Author Topic: It's in the mail...  (Read 2283011 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: It's in the mail...
« Reply #11900 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 14:54:10 »

Do you think i can plug in my keeb? No!

Rest in peace, dear Sintpinty.

time to get a new job

I feel like this should be something stipulated in job listings, like all other requirements.

"You must accept the use of garbage keyboards in the workplace."

There are mechanicals that can get really close to rubber domes in noise though, sometimes even quieter I think. Chyros has at least one good video with comparisons.

I don't work at an office job and my job doesn't require a keyboard, i'm talking about school

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11901 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 15:08:06 »
I don't work at an office job and my job doesn't require a keyboard, i'm talking about school

You've mentioned as much in other threads I believe. I think this comment chain originally came from the fact that poor jacethesaltsculptor can't use his buckling spring keyboards at work. I can't say that even I would lug around a mechanical keyboard for school purposes. MSI did make a laptop with a mechanical keyboard though. Not sure if anybody else has in recent times.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #11902 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 11:24:02 »
Poor jacethesaltsculptor :(
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #11903 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 13:16:48 »
Is there a particular reason that you're using a rubber dome at work? Noise? I know your coworkers can't stomach the mighty buckling spring, but you would think they would at least be ok with some linears or something. Some of the older Lenovo rubber domes aren't half bad at least. I think I have one with a fingerprint reader somewhere.

I'm almost considering maybe buying an extra F77 case or two from Ellipse to build my first custom keyboard in, with some box jades, maybe even blue alps. I don't know of any other case in production today that you could probably run over with an 18 wheeler and it would shrug it off.

Difficult co-workers mainly, my last keyboard caused such a fuss, I wish to wait at least a few months before trying again, notably my supervisor uses cherry reds at work, but he has a private office with a door almost always open so I'm not sure. (I thought about silent reds and blacks, but the mushiness murders those for me.)

The plan however is to eventually bring something else to the office, perhaps an older Battlecruiser like an Ortek with their alps and see how they go.

If you got an F77 case for jades or Navies, that'd be one of the coolest possible looking keyboards, I just love that huge tank like look. But truthfully, you could use them in the construction of the foundation of your house, and they'd outlive the foundation itself.

Do you think i can plug in my keeb? No!

Rest in peace, dear Sintpinty.

time to get a new job

I feel like this should be something stipulated in job listings, like all other requirements.

"You must accept the use of garbage keyboards in the workplace."

There are mechanicals that can get really close to rubber domes in noise though, sometimes even quieter I think. Chyros has at least one good video with comparisons.

If only we could be so lucky, that they'd spare us that. I have a possible promotion coming up in the coming months. (Not that I'm holding my breath as my organization is tiny, and moving up is REALLY rare and hard, not that I'm dissatisfied with where I am either.) That would give me a private office, so it's not the darkest possibility.

Chyros actually is who got me looking into alternatives, though honestly, if I get an office, it'll just be an IBM. Perhaps an older one with a Solenoid (Wait until my next post. :D ) to make up for lost time.  :'(

Poor jacethesaltsculptor :(

Do not mourn for me, A plan is in place, these poor quality keyboards will not be the death of me, There WILL be a mechanical keyboard on my desk in time.

So, returning this post to it's roots:

I've got this guy in the mail:
234351-0
And IBM Model F 3178 (With Blue Switch)

I wanted it because it's a cool looking and quite rare board, I've not seen hardly any for sale online in the entire time I've been in the hobby, and then I learned something AMAZING about it.

It has a Solenoid in it, and properly adapted, much like an Old 5251, you can adapt it and the solenoid so you get that lovely bump sound.

I'm beyond hyped for it.

I'll be sure to do a good photoshoot of it, after I get it and clean it.

