Author Topic: TypeMatrix keyboard  (Read 16403 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
TypeMatrix keyboard
« on: Tue, 28 August 2007, 13:35:44 »
I doubt there are are many keyboards i would HATE more than this one.  Checkout the TypeMatrix website.  

Man, that's a horrific key layout.  Buy hey, I've never used it so I guess I can't knock it.   :roll:

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 August 2007, 23:54:15 »
A genuine bargain at $110 + 5 shipping!

Offline waddleman

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 22:17:34 »
Actually my Manager has this model in Dvorak and loves it.

Offline watduzhkstand4

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 23:10:32 »
I don't understand how you can possibly like that keyboard. the keys from the row above and the row below is directly under or on top of each other. This will be annoying to get used to. Also, do they use scissor switches? The key travel doesn't seem to be too long looking at the keyboard.
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 23:28:16 »
I have always wanted to try a non-staggered keyboard. As none of my fingers meet an actual key when they row forward and back. They all hit between keys.
I must admit though that keyboard makes my eyes cross! :S
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 August 2009, 08:29:20 »
That is a retarded keyboard. I'd rather use the On-Screen Keyboard with MouseKeys than that.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Rajagra

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 August 2009, 14:38:27 »
Quote from: iMav;56962
Man, that's a horrific key layout. :roll:

Wow, that layout is nearly as whacky as the one this crazy fool has bought! :wink:

Offline o2dazone

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 August 2009, 14:43:59 »
that TRON button better pop out a Light Bike

Offline cmr

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 August 2009, 14:44:38 »

obligatory maltron

Offline rdjack21

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 August 2009, 16:27:20 »
The more details you show of that tron the more I want one.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline Shawn Stanford

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 August 2009, 17:21:01 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;112815
I don't understand how you can possibly like that keyboard. the keys from the row above and the row below is directly under or on top of each other. This will be annoying to get used to. Also, do they use scissor switches? The key travel doesn't seem to be too long looking at the keyboard.

Well, someone pointed out in a recent 'rearrange my keyboard' thread that it made little sense for the fingers on the left hand to reach outward when the natural motion in inward...
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline watduzhkstand4

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 August 2009, 23:08:13 »
that maltron board looks mad weird lol
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline MsKeyboard

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 29 August 2009, 23:50:29 »
I actually used a TypeMatrix board for awhile.  Not as hard to get used to as one would think.  The keys being in a non-staggered layout actually worked out pretty good, once you got the hang of it.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 00:52:25 »
Quote from: webwit;112951
TRON mode..

You switch operating systems, and the keyboard switches from QWERTY to Dvorak? Isn't that a little gratuitous?

Offline JBert

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 08:25:49 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;113044
that maltron board looks mad weird lol
That's because it's a one-handed model, in this case for the left hand.

@OP: It would make sense to have non-staggered keys if the left and right hand key blocks are rotated, like Maltron does.

@MsKeyboard: so how much do you twist your wrists to align your fingers? I'm just wondering if this keyboard might even cause more RSI if its improperly used.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline MsKeyboard

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 11:46:55 »
JBert,
I wouldn't say that I twisted my wrists to use that board.  As you see from the diagram, the main letter key areas are separated by placing some of your larger, more often used keys in the middle, effectively pushing your hand placement further apart.
Like I said, it was a little different getting used to the layout, but once your hands knew what they were doing it was actually pretty good.
I would also have to add that shoulder width is a factor that many people do not consider when thinking about their keyboard.  The ability to spread the left and right side of the keyboard apart based distinctly on your physical dimensions is a bigger benefit than often perceived.  You will notice that this is one common design element among most of your "true" ergonomic boards.
Hope that helps..........Later

Offline Rajagra

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 September 2009, 10:10:50 »
I just got a Typematrix 2030 fairly cheap off ebay. It's quite easy to adjust to, my main mistakes are hitting V instead of C and Enter instead of B, it's hard to unlearn the excessive stretching you do on a normal board.

The middle Enter and Backspace keys are quite a stretch for me too - it's just something new that you need to get used to I suppose.

The only thing I really miss is the CapsLock key!!! I remap it to act as Backspace and I've grown rather dependent on it. :-)

The board has some really good features. Lots of keys have nubs or vertical ridges so you can feel your way around easily. The "Num" key is not NumLock (though the board has that too.) "Num" activates the built-in number pad. A bit like the model M spacesaver from what I've read.

I'd like to see the silver plate on the left disappear, for a tidier appearance.
What I'd love to see though, is a Trackpoint on the blank area under the space bar. It's almost like it was designed to have one there.

