Author Topic: Do you use all 'em buttons of your mouse?  (Read 11477 times)

Offline rurushu

Do you use all 'em buttons of your mouse?
« on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 20:13:17 »
As the title suggests, want to know if there are people actually using all those peripheral buttons of a mouse.

For me, because of my palm/claw hybrid grip type, I hold my mouse with mainly 3 fingers (thumb, ring and pinky) and thus unable to use the even the side buttons.
Every time I attempt to use the side button with my thumb, I will lose grip of my mouse and it goes into some sort of oversteer and the mouse will "drift" off of my grasp.

However, Im not totally disabled on side buttons, during casual browsing I can palm my hand and can use the back/forward side button for Internet.

How about you?

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
Re: Do you use all 'em buttons of your mouse?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 20:40:51 »
I use a Logitech performance MX, and Indeed, use every singe button constantly. I have assigned every button to functions I use everyday in multimedia tasks. back and forth, mute, reload (F5), copy and paste (which is left and right on my mouse wheel). I even use the speed scroll feature very frequently. I would never buy a new mouse again which doesn't offer at least these features.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 20:44:05 by Olumin »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 20:52:38 »
I use all the buttons on my G502 and G700s, I even used the gshift function for a little while which effectively gives you a second layer.

Offline Sinanju

• Dustoff
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 20:55:30 »
I use all the buttons on my G502 and G700s, I even used the gshift function for a little while which effectively gives you a second layer.

G502 as well, but I really only use G5 & G4.  Both buttons right above where your thumb rests. 

Internet Surfing:
G4 = Back
G5 = Forward

Game:
G5 = Push to Talk.

Don't use any of the others really, but mainly bought it because it was so comfy.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:02:26 »
I use more buttons in desktop than in games..

minimize and close are very convenient functions for the mouse.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:08:13 »
I have a g100, Yes I use all three of them

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:10:10 »
I use all my G502 buttons when gaming. Otherwise? No.

Offline rurushu

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:35:30 »
hmm... it seems the majority all have uses for all those buttons... either in game or work.

Want to ask, do you guys explicitly "adapt" your grip style in order to utilize the buttons, or you pick those mouse because your grip style naturally can reach all those buttons?

Edit: asked this because I tried to change my grip style to use a G700, didnt work out, so sold it to a friend.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:58:25 »
hmm... it seems the majority all have uses for all those buttons... either in game or work.

Want to ask, do you guys explicitly "adapt" your grip style in order to utilize the buttons, or you pick those mouse because your grip style naturally can reach all those buttons?

Edit: asked this because I tried to change my grip style to use a G700, didnt work out, so sold it to a friend.

I didn't need to adapt. I can naturally reach all of the buttons comfortably.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 22:55:32 »
I use up to 5 or 6 buttons, I use two side buttons religiously for forward and back and a top button for page reload.

If I have to adapt to button placement, the placement is wrong.
I actually passed on a Logitech Master just yesterday specifically because the side buttons were so poorly placed. The side roller was well placed (which I could take it or leave it) but the two buttons were almost useless with how I gripped the mouse.

Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rurushu

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 23:05:22 »
I use up to 5 or 6 buttons, I use two side buttons religiously for forward and back and a top button for page reload.

If I have to adapt to button placement, the placement is wrong.
I actually passed on a Logitech Master just yesterday specifically because the side buttons were so poorly placed. The side roller was well placed (which I could take it or leave it) but the two buttons were almost useless with how I gripped the mouse.

this is what I faced with my G700, although the textured surface is very nice in the hand, but it just wont work with my hand so I have to sell it off...

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 23:15:06 »
For desktop use/work? I can use as many buttons as you give me, so long as you give me a semi-decent tool by which to assign functions to them.

For gaming? I use LMB and RMB, and that's it. Anything else means less control. I don't even like to use the mousewheel, if the game allows it to be avoided.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 23:37:03 »
I have a g100, Yes I use all three of them

1. 2..  3...   4....    Four Buttons.. ahac ahac ahac ahac..

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 12:59:48 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:36:00 by Khers »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 13:06:58 »
Sometimes.. I just click all the buttons on the Mouse, just for fun...

Offline rurushu

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 22:03:59 »

hahahaha.... btw tp, your main mouse is? the WMO? or your modded G100s?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 22:09:26 »

I only haz 1x G100S

It's on my main pc..

But I use at least 2 different pcs throughout the day..

Am considering getting a second G100S.. 

Offline rurushu

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 22:27:53 »

I only haz 1x G100S

It's on my main pc..

But I use at least 2 different pcs throughout the day..

