Author Topic: Review of Dampening Method  (Read 8104 times)

Offline mseaworthy

Review of Dampening Method
« on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 13:50:03 »
This kind of an oddball review (dampening material), but it might help some.

I had a Hasu replacement controller arrive in the mail for a new board, and while I had the case open, I thought I’d see if some EDPM rubber would have enough head room inside the case for some sound dampening. It closed fine, so I cut it to fit (roughly) with some heavy scissors and tacked it down with a hot glue gun.

It reduces the sound nicely. I really like what it has done. It also probably increased the overall weight of the board by 30% due to the density of the EDPM. Previously, I had Hypersphere rings installed, and I found I preferred a little crisper, brighter sound. The rings did what they’re supposed to do, and I’d recommend them if you want an experience closer to silent.

180938-0

You might see in the photo I also dabbed a bit of hot glue on the lower left corner to add some strength to the replacement controller—not needed but a guy with a hammer sees everything as a nail…

https://i.imgur.com/aV6GYTE.png

The effect is what I would imagine PFU’s HHKB Vibration Absorption Mat (https://goo.gl/9aJDnt) is like, only you don’t have to see it as it’s on the inside, and it doesn’t change the height of your keeb. Should have made a before and after audio sample, but I forgot. Sorry.

I sourced the EDPM (industrial roofing rubber sheet—sources) from geekhack user fohat.digs for about $10, maybe even less. It’s about 1 mm thick. Cuts fine with razor or good pair of scissors. HomeDepot sells some (https://goo.gl/2jf82F), but I don’t know if it’s the same stuff (ping fohat.digs on GH).

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Review of Dampening Method
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 13:54:44 »
For the lazy...here is fohat.digs thread where you can buy epdm material

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.0

PS:I never considered putting it inside the keyboard, I just use it between the keyboard and my desk.

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 14:26:15 »
Another good material is sorbothane acoustic dampening rubber (which you can get from Amazon). You can buy it in sheets and cut it up as needed. It is specifically designed to make loud things quiet (in an industrial environment typically).

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 20:17:53 »
Heres one of my HHKB polyurethane foam inserts:

And heres a before/after sound review:

-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 21:46:57 »
Heres one of my HHKB polyurethane foam inserts:
Show Image

And heres a before/after sound review:

sounds exactly the same to me.. i don't think the slight change in reverb comes over the microphone well.

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 22:06:21 »
Thank you for the post, have been looking for something regarding this!  :thumb:

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 09:48:58 »
I dampened the plate and case on my latest build. Being a tray mount case I can't really compare before and after with the plate damping, but preliminary tests show big ping reduction. Used 1/8" sponge neoprene with adhesive backing.

keyboards.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 10:14:07 »
I agree. In my experience the aluminum cases show the biggest sound improvement/change with adding a layer of sound deadening. I equate it to a musical woodblock sound being suppressed.

Some more examples:

-Dana