Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage - Remapping key question  (Read 2104 times)

Offline highend

Kinesis Advantage - Remapping key question
« on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 10:07:52 »
Hi,

I've ordered one today from Amazon.de and I'll get one with a german keyboard layout. I've already read the documentation and you can remap any key to any other key but... maybe I've overlooked it but is it also possible to copy e.g. the shifted value of a key to a different key?

I'd like to "restore" the special characters from a us keyboard layout.

E.g. "[" is AltGr + 8 on a german keyboard
"{" is AltGr + 7
etc.

Those keys are much easier to type on a us layout because they both share the same key (and only need the shift modifier).

Is this possible?

Offline vvp

Re: Kinesis Advantage - Remapping key question
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 12:32:35 »
You cannot do it with a remap but you many be able to do it with macro. Try to assign macro AltGr+8 to whatever combination you want it to be.

Notice that remap just assigns new key scancode (or ussage ID in USB keyboard page) to some physical key. Your operating system interprets the scancode as some logical key (e.g. A or Shift) based on keyboard locale selection. The same scancode can have different meanings in different keyboard locales.

Also some keys cannot be remaped on kinesis advantage or can be remaped only with a foot switch (FS1). Especially you cannot remap foot switch FS1 (temporary keypad shift) to a key on keyboard. I think you cannot remap Program key. You probably can remap Keypad switch key but only if you have a foot switch (FS1). Not sure I remember it correctly. I moved to my Katy keyboard where there is more freedom. I'm sure some good soul will correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline highend

Re: Kinesis Advantage - Remapping key question
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 12:45:32 »
Thanks, vvp!

I guess I'll have it here on tuesday at latest. Macros could be the solution I'm looking for. I'll report back once I had time to try it.