Author Topic: Considering a new keyboard  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Shozzking

Considering a new keyboard
« on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 22:08:45 »
I'm looking at buying myself a new keyboard and I'd like to get one thats high quality. Right now I'm using a steelseries merc and I like it but its dying on me after 5 months. I'm debating getting a mechanical keyboard but I know very little about them. I've been reading a bit about them and I think that I'd like to get a cherry mx brown as it has that clicky feeling without the sound. I'd also like it to be backlit as I often game late into the night. I was looking around at different options and it seems as if my only choice is the deck legend series. Am I missing anything out there? Is there a better type of mechanical keyboard that would meet my wants? And are there any cheap cherry mx brown keyboards out there that I could try out beforehand?

EDIT: i just noticed that deck has a model with cherry whites. Would anyone recommend those? do they give more of a click feel than the browns? and how loud are they?
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 August 2010, 22:29:06 by Shozzking »

Offline Morning Song

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 August 2010, 00:55:18 »
Cherry whites (Also called Cherry clear) are a stiffer versio of the brown. They give a little more resistence, but are not appreciably louder.  They might well be quieter, as the stiffer feel would make it easier not to bottom out.

But if you need backlighting, Deck is pretty much your only option. There is a cherry blue backlit board coming out, but it's by IOne, whose history in mechanical keyboards is a bit checkered. (Their Scorpius M10 had notoriously bad quality control). its page is at http://www.ione.com.tw/2009/Product/6A_SC-U9 BL.asp

Though i personally prefer being able to blind-type!
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 August 2010, 01:00:27 by Morning Song »
Clicky keyboards and big trackballs forever!

Keyboards:
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401, Unicomp Customizer 104, PS/2 modded IBM Model F Terminal 6110668 (current favorite)
Cherry: Filco Majestouch 105 Blue NKRO w/ doubleshots
ALPS: Dell AT101W Black SNAFU (Silent No-longer; All Fukka\'d Up), Siig Minitouch KB1948 Geek Hack Spacesaver edition, Focus FK-2001 w/ WinKeys+XM Alps
Rubber Dome: Belkin F8E887-BLK, Silitek SK-6000, Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard

Works in Progress:
Prism ATX N9 Keyboard w/ Fukkas (Clickleaf Donor), Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2/02 Brown NKRO, Cherry G81-7000HPCUS-2/02 (Doubleshot donors), Unicomp Customizer 101 (Springs donor, needs boltmod)

Pointing Devices:
Kensington Expert Mouse 7, Wacom Intuos3 6x8 w/ classic pen

Looking to buy/trade for:Dolch Cherry keycaps, Northgate Omnikey (With Fkeys on top, or both top & left), IBM Model F AT

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 August 2010, 01:05:20 »
Those Cherry clears have more tactility than browns, but are not clicky.  Cherry blues give audible feedback.  If you want back lighting, then Déck, TG3 (red backlight only and they make Déck) or the new iOne Xarmour are the mechanical options.

However, the iOne only comes in clicky blue, currently and you did mention interest in a quieter board.

Really, if you're getting a Deck, they have a 30 day refund/return policy, so really if you can't live without backlit, I say just get the Deck.  A cherry brown test board, isn't going to truly prepare you for what a Deck feels like, since they don't come with browns.  Getting a cherry brown test board, makes more sense, if you've come to the conclusion you don't want or need a backlit board.  I really just want to say, get the cherry brown test board.  Odds are, you'll love it and not worry or not spend enough to get around to that Deck.

If you are willing to learn touch typing, use some kind of lamp to shine on your keys, etc., then you can consider other boards and possibly save some money.  I started out and still do want a Deck, but when it gets down to it, their font is ugly and I don't need back lighting.  So far, Cherry Browns FTW.
That said, I'll probably be spending money I don't [strike]need[/strike] have to see ClickClack's ice keys on a backlit board.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 August 2010, 01:09:53 by washuai »
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline d4rkst4r

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 August 2010, 04:25:29 »
The Deck with tactile whites is OK with some drawbacks. Both are totally subjective. Neither browns or whites are clicky, they have a bump you can feel near the actuation point. They can make a clack sound if you bottom out with your keypresses.  

The whites just have a slightly more pronounced tactile bump than the browns. I don't know what the actuation force is, but it's adequate for comfortable typing without the tiring effect some experience with the blacks. The Deck is well built and has 8 levels of backlighting adjustable with a combinations. The key caps are made with a double shot process. They should never wear out.

There are 2 drawbacks in my opinion. One minor complaint is the key cap font is ugly. I would preferr a more standard font. My second complaint is the surface of the key caps is slightly smaller and a bit more curved than normal keycaps as on a Filco. It's a subtle difference, but enough to bother me. Since I've never heard anyone else voice the same complaint, maybe I'm just a little picky.

Another consideration for typing is the key cap profile is not graduated, it's level. On the chart, the Deck is similar to the DSA family, whereas the Filco key caps are similar to the DCS family.

