Author Topic: Gmmk pro….  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Error213

Gmmk pro….
« on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 09:59:28 »
So I got the gmmk pro and it will be arriving soon, I’ve done a lot of looking for stabilizer mods to make them sound the best and I have lubed all of my switches (gateron ink blacks) in advance. However I have seen the gmmk pro getting some flack for just having a bad overall gasket mount system, terrible stock foam, and poorly sized plates, I wanna make sure that my gmmk pro will sound the best it possibly can so what are some mods for the case I can do, I have an alu plate btw

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Gmmk pro….
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 11:55:48 »
The poor mounting system is for sure true, you will pretty much have to do most normal "sound mounds". L+F, Pack it with foam, what not. Ain't much you can do about a poor board

Offline Error213

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 09:31:57 »
The poor mounting system is for sure true, you will pretty much have to do most normal "sound mounds". L+F, Pack it with foam, what not. Ain't much you can do about a poor board
huh so out of curiosity if I holee mod the stabs and lube them, l+f my ink blacks and pack it with tons of toolbox liner it will still sound bad?

Offline mrvco

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 18:56:15 »
There are plenty of Youtubers reviewing multiple configurations.  Check out Glarses GMMK Pro review reaction video.

Offline Ryohka

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 23:52:45 »
huh so out of curiosity if I holee mod the stabs and lube them, l+f my ink blacks and pack it with tons of toolbox liner it will still sound bad?

I also ordered it but still waiting...
Based on all discord discussion, I will say after modding it will sound better, maybe much better than stock, but not as good as a high end board. While if you consider the price...it's not bad for that price point.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 00:22:47 »
It'll sound better, but ain't much you can do bout a bound sounding board

Offline MicroPepega

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 09:49:40 »
Honestly i don't think you should condemn the board as sounding bad until you've tried it out, especially since you've already ordered it.

Besides, even if you end up *personally* disliking the sound, you can still change a lot by just changing the switches.

Offline keebees

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 20:00:42 »
So I got the gmmk pro and it will be arriving soon, I’ve done a lot of looking for stabilizer mods to make them sound the best and I have lubed all of my switches (gateron ink blacks) in advance. However I have seen the gmmk pro getting some flack for just having a bad overall gasket mount system, terrible stock foam, and poorly sized plates, I wanna make sure that my gmmk pro will sound the best it possibly can so what are some mods for the case I can do, I have an alu plate btw

The board sounds pretty muted all around. I have the alu plate too, but I don't think brass nor poly will really change much with it all screwed tightly together. Thocks are hard to achieve here, but you can make make it a rather quiet board which is unheard of in the gaming keyboard space (though the "G.O.A.T." stabs have gotta go as the only star award they can win is "better than costar"). Some things I've tried which help sound a bit is removing the back foam for a bit more sound and loosening up the PCB/plate by leaving out a few screws. However pulling the screws also makes the sound pretty inconsistent. So yeah given all that, I don't think its a bad sounding board per se, just very muted. My biggest beef with the board out of all its somewhat minor issues (faux gasket mount, poor fitment of 3rd party stabs, weak side LEDs, etc) is the firmware/software support. GMMK Core is terrible even compared to its already bloated gaming keyboard software peers, and QMK support is woefully undeveloped. And looking at Github and considering that new boards won't have the same MCU, I will be very pleasantly surprised if QMK receives any further updates. I also think this is the first time I've dealt with a keyboard that crashes once in awhile (while running QMK).

Anyway, I went on a long tangent. But good luck with the board, and keep us updated on any successful tweaks.

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 04:52:27 »
How is it going, are you enjoying the keyboard?