(I need to stop buying keyboards.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 January 2020, 17:28:50 by iamtootallforthis »

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline igavya

« Reply #11904 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 18:14:06 »
So, this morning my dad went to the flea market in Valencia (Spain), because he knows lately I've been interested in building custom keyboards and that stuff. There's this guy over there who sells vintage tech stuff that he gets from dumps and also emptying and cleaning up old houses and office complexes and those kinda things. I got a text from him saying he had found something interesting, and managed to get a keyboard-looking, bulky thing for 3€, but it had a missing keycap. I told him to send me a pic and when i saw they were vintage Cherry MX Blacks... Basically I flipped out. 3€. Obviously as soon as he brought it home, I confirmed it was a SAYAG keyboard with Cherry Blacks. There are 69 switches in total, and the spacebar switch had a gray stem. Desoldered and disassembled the switches for cleaning and lubing. Saved the keycaps too. Any ideas of what to do with them? Here are some pics of today:

Today was a good day.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #11905 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 18:49:44 »
So, this morning my dad went to the flea market in Valencia (Spain), because he knows lately I've been interested in building custom keyboards and that stuff. There's this guy over there who sells vintage tech stuff that he gets from dumps and also emptying and cleaning up old houses and office complexes and those kinda things. I got a text from him saying he had found something interesting, and managed to get a keyboard-looking, bulky thing for 3€, but it had a missing keycap. I told him to send me a pic and when i saw they were vintage Cherry MX Blacks... Basically I flipped out. 3€. Obviously as soon as he brought it home, I confirmed it was a SAYAG keyboard with Cherry Blacks. There are 69 switches in total, and the spacebar switch had a gray stem. Desoldered and disassembled the switches for cleaning and lubing. Saved the keycaps too. Any ideas of what to do with them? Here are some pics of today:

Today was a good day.

You do realize you've used up a years worth of luck for this right?

many many people would KILL to be you.

I've always wanted to go to a Flea market, or antique/thrift store in Europe, I'd imagine the stuff there would be amazing compared to the United States.

still congrats on the awesome find.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #11906 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 20:56:18 »
Nice find. In America, you'd be hard pressed for luck to find one of these things. Almost everyone either recycles their stuff, or puts it on Ebay. :)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11907 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 21:21:24 »
Difficult co-workers mainly, my last keyboard caused such a fuss, I wish to wait at least a few months before trying again, notably my supervisor uses cherry reds at work, but he has a private office with a door almost always open so I'm not sure. (I thought about silent reds and blacks, but the mushiness murders those for me.)

The plan however is to eventually bring something else to the office, perhaps an older Battlecruiser like an Ortek with their alps and see how they go.

If you got an F77 case for jades or Navies, that'd be one of the coolest possible looking keyboards, I just love that huge tank like look. But truthfully, you could use them in the construction of the foundation of your house, and they'd outlive the foundation itself.

An Ortek would be really cool to have at work, for sure.

I do think that an F77 with jades or navies would be fantastic, but maybe it would even make sense to hold out until custom Silo switch pcbs, not that I need any more keyboards anyway.

If only we could be so lucky, that they'd spare us that. I have a possible promotion coming up in the coming months. (Not that I'm holding my breath as my organization is tiny, and moving up is REALLY rare and hard, not that I'm dissatisfied with where I am either.) That would give me a private office, so it's not the darkest possibility.

Chyros actually is who got me looking into alternatives, though honestly, if I get an office, it'll just be an IBM. Perhaps an older one with a Solenoid (Wait until my next post. :D ) to make up for lost time.  :'(

Good luck with the promotion. I love the idea of a solenoid, but I do wonder if it will get grating eventually. I'll find out as I imagine I'll put one in the F77 at some point, for kicks and giggles.

Do not mourn for me, A plan is in place, these poor quality keyboards will not be the death of me, There WILL be a mechanical keyboard on my desk in time.

So, returning this post to it's roots:

I've got this guy in the mail:
(Attachment Link)
And IBM Model F 3178 (With Blue Switch)

I wanted it because it's a cool looking and quite rare board, I've not seen hardly any for sale online in the entire time I've been in the hobby, and then I learned something AMAZING about it.

It has a Solenoid in it, and properly adapted, much like an Old 5251, you can adapt it and the solenoid so you get that lovely bump sound.