Overall it is a great keyboard. If it didn't use scissor switches I'd recommend it to anyone. As it is, well, you know if you like scissors or not.

My dilemma now - do I learn Dvorak to make the most of the built-in layout? (I'm already a Colemak man.)

Offline JBert

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 September 2009, 12:52:15 »
I still wonder how you position your hands on it and how much it changes your hand and finder travel. After all, the old key arrangement works decently for your right hand.
Are there some pictures or guidelines in the manual?

As for your dilemma: according to the carpalX website, colemak is somewhat more balanced than dvorak with regard to hand usage.
I don't know what the advantages of the typematrix are for dvorak usage. Have you got one with hardware dvorak?

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline Rajagra

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 September 2009, 14:54:19 »
It actually feels very natural after a short time. You have an extra 3/4" hand separation over a normal keyboard, which is quite subtle. The right hand adjusts quickly to the non-staggered layout. The left hand/bottom row is where you need to ease off the stretching that you've learned on staggered boards. I'm struggling with that middle backspace key though. Might have to remap something to fix that.

The manual mainly just describes what the keys do.

Yes it has hardware Dvorak. Could be handy on work machines where you can't use software for any reason. I don't think my brain can store 3 layouts though.

This image is from their website:
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 September 2009, 14:58:00 by Rajagra »

Offline JBert

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 September 2009, 09:05:55 »
Thanks for the picture. It doesn't look that "comfy" though, as you still seems to bring your wrists together.

I don't know whether I could use one with problems... I guess I'll have to watch Ebay should I ever want to try one.

The storage list:

[/SIZE]

Offline justin

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 September 2009, 18:10:00 »
Actually, this keyboard is logically superior to our staggered layouts. If you had typed on this logical grid layout all your life, and were forced to type on a staggered board, you'd think it was a ridiculous idea to stagger the keys. As for the ergonomics, I guess that may be subjective. Both arrangements have their merits.

Offline mech

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 September 2009, 19:43:38 »
I bought a DvortyBoard before they switched to reselling the TypeMatrix.  That thing had some of the crappiest dome/membrane keys I ever felt... at least this one is scissors (right?).  I can tolerate those much better.  An affordable hardware-Dvorak mechanical board would be great...

Have you done any comparative speed tests?  Are you goofing up with Enter/Shift and other keys that are placed differently?

BS: IBM Model M 1391401 (1989) & Lexmark-made IBM Model M from 1991
Cherry MX Blue: Das Keyboard II/G80
Black ALPS: Dell AT101W (2)

Offline Rajagra

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 22 September 2009, 02:07:13 »
Yes it uses scissor switches. They aren't bad, but I noticed the space bar can miss if it isn't pushed firmly. To be fair that's probably because I'm getting used to light switches that don't need to be bottomed out.

The enter key isn't too hard to reach. The trick for me is to aim low down on the key, that way it's quite comfortable.

There would be no point my doing speed tests - I'm used to having a backspace next to my left pinkie, so I get completely thrown without that.

But that is the only part of the layout I find difficult. Normal typing - bashing away at letter keys - actually feels pretty normal after a few minutes adapting. The arrow keys are easy to find thanks to various bumps and ridges on some of the keys.

It's quite enjoyable. I almost wish I didn't have other keyboards to keep me away from it. It's an awesome layout for anyone who makes it their main keyboard and can get the most out of it.

Offline mech

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 22 September 2009, 06:43:39 »
Hmm.  Considering the keys aren't staggered, the Fn-accessible num pad would actually be fine to use.  I also really like the extra set of arrow keys, also Fn-accessible, right on the home row.  That's the only downer using vim and Dvorak - hjkl are all over the place.  This would solve that.

BS: IBM Model M 1391401 (1989) & Lexmark-made IBM Model M from 1991
Cherry MX Blue: Das Keyboard II/G80
Black ALPS: Dell AT101W (2)

Offline Martina

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 11:07:57 »
Hello,

Quote from: iMav;56962
I doubt there are are many keyboards i would HATE more than this one.

Why are here so many negative opinions about this keyboard? I found almost none on other sites, so I'm curious.

I'm looking for a new keyboard(to relieve my CTS/RSI) and I have narrowed my choice down to TypeMatrix 2030 and Kinesis Advantage. I'd also like to switch from QWERTY to Dvorak.

For those who have tried both of these keyboards - which one do you find better and why?