Am considering getting a second G100S.. 
Show Image

OuO then this time keep it stock or also mod the hell out of them switches?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 22:47:00 »

OuO then this time keep it stock or also mod the hell out of them switches?

I wouldn't be able to resist

Haahahahha

Offline Asininity

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 23:39:07 »
No, I don't. I probably should.

Offline rurushu

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 13:34:39 »

what mouse is it?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 13:37:00 »
I try to use the mouse as least as possible, being a coder. The only mouse buttons I use is left + right and occasionally the back button on my avior 7000.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 15:19:57 »
I wish I could reprogram my 'mode' button to do something else. The mode button and the MMB are the only ones I never use. Well, the MMB is remapped to the 'lift' button because pressing down on the scroll wheel causes some unwanted jittering with 3k + cpi.

Offline Marizen

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 16:30:03 »
I don't use any side buttons unless I'm playing WoW with my naga. For everything else, I use my Diamondback and no side buttons.

Offline rurushu

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 23:49:45 »
I try to use the mouse as least as possible, being a coder. The only mouse buttons I use is left + right and occasionally the back button on my avior 7000.

as a former programmer, I agree with this.
When doing coding, using the mouse is not the most productive way, it kinds of slow things down because you have to move your hands from the keyboard, and then to and fro from the mouse.

but what about other occasions? such as gaming, browsing etc.?

I don't use any side buttons unless I'm playing WoW with my naga. For everything else, I use my Diamondback and no side buttons.

your Diamondback is the original ones or the new RGB ones?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 06:51:52 »
It depends on the shape.

Ideally, a mouse (i.e., not a trackball, I expect something different from a trackball) would have three large buttons on top (no wheel), a thumb stick for scrolling (like Roccat Tyon) and a couple of thumb buttons (one of them as a modifier like Roccat's EasyShift).

That doesn't happen in practice, though. Thus, I remap one thumb button to "middle click" (so that I don't have to click the wheel, because it's uncomfortable for me) and use the other thumb button as EasyShift (I mostly use Roccat mice, such as KPM), which doubles primary button's functions (typically ES+left/right ~ back/forward).

Offline nevin

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 17:43:29 »
Yes, use all, don't change grip (claw-ish), can be awkward reaching forward most side button on right side (right handed). Specifically got a mouse that had large side buttons that were programmable. Ended up with a cm storm recon. Pleased with it. Use for work.

Would like to see a mouse with a couple small buttons popping up through the normal 2 big button areas on the top of a mouse. Not clustered around edge or click wheel or too far forward either. I did see one similar to this description but the extra small buttons were all the way to the front of the mouse on the edges.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 05:08:54 »

as a former programmer, I agree with this.
When doing coding, using the mouse is not the most productive way, it kinds of slow things down because you have to move your hands from the keyboard, and then to and fro from the mouse.

but what about other occasions? such as gaming, browsing etc.?

gaming with a mouse of course, browsing also. But sometimes I use vimperator. But browsing is SO visual (like a drawing program) that it doesn't really fit the purpose to do it all with the keyboard.

When I develop, however, most of the time I am interested in how the design (html/css) looks and I just save my html or css, it automatically recompiles (from sass or whatever) and reloads the browser for me so that I do not have to touch the mouse.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 05:09:42 »
Yes, use all, don't change grip (claw-ish), can be awkward reaching forward most side button on right side (right handed). Specifically got a mouse that had large side buttons that were programmable. Ended up with a cm storm recon. Pleased with it. Use for work.

That's how I feel about the G502... I accidentally touch all those buttons. That is very annoying.

Offline Marizen

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 10:29:56 »
I could have sworn I already replied here but I'm not seeing my post.

Unless I'm using my naga for WoW I don't use any buttons except left and right click. I don't even use the scroll click.

I think the main reason for this is that I mostly use a Diamondback and the side buttons are not conveniently placed at all, especially the ones on the right side that I mis-click all the time. I just love the shape of the mouse. I wish I could find something similar without the side buttons.

I'm considering using a different mouse and mapping my D and F to my side buttons for league, but I don't really have an issue reaching them on my keyboard so I don't really see the point.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 12:07:41 »

Unless I'm using my naga for WoW I don't use any buttons except left and right click. I don't even use the scroll click.

I think the main reason for this is that I mostly use a Diamondback and the side buttons are not conveniently placed at all, especially the ones on the right side that I mis-click all the time. I just love the shape of the mouse. I wish I could find something similar without the side buttons.

I'm considering using a different mouse and mapping my D and F to my side buttons for league, but I don't really have an issue reaching them on my keyboard so I don't really see the point.