I'm beyond hyped for it.

I'll be sure to do a good photoshoot of it, after I get it and clean it.

(I need to stop buying keyboards.)

That keyboard is awesome. You just keep rolling with the scores lately. Still not so sure I would want to try to adjust to that layout myself.

Cool keyboard you scored there, igavya. Does that thing even interface with a computer, or is it more of a standalone word processor? What sort of caps are they?

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #11908 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 22:06:48 »

I do think that an F77 with jades or navies would be fantastic, but maybe it would even make sense to hold out until custom Silo switch pcbs, not that I need any more keyboards anyway.

Good luck with the promotion. I love the idea of a solenoid, but I do wonder if it will get grating eventually. I'll find out as I imagine I'll put one in the F77 at some point, for kicks and giggles.

That keyboard is awesome. You just keep rolling with the scores lately. Still not so sure I would want to try to adjust to that layout myself.

Cool keyboard you scored there, igavya. Does that thing even interface with a computer, or is it more of a standalone word processor? What sort of caps are they?

Man, you had to go and remind me of the Silo's. I can't wait until those are out, I really want to feel them. A more mainstream buckling spring alternative would be a killer thing.

I just went and read up on them again, everytime I read about them, I'm more impressed, though much like the new Reproduction F's, I want to see reviews first.

---

I hope for a promotion too, but I'm not hung up on it, the solenoid is more just for laughs if I ever did that in an office, I will look forward to the 3178 F at home however that has it and will probably turn it on from time to time.  ;)

---

It's cool, and it cost 150, that I probably shouldn't have spent. Man I talked up a big game in the "What did you spend on this hobby thread" and here I am buying more and more keyboards.

I could rationalize it as: I have lots of computers that need keyboard upgrades, but now I'm just collecting because it's neat.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11909 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 22:24:20 »
Man, you had to go and remind me of the Silo's. I can't wait until those are out, I really want to feel them. A more mainstream buckling spring alternative would be a killer thing.

I just went and read up on them again, everytime I read about them, I'm more impressed, though much like the new Reproduction F's, I want to see reviews first.

---

I hope for a promotion too, but I'm not hung up on it, the solenoid is more just for laughs if I ever did that in an office, I will look forward to the 3178 F at home however that has it and will probably turn it on from time to time.  ;)

---

It's cool, and it cost 150, that I probably shouldn't have spent. Man I talked up a big game in the "What did you spend on this hobby thread" and here I am buying more and more keyboards.

I could rationalize it as: I have lots of computers that need keyboard upgrades, but now I'm just collecting because it's neat.

I can't stop thinking about Silos, so of course I had to remind you about them. lol

I have used an F AT in a room with a garage door of sorts, with a counter at waist height, and a wide open door connecting to a school library, for months at a time. Now I'm using box navies on a really pingy plate both there and at a desk directly in another library. Nobody has seemed to mind yet, somehow.

Investments, man. Investments. We pick up enough weird old boards that age like a fine wine. Their values have only got one direction to go over time.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #11910 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 22:29:05 »
I can't stop thinking about Silos, so of course I had to remind you about them. lol

I have used an F AT in a room with a garage door of sorts, with a counter at waist height, and a wide open door connecting to a school library, for months at a time. Now I'm using box navies on a really pingy plate both there and at a desk directly in another library. Nobody has seemed to mind yet, somehow.

Investments, man. Investments. We pick up enough weird old boards that age like a fine wine. Their values have only got one direction to go over time.

I can see why, the design is really cool, forward looking, and has so much to recommend it. I also love how eminently hot swappable they are.

:eek: I have no idea how you get away with that. I want to work with the people you work with, not mine, because at least I'd still have my keyboard at work.

yeah! Investments! that's totally what these are.  :'(

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11911 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 22:59:34 »
I can see why, the design is really cool, forward looking, and has so much to recommend it. I also love how eminently hot swappable they are.

:eek: I have no idea how you get away with that. I want to work with the people you work with, not mine, because at least I'd still have my keyboard at work.

