Author Topic: Maxkeys SA Evergreen  (Read 16005 times)

Offline lewis.ridden

• Evergreen/Iris designer
Maxkeys SA Evergreen
« on: Sat, 16 December 2017, 08:50:38 »
Hey GH, how's it going? So ever since Iris, my split handed ergo 50%, went through to production, I've been itching to get another project out into the community. I'd been wanting to produce an SA variant of my dark green and white keyset, Evergreen (https://imgur.com/a/4KCcO) that ran through Signature Plastics in 2015. There's a Massdrop poll that's just been vegetating for a while, that I've all but given up hope on, so I went around looking for a way to contact the elusive Maxkeys. I was directed to zFrontier as being the people to talk to, as I don't speak any languages beside English and highschool-level Japanese.

This is where you come in, besides the whole "hey guys you get new sets"  news.

Maxkeys are theoretically able to color match to any Pantone color. Obviously zfrontier request a sample of a given color to verify this is possible, but there doesn't seem to be any issues with that so far.

The past few days I've been digging through the Pantone site, and I've uncovered three colors that are all rather similar but different enough to each make a spot in the poll.

The original design idea for Evergreen was to make a mossy, not intensely green-grey, not quite regular green sort of design to match the semi-muted forest shades I found appealing, however I realize this may not be to everybody's taste, hence I've created a poll to get the community's thoughts, with the vastly scientific Goldilocks method. Either it's gotta be greyer, or it's good enough as is, or it needs to be greener. (https://imgur.com/a/PsMRD)

Have a vote here for the color you'd prefer.
https://strawpoll.com/3gkxs7a3

This is going to be both the main color for the modifiers and the text color for the alphas, the other color of which is to be Pantone 11-0105 https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/11-0105-TPX aka Antique White, as it fits right between being white enough to work decently with all of them, but cream/off-white enough to have some soul to it, much like vintage SA sets that are found every now and again.

I'm going to see if I can find a sweet spot of additional keys to support a range of layouts, but not to the point where the average user is buying far more keys and paying more than they'd need to.

Ergodox support, 40% support, ortho/planck/orthodox/Iris etc support are planned for now, but given the sculpted nature of the set (currently thinking 1-1-2-3-4-4 for the profile), this may change. If you can think of any other kits that can be reasonably incorporated, I'll see if I can come up with a layout that works for everyone as best I can.

When the colours are sorted, I'll probably post some promotional material by way of renders by one of the many talented artists in the community (if you fit this description and want to help let me know). I'm mainly a /r/mechanicalkeyboards user, but I'm posting here and DT too, any and all pitchforks may be directed to my DMs, but my intention's just to let enough people with keebs have some nice caps.

As far as novelties go, I'm definitely reinstating the kanji character for tree, and if anyone's got any ideas for anything else that can be done, I'd be glad to expand to one or two more little logos etc.

Hope everyone's having a great day :) also, mockup render colors are subject to change (obviously), I just threw it into kbrender.com to get a feel for it

« Last Edit: Sat, 16 December 2017, 09:11:02 by lewis.ridden »
Mostly on reddit as u/GAMING_FACE

Offline nickaster1

Re: Maxkeys SA Evergreen
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 December 2017, 08:52:13 »
I need this. Been looking all around for this color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline saucybulgogi

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 December 2017, 13:08:24 »
Yeeeesssss I’ve been hoping for an evergreen reboot for a while. Definitely interested in this

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 December 2017, 13:10:40 »
I like the decision of keeping all the function keys one color.
Can we get matching alphas in green?

Offline Traveler

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 15:06:36 »
I'm a bit on the fence but I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this set. It's hard for me to say no to a green SA set.

Offline fishpod

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 21:10:28 »
would love it being a bit greener or just evergreen  :thumb:

Offline olieatstofu

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 05:28:02 »
I am in for this, look forward to it. I hope that down the line, euro proxies could be set up?

Offline lewis.ridden

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 08:55:53 »
I am in for this, look forward to it. I hope that down the line, euro proxies could be set up?

zFrontier is coordinating the buy, I'll send them a message and ask if they can do anything about  EU shipping. Last time they shipped to the EU they partnered with another company and did orders for there through them, so I'm not sure. I'll see what I can do

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 13:00:43 »
Dang so beautiful, definite buy! Please make the god damn |\ key in green also. Not asking for much lol

Offline lewis.ridden

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 01:13:27 »

Just sent off the details to zFrontier to get drawn up their end, meanwhile here's the layout :)

EDIT: after receiving some messages, I wasn't aware of any manufacturing limits with Maxkey in regards to certain sizes of keys, ISO enter etc as there is little documentation Ive found on what they can and can't do, my only real information was that they were able to manufacture by Pantone colours, however if some keys aren't able to be made for whichever reason, the images and layout will be updated to reflect that when I hear back from zfrontier
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 January 2018, 03:58:34 by lewis.ridden »

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 01:15:48 »
For the rows on the render are some supposed to be R4? Like the 1.75 shift?

