Author Topic: Google Chrome Notebook (CR-48)  (Read 29645 times)

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook (CR-48)
« on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 12:32:36 »
I had a package waiting on me but did not know what it was.  There was no company information on the shipping label, and inside was a strange and cartoony box.  Once I opened it though, I remembered the program application I had filled out a couple of days before, never thinking it would actually happen to me...

There are no markings whatsoever on the outside of this laptop, it is great.  The plastic is very soft, it feels almost rubbery.  The build quality feels very good for what it is.

The battery is very wide/deep, but thin.  I'm glad to see this direction, like Apple has done, instead of using the mass-produced cylindrical battery cells in laptops.

A single VGA port on the left, a single USB port, SD card reader, and headphone jack on the right.  That's it.  Very PURE, but not a whole lot going on here.  No ethernet port, even.  This thing really is meant JUST for internet-using hipsters.

The thing feels as thin or thinner than most netbooks, but that might be because of the size.

When I lifted the lid, it turned on automatically... but I hadn't even plugged it in yet, ruining my battery calibration!

Neat LEDs integrated in the keys, like the power button/key.

Single, wide hinge... just the way it should be.  Look at the size of that Alt key!

The touchpad is BIG.  As I was typing this out, I was starting to rag on how it reminded me of HP's new touchpads... two hidden clickers at the bottom instead of a large single click.  I'm not a fan of one mouse button, but I'm glad to say this is at least NOT like an HP... in other words, I can click anywhere on the pad.  This actually makes sense.  The Alt key I mentioned before seems to work like a right click modifier, it is not the same as an Alt-click in Windows.  For example, Alt-click on a webpage brings up the familiar Back/Forward/etc menu.

EDIT just found out, two fingers right clicks, and I can scroll with two fingers... SUCCESS!
[strike]I'm having a hard time breaking my habit of tapping to click, but time will help.[/strike]  EDIT it's there, but just not very sensitive.

I can't emphasize how quickly this thing started.  In literally a couple of seconds, tops, I was being greeted by the Gnome-esque setup.

And then right after that, I'm thrown straight into a Chrome browser window.  This is the OS interface, I suppose.

The screen does not have much resolution, likely on purpose (and for cost reasons).  The viewing angle is quite poor.  At least it's matte without an overaggressive anti-glare finish.

Nice charging LED,

Keyboard,

Size relationship / "the way the replaced Ctrl key should have been"

I didn't even realize that I get a free 100mb/month of Verizon 3G, amazing!  This is going to be more useful than I thought!
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 December 2010, 23:13:49 by AndrewZorn »

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 12:42:48 »
F1-F12 replaced by only 10 media keys.

The keyboard, other than the previously mentioned downfalls, is actually pretty nice to type on.  The keys are very wide and smooth, not as easy to accidentally press as most laptop keyboards.  I just don't see why a Search button has to be closer to my fingers than Backspace... come on guys.

Unfortunately this isn't powerful enough to play Robot Unicorn Attack smoothly (though it's a bit better than my phone, which shouldn't be saying a lot).  There goes 90% of its intended usage.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 December 2010, 12:49:05 by AndrewZorn »

Offline instantkamera

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 12:50:14 »
tight. So long apple.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline RoboKrikit

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 12:50:51 »
Cool!  I filled out an application a few days ago too.
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline instantkamera

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 12:57:52 »
can Canadians play too?
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 13:02:38 »
They are actually giving away 60,000 of these (or so I read).  That's way way way more than I thought.  Maybe it isn't too late to still try for one.

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 13:14:13 »
Quote from: ripster;260810
ARSteknica first looks here.
If I had just picked this up when it was delivered, I would have beat all the big sites to an unboxing.  Seriously.  I've just learned how much even 100k-view Youtube videos can earn, too.

It's okay though, when I take this thing out on the TOWN tonight, no one will have seen it before!  (but more than likely, no one will notice/care)

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 13:21:40 »

OH MAN HERE IT IS (IN ALL CAPS TO DEMONSTRATE MY ENTHUSIASM)

EVEN WINDOWS CANNOT FIGURE THIS OUT
THIS IS THE GREATEST OS EVER NOW
PERIOD
THE END

Offline PikachuDX

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 13:34:11 »
z!oEjqtH#%qCp}xAKm;KA^2@(P$c'28nXM8cxh)_4phQ$j^tc+
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 June 2023, 05:44:41 by PikachuDX »

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 13:45:40 »
I have no idea how to test for that in this environment.  If you have a website or something I'd be glad to check it.