Yeah, they put a lot of thought into Silos. The hot swappable part almost makes you want to get one of their boards the moment they come out and try out every single flavor of switch as they release, but that board looks way too boring/ordinary to me.

The students all seem to like the novelty of the weird old boards I use from time to time, so do some staff. It has started quite a few interesting conversations from people reminiscing about the 80s. I'm sure it helps that I'm always across the entire library from the actual library front desks. There are other rooms nearby at the high school, but we're talking cinderblock walls. The only thing is when there's testing or presentations near my desk then I try to type with ... less gusto.

They are, even if you never plan on selling them. lol

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #11912 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 08:37:05 »

Yeah, they put a lot of thought into Silos. The hot swappable part almost makes you want to get one of their boards the moment they come out and try out every single flavor of switch as they release, but that board looks way too boring/ordinary to me.

The students all seem to like the novelty of the weird old boards I use from time to time, so do some staff. It has started quite a few interesting conversations from people reminiscing about the 80s. I'm sure it helps that I'm always across the entire library from the actual library front desks. There are other rooms nearby at the high school, but we're talking cinderblock walls. The only thing is when there's testing or presentations near my desk then I try to type with ... less gusto.

They are, even if you never plan on selling them. lol

The board looks like that because they are marketing it towards gamers and typists. There aren't enough people in the keyboard community to buy this thing. It won't be a successful product without gamers/typists. Hence the shine through, thin keycaps and absolutely horrible board itself. Looks like your average gaming keyboard. I want to make custom keyboards with these switches (if they are good).

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11913 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 16:00:43 »

---

---

ok

Offline igavya

« Reply #11914 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 18:07:03 »

Today was a good day.

You do realize you've used up a years worth of luck for this right?

many many people would KILL to be you.

I've always wanted to go to a Flea market, or antique/thrift store in Europe, I'd imagine the stuff there would be amazing compared to the United States.

still congrats on the awesome find.

Yeah haha thank you! I hope I still have some left for the next flea market visits though :P Ill keep posting what I find. Where I live, theres not much of a tech culture in general so even if rare, it's not surprising to come along these finds every once in a while. Let's see what else i can come along.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #11915 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 21:09:50 »
Yeah haha thank you! I hope I still have some left for the next flea market visits though :P Ill keep posting what I find. Where I live, theres not much of a tech culture in general so even if rare, it's not surprising to come along these finds every once in a while. Let's see what else i can come along.

I feel that here in the American Southwest, most of my exposure comes from my small company, and forums like this, and a little Reddit.

In person I rarely see any sort of old rare tech, unless it's in "Grandpa's outside shed", or basically a rare occasion I have to help clear out an older persons belongings, we don't have shops that sell computers parts, everything is shipped in. I can run across to Mexico and every so often find something neat.

Still love to see what you come up with over time.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11916 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 10:30:28 »
The board looks like that because they are marketing it towards gamers and typists. There aren't enough people in the keyboard community to buy this thing. It won't be a successful product without gamers/typists. Hence the shine through, thin keycaps and absolutely horrible board itself. Looks like your average gaming keyboard. I want to make custom keyboards with these switches (if they are good).

There are some absolutely beautiful "gaming" keyboards though, even from obscure Chinese manufacturers. I absolutely love the Corsair K65 and K70 series keyboards. It seems to me that it is usually the typist keyboards (of the last 20 years) that have always looked very spartan/pedestrian to me, not that that's necessary bad either. I just like a little style.

That's both good and bad. I can't imagine what beautiful old tech is needlessly destroyed, but it sure would be nice to have 0 competition in finding these old gems.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2020, 17:45:35 by Maledicted »

Offline igavya

« Reply #11917 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 15:56:46 »

I feel that here in the American Southwest, most of my exposure comes from my small company, and forums like this, and a little Reddit.

In person I rarely see any sort of old rare tech, unless it's in "Grandpa's outside shed", or basically a rare occasion I have to help clear out an older persons belongings, we don't have shops that sell computers parts, everything is shipped in. I can run across to Mexico and every so often find something neat.

