Author Topic: [GB] Custom CNC Aluminum Cases for Cooler Master TKL boards (SHIPPED)  (Read 139678 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Note: Ordering closed Nov. 21, 2016 at midnight PST. Our order is now at the factory, and we can expect a 1-2 month lead time. I'll keep everyone posted as we go. For those who missed out, you can join this mailing list in case there is another run.

After more than a year of R&D, prototyping, feedback from other GH members, and IC discussion, I'm delighted to announce that I've just launched a group buy for custom CNC aluminum cases for CoolerMaster Novatouch, Rapid-i, and Masterkeys TKL boards (and only those).

To facilitate the ordering, payments, and fulfillment process, I've set up an online shop.

Tons of relevant info can be found at the above link, but here are the key bits:
  • Price is $200 for the gray and black anodized models. Upgrades of risers and custom color (Pantone match) available.
  • Shipping to USA is $14, $35 to Canada, and $45 elsewhere outside the US (expensive, I know, but I'm at the mercy of USPS and am actually offering a $10-20 price break to international buyers by charging less to ship abroad than it costs me in postage).
  • Shipping target is January or before
  • If the survey data are indicative, we should be able to hit the MOQ without any problem
  • I'll be handling fulfillment myself, shipping from here in California

I know firsthand that it can seem risky to join a group buy, but for whatever it's worth, I've worked successfully in the past with both Signature Plastics and MassDrop to bring the Galaxy Class keyset, which I designed, to hundreds of community members. I'm also totally visible online and in the real world, doing this all under my own real name. I'm not new to manufacturing or consumer products either; I recently produced a popular high-end officially licensed Star Trek prop replica, for example, which not only has been selling well to satisfied customers but was even mentioned, of all things, in GQ Magazine. :) In short: I have some experience getting stuff made.

At any rate, I want us all to get some awesome cases as much as anyone else, and I'm taking on (what feels to me anyway) like a sizable risk in order to get these to everyone a decent price in a reasonable timeframe. So I hope everyone will bear with me through this process (it may occasionally take me a day or two to reply to emails and posts) and understand that this is a team effort to help us all get something cool. I'm committed to keeping everyone updated at every step in the process.

Doing stuff like this may sometimes be stressful, but it's also a lot of fun for me, so your support is enormously appreciated. :) Now, let's make something happen that would never have been made otherwise!

—Ryan

« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2017, 11:00:34 by norbauer »

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Re: [GB] Custom CNC Aluminum Cases for CoolerMaster TKL boards (TAKING ORDERS)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 00:36:24 »
How crazy can you get with the color? Pantone 389C possible?
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline norbauer

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 01:07:50 »
How crazy can you get with the color? Pantone 389C possible?

389C should be no problem at all, but I might recommend powder over anodizing for that color. In my experience, the shop usually gets very close with Pantone matches, but there is always a chance it might be closer to one of the neighboring swatches rather than hitting it spot on. They usually get very close in the general neighborhood though. (One-off color matching with powder can be tricky, and even more so with anodizing.)

For those who want to order a custom color, please just put the requested color and process (powder vs ano) in the order notes when checking out. If for some reason Shopify doesn't present you with such a field on checkout, just send me an email and I'll take care of it. :)

Offline FSund

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 01:19:21 »
Are you willing to declare a lowered value of the package when shipping overseas? Everything with a declared value above ~35$ gets taxed 25% in Norway, and I would like to avoid that if possible.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 01:20:38 »
Great options and fair prices!  Now if I can just pick a color!!!

I have a request.  Is there any way you could get a close up photo of white version that shows the beveled corner, like you did with the anodized?  I just want to see how sharp the seam and corners are with the power coating. 

Offline codywanks

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 01:24:16 »
Are you willing to declare a lowered value of the package when shipping overseas? Everything with a declared value above ~35$ gets taxed 25% in Norway, and I would like to avoid that if possible.