I'm satisfied with the Deck for gaming and some light typing. As they say, your mileage may vary.
Italian Red FKB104M/EB ˇ Deck Legend Ice (tactile) ˇ AEKII

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 August 2010, 08:57:55 »
Quote from: Morning Song;210543
Cherry whites (Also called Cherry clear)

FYI - the Cherry White is a seperate switch. It's a high force clicky switch for space bars.

Offline Morning Song

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 August 2010, 09:08:58 »
Quote from: ch_123;210591
FYI - the Cherry White is a seperate switch. It's a high force clicky switch for space bars.

Ah! It's been too long since i read the cherry wiki. Thanks for setting me straight.

Keyboards:
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401, Unicomp Customizer 104, PS/2 modded IBM Model F Terminal 6110668 (current favorite)
ALPS: Dell AT101W Black SNAFU (Silent No-longer; All Fukka\'d Up), Siig Minitouch KB1948 Geek Hack Spacesaver edition, Focus FK-2001 w/ WinKeys+XM Alps
Rubber Dome: Belkin F8E887-BLK, Silitek SK-6000, Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard

Works in Progress:
Prism ATX N9 Keyboard w/ Fukkas (Clickleaf Donor), Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2/02 Brown NKRO, Cherry G81-7000HPCUS-2/02 (Doubleshot donors), Unicomp Customizer 101 (Springs donor, needs boltmod)

Pointing Devices:

Looking to buy/trade for:Dolch Cherry keycaps, Northgate Omnikey (With Fkeys on top, or both top & left), IBM Model F AT

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 August 2010, 09:25:02 »
Me too apparently - it seems that there was also a tactile-only high force Cherry White...

Urgh, electromechanical switches... Too many colours, not nearly enough consistency.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 August 2010, 09:30:29 by ch_123 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 August 2010, 09:42:05 »
The picture looks like a Clear slider, but the description sounds like that of a Grey switch...

Offline Morning Song

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 August 2010, 09:59:38 »
The spacebar slider in my actual CHerry Cherrybrown keyboard is gray, if that means anything. ( I just checked)

Keyboards:

Works in Progress:

Pointing Devices:

Offline Silverion77

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 August 2010, 11:34:24 »
Hey guys....ive been lurking on here for awhile and have slowly gotten addicted.
I have similar requests as Shozzking so I'd figure if he doesnt mind if i could piggyback.

I want a really high quality board, but i just keep smacking myself on which to get. At work, the server has an APC board that when i looked up has MX Black switches (i could tell by the noise that it was mechanical). I could see where the force could be an issue for some, but i really didnt find it too overpowering. It was stiff, yes, but not ridiculously stiff. I've been playing piano for years so maybe that has something to do with it? idk....
I just have this lingering feeling that the browns would be too soft (dont want blue). I mainly game at my computer atm...

My first recommendation after talking with Manyak on OC.net was to get the Deck. I like the filco, but the shiny keys turn me off.  Plus, elitekeyboards doesnt have an otaku set for it. Makes me sad cause I'd love a blank set so ppl are just like "wat?!"

Anyways, maybe u could help another lost soul out.

Thanks,
Silver

Offline Silverion77

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 August 2010, 11:49:56 »
Well i was just PMing Manyak for a quick idea because i felt noobish posting here, but i get what ur talking about.

For me the otaku issue is that he doesnt offer blacks in it.  The only consideration would be browns, but as i stated before with the key predicament, idk if the browns will be too soft for me. I mean I've read posts in the past about some ppl liking harder switches that play piano and the such.....

idk....and thx for the quick response!

Edit:  The other bit i had between Filco and Deck (quality) is that i kno the keycaps/materials are better on the deck, but the filco has a backplate.  Does it matter that much?
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 August 2010, 11:53:22 by Silverion77 »

Offline Silverion77

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 August 2010, 12:05:49 »
Yep, read all the wikis...about 5 times now :D

For black switch I was mainly looking at the Filco and Deck.  Steelseries was another option, but the weird \ would probably annoy me.

I was just looking to see what other's opinions were. I mean, do u think browns would be too soft? I wish there was something I could easily equate it too without buying a second board (which i feel this might come too).

Also, if I were to use custom keycaps, would the deck have an issue cause i kno it has a flat design vs. sculpted.  Or is that better?!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 August 2010, 12:21:20 »
Depending on what keyboard you are using now, you might find the browns to be too soft.  They are very light and take some getting used to.  Coming from fairly stiff switches, you probably wouldn't like them at first.  It takes some time to develop your touch for light switches.  Once you get used to them, you might like them as you could press the keys a little faster during gaming, and they would be better for any light typing you might do.

Offline Silverion77

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 August 2010, 12:25:41 »
Well, at this time (and forever) ive been using a pos (not point of sale lol), dirty, dell membrane keyboard.