Still love to see what you come up with over time.

That's cool, I'd also love to see what you can find over there! I'll try to go to the flea every weekend and post any rare finds too.

Offline igavya

« Reply #11918 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 15:58:25 »

There are some absolutely beautiful "gaming" keyboards though, even from obscure Chinese manufacturers. I absolutely love the Corsair K65 and K70 series keyboards. It seems to me that it is usually the typist keyboards (of the last 20 years) that have always looked very spartan/pedestrian to me, not that that's necessary bad either. I just like a little style.

That's both good and bad. I can't imagine what beautiful old tech is needlessly destroyed, but it sure would be nice to have 0 competition in finding these old gems.

Yeah, I feel exactly the same! That's why I'll try to salvage everything I can, and of course post it here!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11919 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 17:47:41 »
Yeah, I feel exactly the same! That's why I'll try to salvage everything I can, and of course post it here!

Good luck, and godspeed.

Offline OtherBarry1992

« Reply #11920 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 22:28:27 »
Waiting on Pulse SA from Drop to arrive. Can't wait, will be my first SA set, coming from GMK.  ;D

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11921 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 11:34:19 »
I am considering to order the MSI Optix Monitor for a new rig.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11922 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 15:18:17 »

Looks like a nice monitor. Good refresh rate and frequency. I have always liked MSI, ever since the bus driver gave me his old custom rig in a beige MSI case. Do you really need something curved though? I personally can't justify the current prices for standard FHD displays when I bought my 1ms 1920x1080 Samsung for like $120 in 2009.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #11923 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 20:51:28 »
I have an F AT coming in the mail with a bunch of extra keycaps. Noice, if I do say so myself. Looking to sell my other vintage boards to find my Gergoplex keyboard :)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11924 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 14:00:59 »
I have an F AT coming in the mail with a bunch of extra keycaps. Noice, if I do say so myself. Looking to sell my other vintage boards to find my Gergoplex keyboard :)

It is very nice, for sure. You can never have enough F AT boards.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11925 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 10:32:08 »

Looks like a nice monitor. Good refresh rate and frequency. I have always liked MSI, ever since the bus driver gave me his old custom rig in a beige MSI case. Do you really need something curved though? I personally can't justify the current prices for standard FHD displays when I bought my 1ms 1920x1080 Samsung for like $120 in 2009.

Sweet deal. I was in kindergarden then.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11926 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 10:38:33 »
Sweet deal. I was in kindergarden then.

It was a black friday sale, but I'm pretty sure that prices trended down soon after, once 1920x1080 took the market over entirely. I can't say I understand why FHD displays cost so much again.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #11927 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 11:18:31 »
Not quite in the mail just yet, but I got a buddy of mine holding a GMK Nines base set for me till I can pay him in a couple days. Pretty pumped as that was a set I was really disappointed I had to skip on.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #11928 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 07:02:53 »
One of these beauties is coming to me, tomorrow :)

9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11929 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 08:03:24 »

Nice. Is that your first b.s. board/Model M?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #11930 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 13:28:15 »

Show Image

Yay! Model Ms are cool. I prefer the look of them over the Fs, they look... complete. This "complete" look, to me, is found in TKL boards, which explains why I like the look of the F62 and 77 over the 122/107. I have never had the opportunity to own a TKL, but I have one coming in the mail soon. I am very excited, indeed.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11931 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 14:20:20 »
Yay! Model Ms are cool. I prefer the look of them over the Fs, they look... complete. This "complete" look, to me, is found in TKL boards, which explains why I like the look of the F62 and 77 over the 122/107. I have never had the opportunity to own a TKL, but I have one coming in the mail soon. I am very excited, indeed.

