Author Topic: [IC] Glow SA, Glow-in-the-Dark profiled SA, PRICES ADDED 2019-02-17  (Read 146954 times)

Offline jimirolln

Re: [IC] Glow SA, Glow-in-the-Dark profiled SA
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 13:11:39 »
i genuinely dig the new banner...but if bane is not gonna be a nov key im out
Show Image

i don't plan to do a glow build but i would buy the whole damn set for that one cap...nk

Offline thinkv

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 20:55:35 »
Signed up just for this, keen

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 23:35:11 »

Great! And welcome!

It's been a busy week at work so not much to update. I've been working on some novelty idea scribbles, which will be translated to some cleaner images over the coming days, otherwise we're still on the waiting game.

Here's a little angler fish idea - I think this guy, in some form, will make the cut:

« Last Edit: Fri, 13 April 2018, 13:51:50 by emenelopee »

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 23:49:56 »

Great! And welcome!

It's been a busy week so not much to update. I've been working on some novelty idea scribbles, which will be translated to some cleaner images over the coming days, otherwise we're still on the waiting game.

Here's a little angler fish idea - I think this guy, in some form, will make the cut:

Show Image

The angler-fish idea is neat!

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #204 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 06:28:27 »
I really like that 6u spacebar. Can SP do center stem?

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #205 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 13:50:30 »
I really like that 6u spacebar. Can SP do center stem?

I'm waiting for the latest SA Family spec sheet once SP finish their tooling/moulding machines due at the end of this month--this is the waiting game we're playing on this set--which will also be the time when dollar numbers are put to the set. The spec sheet should also answer your centre stem question. If anyone else knows more, feel free to chime in.

This is why there's nothing to do right now but mess around with novelties and make sure interest doesn't go stale. Also working on one or two little bonus items dot dot dot  :p

Offline Dolas

« Reply #206 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 06:23:12 »
Reading back through the thread and noticed that no one has suggested a mushroom novelty.

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 07:09:31 »
Reading back through the thread and noticed that no one has suggested a mushroom novelty.

Glowing mushrooms? Or the "non-infringing general video-game plumber's size-enlargement mushroom"?

Something that'll be more within the "things that glow" theme is the "non-infringing general glowing invincibility-granting star", I think.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #208 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 10:46:08 »

Ohhhh bioluminescent mushrooms. Right, hadn't thought of those.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #209 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 11:40:03 »
Interesting. I'll have a play around and see what comes out of the scribble session.

In the meantime:

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 23:44:33 »
Would love to add this set to my collection (only have a set of SA Miami night & a DSA Black/Gray Dolch)

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline M

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 03:54:35 »
The more I look at this set the more I like it. The daytime shots of the caps also look very nice for a set that only really needs to look good in the dark to fulfill its true purpose.

Offline scud80

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 23:46:50 »
i'm very much on board with this set.  love me some glow.

Offline vpr

« Reply #213 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 01:06:50 »
How about something like Slimer (From Ghostbusters) and/or a text one that read 'He Slimed Me!'

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #214 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 01:33:02 »
I wonder if gradients are possible here. If not a smooth one, perhaps a dot gradient, allowing light to shine through while providing a gradient effect? With the glow, gradients can provide interesting effects. I wonder how fine we can make the dots with dye-sub.

Dot gradient example (aka halftone):

EDIT: Not just for gradient, but also for tone contrast i.e. some parts shine bright, others less so
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 April 2018, 02:48:00 by Krastoff »

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #215 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 04:19:35 »
Adding on to my previous post on gradient, a little mockup I did to try to illustrate. One of various ways we can use gradients.

Lord Vader in dot gradient on the left, non-gradient on the right:

Shrunk (not a perfect dot gradient here since I just resized, resulting in gray pixels.. just an illustration):

Offline Norde

« Reply #216 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 05:01:09 »

- Extended ISO NORDE support isn't there yet - any specific requests for this?

Full Norde like SA Carbon or SA Oblivion:

R3 ALT GR 1U / R3 ALT GR 1.25 / ALT GRAPH 1.5
With tertiary legends (!)
R4 1.25 Shift
Iso enter

Yes please.