I haven't used scroll button / mmb since the logitech g5. They all suck now IMHO.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 14:48:23 »

what mouse is it?

A have a Deathadder and a G400.

Offline rurushu

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 10:23:26 »

I haven't used scroll button / mmb since the logitech g5. They all suck now IMHO.

though reluctant to admit that middle mouse button of mice nowadays sucks, but I still use them when browsing, it is extremely convenient to open tabs and close tabs, but is super annoying when they decide to kick the bucket and gives you double, or triple clicks...  >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 12:36:19 »

though reluctant to admit that middle mouse button of mice nowadays sucks, but I still use them when browsing, it is extremely convenient to open tabs and close tabs, but is super annoying when they decide to kick the bucket and gives you double, or triple clicks...  >:D

It's tough to find replacement switches because they're using everything under the sun nowadays for middle clicks. .

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 08:52:49 »
I have a Razer Naga 2014. Other than the bottom-most top button which is just too hard to reach, I do indeed use them all, in gaming at least. In fact the one just below the scroll wheel is a layer toggle so the side buttons are F1-F12.

Outside of gaming I still use a fair number of them since I can assign them to be various shortcuts. Copy/pasta, save for web in Photoshop, etc.

I'd been pondering an MMO mouse and got it on a whim when Amazon warehouse deals had a cheap returned one figuring I'd give it a whirl and probably dismiss it as stupid. Now I can't live without it. Whoops.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline rurushu

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 03:30:38 »
I have a Razer Naga 2014. Other than the bottom-most top button which is just too hard to reach, I do indeed use them all, in gaming at least. In fact the one just below the scroll wheel is a layer toggle so the side buttons are F1-F12.

Outside of gaming I still use a fair number of them since I can assign them to be various shortcuts. Copy/pasta, save for web in Photoshop, etc.

I'd been pondering an MMO mouse and got it on a whim when Amazon warehouse deals had a cheap returned one figuring I'd give it a whirl and probably dismiss it as stupid. Now I can't live without it. Whoops.

Are you a claw type user or palm? I think the hand size also plays a role in how you are able to use the buttons available on the mouse.

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 14:34:12 »
currently using all buttons except g6 on my g502.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 May 2016, 11:14:04 by dannrawr »

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 04:27:59 »
Logitech MX Master. Has just the right amount of buttons and wheels for me, so use em all.
pls gief bbv2

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 08:07:17 »
I use the usual suspects, right, left, middle. Then there are two on the side, the back one I use (so handy for websites and browsing in explorer) but I don't use the forward one. And 2 buttons to control the CPI - both of which I don't use.
So all but 3 buttons I use.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 21:34:56 »
Nope, I don't. I don't ever use the third button, forget the obligatory two on the side of almost every last Deathadder clone of a gaming mouse. My mouse would ideally have two buttons and a wheel. And I could probably live without the wheel.

I might as well come up with a way to actually use the two or three programmable keys I have, so as to give me an optional alternative to keyboard shorcuts to use when I feel like it, e.g. mouse-only copy-pasting.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 10:48:20 »
I hit my dpi button on accident once in awhile.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 15:56:31 »

Are you a claw type user or palm? I think the hand size also plays a role in how you are able to use the buttons available on the mouse.

Kind of a hybrid? Like, I lay more than the top of my palm on the mouse, but my fingers would hang off the edge so I curl those up, then my thumb curls in slightly to rest on the side buttons, centered over 5 and 8.

And hand size vs mouse size/shape also plays a huge role, I also considered the Logitech G600 but it was the least comfortable thing I'd ever held in the store and the weight of my ring finger would trigger that right top mouse button, so I got the Naga because I'd also held it in a store and it was a perfect fit for the way I hold mice.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline mauri

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 08:58:55 »
i never buy mice with more than 5 buttons so yes.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 00:43:26 »
I use all my Logitech G502's buttons, depending on the game, and I'll be honest when I say even that isn't enough sometimes. The less I have to take my left hand off the ESDF cluster to do stuff, the better.

For instance, I often need a minimum of THREE thumb buttons, usually some combination of aim mode, grenades, melee, grappling hook, special abilities, that sorta thing. I even use the wheel tilt for switching fire modes and grenade types!

However, I recognize that having too many buttons in the thumb cluster area without a good place to GRIP the mouse with said thumb can also be a problem. Mouse design is tricky like that.

Offline Perfex

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 02:19:32 »
I have purchased several different multi button mice, I never end up getting used to them and always go for the keyboard programming functions.

I would trade them all to get a new Boomslang with current driver support.