Author Topic: Truly Ergonomic Communication - Aug 25 2011  (Read 29321 times)

Offline hoggy

Truly Ergonomic Communication - Aug 25
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 15:36:19 »
Tea is the perfect keyboard accessory... I get on quite well with Earl Grey and Chai.

I've tried a typematrix - the idea is good - moving the modifiers to the middle is good, but it's quite a change.  The kinesis advantage beats it soundly.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline shrap

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 15:54:55 »
Quote from: Gerk;407559
Also even if your desk is not the right height, adjust your chair to match the height of the desk for typing.

If your feet end up off the floor, get a sturdy box, reams of paper, or styrofoam to rest your feet so you can reduce the pressure on your hamstrings.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 19:00:05 »
Quote from: kps;407387
Non-programmable Kinesiseses can be made programmable with the insertion of a 60¢ EEPROM.

Is there a solid source for these that is easy to deal with and priced competitively that I can list in the wiki? I already have too many, but it could be very helpful in the future.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline hella

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 22:50:12 »
I'm a registered nurse in California and I've got a bachelors of science in Kinesiology.  I've done quite a few papers on keyboard and desk ergonomics.

I have to say the kinesis advantage and any split keyboard better promote anatomical alignment than the truly ergonomic keyboard.

In terms of their "healthier healthiest" chart I'd place the advantage slightly above the microsoft ergonomic keyboard in terms of "healthyness" (which isn't even defined).

Offline rantenki

• http://armyofevilrobots.com/
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 17:09:26 »
Quote from: input nirvana;406269
All TE proposed items are off-the-shelf except:
1-case
2-wrist rest (optional)
3-2 or 4 keycaps
4-controller/firmware

This keyboard can be made in a week, with the exceptions of the 4 items listed above. The case (#1) and 2 or 4 keys (#3) can easily be improvised depending on how much someone wants to spend (Shapeways?). The controller (#4) it will depend on what features someone wants (HumbleHacker, Hasu?). So if people want a 90% TE board, we can make it. For gods sake, the damn thing is FLAT! Have switches from Mouser plate-mounted (or even switches TE did not propose), custom keycaps from WASD Keyboards, get the controller from one of the sources (with NO dip switches), and hand wire the thing like an $800 Maltron.

Then, TE can go screw themselves instead of screwing all of us. And if TE is really a legit company, they can come out of hiding and stop us.

Seriously, if anyone wants one of those things, contact me. If there are 10 boards we can get a good price on materials. "Geekhacks Revenge" will be sweet, sweet revenge.

PING!

I have:
 - 3d printer
 - CNC router
 - PCB router
 - EDA/CAD capabilities

I spent quite a while looking at making a custom keyboard, and then I got my Kinesis Advantage and stopped caring :D

Seriously though, if somebody else does the electronics and mechanical design, I'll help with protos.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 22:46:14 »
I'm with ya brotha! The Advantage makes a lot of other things into non-issues, right? I'm finding out that most people with Advantages feel that same way but just don't say much because they are at close to 100% and why beat a dead horse? Typically not a very vocal, strong supporting group. They got what they need and that's it. Probably why Sordna and myself are relatively vocal is because we aren't satisfied and want to improve the Advantage. (Sordna=Kinesis adding red cherry switches)

I would like to do a couple things:
1-Cost analysis and see if we can make a close TE copy and have it in peoples hands for under $200.
2-Flexible design to offer it as a split (2 halves keyboard with a cable between)

There needs to be a concerted effort on the electronics side. I will collect the several current threads, and the several past projects and link it all on the one thread I re-started. We need a name and wiki conversion. That's important, then perhaps some effort into establishing a workflow with periodic goals. I have a couple Kinesis main boards we can use as well.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Lanx

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 16:17:03 »
hopefully this is the last "bait" that TE will do, to you guys here's the website

We are no longer accepting pre-orders for the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard. Pre-orders closed August 31, 2011.