Offline scud80

« Reply #217 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 10:40:39 »
i would actually love to see a contrast modifier kit (ie black with glow legends).  it could be particularly cool since the doubleshot has a decent amount of the legend color on the underside ... so if you have lights under the caps they would charge the glow while they're on and you'd get underglow if you turn them off.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #218 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 11:01:22 »
i would actually love to see a contrast modifier kit (ie black with glow legends).  it could be particularly cool since the doubleshot has a decent amount of the legend color on the underside ... so if you have lights under the caps they would charge the glow while they're on and you'd get underglow if you turn them off.
DSA Borealis tried this and the results were underwhelming at best. Centered legends will not Glow consistently or completely from LEDs due to the placement of the switch stem. Top or bottom justified legends, such as on the number row, will light up as desired, but only on the side where the LED is. I'll see if I can get some pictures of what I'm talking about.

Offline scud80

« Reply #219 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 11:23:09 »
well, regardless of the efficacy of the glowing, i'd personally still prefer the option of having some contrast on the board

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #220 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 12:08:59 »
Daylight with no backlight, daylight with blue backlight, and dark with blue backlight.

Offline scud80

« Reply #221 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 12:12:47 »
hmm ... ok you're right, that doesn't look so great.  i thought the glow color would be much closer to white, but i guess that's only when it's thicker.

Offline mogo

« Reply #222 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 12:15:16 »
Parva Orvis is correct, but on top of that, this isn't double-shot. This set is going to be dye-sublimated. But if it were double-shot, I've got some doubleshot caps where the glow is the legend-shot and the shell is a blue polycarbonate, and even though the shell allows some light through, the small amount of GID plastic in the legend shot does not glow for ****. It is so underwhelming compared to all-GID single-shot caps that I've got from SP.
194295-0

While I understand how a contrasting set of non-alphas may seem appealing, I'm going to advocate for more sets that don't do contrasting non-alpha keys. Uniformity can look better than people think:p

Offline scud80

« Reply #223 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 12:25:52 »
after seeing the dsa borealis example, i rescind my contrast request.  missed the dye sub part in the OP ... why dye sub?  just for price?

Offline mogo

« Reply #224 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 12:40:31 »
More GID plastic to sustain glow, cheaper to dyesub than to doubleshot, especially for novelties that haven't had a doubleshot mold crafted before, and the symbols are going to be black for high contrast anyways, which is ideal for dyesub. Also, I'm not sure if it was part of emenelopee's decision process, but I know that on doubleshots that I have where GID is the outer shell, you can see the inner shell through the outer one, a little bit, and it makes the whole cap a little muddier.
194297-0

Offline scud80

« Reply #225 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 12:59:52 »
all good reasons.  it's like people actually think about details or something!

Offline mogo

« Reply #226 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 13:36:12 »
all good reasons.  it's like people actually think about details or something!

Woah woah, thinking? Details? Lets not get crazy, here.  :confused:

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #227 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 18:36:54 »
Sometimes I put thought in things. Best to catch those moments whenever I can.

The more I look at this set the more I like it. The daytime shots of the caps also look very nice for a set that only really needs to look good in the dark to fulfill its true purpose.

I keep meaning to put more focus on the non-glow presentation as this will be pretty much 80% of use-cases - they do indeed look nice, a pleasant off-white light cream, a "soft"-looking effect, similar to pictures of white POM or silicone that I have seen. I'm working on renders right now, fingers crossed I can figure out the right materials as GID, in both daylight and night, is hard to recreate, but the people like seeing renders to get that extra injection of interest.

How about something like Slimer (From Ghostbusters) and/or a text one that read 'He Slimed Me!'

Copyright stuff will be hard to get past the SP check. Generally, though, it's hard to get a design that contains an image or object that should be glowing - a silhouette doesn't do it justice, and a line outline is a little anaemic. The "blob" I already have is a good example of a design is nice in theory but that doesn't work in context.

