Author Topic: Posting Country Name On Classified Thread Title  (Read 5975 times)

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
Posting Country Name On Classified Thread Title
« on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 14:10:00 »
Hello everyone,

After a day on this forum, it's clear to me that we have a very diverse and worldwide community here. This can be a little annoying in the Classifieds section, where I have to look at every thread that interests me and check if that it would be practical to post said item to me.
I'm in the UK, and I have to check threads to see where the seller is based and then if postage wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg, that's why I think people should post where they are based in the thread title, for example:

WTS/WWT Topre Clacks (Canada)
Want To Buy Ducky Shine (UK)

I think this would make browsing the classifieds easier for a lot of people. What do you think?
Thanks, Alessandro.
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Posting Country Name On Classified Thread Title
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 14:15:08 »
I wish more people would just put their location in their profile, so that when they post such a thread, you can easily tell where they are located. Less cumbersome than cluttering up the title of the thread.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 14:20:34 »
Yeah, that's fair. I did also notice the amount of people that don't post the location!

Thanks! :)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 14:29:00 »
I wish more people would just put their location in their profile, so that when they post such a thread, you can easily tell where they are located. Less cumbersome than cluttering up the title of the thread.

This 100%
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline 1stGenRex

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 14:35:06 »
I think the country in Brackets before the title would be a better way to do it.

For example-

[US] CCnG Set for $2!
[UK] Free Cherry ESC key
[AUS] Kangaroo Keycaps!

You get the picture....

Offline Dajm

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 14:38:12 »
Yeah, I agree, putting the country in the title would help.
Putting the location in the user profile should be mandatory before being allowed to post in the classifieds section, I think. It's really not that hard to fill that field.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 14:39:47 »
I think that with the WTS or WTB tag it would make the title very long.

Where they are located only affects the price, and to get the price and evaluate the condition of the items you pretty much have to click it and read the post, which means that you will read the location in the post itself anyway.

It only helps those that absolutely don't want to ship from other countries and don't want to click and read the ads, which is a bit ignorant if you don't even know the price of the item. I vote putting country in the profile.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 14:48:59 »
Putting it in the profile is fair, it's a great idea, but it's a case of getting people to adopt to it.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 14:49:27 »
I think the country in Brackets before the title would be a better way to do it.

For example-

[US] CCnG Set for $2!
[UK] Free Cherry ESC key
[AUS] Kangaroo Keycaps!

You get the picture....

That would get mess since most people put [FS] or [WTB] or [WTT] in the front of their thread to show what they are intending to do.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 14:49:27 »

Putting the location in the user profile should be mandatory before being allowed to post in the classifieds section, I think. It's really not that hard to fill that field.

This.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 15:12:33 »
Yeah, I agree, putting the country in the title would help.

I think that with the WTS or WTB tag it would make the title very long.

^ This.

+1 :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 15:16:35 »
Success!  ;)

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 15:20:54 »
Updated with location

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 15:39:50 »
I posted this in Feature Requests, so maybe mkawa can help implement it.

in memoriam

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 15:47:53 »
Awesome, thank you!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 05:55:04 »
[AUS] Kangaroo Keycaps!

This made me lol  :))

But yeah, +1 and I have just updated my profile accordingly.

The number of times I have looked at a WTS and seen "CONUS only".

But having said that, even if all profiles had the country specified, you would still have to open each Classifieds thread to see the country of the poster.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 August 2012, 05:59:45 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 06:03:50 »
Yes, that is true, but it's easier then only later finding out that they don't ship to you.

Offline aeta

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 06:15:19 »
Where's the place to enter location? I typed mine in the personal text section, is there an alternate way to do it?
Keycool 84, IBM Model M SSK, Noppoo Choc Pro
http://imgur.com/a/z2x2p#0

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 06:21:42 »
Where's the place to enter location? I typed mine in the personal text section, is there an alternate way to do it?
Go on to the modify profile section and you can enter your location under your birth date.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 18:27:24 »
I think people should just add their location to their profile. The bracket thing along with the [wtb] and [fs] will make the titles of the classified section very long and cluttered, plus I'm lazy so I would quit reading half-way through the title and then not even look at it.  :p

Offline Ian S

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 19:17:20 »
even if all profiles had the country specified, you would still have to open each Classifieds thread to see the country of the poster.
And that's a really big annoyance.