Really? I've never really liked the aesthetics of the Model M. I imagine that makes me a heretic. I love the way the F XT and AT look, and probably like the F107 most of all of the zinc chassis boards. TKLs are nice. I don't personally ever use the number pad anyway, so it is just wasted desk space.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #11932 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 15:22:15 »
I love the retro look of model M. I bought it only to have one, as I was born in 80s and these were simply iconic.
I also prefer TKL 100% and all me keyboards are TKLs, but this is something that every geecky OG should have :D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #11933 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 17:58:47 »

Really? I've never really liked the aesthetics of the Model M. I imagine that makes me a heretic. I love the way the F XT and AT look, and probably like the F107 most of all of the zinc chassis boards. TKLs are nice. I don't personally ever use the number pad anyway, so it is just wasted desk space.

The XT looks unorganized to me, and the AT looks like everything was misplaced.  I like the f122 because it has the arrow keys in the right place, along with the numpad in the right place. The function keys are even cooler when on the top and on the left side. :)

The Industrial color scheme is my favorite look out of all the Models M and F. I love the high contrast the case provides against the sleek white keycaps.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11934 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 21:22:08 »
I love the retro look of model M. I bought it only to have one, as I was born in 80s and these were simply iconic.
I also prefer TKL 100% and all me keyboards are TKLs, but this is something that every geecky OG should have :D

I'm with you 100%. I was also born in the 80s, though I have model Ms older than I am.

The XT looks unorganized to me, and the AT looks like everything was misplaced.  I like the f122 because it has the arrow keys in the right place, along with the numpad in the right place. The function keys are even cooler when on the top and on the left side. :)

The Industrial color scheme is my favorite look out of all the Models M and F. I love the high contrast the case provides against the sleek white keycaps.

The F XT's layout is terrible, yes, and the F AT's is just barely usable. What I like is the case design. Industrial model M colors are fantastic, agreed.

Offline Quercus

• I have not been murdered.
« Reply #11935 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 23:05:46 »

I just bought this, so it isn't actually in the mail yet. Anyone know the switches?

SpamRay fixed me up with a couple of Cherry M9s that are in the mail. It will replace the two I busted stripping an old West German typewriter for a handwired board project. It has a couple double M9 switches and a couple M9s with led switches.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 February 2020, 23:07:39 by Quercus »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11936 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 23:16:55 »
Show Image

I just bought this, so it isn't actually in the mail yet. Anyone know the switches?

SpamRay fixed me up with a couple of Cherry M9s that are in the mail. It will replace the two I busted stripping an old West German typewriter for a handwired board project. It has a couple double M9 switches and a couple M9s with led switches.

No idea, but it is cool. All the internet seems to know is that it is for a digital electron microscope.

Offline Quercus

« Reply #11937 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 08:57:53 »
Show Image

No idea, but it is cool. All the internet seems to know is that it is for a digital electron microscope.
I found an older terminal that got hacked which looked like M7s. I'm hoping they stuck with Cherry switches or at least decent mechs of some sort. The mystery is fun. I paid $22 for it, so isn't much of a gamble.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11938 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 12:23:17 »
I found an older terminal that got hacked which looked like M7s. I'm hoping they stuck with Cherry switches or at least decent mechs of some sort. The mystery is fun. I paid $22 for it, so isn't much of a gamble.

Cool. I just picked up an ancient terminal board from a local recycler myself, with SKCC cream switches. They sure are smooth. No idea whether or not I'll ever get it working with a modern computer though. I already cooked one of the resistors trying to wire it to a Pro Micro.

Offline Quercus

« Reply #11939 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 12:39:35 »

Cool. I just picked up an ancient terminal board from a local recycler myself, with SKCC cream switches. They sure are smooth. No idea whether or not I'll ever get it working with a modern computer though. I already cooked one of the resistors trying to wire it to a Pro Micro.
If you have to fry a part, at least it's a cheap one that's easily replaced. My typewriter project is a handwire job reusing the switch plate and part of the case along with the switches. You can always go this route if you can't make the PCB play nice. The typewriter PCB has a ton of electronic typewriter specific components on the board. Crap like massive capacitors and a dozen ICs that I can't find datasheets for. One is an 40-pin NEC IC made in Ireland. Odd for a Japanese company. 