I wonder if gradients are possible here. If not a smooth one, perhaps a dot gradient, allowing light to shine through while providing a gradient effect? With the glow, gradients can provide interesting effects. I wonder how fine we can make the dots with dye-sub.

Dot gradient example (aka halftone):

Show Image

Show Image

EDIT: Not just for gradient, but also for tone contrast i.e. some parts shine bright, others less so

Adding on to my previous post on gradient, a little mockup I did to try to illustrate. One of various ways we can use gradients.

Lord Vader in dot gradient on the left, non-gradient on the right:

Show Image

Shrunk (not a perfect dot gradient here since I just resized, resulting in gray pixels.. just an illustration):

Show Image

I've been trying out a few ideas similar to this. The "glow array" in the OP is an attempt at gradient, and the projected boxes with the line-shading is a different tack. I have a few other thoughts I've not had time to sit down and put on screen which I'll work on a little later. The fabrication is a bit of a limitation on this - the resolution is limited (though better than double-shot), bleed needs to be kept under control, and the surface of keycaps is pretty small, so the design needs to be as simple as possible. I think I can get the eyeball to work, and I really like the idea of a magazine/print point-style effect, but the Vader is too complex.

Same goes for the mushrooms earlier in the thread - I like the idea, but the design is limited to linework for an outline and some detail, but then the glowing object is on a glowing background, unless the top is blacked out like a pudding keycap, which doesn't really work for me, and a silhouette would be the opposite of a glowing mushroom. I tried working around this with the angler fish sketch by putting lines on the background for a darker context and a solid silhouette for the fish body. This works OK as the lines are the watery medium fishes tend to live in, I'm not sure how to translate that to other glowing objects without creating the pudding-cap effect. The diamond options are a good case-study in this - can't quite get it working to my liking.

well, regardless of the efficacy of the glowing, i'd personally still prefer the option of having some contrast on the board

I hear you, but this is a mono-colour set. Firstly, I'm in the mono-appreciation club; secondly, given the neutral daytime colouring, standard SP font/profile, and the night-time case making no difference, this is an easy set to mix-n-match with your favourite mods or alphas etc. most people already have. There are other points: only one type of GID plastic SP offers, this being a dye-sub set (which would limit any modifiers to lighter colours anyway), but mostly, as Coco Chanel's apparently once said “Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off”--adding contrast caps would over-egg this particular pudding. Thx Mogo and Parva for the excellent examples. I hadn't seen the "87" key before, but that's exactly why SP recommends against double-shooting with GID.

- Extended ISO NORDE support isn't there yet - any specific requests for this?

Full Norde like SA Carbon or SA Oblivion:

R3 ALT GR 1U / R3 ALT GR 1.25 / ALT GRAPH 1.5
With tertiary legends (!)
R4 1.25 Shift
Iso enter
Yes please.

I'm afraid you're in a minority of one for NORDE at the moment: ISO tends to not fare too well, let alone NORDE, so g l o w is limited to the UK ISO which I'm not expecting to reach MOQ anyway (we'll see when the MOQ numbers come through from SP, and fingers crossed it does) which has the keys you listed other than AltGr.

Generally, I've been a little slow on further dev as I've had a ton of irl stuff on my plate recently. Messing around with Rhino/VRay today, hoping for some decent results, but as I said earlier in this post, emissive materials are tough to make look good: current experiments are resulting in all-glowing mass with no contrast from key to key as you can't cast shadows and highlights on light-source materials so they come out all flat. As before, more as it develops.

Thanks again to all for the interest and discussion, it's nice to see the idea has some legs. Let's make it happen' cap'n!

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #228 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 10:13:06 »
In case anyone wants to see how the sausage is being made, here's the result of some messing around with Rhino/VRay yesterday. It's a little on the cartoony side as getting the glow material to render is proving to be tricky, and it's looking a little bright on my second screen, needs some tweaking before I'm fully happy with it. Daylight shots should come out more photorealistic, more on this later today.