Thanks for your advice,

Martina

Offline eMps

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 11:52:46 »
A non-staggered layout makes much more sense than the incredibly nonsensical 1/2, 1/4, 1/2 crap we're used to.
Colemak since Jan. 10, 2011

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 12:41:18 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

I've got a old 2020 and an Advantage.

After you've got used to it, the Kinesis is amazingly comfortable.  

Reasons to chose the Advantage
The separation between the hands is much larger than the typematrix - reduces the bending at the wrists.  
Scalloping of the keys feels very natural
Mechanical switches (cherry brown) - long life
Programmable - in firmware.  You can remap the capslock to backspace.
If you type in Dvorak, you don't have to select it every time you reboot your computer.
You can get a footpedal hooked up to it.

Reasons to chose the 2030
Cheaper
Smaller
All keys feel the same (the Advantage has some not very nice function keys)

I can't recommend the Advantage enough.

Both will take a little while to get used to.

I'd recommend the switch to Dvorak, but sometimes I wonder if I would have had an easier time switching to Colemak.

Have a look at your mouse too.  There are a few vertical mice out there that might help you.

Quote from: Martina;279423
Hello,

Why are here so many negative opinions about this keyboard? I found almost none on other sites, so I'm curious.

I'm looking for a new keyboard(to relieve my CTS/RSI) and I have narrowed my choice down to TypeMatrix 2030 and Kinesis Advantage. I'd also like to switch from QWERTY to Dvorak.

For those who have tried both of these keyboards - which one do you find better and why?

Thanks for your advice,

Martina
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 January 2011, 12:44:08 by hoggy »
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline noctua

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 13:09:11 »
I type very comfortable with non-staggered resp. matrix like (colemak) layout. My is an
self-built keyboard, not a shiny one, more in sense of ergonomic research..

Selfmade Keyboard I (done)
DT225 CH Trackball

Selfmade Keyboard II (95% completed)
L-Trac CST2545W-RC Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline Lanx

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 13:16:27 »
i'm sold on a matrix layout.

Hello,

Thanks for your advice,

Martina
If your looking for a place with good ergonomic suggestions and advice for rsi/cts I wouldn't say this is the place, but I haven't really tried to find a better place really to talk about ergonomics, what I have found out about ergonomics has been cool and I've been trying to put these advances into my current mod, so that's cool, but really not much talk about anything else ergonomic related.

Offline msiegel

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 13:16:44 »
hey noctua, do you have more pics of your custom board? :)

i looked for a thread in Modifications, but the only pic i'm finding is in your photo album

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline lowpoly

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 13:35:42 »
Someone already said it, the two halves are too close together. With a conventional layout you can type with straight wrists with your hands close together. Ergo manufacturers used pics that showed bent wrists with conventional 'boards when it - in some cases - is just the opposite.

This kind of pic:

Quote from: eMps;279436
A non-staggered layout makes much more sense than the incredibly nonsensical 1/2, 1/4, 1/2 crap we're used to.
Only if the separation is enough, i.e. your lower arms are parallel or nearly parallel.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 January 2011, 13:38:39 by lowpoly »

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline noctua

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 14:47:49 »
Quote from: msiegel;279470
hey noctua, do you have more pics of your custom board? :)

i looked for a thread in Modifications, but the only pic i'm finding is in your photo album

i plan to create an thread... and of course i have some more pictures :)
this prototype is since six months my main board, since i switched to
colemak..
DT225 CH Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline Keymonger

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 15:07:55 »

This is total nonsense. No one says you should force your wrists and fingers to follow the line of the keys. Unfortunately I found this out AFTER I bought a Microsoft Ergo 4000. It's still bad to have hands so close together, but wrist-bending like this is not necessary at all.

Offline Keymonger

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 15:10:03 »
Quote from: noctua;279464
I type very comfortable with non-staggered resp. matrix like (colemak) layout. My is an
self-built keyboard, not a shiny one, more in sense of ergonomic research..

Show Image

My God.... it's..... it's beautiful.

Offline Martina

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 18:19:47 »
Quote from: hoggy;279452
I can't recommend the Advantage enough.

I see that you have tried a lot of ergo keyboards - is Advantage your 'most recommended' (commercially available) keyboard? Have you problems with CTS/RSI?

Quote from: hoggy;279452
Have a look at your mouse too. There are a few vertical mice out there that might help you.

Currently I'm using Logitech trackball (just for cursor movement with my thumb) and 2 mouses duct taped on the floor - for left and right clicks with my feet. I think that it has lessened my CTS pain. I might take a further look at mouses after I choose my keyboard.

