Author Topic: Replace old PS2 cord with USB  (Read 3176 times)

Offline ValerieV

Replace old PS2 cord with USB
« on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 19:45:23 »
Is it extremely difficult to replace an old PS cord with a USB cord? I am going to modify an old keyboard and i was just curious if it's difficult and if anyone has ever done it. Thanks.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Replace old PS2 cord with USB
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 19:46:08 »
Use a Soarer-verter, blue cube or similar. :)

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 19:47:44 »
Thanks. Is it very difficult for a first timer like me?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 19:50:12 »
Buy one of these. It should work just fine. :)

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 20:15:38 »
Yeah i have that. I just wanted to really change it up a bit. I saw someone on youtube change a HHKB to bluetooth.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 20:18:38 »
Why do you want to change it up when you have accomplished your end result? I don't follow.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 20:26:46 »
I am envious of all you guys who can totally change a keyboard to look the exact way you want. I still haven't mastered the art of replacing a big key from the stabilizer.  :mad: Then i see some people changing their keyboard to wireless and i am even more envious. The best thing i did with a keyboard was replace basic keycaps. Boring! I want a challenge. I honestly think my main goal right now is to master the art of soldering and that is my project next week.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 20:28:27 »
A Soarer-verter will allow you to make the board USB, and allow you to solder. :) Have fun with that, or rip your blue cube apart and put it inside by soldering the correct wires to the PS/2 port pads and the USB goes to your computer.
Found a guide on ripping apart your blue cube.. http://imgur.com/a/CFKgY#0
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2013, 20:35:28 by SmallFry »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 20:34:16 »
As I understand it, wired conversions are trivial, but the wireless conversion is an order of magnitude harder.

For one thing, you have to find a wireless donor and adapt its guts to your board.

Never even come close to trying it, myself.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 20:56:27 »
Thanks guys!  :D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 21:00:42 »
I am envious of all you guys who can totally change a keyboard to look the exact way you want. I still haven't mastered the art of replacing a big key from the stabilizer.  :mad: Then i see some people changing their keyboard to wireless and i am even more envious. The best thing i did with a keyboard was replace basic keycaps. Boring! I want a challenge. I honestly think my main goal right now is to master the art of soldering and that is my project next week.
We all learned by doing one thing at a time and acquiring tools along the way. Keycaps are a start, many never even take them off, much less replace them, most don't even have a mechanical keyboard. Most of this stuff isn't that complex, it just requires time, research and tools/creativity.

Soldering is a good place to start, but remember, you can destroy with it as well. You want to melt as fast as possible and get the iron away from the object. The longer you keep it there, the more risk there is that you will burn it up before you melt the solder. Therefore, it's better to have your iron too hot than not hot enough.

I also agree with Fohat.digs, converting to wireless is a lot tougher and I have yet to try it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 21:27:48 »
We all learned by doing one thing at a time and acquiring tools along the way. Keycaps are a start, many never even take them off, much less replace them, most don't even have a mechanical keyboard. Most of this stuff isn't that complex, it just requires time, research and tools/creativity.

Soldering is a good place to start, but remember, you can destroy with it as well. You want to melt as fast as possible and get the iron away from the object. The longer you keep it there, the more risk there is that you will burn it up before you melt the solder. Therefore, it's better to have your iron too hot than not hot enough.

I also agree with Fohat.digs, converting to wireless is a lot tougher and I have yet to try it.

Now when you say it is better to have your iron too hot than not hot enough, isn't there a risk of burning the switch? I thought it is better to not have it too hot so i can slowly solder but you're saying do it fast. Can you expand on why it is important to go fast? Thanks because i have never soldered before.