Author Topic: IBM Model M loose ground wire  (Read 4025 times)

Offline gustavQ

IBM Model M loose ground wire
« on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 17:06:40 »
Hi everyone.

Sorry if i'm open a new topic just to ask, what I think is, a quick tip.

So, I was disassemble a model M and, I don't know if it was me, but I found a ground wire loose from the board.
I want to put it back in the right place, but I don't know where.

I took a picture to make it easy to show the problem.

Can someone show me the correct spot to re-solder the wire?

Thanks

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: IBM Model M loose ground wire
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 17:15:24 »
J6.   No soldering, it should have a slide connector.

Similar to this
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline gustavQ

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 17:39:48 »
The ground wire with the connector is also there, but not in the picture. I have two ground wires, but one is loose. The board of my keyboard appears to be a little bit primitive compared to that one.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 17:50:22 »
The other ground wire goes to the cable.  Check the cable for a broken wire.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline gustavQ

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 18:10:46 »

Sorry, but i'm not following you.
In this picture you can see that they are two separated ground wires.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 18:41:14 »
the one with the connector goes to the tab on the PCB. The other one sholud go to the cable, I think.

What M is it, specifically? (A lexmark?) I don't think I have one that new or I'd crack it open and check.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 19:37:31 »
There's a couple of pictures here of my cable while I was refurbishing a Model M (actually I ended up making a replacement fixed PS/2 cable for it).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 20:03:35 »

Sorry, but i'm not following you.
In this picture you can see that they are two separated ground wires.
Show Image

The thin black wire is part of the cable, the thick black wires spade connector goes to the end of J6.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 20:39:41 »
It will probably still work without the ground wire attached to the cable, but it probably won't be FCC part15 compliant though.

Offline gustavQ

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 03:37:19 »
the one with the connector goes to the tab on the PCB. The other one sholud go to the cable, I think.

What M is it, specifically? (A lexmark?) I don't think I have one that new or I'd crack it open and check.

Yes, is a Lexmark:

You are all right it is from the cable, I needed to strip a little bit of the cable to see the other end of the wire.

I'm going to fix this.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 05:37:45 »
Having stripped the cable, you've lost the strain relief that the gromit was providing.

Depending on your location, budget etc. you might consider replacing the cable.

Unicomp sell them for $15 - but maybe get someone else to confirm that this is the correct cable as there is no picture.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gustavQ

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 06:49:39 »
Having stripped the cable, you've lost the strain relief that the gromit was providing.

Depending on your location, budget etc. you might consider replacing the cable.

Unicomp sell them for $15 - but maybe get someone else to confirm that this is the correct cable as there is no picture.

When I was offered the keyboard the strain relief was already broken thats why I stripped the cable.

I'm going to do the PS/2 to USB mod anyway. I'm waiting for the material to do that, and in the meantime, I want to to check if the Keyboard is fully funcional. But I don't have the PS/2 to USB converter yet.