Author Topic: Yet another "reccommend me a mouse" thread [2.0] [FPS]  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Shinx

Yet another "reccommend me a mouse" thread [2.0] [FPS]
« on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 01:35:52 »
I am in the market for a new mouse. I was going to buy a random mouse from a local brick and mortar, but after reading here I learned some mice have built in acceleration and stuff like that. I feel now the same way I did when I learned about mechanical keyboards: Informed but lost. Actually, It was reading here where I learned about key blocking and made me really picky about keyboards. Amongst my peer group and university eduatiors, I come across as rather particular and snobby about my keyboards. I will now be the same way about mice.

Anyway, I hail from a lousy Microsoft Sidewinder x5 and play with the highest DPI I can (I guess this makes me a mouse nooblord from what I've read?)

Basically I need a mouse with minimal to no acceleration. Side buttons would be extra nice for Mumble and the like. I will be doing competitive FPS (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Team Fotress 2) I would like to have on-the-fly adjustable DPI, but in retrospect I could live with plain old normal adjustable DPI, since I don't do much of the on-the-fly adjusting. I play a Scoot in Hat Collector 2 and I notice my mouse does some sort of wacky acceleration going on, and I would LOVE to avoid that. Thankles in advance!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 14:08:33 »
I just finished the CS:S guide and thought it was quite helpful but check the other stickies about mice.

http://www.overclock.net/f/375/mice

People seem to really like the Logitech G400

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Optical-Gaming-High-Precision-910-002277/dp/B0055QZ216

Not to do derail, but I'm curious what you think of CS:GO?

Offline funxion

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 14:23:44 »
I HIGHLY recommend the Logitech G9x. Always have, always will until I find something better.

Here's a list of everything it has:

-Comfort
-On-the-fly DPI Increase/Decrease Buttons (fully customizable)
-Two Side Buttons
-Clickable and Side-Shifting Scroll Wheel
-DPI goes up to 5700 and each axis (X and Y) can be customized individually (which I strongly advise against deeming you're primarily an FPS gamer)
-Polling Rate Options are 125, 200, 250, 333, 500, and 1000.
-LED color is fully customizable

I probably left out a few things, but that's generally what appealed to me when I bought it and honestly, I don't use half of that crap. The mouse is extremely comfortable and coming from someone who you can relate to since I've played CoD4, BO, and MW3 all at a competitive level on PC, you'll love the mouse. I've pubbed Source and probably will be getting into CS:GO, and I kid you not, you won't regret buying this mouse.

Only other mouse I would give a try would be the SteelSeries Xai. I've always wanted to buy one, but my G9x hasn't had a flaw in 2+ years so I have no reason to. Please don't buy a Razer mouse though...

Good luck in your search! Post here or PM me if you have any questions!
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline Shinx

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 16:02:16 »
Quote from: JesuswasaZombie;570000
I just finished the CS:S guide and thought it was quite helpful but check the other stickies about mice.

http://www.overclock.net/f/375/mice

People seem to really like the Logitech G400

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Optical-Gaming-High-Precision-910-002277/dp/B0055QZ216

Not to do derail, but I'm curious what you think of CS:GO?

I didn't really play a lot of 1.6 and I played some source, but I noticed that CS:GO was actually Pretty Good. Many people are mad that its not a graphical update to 1.6 and I say Change is Good.

Quote from: funxion;570009
I HIGHLY recommend the Logitech G9x. Always have, always will until I find something better.

Here's a list of everything it has:

-Comfort
-On-the-fly DPI Increase/Decrease Buttons (fully customizable)
-Two Side Buttons
-Clickable and Side-Shifting Scroll Wheel
-DPI goes up to 5700 and each axis (X and Y) can be customized individually (which I strongly advise against deeming you're primarily an FPS gamer)
-Polling Rate Options are 125, 200, 250, 333, 500, and 1000.
-LED color is fully customizable

I probably left out a few things, but that's generally what appealed to me when I bought it and honestly, I don't use half of that crap. The mouse is extremely comfortable and coming from someone who you can relate to since I've played CoD4, BO, and MW3 all at a competitive level on PC, you'll love the mouse. I've pubbed Source and probably will be getting into CS:GO, and I kid you not, you won't regret buying this mouse.

Only other mouse I would give a try would be the SteelSeries Xai. I've always wanted to buy one, but my G9x hasn't had a flaw in 2+ years so I have no reason to. Please don't buy a Razer mouse though...

Good luck in your search! Post here or PM me if you have any questions!

I'll totally check that one out as I've seen it recommended quite a bit all over everywhere here. I hope I can adjust to another mouse. The Sidewinder made me change quite a bit and it was uncomfortable and hopefully I can get used to something thats actually Good.

