Author Topic: Looking into purchasing a mechanical keyboard  (Read 2603 times)

Offline cnt

Looking into purchasing a mechanical keyboard
« on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 17:49:55 »
Hello,

As quite a number of other new members here, I stumbled upon the forums looking for some information on mechanical keyboards. As an avid gamer I was exposed to the enthusiastic advertising of the SteelSeries G6/G7, and tried out one at a local LAN party. Needless to say, I quite liked the superior typing experience, but as an avid skeptic, I had a feeling that the Danish company is merely re-branding and selling a product type that already exists in higher quality, lower priced and pretty much superior alternatives. So on I went in search of some information, and after taking notice of the Das keyboard and reading a little about IBM's Buckling-Spring models, I came across these forums.

Enough with the random blabbering, let's cut to the essentials.

I'm looking for a keyboard to meet the following demands:

* Tactile, non Clicky keyboard. I want to feel it, I don't want to hear it. And I especially don't want other people in the house to hear it in the middle of the night.

* Standard US/International Lay-out, a numeral pad isn't a must, but a full-sized keyboard is preferable.

* N-Key Roll-Over. last thing I want is to spend money on a keyboard that jams.

* High quality materials and a solid construction, I've read some complaints about Costar manufactured keyboards have the lettering rub-off or the keys lose the coating, I don't want to spend money on a product that won't last.

* A dark color is extremely preferable over white and gray variations, no blank keyboards please, since I won't be the only one using it. I prefer the keyboard not to have Chinese/Japanese/Korean lettering.

I will be using the keyboard mostly to type text (I co-edit and write for an Israeli alternative music web magazine), play computer games (FPS, RTS, MMORPG) and in a number of months either to code or type long papers, depends on what I'll be studying in university.

I reside in Israel, so hopefully I can have the supposed keyboard be shipped here. I can also have it shipped to relatives in California, so US shipment is possible, but less desired.

Price is, mostly, not an issue. I don't see myself spending hundreds of US dollars on a Topre Realforce just yet. What I do want is a good return for the price I will be paying.

From sniffing the Filco FKBN104M/EB seems idle, other than the complaints regarding the keys wearing out quite swiftly.

Thanks in advance.
Filco FKBN104M/EB
Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 1.1A

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 18:04:15 »
I recommend the FKBN104M/EB.  The complaints are just that the matte coating seems to wear off a little, revealing more of a shiny surface.  The switches themselves do not wear out.

Another option is an ABS M1.  Those are black alps which are tactile/non-clicky.  However, it has the same issue with the coating coming off.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 18:35:33 »
Yeah, I think the Filco might be your best bet, despite the coating rubbing off thing.

Offline huha

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 18:39:12 »
I think you'll be fine with the Filco. But be aware that true n-key rollover is not possible with USB (unless there is a special controller, communications protocol and driver); the USB HID Class Definition allows up to 6 simultaneous key presses excluding modifier keys.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 18:44:01 »
However, the N-key rollover Filcos speak PS/2 as well with a pin adapter, and I believe they come with that pin adapter.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 18:52:41 »
Ditto on the Filco with brown cherries....
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline cnt

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 19:18:54 »
I reckon it will be cheapest purchasing it from the US distributor then?

I must admit I'm a little disappointed with the coating complaints, but I guess you can't have everything. Speaking of everything, is there actually a keyboard that meets all of the aforementioned demands (since the Costar don't meet the Quality demand)? I will be most likely getting the Filco FKBN104M/EB, but I'm just wondering ^^`

Thanks for the quick replies.
Filco FKBN104M/EB

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 19:22:06 »
Maybe a Realforce, but that will run you at least around $300 (not sure about cost to get to you, specifically).  I haven't heard any complaints about the Realforce's keys losing their coating.

The switches are also of a different variety (you can read about that everywhere around here, right now).

Offline twolf

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 19:22:11 »
I just got that filco today from that distributor and I am very happy with it. The n-key rollover is really nice.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 20:00:55 »
Quote from: FKSSR;28028
I recommend the FKBN104M/EB.  The complaints are just that the matte coating seems to wear off a little, revealing more of a shiny surface.  The switches themselves do not wear out.

Another option is an ABS M1.  Those are black alps which are tactile/non-clicky.  However, it has the same issue with the coating coming off.

To be fair, the coating will wear down on most keyboards.  The primary difference is how quickly this occurs, and how visible the wear is when it occurs.

Offline cnt

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 20:02:41 »
A Realforce would require too deep of a dive it seems. I'm fine with spending 130$ on a keyboard that I know will out-perform similarly priced membrane keyboards, I still don't know whether I'll be fine with spending 300$ on a keyboard.

It's reassuring to know that there's no middle ground between the two price ranges.
Thanks again, appreciate your help people.
Filco FKBN104M/EB

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 20:16:43 »
I agree with skriefal, and I do still think the Filco is your best bet.