For those that don't want to see how the sausage is made, just pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

« Last Edit: Sun, 22 April 2018, 10:32:56 by emenelopee »

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #229 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 17:06:17 »
Mmm sausage

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #230 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 18:13:56 »
You asked for sausage, here it is.

Still pretty saturated in the glow, and I haven't yet tried getting some bloom in there, but so far so good.

EDIT: added some bloom which has blown the contrast WAAY out at lower resolutions. Eh, you get the gist.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 April 2018, 18:57:01 by emenelopee »

Offline scud80

« Reply #231 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 18:17:22 »
they look pretty neat, though i'm not really sure renders are necessary to promote this set.  certainly needed less than for other sets.  unlike those with custom colors, anybody can just order one of the poison keys from SP and see exactly how the material looks in person.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #232 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 18:35:09 »
they look pretty neat, though i'm not really sure renders are necessary to promote this set.  certainly needed less than for other sets.  unlike those with custom colors, anybody can just order one of the poison keys from SP and see exactly how the material looks in person.

I've had at least one confused post thinking this was two sets. Also the arms race on [IC] presentation is on - renders help with the hype, and not everyone can visualise, so explicitly showing some context helps even more.

And as you say they're neat, and something for me to do while I wade through this head cold.

These are just a few initial steps before I better mock-up the novelties while we wait for end of the month's SP updates.

EDIT: and of course the main reason is to bring some better focus on the daylight visuals - I've been overly focussed on the glow and less so on the day-to-day which is probably 80-90% of actual use.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 April 2018, 18:54:38 by emenelopee »

Offline scud80

« Reply #233 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 18:39:33 »
ah.  well, if you like doing them that's different.  carry on!  hope you feel better soon.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #234 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 19:57:41 »
At the risk of causing a stir, I'm feeling the blue, very nice with the almost-cream of the GID plastic:

What's the level of interest in blue text?

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #235 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 20:13:56 »
I'm firmly disinterested in blue legends. I don't think it would look bad, but I don't think it would be as nice as black. More importantly, blue would limit mixing this set with other sets, which I plan on doing.

Offline scud80

« Reply #236 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 20:21:15 »
yeah, black seems like a firm requirement, particularly if you have any concerns about making MOQ.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #237 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 20:39:28 »
Oof. Good thing I didn't try out a red option. "Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off."

How are the colours of the renders coming out on your screens? My little laptop makes them seem a lot more saturated than the one on which I was putting the renders together.

Offline mogo

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 21:00:48 »
It's pretty saturated, but it's really hard to convey GID glow properly, whether renders or photographs. It looks great anyways!

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 23:01:50 »
Overnight render ahoy. In the meantime some progress on the daylight: less saturation, higher quality, and a little bit of cartooning.

EDIT: updated glow, experiment in array novelty:

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 April 2018, 10:07:22 by emenelopee »

Offline mogo

« Reply #240 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 08:58:11 »
Beautiful render! I think you nailed the yellowy shade of the plastic.

Offline scud80

« Reply #241 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 13:49:04 »
I have some questions/requests regarding the proposed key kit on p2.  first the questions:
1) why are there two R1 Esc keys?
2) what board uses an R1 Tab key?

Concerning requests, I'd generally like to see a bit more support for smaller boards (40/50%).  Large numbers of blanks per set aren't really necessary, as a separate buy could be done for those for people that want them; SP sells custom orders of blank keycaps in non-custom colors with a minimum $100 order.  For printed caps, the extra ones I'd like to see are 1u R2 Tab, 1u R4 Shift, 1u R3 Enter, 1u R3 Raise/Lower (or an additional set of icon arrows), 1u R3 Fn, and 2 1u R3 blanks.  So 8-10 total caps, which could be in the extension kit.  I'd also kind of prefer 1 Super + 1 OS instead of 2 that say Super, but that might be just me.  I'd also really like to see a 1.5u GLOW novelty, as that's the only way I'd get to use it (on my Ergodox).  Also agree that icon novelties set should be fairly small.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 14:18:13 »
Extra Esc and R1 Tab are both commonly included in numpad kits.