Quote from: lowpoly;279477
Someone already said it, the two halves are too close together. With a conventional layout you can type with straight wrists with your hands close together.

And with non-staggered layout you can't?

The biggest weakness(the only one?) seems to be that the wrists would be bended while using TypeMatrix. Is this a big deal?
I'm wondering why they have not made a splittable version.

Thanks for all responses..

Offline Lanx

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 18:31:03 »
imo, the only thing the typematrix has going for it is a matrix layout, otherwise it's seemingly flat and non angled in everyway, pretty much will make you bend your wrists in every uncomfortable way possible.
don't get me wrong a staggered layout will do the same, any 104 keyboard will make your wrists bend uncomfortably, does it matter for ppl who don't have an issue? no it does not.
BUT for people who are having cts/rsi issues, a split ergo keyboard usually meants a 45 degreeish tilt along the split, this mostly does away with the super bent wrist, or they make your hands go all the way out shoulder length wise, ala kinesis.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 18:37:27 »
The TypeMatrix and Kinesis Contoured are very different animals. Not an equal comparison. They share a similar layout feature, that's about it.

Try to use both to see what feels better to make a better decision.

There is a cost difference, but your health is definitely worth the added cost if you do any amount of typing other than a few emails/internet searches a day. RSI can be nasty stuff. Kinesis has a 60 day return policy, or you can always buy used and resell if it's not working out for you.

NOCTUA: I definitely second the "Post your mod info!" I would love to see what you started with, and the process you are going through.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 January 2011, 18:39:57 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 16:17:14 »
Quote from: Martina;279582
I see that you have tried a lot of ergo keyboards - is Advantage your 'most recommended' (commercially available) keyboard? Have you problems with CTS/RSI?

My problems stem from the neck/shoulder area, any problems in the wrist are referred.

The advantage is clearly my favourite, but what works for me might not work for you.    

If Kinesis offer a 60 return, then I think it makes sense to start with them.  It will take you at least a few weeks to get used to it - even without switching to dvorak.  The more work you expect to get on it in the first week will only add to your stress levels.  Pick an easy week to start with.

The biggest thing that works for me is change.  I tend to change keyboards at least once a day.  

Other 'boards you could try -

Mechanical
Maltron - similar to the Kinesis, but costs more.  I hired one for a month and I loved it.

Rubber domes (don't last very long in comparison).
Goldtouch - feels nice and is quiet.
Kinesis freestyle - offers a lot of flexibility. Accessories aren't cheap.

Comfort - feels 'orrid, very fiddly to set up and is very expensive.  Just don't (again just my opinion).

If it helps - the switches in the Advantage should last 50 million keystrokes - the Typematrix should last 10 million.  Cost per day or week for either of these is pretty much nothing.

Are you taking rest breaks?  It sounds like you've made some changes already...

Offline Martina

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 19:17:44 »
Quote from: Lanx;279584
imo, the only thing the typematrix has going for it is a matrix layout

What about the backspace and enter key rearangement and larger shift(in home row)? I guess this is also beneficial..

Quote from: hoggy;280038
I tend to change keyboards at least once a day.

Isn't it problematic to swith between matrix and stagerred layouts?
And I do take breaks - I have an outlook appointment that reminds me every hour...

BTW I sent an email to Typematrix support asking them why don't they make a splittable version. I hope they don't mind if I post their reply:

We do know that a split keyboard would be another version of our keyboard that would have more benefits.* However, "why" we don't do this is because we cannot afford to do it right now.* Such a model would cost at least twice as much as the current 2030 to make because it would have two different parts rather than one.* We are looking for further funding that would allow us to make several different models of the TypeMatrix design.

Considering that even they agree that splittable keyboard would be beneficial, I'll go probably with Advantage. (And buy TypeMatrix splittable model when it becomes available)

Do we also agree that:

-matrix layout is better than staggered?
-Dvorak is better than QWERTY?
(for CTS/RSI)

Offline Lanx

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 20:16:31 »
Quote from: Martina;280115
What about the backspace and enter key rearangement and larger shift(in home row)? I guess this is also beneficial..

I've modded my board to include a center return/enter key, I barely use it because i've had muscle memory to use the regular return key (i have both options). Plus it's just so "far" away but i do have a modded split ergo, that might be the difference as well, typematrix is not ergo split.

I played around with vertical shift for a while, it seemed "nice" but it'd only be useful to me if i could implement it on both sides. True i don't use caps lock, but on the right side vertical is a problem, the " or quotes is regularly there, but that's me i do not want to relearn keys i'm keeping everything the same muscle memory i've had for 5 years (using a ms ergo 4k), so it looks good if you are willing to relearn.

