Author Topic: PS/2 Model 'M' - 1995 Lexmark  (Read 1827 times)

Offline ultra24

PS/2 Model 'M' - 1995 Lexmark
« on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 16:17:41 »
Hello:

I'm currently awaiting for dispatch/delivery of a 1995 PS/2 Model M w/attached flat cable with a missing plug
It seems those flat cables were not very sturdy. (yes, I checked the model number, it's PS/2)

Once cleaned up and checked out, the two easiest/least $$$ choices would be:

1. replace the original cable with a new one and use a PS/2 -> USB conversor.
2. crack open the above conversor, hard wire it to the existing controller and wire in a nice USB cable.

But while looking throught the collection of things I have stubbornly refused to throw away, I came across two things which at different times were always in my sack along with the rest of my gear:

1. a PS/2 to serial adaptor
I think it was original issue with the early Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.0 which had a PS/2 plug.

2. a USB Prolific PL2303 Serial Port board
Cannibalised from it's original junction box and hard wired into my Palm III's sync base so as to make it USB instead of serial.

Since my Sun Ultra 24 workstation has an on-board RS232 which at some time in the past I enabled in BIOS and properly set up to use my serial datalogging hardware ...

Code: [Select]
~$ sudo dmesg | grep -i tty
--- snip ---
[1.821872] 00:02: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3, base_baud = 115200) is a 16550A
--- snip ---
~$

... and the PS/2 -> DB9 adaptor has the pinout in the attached pix ...

Would it be possible to wire the PS/2 Model M with a DB9 plug and directly use my workstation's serial port?
ie: snip the PS/2 plug and PS/2 -> USB conversor from the chain. 

Software wise, it would be a question of loading the now blacklisted PS/2 module in my Linux Devuan installation.

Being able to do this would solve the curent draw issue some PS/2 keyboards have also free a USB port.

I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance,

U24
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 May 2021, 16:30:01 by ultra24 »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Re: PS/2 Model 'M' - 1995 Lexmark
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 11:42:26 »
Hello:

I'm currently awaiting for dispatch/delivery of a 1995 PS/2 Model M w/attached flat cable with a missing plug
It seems those flat cables were not very sturdy. (yes, I checked the model number, it's PS/2)

Once cleaned up and checked out, the two easiest/least $$$ choices would be:

1. replace the original cable with a new one and use a PS/2 -> USB conversor.
2. crack open the above conversor, hard wire it to the existing controller and wire in a nice USB cable.

But while looking throught the collection of things I have stubbornly refused to throw away, I came across two things which at different times were always in my sack along with the rest of my gear:

1. a PS/2 to serial adaptor
I think it was original issue with the early Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.0 which had a PS/2 plug.

2. a USB Prolific PL2303 Serial Port board
Cannibalised from it's original junction box and hard wired into my Palm III's sync base so as to make it USB instead of serial.

Since my Sun Ultra 24 workstation has an on-board RS232 which at some time in the past I enabled in BIOS and properly set up to use my serial datalogging hardware ...

Code: [Select]
~$ sudo dmesg | grep -i tty
--- snip ---
[1.821872] 00:02: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3, base_baud = 115200) is a 16550A
--- snip ---
~$

... and the PS/2 -> DB9 adaptor has the pinout in the attached pix ...

Would it be possible to wire the PS/2 Model M with a DB9 plug and directly use my workstation's serial port?
ie: snip the PS/2 plug and PS/2 -> USB conversor from the chain. 

Software wise, it would be a question of loading the now blacklisted PS/2 module in my Linux Devuan installation.

Being able to do this would solve the curent draw issue some PS/2 keyboards have also free a USB port.

I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance,

U24
Are you using the RS-232 for Terminal Protocol for ASCII? The only thing I can see working is for a terminal application. Otherwise just keep the PS/2 or use a USB to PS/2 adapter.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 May 2021, 11:46:33 by Snowdog993 »

Offline ultra24

Re: PS/2 Model 'M' - 1995 Lexmark
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 20:54:20 »
Hello:

Sorry for the delay.
Didn't get the message notification.

... using the RS-232 for Terminal Protocol for ASCII?
No.
I use it for uploading data from my serial dataloggers.

... see working is for a terminal application.
... keep the PS/2 or use a USB to PS/2 adapter.

I have since learned that the PS/2 -> RS-232 adapter works only for MS mice which had both protocols enabled.
So it would not work with a PS/2 keyboard.

I have not closed the deal on the kb yet. 8^/
When I get it and after testing to see if the PS/2 --> USB converter works properly, I'll probably hard wire it inside the kb case.
Jury is still out on the possibility of a female USB-B socket for a detachable cable.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Best,

U24