In regards to the 40% additions, it's not really worth it to include in the extension kit as that'll just increase the cost noticeably for only a relatively small number of people to benefit from their addition. A separate 40% kit should be possible though, if there's enough interest to make it worth it.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 14:20:41 »
that filament novelty is precious - nice renders!

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 14:24:29 »
I missed the discussion: Has your choice of rows been discussed?

112344 vs 112343?

I find most older sets are 112344, and would love for that to stay consistent (reference) https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5q4ua5/sa_keysets_and_their_profiles/

Just chatting, what are your thoughts?

Offline scud80

« Reply #245 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 14:34:01 »
40% kit would be fine as opposed to including in extension.  i think they typically allow smaller MOQ on additional kits, particularly for really small ones.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #246 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 14:48:55 »

112344 vs 112343?

I find most older sets are 112344, and would love for that to stay consistent (reference) https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5q4ua5/sa_keysets_and_their_profiles/

112343 - most newer sets seem to be following this convention (Pulse), it meshes better with the spacebars, 3 is more comfortable with pinky/thumb use on bottom row, and there's always the option to put arrows on WASD, ESDF, HJKL, or whatever floats your particular boat.

EDIT: personally I'd prefer 112342 but I'm OK with 112343. 112344 has too sharp an edge. 112343 is the happy medium.

And thanks! The filament came out as I'd hoped and has the right feel for the set identity as a whole. I've given up trying to get anything but a flat look on the emissive materials, slight cell shading and bloom will have to do. The renders are more for pushing the non-glow appearance into the light (ha!) anyway - I went away from the high gloss look of what every other set uses (I believe they all rely on the same Blender plugin?), the softer subtler appearance I find nicer.

40% kit would be fine as opposed to including in extension.  i think they typically allow smaller MOQ on additional kits, particularly for really small ones.

There's not been much demand for 40% so far. I had originally ruled it out, but then again I had ruled out anything other than the basics and I've gone back on that. So: mmmaybe, I'll have a ponder.

I should really get a poll up.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 April 2018, 14:54:56 by emenelopee »

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #247 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 14:56:27 »

112344 vs 112343?

112343 - most newer sets seem to be following this convention (Pulse), it meshes better with the spacebars, 3 is more comfortable with pinky/thumb use on bottom row, and there's always the option to put arrows on WASD, ESDF, HJKL, or whatever floats your particular boat.

And thanks! The filament came out as I'd hoped and has the right feel for the set identity as a whole. I've given up trying to get anything but a flat look on the emissive materials, slight cell shading and bloom will have to do. The renders are more for pushing the non-glow appearance into the light (ha!) anyway - I went away from the high gloss look of what every other set uses (I believe they all rely on the same Blender plugin?), the softer subtler appearance I find nicer.

There's not been much demand for 40% so far. I had originally ruled it out, but then again I had ruled out anything other than the basics and I've gone back on that. So: mmmaybe, I'll have a ponder.

I should really get a poll up.

Roger roger, seems well thought out, i wonder where/when/why the change took hold moving from 4 on the bottom row to 3... maybe to make novelties work from other r3 sets?... who knows!

Make sure to include a r2 up arrow if you want to offer the WASD + ESDF arrows, nad never thought about that.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #248 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 15:00:17 »
Not sure if it will be a problem but the text on the mods looks rather thin in the backlit renders, like it could be lost in the glow - is it any thinner than the lines on the known-visible skull?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #249 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 15:08:35 »
- 112343 Decision: Looking back tbh I have no idea when it was settled, or even if it was. It's what I started with, 112344 was floated with not enough to convince otherwise. As with everything bottom-row, this will be the forever unsettled question;
- R2 up arrow: I realised as soon as I wrote my last post that this would be needed. Ditto scooped right and down(?) arrow for ESDF and HJKL. I ask that line of argument be stricken from the record.
- Link thickness: There's been a little direction from SP but not enough to incorporate into the renders, I just drew what looked about right - we'll hopefully know the limits once their new machines are debugged and up and have sent them the files on which to do their magic. The glowing render has a little bloom which may make them seem thinner. Also amateur render skillz.