Author Topic: Recommend a desk mat?  (Read 6551 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

Recommend a desk mat?
« on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 22:22:53 »
I am looking for a recommendation for a desk mat.  I'm not sure if that is the right name.  I need more than a large mouse pad.  It should be a satisfactory writing surface, protect it from soldering, sharpening and general misc hardware tasks, and yeah- function as a mouse pad too.  I have seen some nice ones in videos and photos that have for example blueprint drawings as a design on it. 

I don't really know what it's called so I'm having trouble finding it.  I found a clear one which may work, but I'm looking for something very dark in color. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline nevin

Re: Recommend a desk mat?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 23:16:33 »
don't know that there's a single mat made to do all you are requesting, but here are a couple ideas.

regular mouse/desk mat    https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Stitched-Mousepad-Premium-Textured-Waterproof/dp/B0788LMLZL
these are a popular item on just about any keyboard vendor's site tons of designs, usually to go along with a particular keycap set.
- fabric & rubber backing - can't solder over it, not that nice to write on, con't cut on it (will cut the mat as well) nice for mouse & keyboard to sit on.

dedicated soldering mat.    https://www.amazon.com/Kaisi-Insulation-Silicone-Position-Soldering/dp/B07XTDGN4T
- usually a blue silicone mat of various sizes - made to solder on usually some sections on the mat for small electronic parts, can't say how a mouse will be on it, probably not that nice to write on, probably easy to cut. (i don't have one)

cutting mat.       https://www.amazon.com/OLFA-Double-Sided-Self-Healing-Rotary-Mat/dp/B0006SDOFO
- made of some types of plastic/vinyl made for cutting on, ok for a mouse, will leave heat / solder marks where solder hits it, but solder peels up easily, this is a harder mat, fine to write on like any hard surface.
- this is what i use for my workstation - cutting/soldering/tinkering etc... i have a large one 24"x36"

for what you're describing... i'd go with a cutting mat.

hope this helps.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 June 2021, 00:05:19 »
Yes, a "cutting mat."  That would be it.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 June 2021, 01:10:28 »
the one i have is the OLFA brand like linked above.
271131-0
if you can go to a store, check out ones that are made like that one. (there are many types & kinds of cutting mats)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68