conflicts oh yes.. but not sure whether those conflicts were the computer itself or win95's "great" interrupt handling.

And then I found out everything in that box was fake. Cyrix CPU. No proper Hardware Acceleration. Most games were still dos by then. But soon I could not enjoy HW accelerated DX games.

See for thyself:
Have you disabled and enabled the device yet..

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 23:48:00 »
Buying two R9 270Xs instead of one R9 280X...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 00:09:38 »
Been there. Always purchase the single best card you can, never two lower cards

Offline Coreda

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 00:12:41 »
Nothing major I can think of atm, but electronic stuff from Asian eBay sellers are awful. Takes forever to arrive and then doesn't function.

Cables, adapters, chargers, Blu-Ray drives—whatever it is it will inevitably either be dead on arrival or at the best of times malfunction not long after.

Bought a Dual Link DVI-D cable a few months ago. When it arrived it turned out the signal was only outputting 1080p, not 1440p. Returns and refunds are a joke.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 06:33:14 »
Remember getting a knockoff n64 controller back in the day during a market. Half the buttons didnt work and I had saved up for a month to get it. Dont think Ive ever been that mad than that
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 08:08:06 »
Compaq Presario 2200

See for thyself:

So Many Times. Rebooting became synonymous with Presario.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 10:07:01 »
Compaq Presario 2200

See for thyself:

I remember Win95. I don't miss it. Nope nope nope :p

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 16:02:57 »
Bought a Surface Pro 4 around 1 week ago. Paid £850. Lost receipt. Now selling for £630...

Amazing piece of kit but the free time I do have I just spend it on my PC.
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 17:41:07 »
Compaq Presario 2200

See for thyself:

Win95 also had this thing of shutting down to the command prompt sometimes I believe when .drv files failed. Yeah, fun times indeed.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 17:57:54 »
Compaq Presario 2200

See for thyself:

Win95 also had this thing of shutting down to the command prompt sometimes I believe when .drv files failed. Yeah, fun times indeed.
I remember receiving blue screens on the regular. Back then I was assembling computers with used parts that I found laying around. Who knows what kind of condition they were in :))

Plug-n-play was a phrase that gave me goosebumps lol

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 18:15:03 »
oculus dk2
i have only used it less than 5 times...

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 05:42:17 »
I remember receiving blue screens on the regular. Back then I was assembling computers with used parts that I found laying around. Who knows what kind of condition they were in :))

Plug and pray you mean ;) Yeah... those were the times. I alwas had IRQ conflicts and had to manually try to fix it in the BIOS. Sometimes I even had to physically swap cards in the ISA / PCI slots because Windows 95 just wouldn't work properly.

And then that feeling when you installed win95 and finally setup worked and everything seemed to work after driver installation... That was my high back then :P

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 08:37:24 »

Plug and pray you mean ;) Yeah... those were the times. I alwas had IRQ conflicts and had to manually try to fix it in the BIOS. Sometimes I even had to physically swap cards in the ISA / PCI slots because Windows 95 just wouldn't work properly.

And then that feeling when you installed win95 and finally setup worked and everything seemed to work after driver installation... That was my high back then :P
Hehe, yep plug and pray sums it up nicely :))

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 13:03:23 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:28:07 by Khers »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 07:34:09 »
I got scammed once, when buying a Nokia N900. But, that's not really an actual purchase in the end.

Otherwise, it's just a ton of stuff, that I've never really used. My high-end TI calculator is probably the worst in this regard. Nobody told me theoretical computer science doesn't require actual hands-on calculations, unlike engineering.

Although, when look back, my first thinkpad, T40 (still IBM), was a PITA. I got it second-hand from some guy and didn't do my homework. One of two USB ports turned out to be defective, and that model had ATi Radeon GPU, that was infamous for cold solder joints issues. I eventually ended up spending too much time trying to bake the mobo. It was an useful experience though.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:12:48 »
A used graphics card, high-end. Less than $100 cheaper than new. Should have valued the safety and other perks of NIB higher than I did, to say the least. Ended up wasting additional cash too, almost adding up to the $100 difference. No more, never again. It was a Gigabyte Radeon 280X with the WindForce3 cooler, Battlefield 4 edition.