EDIT: I actually have a sidewinder x8 and not an x5.

Offline funxion

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 16:09:45 »
Just keep in mind any mouse you're going to switch to (unless it's a duplicate of what you already have) will take some time to adjust to.

I switched to a G9x from an Apple wireless mouse that came with my iMac when I switched back to PC in '09. Very different from the simplicity of an Apple mouse, but it only took a few days to get used to.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline Shinx

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 17:49:40 »
Yeah I'm willing to adjust, I just am bad with wording things. I was trying to imply I really did not like the sidewinder at all.

Offline funxion

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 17:52:54 »
You worded it fine! I was just making a point!
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 18:05:20 »
Quote from: Shinx;569622
I am in the market for a new mouse. I was going to buy a random mouse from a local brick and mortar, but after reading here I learned some mice have built in acceleration and stuff like that. I feel now the same way I did when I learned about mechanical keyboards: Informed but lost. Actually, It was reading here where I learned about key blocking and made me really picky about keyboards. Amongst my peer group and university eduatiors, I come across as rather particular and snobby about my keyboards. I will now be the same way about mice.

Anyway, I hail from a lousy Microsoft Sidewinder x5 and play with the highest DPI I can (I guess this makes me a mouse nooblord from what I've read?)

Basically I need a mouse with minimal to no acceleration. Side buttons would be extra nice for Mumble and the like. I will be doing competitive FPS (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Team Fotress 2) I would like to have on-the-fly adjustable DPI, but in retrospect I could live with plain old normal adjustable DPI, since I don't do much of the on-the-fly adjusting. I play a Scoot in Hat Collector 2 and I notice my mouse does some sort of wacky acceleration going on, and I would LOVE to avoid that. Thankles in advance!

ESR lists nine mice with flawless sensors.

Fingertip/claw grip
CM Storm Spawn (has issues with Mumble)
Razer Abyssus

Palm grip
Logitech G400
Microsoft IMO 1.1
Microsoft IMO 3.0
Microsoft Optical Mouse Blue
Microsoft WMO 1.1
Razer Deathadder 3G
Razer Deathadder 3.5G

All other mice not on this list have been confirmed to have prediction and/or acceleration, which is horrible when it comes to accuracy (especially in a FPS).  The G9x and other mice with the 9500 sensor (G500, Xai, and Naos) all have built-in acceleration.  Big no-no.

The DA has been a go-to mouse for FPS gamers for a long, long time and for good reason.  The tracking of the mouse is absolutely superb.  The multiple buttons make it easy to have custom configurations for any type of setup you want.  The on-the-fly DPI adjustment is on the bottom of the mouse; you probably won't be using it at all.

I had the chance to try out the G400 a few weeks back and it has an awesome feel to it if you're a palm-gripper.  Perhaps more so than the DA.  Also tracks very nicely, really nice glide to it.  I didn't get to play with it that much, but from a limited test-drive I was pretty satisfied with it as a palm-grip mouse.

I'd gladly recommend either the DA or G400 for you.
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 18:21:35 »
Quote from: sawedust;570145

Fingertip/claw grip
Razer Abyssus

Ditto, Abyssus is perfect for fingertip grip. Not so much for palm, and I've got small hands. However it doesn't have side buttons, and DPI switching is done through a switch on the bottom. I think I crossed Abyssus off your list, hope that helped narrow it down.
I love Elzy

Offline Shinx

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 20:09:20 »
You did! But on ESR it says:
"So far odds are DA 3G sensor > DA 3.5G"
 I was still planning on getting the 3.5G, but what does that quote mean?

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 20:51:51 »
The 3Gv2 has a lower lift-off distance IIRC, around 1 CD?  The 3Gv3 and the 3.5G have their LODs around 2-3 CDs.  That's the reason why the sensor is better.

A lot of people have mentioned that the 3Gv2 feels better in hand, but unfortunately I haven't been able to try one for myself.  The 3.5G had very sharp edges and I wasn't a fan of the glossy, non-rubberized sides.  However, the DA 3.5G has a 3500 DPI setting, which might come in handy if that's what you're looking for.  All DAs have perfect control at 1800 DPI, so keep that in mind.

More info here at OCN: http://www.overclock.net/t/1128321/the-deathadder-megathread
QuanticGaming.com

Offline Shinx

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 21:17:02 »
I wonder if that article is biased towards one or the other ;)
I think I might give the 3.5G a go unless theres a REALLY compelling reason to get the 3G instead.