Offline itlnstln

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 13:54:35 »
I just applied as a business user.  We'll see what happens.

Offline itlnstln

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 13:55:31 »
Quote from: ripster;260843
See if that Google Search button sends a scancode.

I bet it does if the OS does "stuff" when the button is pressed.

Offline RoboKrikit

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 13:59:56 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;260825

OH MAN HERE IT IS (IN ALL CAPS TO DEMONSTRATE MY ENTHUSIASM)

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4480/img0036sul.jpg

EVEN WINDOWS CANNOT FIGURE THIS OUT
THIS IS THE GREATEST OS EVER NOW
PERIOD
THE END

Sweet.

That is actually doable out of the box in OS X also.  Just sayin'.
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 14:00:46 »
Quote from: ripster;260854
There isn't an App for That?

I guess my AAPL stock is safe.

Speaking of that, the "apps" are laughable.  I was expecting something like the Android market.  In actuality, it's just a list of bookmarks that takes you to places like Google Maps, Google Docs, Youtube, etc...

Hilarious.

EDIT okay not all of them are like this.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 December 2010, 14:10:29 by AndrewZorn »

Offline PikachuDX

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 14:02:07 »
}3#[ko]1bBT_s[0NtaKLx+$X;Yr&4i'TzNL^Xfy+U[b9Ai(%,,
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 June 2023, 05:44:32 by PikachuDX »

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 14:03:18 »
Quote from: PikachuDX;260865
Do you have to send it back or anything once you're done testing it?

Silly question, I know.

No.

At least, I didn't even bother investigating too much to assume Google doesn't want peoples' nasty used crap.

Offline itlnstln

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 14:04:29 »
It seems like the notebook, while not "cheap" per se, was designed with very low cost in mind for "permanent loan."

Offline PikachuDX

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 14:05:01 »
}3#[ko]1bBT_s[0NtaKLx+$X;Yr&4i'TzNL^Xfy+U[b9Ai(%,,
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 June 2023, 05:44:20 by PikachuDX »

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 14:11:54 »
I was getting ready to rant about the inclusion of a Refresh key without having PageUp/Dn.  Alt+Up/Dn is PageUp/Dn.

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 14:35:03 »
I'm not sure how much this would cost if it were produced just like this.

I can only hope the screen and VGA port are not final.  The screen is really bad.  Workable for the basic stuff, but the viewing angle is so bad that the colors are badly distorted unless your eyes are directly in front of the particular SECTION of the screen you wish to assess.

It's like the pink/blue corners on a large monitor, but on a 12" screen, and more prevalent.

Offline instantkamera

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 14:39:57 »
Thanks for submitting your application! This page confirms that we've received your application, and we're looking forward to reading it. We'll contact you if you've been selected!

I submitted anyway.

Anyone notice the "explain why you deserve this" box seems geared toward the twitter user base?

Offline PikachuDX

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 14:42:19 »
7#YD7TujQCLU}2}L'OxyBy6tayK!AV'.hj3p(d{hQXt7~{_agm
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 June 2023, 05:43:59 by PikachuDX »

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 14:58:13 »
Just filled out the app myself.  

Where is the poll so we can track how prolific the geekhack user base is at convincing Google of their worthiness?  :)

Offline WhiteRice

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 15:28:30 »
son of a *****

;)

Offline iMav

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 16:24:02 »
So, what are the specs??  CPU, ram, hdd??

Offline iMav

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 17:21:36 »
This unboxing video sucks.  I couldn't even watch the whole thing.  How many times does this guy gotta say, "very simple"?  

Annoying.

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 17:25:53 »
They seem to be trying pretty hard to hide the actual specifications.

Honestly, they should be.
People would see something like 1.2ghz Atom, 2gb SSD, 512mb RAM and start whining.  But really these specs are not quite comparable to a Windows-based netbook, as the overhead is far less and this thing is pretty much JUST for internet.

I'm disappointed about Robot Unicorn Attack, though.  Like I said, my phone comes pretty close to the smoothness of this, and I was pretty disappointed with my phone, even compared to other phones.

I'm starting to have the feeling all this is intended.  If the final product is $150 just as is, this would sell like crazy, and be a deal.  If they make the screen better, enhance the speed, etc it will cost as much as a normal netbook (which would still be great, just different).