Offline Quercus

« Reply #11940 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 19:00:48 »

So I got in the keyboard. It has early yellow variant stackpole linear metal leaf switches and M.E.C. MK. II 8-lead, square post, push button, 120V Danish switches with and without rectangular red LEDs. I can't get the spinner knob off even though I removed the stop screw. I even heated it and banged on it to try to break it free. I need to get that off to access the PCBs. A couple switches are sitting low and need some attention. I think I'll make a restoration thread and a deskthority page. Anyone that has more info. on the  M.E.C. MK. II switches or knob removal will be awarded 72,689 genuine internet points per datum.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11941 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 07:26:43 »
It just keeps getting cooler. You think they maybe the stuck some glue in the knob before they installed it? We're talking about a time when everything, even from off-brands, was made pretty ruggedly.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11942 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 20:23:01 »
It just keeps getting cooler. You think they maybe the stuck some glue in the knob before they installed it? We're talking about a time when everything, even from off-brands, was made pretty ruggedly.

I'm getting cooler B)

Offline Quercus

« Reply #11943 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 20:41:38 »
This knob is ridiculously well made! There will be a video, but for now I will say it is insane. I can't break it! I have not tried to gorilla it out because it won't be the same if it gets damaged. It is in no way a standard rotary encoder.

Offline nc0de

« Reply #11944 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 10:39:03 »
I'm waiting for @WarCommand's PFU red/blue mod set for the HHKB. I'm yearning for these since they're going to be my first keycap swaps ever. :'(

Can anyone recommend me a cheap keycap puller? Thought about buying this one: https://www.amazon.de/Stahldraht-Mechanisches-Stahldraht-mechanisches-Abziehwerkzeug-Computerschl%C3%BCsselersatz/dp/B07QX6DT18/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=keycap+puller&qid=1581438995&sr=8-4

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11945 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 10:53:17 »
I'm waiting for @WarCommand's PFU red/blue mod set for the HHKB. I'm yearning for these since they're going to be my first keycap swaps ever. :'(

Can anyone recommend me a cheap keycap puller? Thought about buying this one: https://www.amazon.de/Stahldraht-Mechanisches-Stahldraht-mechanisches-Abziehwerkzeug-Computerschl%C3%BCsselersatz/dp/B07QX6DT18/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=keycap+puller&qid=1581438995&sr=8-4

I just use whatever. One of the cheap cap sets I got on Amazon happened to come with a wire puller not much different from those. It worked great. A wire puller I specifically ordered because it had a switch puller on the reverse as well worked about the same. The only thing I have noticed is that the plastic pullers that clip onto the caps can be nice to use instead for stabilized keys, since then you don't have to try to bend and twist the wire around the corners at weird angles.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #11946 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 15:43:18 »

Best cap puller all time

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11947 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 16:52:03 »

Best cap puller all time

I'll bite. What sets this one apart from others? The size of the grip/handle thing, for better purchase?

Offline Quercus

« Reply #11948 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 17:02:19 »
I got one with a keyboard that has a finger hole through the handle just below the wires. It helps to get an even pull on a cap quickly. Wire puller>>>>>>than a plastic puller on small keys and plastic is better for long keys like Maledicted said. I put the wire puller under one side of a spacebar and my pinky or fingernail under the other if I don't have a plastic one around.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11949 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 17:12:13 »
I got one with a keyboard that has a finger hole through the handle just below the wires. It helps to get an even pull on a cap quickly. Wire puller>>>>>>than a plastic puller on small keys and plastic is better for long keys like Maledicted said. I put the wire puller under one side of a spacebar and my pinky or fingernail under the other if I don't have a plastic one around.

Nice, a finger hole sounds helpful too. Maybe even better if they made it a t-handle like some screwdrivers, the AR-15 charging handle, etc. Then you would really get some purchase with minimal effort. Not sure if this is normal for Alps or not, but the switches on my ZKB-2 were extremely tight. Getting those caps off felt like pulling teeth.