From the IC thread:

Concerning taxes, I'm going to list these at a value of around $45 when I ship internationally rather than the price paid. I think this is totally legit because the only reason these cost so much is that they're being made in a very small volume as effectively custom pieces, so we're really paying most of that money for professional and machining services. If you look at the cost of materials and what these would cost if they were made at large scale as normal consumer products, I think $45 is a totally valid and defensible amount to list for customs purposes. I think this will keep us out of trouble (versus listing these as "gifts" with a value of $1 or something), but without folks having to pay needlessly exorbitant import duties.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 01:39:36 »
Great options and fair prices!  Now if I can just pick a color!!!

I have a request.  Is there any way you could get a close up photo of white version that shows the beveled corner, like you did with the anodized?  I just want to see how sharp the seam and corners are with the power coating.

Pics of that particular case won't necessarily be indicative, as that prototype was made by a different firm than the one making the production cases. I am, however, getting another powder test case, arriving later this week, from the firm doing the production cases and will be happy to take a photo of the corner on that one.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 01:45:44 »
Woohoo! Finally! Order submitted.

Offline fatbuffalo

• SQFT
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 01:50:14 »
Does this support ducky g2pro tkl?

Offline K

• stop trying to reset my password... use a VPN
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 02:31:16 »
Nice i'm in for this been waiting too long for this to not get it now :thumb:
Shipping did make me cry though non american pain :'(
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2016, 02:33:16 by K »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 02:48:21 »

Alas, no.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 02:49:22 »
Nice i'm in for this been waiting too long for this to not get it now :thumb:
Shipping did make me cry though non american pain :'(

I've ordered plenty of keyboard stuff to the USA from Korea and Japan, so I feel your pain. =\

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 03:10:15 »
$45 elsewhere outside the US (expensive, I know, but I'm at the mercy of USPS and am actually offering a $10-20 price break to international buyers by charging less to ship abroad than it costs me in postage)
Thank you, that's very kind!

I am still undecided about the color. Would it be possible to get a photo with all three black, gray and white cases on there? With white and black as a reference point, it should make it easier to assess the "grayness" of the gray case.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2016, 03:12:28 by fax668 »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 03:29:25 »
$45 elsewhere outside the US (expensive, I know, but I'm at the mercy of USPS and am actually offering a $10-20 price break to international buyers by charging less to ship abroad than it costs me in postage)
Thank you, that's very kind!

I am still undecided about the color. Would it be possible to get a photo with all three black, gray and white cases on there? With white and black as a reference point, it should make it easier to assess the "grayness" of the gray case.

I actually no longer have the white sample case, but I can shoot the two gray and black cases on a white background if that would be helpful.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 03:31:05 »
If there is someone in Germany with the first name Richard who made an order, please contact me via PM. The email address you used is bouncing.

Offline Saviant

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 03:50:01 »
Thanks for the GB, placed an order for one, might also have a friend getting one aswell.

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 03:52:06 »
I actually no longer have the white sample case, but I can shoot the two gray and black cases on a white background if that would be helpful.
Sounds good, thanks again!

The custom color option is tempting of course. Anybody got an idea what color code for anodizing would come close to what Apple is using on its MacBooks?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 03:57:30 »
The custom color option is tempting of course. Anybody got an idea what color code for anodizing would come close to what Apple is using on its MacBooks?

That's easy: clear anodizing. This forms a protective oxide layer over the surface but is fundamentally the same color as aluminum, as it introduces no dye into the metal pores.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2016, 04:00:15 by norbauer »

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 04:14:01 »
Damn kinda wish I had a novatouch now! Thought of making Realforce ones? There aren't many digilog ones around and they not the best design anyway.  Best of luck with this project.

Offline FSund

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 04:17:18 »
Lovely! Just placed an order.

Would be very interested to see how many orders come through in the next couple of days.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline norbauer

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 04:24:23 »
Damn kinda wish I had a novatouch now! Thought of making Realforce ones? There aren't many digilog ones around and they not the best design anyway.  Best of luck with this project.

I was actually just about to PM you about this, but I totally agree with that and may very well tackle RealForce cases next if this group buy turns out not to have been too much work. ;)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 04:28:43 »
Lovely! Just placed an order.

Would be very interested to see how many orders come through in the next couple of days.

