Author Topic: I just got a Kensington Slimblade...  (Read 49127 times)

Offline pyro

I just got a Kensington Slimblade...
« on: Tue, 24 April 2012, 16:47:14 »
... and I like it quite a lot. The buttons are easy to press (left click with thumb - finally!) and the Trackballworks software allows to remap them to almost anything, although it misses a setting to increase the scrollevents/rotation ratio. Scrolling (rotating the ball horizontally) can easily be done using only one finger. I love the sound that it produces, it's like fine tuning a delicate mechanical instrument. Also, my concerns, it would not allow fast enough mouse movement for lack of dpi, were unfounded.

I tried two other devices before the Slimblade, namely the Wacom Bomboo Pen and Touch and the Logitech Wireless Touchpad. While I deeply disliked the Wacom tablet, because it fails so very badly in almost every way possible, i found the Logitech Touchpad te be quite pleasant. It looks chubby in pictures, but actually it's pretty nice. Unfortunately its buttons were hard to press (*YES! I measured!!1) and felt kind of springy, and Logitech's drivers aren't as configurable as Synaptics'(**). Lastly, barely noticeable: input lag. Not a deal-breaker for me (***), but still a slight turn-off in the first few minutes.

So I'm going to stick with the Slimblade, which probably also is more ergonomical, since my wrist moves less using it.

* It took a whole brown cherry spring + slight force to actuate, while my Logitech G9's and the Slimblade's buttons actuated just before the spring was completely compressed.
** Most laptop touchpads are made by them.
*** not a big shooter fan and probably would've used my mouse for that anyway

Offline pyro

Re: I just got a Kensington Slimblade...
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 05:02:48 »
Thought I'd update this to say I sold the Slimblade after using it for 2 months and instead repaired my mouse (a Logitech G9 in which I put Omron D2F-F switches, which take less force to actuate). I couldn't navigate as fast with the Slimblade as with the mouse.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 16:34:44 »
What was your main issue with the slimblade?  Do you think it is trackballs in general or this specific one?
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline pyro

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 16:00:26 »
When I increased the pointer speed to a comfortable level the cursor jumped 4 pixel at a time. Additionally the button placement was weird, I was only comfortable using the bottom left (thumb) and top right button (ring finger). The bottom right I would have needed to use with the pinky and top left just couldn't be used, because my first and middle finger were already occupied with the trackball. Also, while scrolling by rotating the ball horizontally is fun, it doesn't compare to the free spinning wheel on my G9.

I think a desktop trackpad by Synaptics could be a nice alternative. Their windows drivers enable you to flick the cursor around, so you can make a quick gesture on the trackpad and the cursor slides in that direction, until it hits the screen border (or bounces off of it). But I don't think there is one.

ps
To answer your question, I think trackballs all require you to bend you wrist upwards, and for that reason alone I'd prefer a mouse.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 July 2012, 16:17:33 by pyro »

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 16:42:16 »
I'm with you on button placement. Bottom left top right is how I did my mouse1/2. Everything else felt awkward. I went back to my thumb operated MTO after about 6 months on a Slimblade. I'll also say that I prefer the CST over a Slimblade when it comes to index finger operated trackballs. Better button placement, with modular mouse4/5 support (assuming you have the more expensive model). Also mechanical rollers over ruby bearings

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 20:25:16 »
I had a similar problem with my Expert Mouse. When using it my hands didn't bend back comfortably when set on a flat table and the wrist rest made it even worse. A few modifications and now I wouldn't go back to a mouse.
1719-01721-1
It is probably slower than a mouse but I'm not to fast at anything these days.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 21:05:27 »
That's so cool. Looks like wood, but I can't tell for sure from the picture. Did you make it yourself?
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline kurplop

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 21:32:42 »
Yes I did. Thanks for the complement. Most people just look with a puzzled stare and ask me if I didn't have something better to do. What would we do without the Fellowship of the Geekhacks?

Good guess about the wood. It's made out of some 8/4 alder I had laying around. It feels great having everything at the right height and the right slope for my tired out old body.

Offline braaaiiins

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 22:18:45 »
Nice command center!

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 11:29:48 »
that is awesome kurplop

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 11:51:08 »
Woah... that's awesome. Inspiring, even.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 13:10:51 »
Did you flip the spacebars on your TE?

Offline kurplop

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 20:59:06 »
No, that's the way they came. Isn't that normal?

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 20:15:47 »
On this matter can anyone tell me the exact measurement of the ball on the Slimblade? I don't have the proper tools to measure it and the reason why I am asking is because I am looking to purchase an Aramith Pool Ball to use in it.

Also is there a company or can anyone inform me of a way I could install Ceramic Bearings in the Slimblade?

Offline repeat.spacer

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 07:15:50 »
I had a similar problem with my Expert Mouse. When using it my hands didn't bend back comfortably when set on a flat table and the wrist rest made it even worse. A few modifications and now I wouldn't go back to a mouse.
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

What keyboard is in the picture? Haven't seem before (yes i'm new XD) looks quite nice.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 07:32:16 »
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

What keyboard is in the picture? Haven't seem before (yes i'm new XD) looks quite nice.

It's a Truly Ergonomic Keyboard. I removed the palm rest to fit in the custom tray. I liked the keyboard a lot more than the company.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 00:34:28 »
When I increased the pointer speed to a comfortable level the cursor jumped 4 pixel at a time. Additionally the button placement was weird, I was only comfortable using the bottom left (thumb) and top right button (ring finger). The bottom right I would have needed to use with the pinky and top left just couldn't be used, because my first and middle finger were already occupied with the trackball. Also, while scrolling by rotating the ball horizontally is fun, it doesn't compare to the free spinning wheel on my G9.

I think a desktop trackpad by Synaptics could be a nice alternative. Their windows drivers enable you to flick the cursor around, so you can make a quick gesture on the trackpad and the cursor slides in that direction, until it hits the screen border (or bounces off of it). But I don't think there is one.

ps
To answer your question, I think trackballs all require you to bend you wrist upwards, and for that reason alone I'd prefer a mouse.

I know that this is an old thread, but I was looking for reviews on the slimblade. I agree with your point about the trackballs bending the wrists upwards. Although I believe that the idea is that you float your hand above. I believe that the Slimblade is not as bad in this aspect as the Expert; although the Expert has quite a following.

Since you are so accustomed to a mouse, have you thought about the thumb operated ones like the M570? I have been using one for years and it has been brilliant.