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 22:39:32 »
Quote from: Shinx;570269
I wonder if that article is biased towards one or the other ;)
I think I might give the 3.5G a go unless theres a REALLY compelling reason to get the 3G instead.

I was extremely happy with my 3.5G, only reason I got rid of it was because the CM Storm Spawn was a better fit for my claw-grip.  3.5G is readily available at most brick-and-mortar electronic stores as well as online.  LOD might make a difference for you seeing as how you play FPS games.  Most competitive players seek to reduce the LOD to a level that's as low as possible.  You don't want to be lifting your mouse to reset it, only to have the cursor track across the screen as you're doing it.  Having a lower LOD helps out in that regard.

The DA Black Edition could be another option if you're into the matte look.  Lots of people said it has a better feel than the DA 3.5G.  Once again, I haven't tried it myself so I'm just going off others' opinions of it.  Supposedly has a flawless sensor like the other DA models with a muted look.  Any of the DAs wound like a good fit for you, but ultimately it's up to you to choose which mouse you want to play with. :)
QuanticGaming.com

Offline 1337llama

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 23:41:01 »
I like the g400. I got one recently to replace my mx 518. It's simple, comfortable, works well, and is decently priced.

Offline Shinx

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 02:13:02 »
Is the black edition the same as the 3.5G? If so I'll totes get that one!

Offline therecorder

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 09:11:46 »
Black Edition is only different in cosmetics, and has the top and sides covered with a thin rubber coat (which the regular DA does not have on the sides).  If you can do without the lighting, get it.

Offline DONTBROMEBRO

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 01:15:00 »
First post and long time lurker.  I wish people would just stop with the Abyssus for finger tip.  It is actually bad if you use your mouse a certain way.  If all you care about is weight...then O.K. Abyssus is light.  That's where it ends.  I got burned by this thing and don't want others to.

The shape is bad for finger tip:

-Angular sides feel awkward to grip with fingers
-A bit too long for finger tip.
-Possibly too wide for smaller hands
-Reach for the mouse wheel and again the back digs into your palm
-Definitely too high.
-Worst of all: All of the mouse height is at the very rear of the mouse.

Even after I mutilated my Abyssus and voided it's warranty I still couldn't get it to work for finger tip grip.  I cut off a lot of length and still had issues with it.  There are some gamers that finger tip and move entire arm: BUT when it's time to go super-accurate they use just their fingers to move the mouse.  I do this most of the time when I'm sniping or making tiny adjustements with automatic weapons on the fly.

If you don't get it then try this:
-Put the heel of your wrist on the mat...don't move it.
-Thumb on the side and ring finger on the other.
-Curl your thumb and your ring finger to make small movements.

Try this and you will see your big mouse or your awkward shape mouse (Abyssus) has a super limited range of movement especially if you reach for the mouse wheel.

I don't do this all the time and I'm not saying this is the best and I'm not saying this is what all finger tip does.  I'm just saying this is how I sometimes move for very small adjustments in a finger tip grip and Abyssus was fantastically bad for this kind of movement.  I feel like some of these suggestions are the same kind of thing that you will find listed in Amazon or Newegg reviews.  It's those reviews that lead me to make a bad decision on buying the Abyssus.  We should be more discerning.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 01:32:37 »
funny name, great post. i agree with most of the points above. i fingertipped an abyssus for about a year, but gave it up recently when g9x's dropped in price a little. overall, i think the g9x is a better fingertip mouse by far. the abyssus isn't unworkable, but i only noticed the height of the rear of the abyssus after i got rid of it. for smaller hands, i'd definitely recommend it more for claw use than fingertip.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline DONTBROMEBRO

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 01:53:40 »
I've heard good things about the g9x just not ready to drop cash on it.  It might help to know that before the Abyssus I was used to the old Logitech Mini Optical or LMO.  An old and now discontinued - very basic mouse that's small.  I got the Zowie Mico now that is almost exactly the same size and shape as the LMO.

Translated: probably too small for most people.

Possibly problems with the sensor but it hasn't affected my game.

Edit: I should rephrase: I read it once somewhere that it skips pixels at 1600 DPI.  I have not tested this yet.  Sensor is certainly still better than my old LMO, but I'm a bit biased toward this mouse because it's almost an exact copy of the LMO which is the size and shape that works best for me.

Offline tukkez

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 01:58:27 »
I prefer my Zowie EC1 to g400 mx518 g5 DA roccat kone, ie 1.1

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 02:05:30 »
My mouse experience is minimal, although I had a sidewinder X5 I then upgraded to a G9X.
The G9X is SO much better, You can't compare the two.

Offline All The Fire

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 04:38:51 »
Pffft, I use to fingertip with the MX518, that was uncomfortable.