Author Topic: Shipping cost  (Read 9449 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Shipping cost
« on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 15:05:43 »
Hi,

I was going to grab a couple of top row PBT keycaps at $3 each, when I noticed that shipping was $4.50.  Is there any particular reason for such a high shipping price for something that fits into a very small envelope even with bubble wrap?

Thanks!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Shipping cost
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 15:09:35 »
I'm in a similar boat.  I was looking at some switch stickers, something that could easily fit in an envelope and cost less than $1 to ship and shipping is $4.50.

That said, I know with small packages, the US shipping rate isn't exactly all that cheap.  I've looked at buying postage online for a small bubble mailer and it's usually no cheaper than a Priority Flat Rate envelope.

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 15:19:10 »
You are right the actual postage is not that high, but shipping is what it is for several reasons.

1. Stamps.com has a monthly fee
2. Cost of Bubble Mailers / Boxes / Packing Materials
3. Occasionally USPS drops the ball, and I get to pay not only to replace the goods, but to ship it again.
4. Depending on what the order is, I sometimes have to ship it in to parts (i.e. Art Print + Keys)
5. Shipping is free over $25

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 15:38:50 »
You are right the actual postage is not that high, but shipping is what it is for several reasons.

1. Stamps.com has a monthly fee
2. Cost of Bubble Mailers / Boxes / Packing Materials
3. Occasionally USPS drops the ball, and I get to pay not only to replace the goods, but to ship it again.
4. Depending on what the order is, I sometimes have to ship it in to parts (i.e. Art Print + Keys)
5. Shipping is free over $25

For what its worth I think paying someone who is part of the community that gets us things we might not order otherwise get an extra couple dollars is well worth it.

Personally I would rather spend over 25 to not only support boiler but just to get more awesome stuff.

And realistically most places charge more for shipping anyway.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 15:42:50 »
Got it--thanks!  I'll wait until I am ready to get $25+ of stuff then.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:28:09 »
Not really a cost question but didn't know where else to put this.

For some reason my techkeys orders take so much longer to get here than other things coming usps.

Example, my auction items were shipped the same day as my techkeys order, one coming from PA, one from CA are out for delivery today, but my techkeys order from IL, which is the same state I live in is still processing through initial sorting centers.

Is this a stamps.com issue? I know my items from mimic's auction was shipped using stamps.com and it took over a week to get here when it came from ~4 hours away.

I'm in no way complaining about techkeys I'm just curious whats up with USPS.

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:53:04 »
You know from my experience it is luck of the draw with USPS and has nothing to do with Stamps.com

9/10 times domestic packages take 2 days to reach their destinations.  The other 1/10 times things go haywire and it takes over a week.  I have noticed this in packages I have sent, and received.

One time I sent a PRIORITY package to a location that was literally 6 blocks away.  It went to New Orleans...took over a week to get delivered.  I should have just walked it over.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 12:00:21 »
You know from my experience it is luck of the draw with USPS and has nothing to do with Stamps.com

9/10 times domestic packages take 2 days to reach their destinations.  The other 1/10 times things go haywire and it takes over a week.  I have noticed this in packages I have sent, and received.

One time I sent a PRIORITY package to a location that was literally 6 blocks away.  It went to New Orleans...took over a week to get delivered.  I should have just walked it over.

Thanks for the information/clarification. USPS is indeed crazy sometimes.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 07:05:03 »
I have a question about the 'FREE' shipping...

The FAQ on techkeys.us says

US / Orders over $25     Priority Box     FREE

So I made sure to order over $25 but my stuff was shipped first class?

Just curious, this seems to be the norm as I think most things that I've ordered even if they were supposed to ship priority never do.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 12:47:13 »
I took advantage of the free shipping over $25. I've been wanting to pick up a Mario/Luigi set and figured it was about time for me to pick up a moogle kit to use my WYSE set :thumb:

Any word on if the Wario will be back in stock some time soon?

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 13:28:15 »
I think there are still some left - will adjust inventory tonight.  Wario should be coming back soon in the R1 variety.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 15:18:55 »
I think there are still some left - will adjust inventory tonight.  Wario should be coming back soon in the R1 variety.

If there are a few more and you haven't sent my order out, I'd like to add one. I'll send you a PM.