It has only been up for a couple of hours now (at the time when most people in the US are asleep) and 10 orders have been placed. MOQ is 25, so we should be all set on that. I honestly just hope we don't sell too many so packing and shipping these things doesn't become a full time job for me for a few weeks. ;) But I guess if it comes to that I can always recruit/pay a buddy to help in order to get them out the door more quickly.

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 05:38:36 »
What Pantone color is the "Warm Grey" option already available?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 06:46:59 »
Is a silver option possible? I know it probably isn't exactly a pant one color, just wondering haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DribbelDog

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 07:14:10 »
Long time lurker regarding your IC thread here. Thought it was about time to post something now that your group buy is up.

I appreciate all the effort that went into this project. The production samples thus far look fantastic. Just placed my order, went for the warm gray option. Briefly considered the custom color option, but I think the warm gray will look great with the DSA Dolch set I plan on using it with. The Novatouch is my primary keyboard at work; I love it in general but that cheap plastic case gets disgusting so easily...

If you ever consider doing a case for the Realforce (TKL), I'll buy it in a heartbeat. Just so you know.

Offline McPwned

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 07:18:15 »
Waiting patiently for news on the Enigma Black sub-buy.

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 07:24:02 »
Does a Phantom TKL PCB also fit inside this case?

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 07:35:18 »

Pretty sure Tex's TKL aluminum case will fit the G2 Pro. It has a dipswitch hole that doesn't align to anything on the other supported boards, except the ducky.

It's quite a nice case; I have it on my Filco.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 08:50:39 »
Wasn't too happy with the volume level of the typing sound test I posted in the IC thread, so here's another one:

The Novatouch has been silenced with Hypersphere rings. Keycaps are Originative Carbon Black ABS.

The case, obviously, is a prototype from this GB.

Offline Mike89914

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 09:05:54 »
Ordered one.  Thanks!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 09:22:10 »
Wouldn't this look amazing in a dark navy or brown??  Oh man, I was sure I wanted white, but the custom color option has my brain spinning.

Anyone know of a good resource for finding pantone colors for metallic/aluminum finish?  I have Photoshop and a professional monitor for better color accuracy, but I'm not sure which pantone library to load.

I found this tool online http://rgb.to/pantone  that is pretty cool, but I'm not sure whether we should be looking at coated or uncoated or metallic or what.  And I assume it will be different with powder vs anodized. What colors can be anodized and what colors have to be a powder coat? I'm completely unfamiliar with this process, so any feedback is welcome.   
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2016, 10:01:49 by reececonrad »

Offline vatne

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 09:33:58 »
I'm another lurker from the IC thread. Fantastic to see the option for custom powder coating - did not expect that!
Would you mind posting the physical dimensions of the case? Mainly interested in how tall the front is compared to the stock case.

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 10:26:35 »
Very nicely made website.

Would there be an option for local pickup?  I remember reading you're from SF.

Offline consolelog

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 10:52:37 »
Just ordered one! Thanks for doing this again!

+1 on your thoughts for clear anodizing (silver), or if that would be considered a custom color.

Offline ErgoSloth

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 12:49:01 »
Just ordered mine too! Warm gray, should compliment well the DSA Quartz set I'll be ordering soon  :D

Now I just need to get Hypersphere rings and a micro to make it programmable and my Nova will have reached her endgame  :))

Thank you Norbauer for making this possible and for taking all the time you needed to make the case as good as it could be.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 13:21:58 »
Love that there are color options!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 15:53:10 »

Local pickup is totally fine—always happy to meet fellow keyboard nerds in person. :) I'm in Redwood City down in Silicon Valley.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 15:54:13 »
Thank you Norbauer for making this possible and for taking all the time you needed to make the case as good as it could be.

My pleasure. I appreciate everyone bearing with me through my protracted perfectionism. ;)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 16:01:12 »
Anyone know of a good resource for finding pantone colors for metallic/aluminum finish?  I have Photoshop and a professional monitor for better color accuracy, but I'm not sure which pantone library to load.

Honestly, Pantone matches on monitors tend to be pretty awful, so in absence of physical chips, I would recommend finding a color that seems close to the color you want and then doing a Google image search for "Pantone" and that number so you can see objects of that color in different lighting environments. The success of this varies, however, based on how popular that particular Pantone number is in the real world. If you want to describe verbally the color you want, I can also try to give you a Pantone number that I think would work well for that.

Also bear in mind that on anodizing especially, the color match isn't going to be very precise, since the color is essentially translucent and will combine with the underlying silver color of the aluminum in not entirely predictable ways. You can only sort of get into a "color neighborhood" with anodizing, and usually more in the area of primary colors with a strong metallic cast.

This image should give you a sense of what type of colors are possible.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 16:03:01 »
+1 on your thoughts for clear anodizing (silver), or if that would be considered a custom color.

Clear would have to be considered a custom color, as the shop charges me a (quite expensive) dye-lot fee for every new color added. The added price for custom colors just goes to cover that. And it's the reason I can only offer a few colors as part of the normal group buy.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 16:04:52 »
Is a silver option possible? I know it probably isn't exactly a pant one color, just wondering haha

Yes; just checkout as a custom color and order "clear anodizing."

Offline norbauer

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 16:06:17 »
What Pantone color is the "Warm Grey" option already available?

I used 409U as the reference color, but bear in mind all my caveats mentioned above about Pantone color matches on anodizing.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 16:19:00 »
Waiting patiently for news on the Enigma Black sub-buy.

If anybody is particularly keen on on a case in Enigma Black (wrinkle coat), my recommendation is actually to buy a custom color as part of this group buy and put in "Enigma black" as your color of choice in the "special instructions for seller" field of the cart.

The only caveat on that is it'll take me around a month longer to deliver those, as I'll have to get them powder coated here locally in the SF area. What I'll essentially do is order a case for you as part of this group buy without any pigment finishing and then drive it over to a powder coat place here locally. A bit unsophisticated, but it should work, and my sense is that it'll cost about what the add-on fee is for the custom color (hopefully). Sorry for the extra cost on these. I tried to get the factory to do wrinkle coat, but they consider this a specialty finish that is beyond their scope of expertise.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 16:27:51 »
I'm another lurker from the IC thread. Fantastic to see the option for custom powder coating - did not expect that!
Would you mind posting the physical dimensions of the case? Mainly interested in how tall the front is compared to the stock case.

Overall height is 24.8mm. Just LMK if you need any others. :)

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 16:31:28 »

Local pickup is totally fine—always happy to meet fellow keyboard nerds in person. :) I'm in Redwood City down in Silicon Valley.

Awesome.  I placed an order earlier.  Would you want me to PM you the order number?  I am assuming I wouldn't be paying shipping charges if I am going the local pickup route.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 16:40:06 »
Thanks so much for putting this together, Norbauer, I appreciate the effort that was dedicated to the project on your side. Wish you the best of luck with the result.

The international shipping is pretty massive but absolutely understandable, the finishes look beautiful and I'm glad you were able to have a custom colour options, I'll try my hardest to get in on one of the powdered white cases before the buy ends!

Offline JDragon

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 16:49:39 »
Trying to figure out what custom color I want - do you think Pantone 295C will result in a nice midnight/navy blue? https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/295-C

Offline arhetue

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 17:15:33 »
In for the warm grey with risers. If the enigma coating is offered, I would like to get this.  :thumb:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 17:37:04 »
Trying to figure out what custom color I want - do you think Pantone 295C will result in a nice midnight/navy blue? https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/295-C

295C is very dark navy (almost black), but it sounds like that is what you're going for. The metallic aluminum showing through from below will lighten that a tad, so yes, I would say that's a good choice if very dark blue is what you're seeking. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2016, 17:38:42 by norbauer »

Offline JDragon

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 18:22:22 »

295C is very dark navy (almost black), but it sounds like that is what you're going for. The metallic aluminum showing through from below will lighten that a tad, so yes, I would say that's a good choice if very dark blue is what you're seeking. :)

Perfect, thanks! Probably placing an order tonight. :D