Author Topic: Does this board have a 'dome with slider' configuration?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline jjpd

Does this board have a 'dome with slider' configuration?
« on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 07:35:57 »
Hello all,

I'm interested in trying the famous BTC dome with slider config after watching a tonne of Chyrosran22's videos.

I've been searching for a cheap tester and wondered if this board (BTC 5197, see pictures) had it?

If not does anyone know of a place I could find a keyboard with the BTC dome with slider configuration that's CHEAP? There are a couple of BTC 5100cs on ebay but they're pretty pricey.

Any help is really appreciated

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: Does this board have a 'dome with slider' configuration?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 08:01:37 »
Are you CONUS? I'm looking at eBay now and there's tons of 5100s for $20-$40.

Offline jjpd

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 08:04:35 »
Sorry, should have mentioned, I live in the UK

Offline envyy24

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 10:09:36 »
I used to recommend this to one of the other desthority fella. I believe this had a great chance of being BTC dome with slider:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Packard-Bell-Mechanical-Keyboard-5140W-Good-Condition/362911969245?hash=item547f3d2fdd:g:3wMAAOSwy9ZeC49I

So as you can see here, it is btc under the name of packard bell. Expand your search by including that, eventually you would encounter one.

From the wiki, it says btc 51 series should be dome with slider. however as the keyboard you are asking here is the very last of the line (5197) Im not very certain .

By the way, i dont see the hype behind btc dome with slider. Yes, when comparing with rubber keyboard, they are better. But when comparing with mechanical switch, especially the cherry family and alps, they feel meh. You bottom out very hard and the key sucks you in. The snappiness of the slider can't save the keyboard from being a rubber dome. That is my experience.

Now I have never tried topre in my life, so I am definite bias. You may like it. Good luck finding a reasonable one.

Offline jjpd

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 10:47:40 »
I've been looking for the Packard Bell ones but not really had any luck in finding any.

Yea I read the wiki, seems like a bit of gamble as this model isn't listed on there.

Cheers for your help