Author Topic: New mod/Old mod?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Lanx

New mod/Old mod?
« on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 15:51:49 »
I "think" i might finally have free time sometime this year end of sep to either
1. finish my v2 mod http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:12439&do=comments
2. work on a new mod i've had in the back of my mind

1. well i might have to scrap some things, in order to make this mod work, like the newly proposed "gaming" thumb switches and even possibily the g15 macro abilities, i think i shorted out out the macro wires =P
2. realforce mod, now i've never been a fan of realforce, but i can't say that cuz i've never used it (but i still call it rubber dome) however i cannot deny their extreme cult following on GH, so i'm looking at the 108udk/ or 106s model, now if ppl know models off the top of their heads for some reason it's the uniform 30g. Yup if i'm gonna get a realforce it's gonna be a 30g super light touch.
a. now i'm not even gonna plug it for more than 5minutes to "feel" how it works i'm gonna start modding, of by modding i mean another microsoft ergo 4k transplant, i'd buy another microsoft ergo 4k (i actually have none in my closet) do the basic "hollowing" out as i've done in the past then i'd take the realforce and cut that baby up.
I'd be a bit more realistic, i'd just want a working realforce into a tenkeyless msergo 4k, so no fancy macro's/foot pedals/g15 screens.
it will be matrix, and i think i have a way to make it matrix... even tho the only matrix version to use will be the numpad.

so what do you guys think? for the realforce modding, i think i'll either use a teensy or just find another g15(since i already decoded the matrix, that's less work to do) it'll have some putty work and spray work, but that's about it.

the investment of the 108udk along will be around shy of under 400 from that geek4u place (unless someone knows of any better?), i might really just finish my v2 mod since then i'll beat out truely ergonomic lol, but i've really wanted to try out a realforce for a while (and only the 30g, no variable or 45g for me)

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
New mod/Old mod?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 15:53:29 »
I don't know how you'd make it into a matrix, I'd think you'd have to keep the original PCB and Controller, because Topre is capacitive, after all!

Offline Lanx

New mod/Old mod?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 15:58:35 »
well having looked at all the topre wiki's on here, it really seems that it breaks down like this
casing ->rubber->spring->board
the casing holds the rubber and underneath the rubber is the spring
from looking at all the topre pics to me it just seems like the spring completes the circuit on the board when it is depressed, and that's what i'll do, i'll make a new pcb board with and open circuit waiting for the spring to be pressed to complete the circuit and have a "letter" typed out.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
New mod/Old mod?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 20:09:36 »
OHHH! Complete that ergo-whatevermabober mod! That looked INSANE!

Offline Lanx

New mod/Old mod?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 22:23:40 »
Quote from: SmallFry;405208
OHHH! Complete that ergo-whatevermabober mod! That looked INSANE!

yea i just looked over my "project box" basically where i stashed everything, i'm glad i kept good notes for once, i think if i do this one (which i really should do really) i can pick off where i left off even after almost a year.