Do we also agree that:

(for CTS/RSI)

I've never thought, dvorak or colemak or any other other layout is better versus the other. My thinking is that your going to be using all fingers practically all the time when your typing, it's not like you get cts or rsi from too many aqzqazqaz, get get cts/rsi from many other factors that contribute to rsi/cts. Will it help? it might, it might have the same line of thought as rotating your tires, you rotate your tires cuz one side gets worn out more than the other (i don't know which), but you do it to even out the wear and tear. This is what i think dvorak/colemak try to do, put more wear and tear on your "strong" fingers. So if your rsi/cts stems from wrist/forearm pain i think it'd help more than if you had bad posture pain.

+1 for matrix vs staggered.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 01:37:03 »

Isn't it problematic to swith between matrix and stagerred layouts?
And I do take breaks - I have an outlook appointment that reminds me every hour...

BTW I sent an email to Typematrix support asking them why don't they make a splittable version. I hope they don't mind if I post their reply:

Considering that even they agree that splittable keyboard would be beneficial, I'll go probably with Advantage. (And buy TypeMatrix splittable model when it becomes available)

Do we also agree that:

(for CTS/RSI)

Quite a few of us remap the caps lock to backspace.  It's a pain to dance around with both shift keys sometimes - but that's rare.  Using the caps lock means you can backspace and not lose your position on the home keys - pretty handy if you work on different layouts.

As for switching, my step dad used to work as a car driver and would drive at least 3 different cars a week.  He was very comfortable driving left or right hand drive and manual or automatic.  It takes me days to get used to another car and feel comfortable driving it - because I rarely drive another car.  Since I switch often, I can switch often.  

Whichever keyboard you go for, stick with it all the time until you get used to it - don't cheat for a while with a standard layout - it'll drag out the acclimatisation.

Overall, the switching between staggered/matrix layouts has slowed my typing speed down a bit, but the improvement in comfort makes it worth the while.  

If typematrix ever bring out the splitable keyboard - I'd buy one as well.

I switched to Dvorak a while ago.  I find it quite comfy compared to Qwerty, but I had a hard time adapting.  Others here have reported a much easier transition.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 01:38:30 »
(And buy TypeMatrix splittable model when it becomes available)

You've captured the spirit of these forums right there.

Offline noctua

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 01:56:24 »
in my opinion..

· Nonstaggered resp. matrix like layout, are easier to learn and to handle.
  · Splitted keyboard allows my arms do become an more natural pose.
  · It exist no "perfect" layout, but i can reduced my finger travel, with some of them.
  · Kinesis has clear some design failures, these are thumb and pinky related,     compared to the Maltron.
  . Last but not least, our wrists feel comfortable if these can type in an angled pose, see the Maltron.

the typematrix keyboard, should become an splittable version.
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline Martina

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 09:43:35 »
Thanks for all opinions, I'll go for the Advantage.

Quote from: Lanx;280131
I've never thought, dvorak or colemak or any other other layout is better versus the other.

Isn't less travel distance better (for CTS/RSI)?

What mouse/trackball do you use with Kinesis Advantage? I think that trackball on the side(my current setup) would cause a little discomfort..

Would it be a problem if I buy a QWERTY Advantage and would like to use it with dvorak layout? (haven't found dvorak model in the UK)
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 January 2011, 10:12:56 by Martina »

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 11:32:59 »
Quote from: Martina;280362

Would it be a problem if I buy a QWERTY Advantage and would like to use it with dvorak layout? (haven't found dvorak model in the UK)

Just press and hold program and then hold shift and then tap f5 - release all of the keys - the board will then be in dvorak mode.

You're probably better off without the correct labels on the keys anyway.

Offline tarc

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 26 January 2011, 15:00:40 »
I've been using a 2030 for three months now.
I quickly adapted to the aligned layout and I find it comfortable to type with.

I do graphic stuff, my hands stays to the left area of the keyboard often (other hand being on mouse or wacom). Having delete, backspace and return keys in the middle of the keyboard reduce hand travel.

This also mean less looking down at the keyboard to find those keys at the other side of the keyboard, less head and neck traveling.

I dislike the position of the fn key, too used having having ctrl on the lower left. Also the fact that many special key are hard to remap.

I liked the key action of my previous cherry compact keyboard better though.

Offline gilgam

TypeMatrix keyboard
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 26 January 2011, 16:47:57 »
I found the space bar quite hard and often write without space between words.
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech