Author Topic: So I Plasti Dipped my QFR  (Read 23874 times)

Offline Snikrep

So I Plasti Dipped my QFR
« on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 00:58:49 »
Hey guys and gals  :p

I just wanted to share a little project I completed today.

This was done over the course of about 6 hours (wouldn't have taken quite so long if I didn't mess up the first time and have to peel it all off).

I hope you guys like it as this completes my Stormtrooper feel for my desk setup.

Pics folllow (sorry if rather potato-esque):

74435-0

Add a little artistry to picture for obvious effect:

74437-1

And this side turned out a little bubbly but still looks really good IMO:

74439-2

Let me know what you all think,

Snikrep
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 August 2014, 01:16:23 by Snikrep »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: So I Plasti Dipped my QFR
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 05:59:08 »
Not bad.  Not bad at all!

The inverted top row is an interesting touch!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Snikrep

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 11:02:44 »
Thanks Rowdy!!!!

Yeah the inverted top row was an idea I had and I think it worked out nice.

I really like the the flipped spacebar as well (for obvious typing reasons ;)), but the color scheme I wanted meant that this was a good way of doing the top row.

Offline EupraxiaCM

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 10:24:15 »
I've been thinking of trying this. I love the matte black Plasti Dip, but I'm worried it's going to start peeling off after a while. I PD'd some speaker covers in my car a while back and that happened after a few months. Too scared to risk my QFR, haha.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 09:16:07 »
Nice! Thinking about plastidipping my xt with gun metal grey.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 09:37:16 »
Ew ew more deets pls. Did you prime it?  The PD is rattle can, right?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Snikrep

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:15:50 »
Ew ew more deets pls. Did you prime it?  The PD is rattle can, right?

So no sanding, no primer. The Plastidip is in a rattle can.

I just took my time to make sure I coated it evenly and it turned out pretty good.

I have recently taken the PD off since it was peeling so I made end up sanding and painting it soon.

Offline shantanujoshi

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 19:57:47 »
When you plasti dipped it was it just on cardboard or did you hang it or suspend it or something to get all the edges. I know plasti dip sorta fuses together at the end
Never judge a man by his post count
[Hasu 55g HHKB PINK RFs] [GON HHKB Zeals] [GON TKL w/ Erg Clears] [IBM SSK] [VE.A Zeliostotles] [Ergodox Gatistotles]

Offline Snikrep

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 14:19:32 »
When you plasti dipped it was it just on cardboard or did you hang it or suspend it or something to get all the edges. I know plasti dip sorta fuses together at the end

I set it on a piece of cardboard with some supports underneath it so it wasn't directly on the cardboard.

It was a little frustrating at times since I did it on my back patio with a slight breeze but it turned out okay I think.

If I was to redo the whole thing, since it was peeling, I would suspend it somehow to cover the whole of the case.

Offline Anole

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:31:19 »
Looks great! ;D

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 18:37:54 »
How does it feel? I plastidipped my wheels but I'm not sure the plastic feel is... also, do you think if it got stained you could wash it? It seems like porous plastic.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 00:27:59 »
Glad I ran across this thread - I picked up some orange Plasti Dip over the weekend.  Sounds like I need to setup something to suspend it from to paint it.  I just did a quick spray tonight to check the color and I already had issues with it just sitting on cardboard.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)