Author Topic: Concert of video game music  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Spopepro

Concert of video game music
« on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 22:14:42 »
I was hoping some of you nerds could help me out.  The conductor of my orchestra mentioned a while back that he was interested in doing a concert of video game music.  I was stoked, and offered as the nerdiest of nerds (and, well, probably the only gamer in the orchestra) to work on it.  Then I started thinking about what to do.  As awesome as Nobuo Uematsu is, and as popular as it probably would be, I kind of didn't want to do something that has been done so many times before.  I also need to find something that isn't over-encumbered with performance rights, as getting big game companies to talk to little orchestras can be challenging (which is why I'm now in year 2 of this process). 

So I think it would be awesome to do music from the Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky series.  An added bonus is that Falcom is really generous with performance rights. But now I'm worried that the game series is too obscure, and that we will struggle to get an audience. 

Is the game too out there?  Will anyone come?  Should I suck it up and do something more popular that's been done?  I guess I'm just looking for people to bounce ideas off of that aren't going to look at me blankly when I say the title of a game.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

Re: Concert of video game music
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:19:28 »
Where are you located? That would make a huge difference in choice.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:01:16 »
SF Bay Area. We could do it at "home" or we often do special concerts at the Fox in redwood city. The fox is a much more significant risk.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:03:13 »
Do you know the Dutch concert pianist "Wibi Soerjadi"? He played mario theme song on piano. Maybe that's interesting or perhaps that's too hardcore.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g