It's people in the UK that are bothered by this as we have to add 20% + £10 to items plus some often ridiculous shipping. So I'm really just looking for UK sellers.  I can't find them without opening EVERY add and that's huge waste of time.

Over at HeadFi they often add (UK) or (UK seller) after the ad.

A used Realforce from the USA often costs more than new one from the UK seller.  And they're not ISO.  I don't want to waste any more time looking at USA ads for those.  I want to scan the classifieds for Realforce UK or Topre UK.

So instead of everyone putting their country in the title perhaps just non USA ones could?

I co-run a car club with a classifieds section and due to popular request we made it mandatory for sellers to put their location in the title.  Mostly people in that situation need to see the car or large items before they part with cash so will only look for adverts with in their travel distance limit.  But the point is that is doesn't clutter the title for us.  I also categorised the ads to make it easier to narrow the search, Cars for sale, Cars Wanted, Parts, Wheels, etc.  The appearance is, to my eyes, a lot sharper and tighter.  We must have used smaller font, and black on white, and spent some time pruning the default vBulletin out of it and making it easy to see and read.  This GH orange on beige is, for this Irlen Syndrome sufferer, particularly hard to see.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 September 2012, 19:55:43 by Ian S »
QPAD MK85 MX-red currently wearing beige vintage Cherry double shots.  Logitech K750.  Cherry G80 1000 with Blacks / Grey (circa 1990) that I've had since about 1994.

Sold: Realforce 88UB 45g; QPAD MK80 MX-Blue.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 00:07:42 »
Or ... how about a message icon with a picture of a flag of your country?

There would not necessarily need to be one flag per country (that would be hundreds), but maybe US, Canada, UK, Australia, Europe (in general).

Would that be possible?  Additional countrys' flags could be added if there was sufficient (or maybe just any) demand.

Then, when starting a new Classifieds thread, just select the icon corresponding to the flag corresponding to your country.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 01:39:56 »
A globe icon to indicate worldwide shipping is an idea, as I ship worldwide. If I wasn't so lazy I would make a thread here as well. But I should really update my DT thread first...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 02:14:18 »
A globe icon to indicate worldwide shipping is an idea, as I ship worldwide. If I wasn't so lazy I would make a thread here as well. But I should really update my DT thread first...
I think you're missing the point.

Most people already ship worldwide. What OP wants is to know who is in his area as to avoid fees/expensive shipping/ dealing with customs and wait time.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 05:13:38 »
Yeah, so instead of message icons like thumbs up, thumbs down, yellow circle with "!" or paperclip, you would see a list of country flags, and could click on only those threads with your country's flag as the icon.

Offline Ian S

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 06:19:43 »
I think that's a great idea :)  I was just having a vague half of that idea in the shower whilst cogitating on what I posted last night.  I log on here to find it completed :)

If this is a vBulletin site, it might be possible to import such Icons.  I've done it for the message Icons:  :) on another site, but not for the title ones.  Don't know if it can be done without a plug in or a bit of custom coding.  I expect someone here will know ??

But if it can that seems to me like a solution for the classifieds.  :)

If someone does NOT put eg (conus) after their post then fair to assume they ship world wide?
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 September 2012, 06:23:06 by Ian S »
QPAD MK85 MX-red currently wearing beige vintage Cherry double shots.  Logitech K750.  Cherry G80 1000 with Blacks / Grey (circa 1990) that I've had since about 1994.

Sold: Realforce 88UB 45g; QPAD MK80 MX-Blue.

Offline Lenfried

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 08:46:51 »
Go on to the modify profile section and you can enter your location under your birth date.

Thankyou for information.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 10:31:04 »
I like the idea of the country flag!