Author Topic: Brand New in original foam IBM Model M keyboard, part 1391401  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
Brand New in original foam IBM Model M keyboard, part 1391401
« on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 13:45:20 »
This is a Brand New in original foam IBM Model M keyboard, part 1391401 from 1992.

Here's how the IBM Model M keyboards were packaged.  From what I was told, most of these did not have "retail" box packaging since they were just going right into service in an office, so they were just taped to foam and did not have a box, like this one.  I read elsewhere that even IBM itself tossed thousands of unused and unsold Model Ms, so these are quite hard to find new.

These keyboards were factory taped to the foam as shown - I cut one side of the foam to show the top side of the Model M.

I can understand why new ones are in such high demand - there is a lot of gross gunk and hair below a majority of the used Model Ms from years of usage.

« Last Edit: Sun, 28 December 2014, 13:54:20 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

Re: Brand New in original foam IBM Model M keyboard, part 1391401
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 13:46:19 »
Some more photos with the factory seal broken on one side:

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 13:47:17 »
And the last group of photos showing the older IBM logo on this 1992 Model M:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 18:20:04 »
Very nice acquisition :)

Sad that back in the day they were just keyboards.  Mistreated.  Thrown out when no longer required or computer upgraded.  Surplus stock probably shredded.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 04:16:52 »
A thing of beauty, dude. I'm trying not to drool on my desk here. Hope you're enjoying it!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 04:20:45 »
Where did you find this beauty? Last time I looked on eBay a new Model M was going for $150, probably an exaggerated price, but still.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 08:37:43 »
Wow—when did you last look at eBay? Were iPhones around yet?  :?)
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 February 2015, 18:20:19 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 08:41:45 »
Wow—when did you last look at eBay? Was the World Trade Center still around?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 05:42:32 »
Ah, sorry—I forgot that humour wasn't allowed here.   :?|

Instead, I probably should've said, "No, actually, NIB Model M's are much more expensive now." Then you could've posted a photo of someone filing their tax return.

Offline Nover

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 06:29:27 »

Instead, I probably should've said, "No, actually, NIB Model M's are much more expensive now." Then you could've posted a photo of someone filing their tax return.

www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Model-M-Keyboard-NEW-In-Box/251839194788
SSK, Ducky YOTD

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 09:23:16 »

Humour is definitely allowed.  I'm not sure who would call what you did "humour", but if you insist...   :rolleyes:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 18:19:44 »
Humour is definitely allowed.  I'm not sure who would call what you did "humour", but if you insist...   :rolleyes:

Okay, I see your point... It was just what sprang into my mind—because it was so vivid, I guess. I'll go back and change it to something a bit more considerate. (Wouldn't it be great if we could do this in real life?)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 11:22:56 »
They do have boxes and they look like this:
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 February 2015, 11:33:51 by Snowdog993 »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 11:57:40 »

Here's how the IBM Model M keyboards were packaged.  From what I was told, most of these did not have "retail" box packaging since they were just going right into service in an office, so they were just taped to foam and did not have a box, like this one.

I believe you were told wrong.  They all came with boxes when they are shipped.  My guess is the place that obtained these keyboards, the IT people took them all out to be sure they had every keyboard in their inventory.  They sometimes took information such as the serial number etc, to avoid theft.  This is just the way some corporations worked.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:44:06 »
If I would have had access to mass quantities of keyboards like that back in the day,  there very well may have been some theft  :)).  Good information btw.  Nice looking box.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 03:37:11 »
Ever have dreams of being transported back in time, where you could just walk into a store and buy the stuff you always craved? This is like that.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 04:01:03 »
Ever have dreams of being transported back in time, where you could just walk into a store and buy the stuff you always craved? This is like that.

If I could travel back in time I'd probably stay there.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