I regret much more a purchase I didn't make — I struggled with avoidable problems for several years due to my reluctance to replace the mobo on a system with OEM Windows licence, in the event the problem wasn't the mobo (in which case I'd have wasted my money). Should have given it a try earlier than I eventually did. The replacement didn't make all of my problems with this system go away, but it helped a lot and restored overclockability, which means some free power, since I'd already had aftermarket coolers on stuff.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:17:41 »
All my trackballs

I bought 4 different balls, hoping to find one I liked, but I cant get used to any of them enough to not feel extremely clumsy.

CST 1550, Kidstrack, Logitech trackman marble non scroll thumb ball, and trackman marble mouse with the ball on top.

85 bucks that is literally never used.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 12:36:52 »
My XPS 13 Laptop.  Nothing wrong with it per say- the Surface Book just came out a little after it.  And Dell sucks just as much as when I bought one before.  They gave me a price match so I wouldn't pick it up from Microsoft's store for cheaper... and their Indian billing dept keeps calling me and leaving an extension that doesn't work because apparently it shows up as a charge back.

My livescribe also - it's good tech, but I just haven't been able to integrate it into my workflow, and having to use their notebooks is more of a pain than I thought it would be.  And my mind keeps me from just using the notebooks, because everything is recorded, so I feel like everything has to be perfect and usable.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 12:51:20 »
All my trackballs

I bought 4 different balls, hoping to find one I liked, but I cant get used to any of them enough to not feel extremely clumsy.

CST 1550, Kidstrack, Logitech trackman marble non scroll thumb ball, and trackman marble mouse with the ball on top.

You need to take a WMO, and glue it to the bottom of the track ball..

That's the best trackball..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 13:11:06 »
All my trackballs

Switching to a trackball boosted my accuracy quite a bit. I'm hoping CST trackballs don't suffer the same ball rolling issues as logitech trackballs do. After a good cleaning the ball sticks. I don't want to add grease to my trackball. Plus if you drop the damn balls they'll flatspot :(  Billiard balls for the wins

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 13:29:56 »

Googled WMO...
Idk how to glue the World Meteorological Organization to a trackball.
Im so tired of being such a newb on this forum.   :'(

Switching to a trackball boosted my accuracy quite a bit. I'm hoping CST trackballs don't suffer the same ball rolling issues as logitech trackballs do. After a good cleaning the ball sticks. I don't want to add grease to my trackball. Plus if you drop the damn balls they'll flatspot :(  Billiard balls for the wins

How long did it take for you to acclimate to the ball life?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 13:33:56 »
Who plays FPS with a trackball?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 13:35:35 »
I had cursor accuracy after the first day. It took me nearly a week before I could flick the ball with some accuracy

*raises hand* Just revisiting old FPS games though

Edit - I think the LMB omron switch on my trackman is dying :-[

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 13:52:52 »
I had cursor accuracy after the first day. It took me nearly a week before I could flick the ball with some accuracy

Maybe Im not coordinated enough, or I have brain issues.

After all, I type at 30-40 wpm

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 14:14:30 »

Maybe Im not coordinated enough, or I have brain issues.

After all, I type at 30-40 wpm

Brain issues? Maybe you don't like trackballs? That is perfectly acceptable

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 14:28:35 »

Is it doable? For fun I once tried unreal tournament with my trackpad. I dieded a LOT!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 14:35:41 »

Is it doable? For fun I once tried unreal tournament with my trackpad. I dieded a LOT!
FPS with a trackpad? GG RIP

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 16:42:40 »
Just got bluetooth earbuds ..

Regarat..

IDK why I'm even so disappointing, hahaha, obviously it's gonna be crummy.. it's wireless for godsake..  and it was $10.. so... yea....

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 17:16:27 »

This is something that I have almost done a couple of times. I always just save more money and get a better card. I want to try crossfire/sli but the performance doesn't scale very well.
Biking is fun.