Author Topic: Vertical Mechanical Keyboard?  (Read 3902 times)

Offline simplisity

Vertical Mechanical Keyboard?
« on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 09:56:15 »
Hi Everyone:

First post here.  I currently use the SafeType http://safetype.com/ keyboard, which I really like for its ergonomic design.  However, I was hoping to find something similar, but with mechanical keyswitches.  Does anyone know if that exists?  If not, does anyone know where I could get one custom made?

Offline Linkbane

Re: Vertical Mechanical Keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 10:32:33 »
Take a look at the YogiType.
Here it is.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 15:39:30 »
What's the point of printing the caps? You can't see the thing anyway.

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 18:54:41 »
Try ergodox. its kinda at an angle

Visit the Typing Test and try![/sigpic]

Offline jeffgran

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 23:59:43 »
Here it is.

Does it have mechanical switches? I thought it was some kind of weird capacitive touch-switches or scissor switches or something. It's hard to tell from their site...

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 02:29:09 »
Both that one and Yogitype are angled vertical and neither use mechanical switches. Interesting design, what's with the backward printed number and functions? Are you supposed to use a mirror to see them? And the left thumb "space bar" is probably more useful as a Shift than Backspace, but at least it has a different function! It's irritating to me that the strongest digits do the least work on a "normal" keyboard.

ErgoDox or the unreleased Nexus (AcidFire's current project) would be your best bet, IMHO. You can make mounts to get them vertical if you want, although it's probably best to use them at a lesser angle in terms of optimal ergonomics. They both use mechanical switches and thumb keys. They also use vertically staggered columns which is much more ergonomic than horizontal stagger.

Another option would be one of the contoured Kinesis models. They have keywells and thumb keys, but are closer to flat than vertical.

Vertical is too close to maximum supination, just as flat on the table is too close to maximum pronation. Somewhere in between is best IMHO.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 02:34:28 »

Offline simplisity

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 11:34:37 »
Both that one and Yogitype are angled vertical and neither use mechanical switches. Interesting design, what's with the backward printed number and functions? Are you supposed to use a mirror to see them? And the left thumb "space bar" is probably more useful as a Shift than Backspace, but at least it has a different function! It's irritating to me that the strongest digits do the least work on a "normal" keyboard.

ErgoDox or the unreleased Nexus (AcidFire's current project) would be your best bet, IMHO. You can make mounts to get them vertical if you want, although it's probably best to use them at a lesser angle in terms of optimal ergonomics. They both use mechanical switches and thumb keys. They also use vertically staggered columns which is much more ergonomic than horizontal stagger.

Another option would be one of the contoured Kinesis models. They have keywells and thumb keys, but are closer to flat than vertical.

Vertical is too close to maximum supination, just as flat on the table is too close to maximum pronation. Somewhere in between is best IMHO.

The Nexus from AcidFire looks perfect.  I will wait to see how that goes.  Thank you.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 17:49:29 »
Oobly, are you sure that the Yogi doesn't use mechanical switches? According to an April 2011 thread, PCB mount Cherry switches were being used, but perhaps it changed in production?
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline hoggy

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 03:50:49 »
I'm pretty sure the prototype had cherry mx, but the production model looks very different, the estimates I've seen for the force required rule out cherry switches.  Looks like it might use scissor switches.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Travellerr

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 14:25:59 »
Here it is.

Is that yogi type with a type of mechanical switch, and holy cow that is so unique and different for a keyboard. I wonder how it is as far as typing experience goes..anyways have you even used it Link?
Leopold FC660C- Realforce 87u 55g- QFR mx Blues

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 15:04:11 »
Here it is.

Is that yogi type with a type of mechanical switch, and holy cow that is so unique and different for a keyboard. I wonder how it is as far as typing experience goes..anyways have you even used it Link?

Haha, I haven't. I plan on getting an ergonomic keyboard at hopefully a reasonable price the next time it comes around, but it's most likely going to be an Ergodox. My mother even gave me $100 towards it specifically during Christmas, so hopefully I can get my hands on one (heh).

Offline wiz

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 22:20:36 »
Maximum supination is with the palms facing the ceiling, +/- 10 degrees. Vertical, palms facing each other, is actually body neutral. Dang hard position to type from, though, which is why you have rearview mirrors on Safe Type, or that complicated LED "x-ray" mechanism on Yogi.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 05:56:51 »
Maximum supination is with the palms facing the ceiling, +/- 10 degrees. Vertical, palms facing each other, is actually body neutral. Dang hard position to type from, though, which is why you have rearview mirrors on Safe Type, or that complicated LED "x-ray" mechanism on Yogi.

It depends on the positions of the other joints, too.

At the position I would type at, my hands go out to max 45 degrees beyond vertical and the same amount or a little less beyond flat. So in the middle is 45 degrees up from flat / down from vertical. Even 15 degrees up from flat provides great relief for the wrists and forearms and a "flatter" board is a lot easier to type on since you can see the keys more easily and are still pressing slightly "downwards" on the keys.

I don't think the production units have MX switches. I can't confirm that, though, as I don't own one.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.