We have finalized all steps involved in manufacturing the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard in accordance with our design specifications. As a result, we are happy to announce that we are manufacturing the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard and that delivery of pre-orders will follow soon after.

We will start accepting standard orders during October 2011.

Offline jpc

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 18:03:50 »
OBLIGATORY JUXTAPOSITION

But hey, newer is better.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline sordna

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 21:25:37 »
Ok, the last bait they threw is going to be tempting, cherry MX reds:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 25499[/ATTACH]
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 21:34:59 »
That layout is ca-ray-zay!

Where the hell are home and end on it? That'd drive me nuts.

Edit: nvm just found them. Seems like doing ctrl-shift + home/end would be awkward. I do that a lot.

« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2011, 21:37:44 by keyboardlover »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 01:21:35 »
I'm still curious about an anticipated DELIVERY DATE. If they ship, and a couple of you gutsy guys do reviews, pics, and maybe a teardown? I'm still in on a copy that we build as a Geekhack Revenge at a much more reasonable cost, and a second that we do as a split version at the same much more reasonable cost.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 02:20:29 »
the TE always seemed like a board the "maker" would like and not really meant for mass production.

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 22:14:55 »
Of all the designs I can think of, the TE design seems to be the only one that stands a chance against the status quo. It's radical without being too radical.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 22:20:17 »
Let's copy it :)

Offline JBert

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 03 September 2011, 02:27:52 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;409116
Edit: nvm just found them. Seems like doing ctrl-shift + home/end would be awkward. I do that a lot.
Well, the right control and shift are still one above the other so you should be able to press them with your right hand, after which you can simply press home/end.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline rantenki

• http://armyofevilrobots.com/
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 04 September 2011, 00:58:41 »
Quote from: input nirvana;408486
I'm with ya brotha! The Advantage makes a lot of other things into non-issues, right? I'm finding out that most people with Advantages feel that same way but just don't say much because they are at close to 100% and why beat a dead horse? Typically not a very vocal, strong supporting group. They got what they need and that's it. Probably why Sordna and myself are relatively vocal is because we aren't satisfied and want to improve the Advantage. (Sordna=Kinesis adding red cherry switches)

I would like to do a couple things:
1-Cost analysis and see if we can make a close TE copy and have it in peoples hands for under $200.
2-Flexible design to offer it as a split (2 halves keyboard with a cable between)

There needs to be a concerted effort on the electronics side. I will collect the several current threads, and the several past projects and link it all on the one thread I re-started. We need a name and wiki conversion. That's important, then perhaps some effort into establishing a workflow with periodic goals. I have a couple Kinesis main boards we can use as well.

I have a short list too:
 1. Function/Escape that don't suck. I mean, they did everything so nicely for the main keys, then ****ty membrane micro-buttons for Escape and F1-12? Who decided THAT was a good idea?
 2. IBM M15 style adjustable angle. I'm 6'1" with long arms, and I feel like my wrists are doing the ulnar deviation thing unless I jam my elbows together.

Actually, both of these could be retrofitted on the Kinesis fairly easily, but in both cases, again, not bad enough to make me jump on it.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 04 September 2011, 02:36:03 »
Quote from: rantenki;410319
I have a short list too:
 1. Function/Escape that don't suck. I mean, they did everything so nicely for the main keys, then ****ty membrane micro-buttons for Escape and F1-12? Who decided THAT was a good idea?
 2. IBM M15 style adjustable angle. I'm 6'1" with long arms, and I feel like my wrists are doing the ulnar deviation thing unless I jam my elbows together.

Actually, both of these could be retrofitted on the Kinesis fairly easily, but in both cases, again, not bad enough to make me jump on it.

I changed out the weenie rubber F-keys with regular cherry browns on my split mod. It's normal now. Have 6 on the left and 6 on the right. The remaining 6 are being placed down by the thumb clusters.

M15 adjustable? Getting that type of joint may be a problem, but there is a U-joint that will work, just not look as smooth.

You can see examples of both of these on my kinesis split mod in my sig.