Offline Traveler

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 13:08:36 »
Glad to hear an update on this! I was afraid the project was abandoned; funny enough that fear made me realize how much I want this set.

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 20:56:19 »
Show Image

Just sent off the details to zFrontier to get drawn up their end, meanwhile here's the layout :)

EDIT: after receiving some messages, I wasn't aware of any manufacturing limits with Maxkey in regards to certain sizes of keys, ISO enter etc as there is little documentation Ive found on what they can and can't do, my only real information was that they were able to manufacture by Pantone colours, however if some keys aren't able to be made for whichever reason, the images and layout will be updated to reflect that when I hear back from zfrontier

Dang nice to see that things are moving along so nicely. Man wished the alphas were a more crisp white, but I will certainly be keeping an eye on this.

Offline asdflkweoiaf23452

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 21:46:59 »
40% kit please.

Offline schmoktopus

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 06:04:26 »
Why is noone doing Singature Plastics sets anymore? I'd rather have a new SP set than Maxkey sets popping up weekly. Is there a proper reason behind this? The long waiting times are totally worth it imo.

Offline Traveler

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 07:43:47 »
Why is noone doing Singature Plastics sets anymore? I'd rather have a new SP set than Maxkey sets popping up weekly. Is there a proper reason behind this? The long waiting times are totally worth it imo.

As far as I know, there's two reasons. First is the wait time. For some people a 1-1.5 year wait is fine, but for others not so much. I myself don't have an opinion one way or another since I haven't owned a Maxkey set. Second reason is price. You can get a Maxkey set significantly cheaper than a SP set.

Offline TastyNico

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 17:22:18 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 February 2023, 23:44:12 by TastyNico »

Offline lewis.ridden

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 02 February 2018, 03:28:36 »
40% kit please.

The compatibility pack should cover most 40% boards that I'm aware of. Any particular keys missing?

Did zFrontier send you a reply yet?
Indeed they did, zFrontier are going to be taking a small amount of time to get orders up and running, due to factories being closed for a festival. The ETA I was given was early March for production,  I'm not sure if that's solid.

As far as I know, there's two reasons. First is the wait time. For some people a 1-1.5 year wait is fine, but for others not so much. I myself don't have an opinion one way or another since I haven't owned a Maxkey set. Second reason is price. You can get a Maxkey set significantly cheaper than a SP set.
Nailed it, plus Maxkeys is able to colour match to a given Pantone colour, rather than the comparatively limited palette that SP offers.
Glad to hear an update on this! I was afraid the project was abandoned; funny enough that fear made me realize how much I want this set.
It's not going to be abandoned, if anything my replies will simply be slower as I'm primarily on reddit, but I shall be checking replies more frequently on here.
Show Image

Dang nice to see that things are moving along so nicely. Man wished the alphas were a more crisp white, but I will certainly be keeping an eye on this.

Thanks! I'd tossed around with the idea of a brand new, pale white, but for some it might have felt a bit too similar to SA camping, and didn't entirely fit the aesthetic I'd had in mind, so an antique sort of white seemed the way to go.

Offline TastyNico

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 02 February 2018, 07:59:23 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 February 2023, 23:44:06 by TastyNico »

Offline asdflkweoiaf23452

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 02 February 2018, 14:50:46 »
40% kit please.

The compatibility pack should cover most 40% boards that I'm aware of. Any particular keys missing?

I'm looking for proper spacebars for a split spacebar config.  So basically a left shift and right shift key but blank. 

Offline Geckt

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 14:41:45 »
Show Image

Definitely going grab a few sets, just for the novelties.

It's my name!

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 12:57:29 »
I already commented in the reddit thread, but figured I’d chime in here. I love the colors, they are perfect. And Planck compatibility makes this an instant buy! Really can’t wait to put my money down for these guys.
MAAASSSSDDDRROOOPPPPPP!!!!!

Offline lewis.ridden

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 01:47:22 »
192243-0

the image attached shows the kits that will be included. Main Kit includes compatibility with most boards, and the only things being offered separate are the NorDE kit and the Novelties. Still waiting to hear back from Maxkeys through zFrontier on what a quote will be

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 08:50:43 »
There will be no 1u zero key in the base set? That one is a bit important for many layouts/numpads and it seems odd to include some of the winkeyless stuff without including that key.

It *does* appear to be in the NorDE-UK kit.. but the resolution of the image makes it hard for me to tell...

keyboards

Offline lewis.ridden

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 10:30:29 »
There will be no 1u zero key in the base set? That one is a bit important for many layouts/numpads and it seems odd to include some of the winkeyless stuff without including that key.

It *does* appear to be in the NorDE-UK kit.. but the resolution of the image makes it hard for me to tell...

yes there is a single unit in the NorDE-UK kit, I'd completely forgotten to include the single unit 0 key in the main kit, my bad. When I thought winkeyless, my first thought was the TKL. Unfortunately, zFrontier have already sent it off for quotes ;-; On the bright side at least it's still included in a way

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 23:39:27 »
So did you actually get confirmation that maxkeys can do iso?   Also FWIW, SP's current lead time for SA is down to 5-6 months.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 March 2018, 00:02:42 by a_ak57 »

Offline Kunkka

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 02:44:30 »
How about add a 3u spacebar for minila?

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 18:34:07 »
Not to keep harking, but the ortho compatibility is a bit off, at least for the default Planck layout. 1u backspace should be r2, enter should be r4, and there should be an r3 esc. Besides that it is looking great! Plus legend compatibility issues aren't the end of the world, I just want to get my hands on this set.

Love that the novelties are r3, btw!
MAAASSSSDDDRROOOPPPPPP!!!!!

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 00:59:12 »
So did you actually get confirmation that maxkeys can do iso?   Also FWIW, SP's current lead time for SA is down to 5-6 months.

Came to say this about SP. The lead time thing is from like a year or so ago; its not an excuse anymore.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 04:28:27 »
Any chance of having a R1 1.5u backspace,  R1 1u backslash, and  R1 1u tilde keys for full HHKB support?

Offline Kunkka

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 11:18:04 »
Any Update?

Offline lewis.ridden

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 13:11:24 »
Any Update?

sent my designs to zFrontier to forward to maxkeys on the 9th of March, they replied that they were contacting Maxkeys around the 12th of March, haven't heard since

Offline Klackygears

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 20:59:36 »
Any chance of Dvorak support?

Offline jdlee777

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 22:49:55 »
This is cool.  :thumb:
I'd like to add R1 1U Del, End, PGDN.
If possible, please add R1 1U Tab, =.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 April 2018, 23:58:51 by jdlee777 »

Offline young_won

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 23:56:00 »
I like the letter of 木. Can you add 森 to Novelties?

Offline Kunkka

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 02:26:10 »
please double-check the novelty because the "木" and “林” are not in the same font.

I am sure you could distinguish the difference.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 03:06:16 »
This set ought to have a 1.75 R2 backspace for HHKB layout support. That's probably more important than accomodating 40s and stuff.

Otherwise, nice job cramming so much compatibility into a reasonably-sized kit!
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 09:08:43 »
I so wish Maxkey supported Colemak layouts....

Offline lewis.ridden

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 10:28:19 »
hey guys! just got a reply from zFrontier, nothing big but it's good that they're keeping in semi-regular contact

"Maxkeys said that they are moving location recently and are too busy to check out new designs. I will be keep pushing them.

Will give you an update once anything solid shows up."

So that's where I'm at, at the moment. I'll give you an update when I can

Offline quad_h

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 22:51:41 »
It is simple :)

Offline pttymcgee

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 16:11:46 »
This looks amazing, I'd be in for a set.
No u

Offline BserLarry

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 12:15:38 »
Maxkey seems to have more or less settled down for production, time to revive the thread?

Offline lewis.ridden

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 08:42:40 »
Maxkey seems to have more or less settled down for production, time to revive the thread?

I'd love to, sadly zFrontier are yet to give me anything to update with via email, I messaged them last on the 12th, I'm gonna add one of their staff on discord and see where things go from there, hopefully they're faster to respond there

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 20:10:51 »
I think I'll add an appropriate "bump" here now :P

soon™

Offline lewis.ridden

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 01:18:24 »
I think I'll add an appropriate "bump" here now :P

soon™

<3 <3 <3

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 07:04:27 »
Nice set. Hope you can add green tilde and backslash keys for symmetrical color  :)

Offline EvergreenTree

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 08:04:03 »
Yes please.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 09:46:52 »
Nice set. Hope you can add green tilde and backslash keys for symmetrical color  :)

We'll be looking at the kit based off Maxkeys' support once I hear back. Right now there's actually a holiday going on in China, so after that ends well be able to get an idea on what all can be updated.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 10:02:30 »
You know me and green... will buy.

Offline saucybulgogi

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 14:00:29 »
You think the color of the alphas would look nice on a white board? Just got in on the unigo66 in pearl white. Wonder what keycaps would pair well with it