It would be nice to see a super version of this.  Better specs/screen/etc if some more was allowed in the OS.  The form factor of the computer itself is PERFECT for me.  It's like a cheap and even more compact Macbook.

Oh, and battery life is looking as-advertised (or better) too.  Right now it is reporting 83% with ~8hrs remaining, and this is after ~2hrs of web browsing with streaming music.

I didn't realize the significance of the "standby time" until I actually put it to sleep.  Nothing like Windows (which I've always had Sleep/Hibernate disabled on).  Close the lid, it's in sleep.  Open it, and it will take longer to get your hands back on the home row than it takes to be ready.

I just need to find a way to swap \ and Backspace.

Found the terminal, Ctrl-Alt-T.  Normal Linux commands don't work, unfortunately.  The lack of a file manager is starting to get old.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 December 2010, 17:42:01 by AndrewZorn »

Offline instantkamera

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:17:51 »
yeah I already have a dog-ass slow atom based netbook, and that's with it being a pretty custom arch install. I LOVE free though ...

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:24:55 »
I've found on the internet: 1.5ghz N550 Atom, 8gb SSD (though I've heard 16gb, too).

There's already a wiki for how to unlock it.  Time to get to work.

Also, they're selling for $500 on Ebay.

Track the ones in your city:
http://addicted-gamer.com/cr48-tracker/
I have no idea where this came from or how it works, but if you live somewhere really obscure, it might be worth a look.
According to this, I was the first one in my city (~70k population) with one.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:27:33 by AndrewZorn »

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:25:42 »
All of my envy.

I just called UPS and got the tracking results- delivered and not to my address. None from today's batch are even going to my town. Sigh.

Offline isp

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:26:05 »
:doh:
Sure seems like a step backward to me.  I'm guessing these things will be in the graveyard with PDAs and pagers in a few years.  I am curious what the display's resolution is though.

On the other hand, free is a really good price so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:28:55 by isp »
hhkb

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:30:11 »
It's not intended to be a replacement for every computer you own.

Offline Keymonger

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:31:31 »
Quote from: ripster;260810
ARSteknica first looks here.

The bad

I didn't realize how often I use the caps lock key until I tried to have an IM conversation on the Cr-48. As I was trying to type, the browser would suddenly spawn a new tab, seemingly at random. I thought the software was broken until I realized what was happening: I was hitting caps lock to type acronyms of two or more letters. This was so ingrained that I didn't even realize that I was doing it. Fortunately, there's a Settings option that lets you get the caps lock key back. Whew! I thought I wasn't going to be able to use this laptop.

Seriously?

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:40:29 »
If I wasn't so used to Control on HHKB, I would actually like the Search key, I've decided.  I'm making a conscious effort to use it in its new location (normal control).

It's labelled Search, but really it acts like "New Tab" in Chrome, which, when your OS is nothing BUT Chrome, is a very handy key to have.

So it's not all dumb.

But yeah, I saw the comment too, and can't remember the last time I intended to use Caps Lock.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:44:55 by AndrewZorn »

Offline msiegel

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:43:01 »
XD

caps lock:
because you always gotta type WTF... O_O OMG LOL!! AFK BRB

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:44:30 »
Quote from: isp;261025
:doh:
Sure seems like a step backward to me.  I'm guessing these things will be in the graveyard with PDAs and pagers in a few years.  I am curious what the display's resolution is though.

On the other hand, free is a really good price so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
I have determined the resolution to be 1280x800, thanks for giving me the idea to check.  It's amazing how much conflicting information there is on this thing.

You're thinking about it the wrong way though.  If this was priced the same as a netbook... which is a great thing right now... you trade off overall versatility for some awesome hardware/software innovation and simplicity.  It isn't that fast, my new phone provides much of the same experience this does.  But I would not use my phone, even with hardware keyboard, to type much more than a paragraph.

This thing is going to be awesome for school next semester.  And because of the way Google Docs works, I will never lose something I typed.  I know I can do that on any computer, but the way it's just 'there' (and the only way to do it) on this is really reassuring.  I mean, no more running flash drives around or emailing myself documents.  I made it in Google Docs, it stays there.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:53:09 by AndrewZorn »

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 19:44:17 »
Well, at this point I'm sure I'm not getting one. Google's selection seems arbitrary, either that or they already have sentient AI.

Congrats Andrew, keep us appraised of your thoughts!

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 19:55:49 »
Don't totally abandon hope, I've heard:
- They are making 60,000 of these
- They aren't giving away all of them in the first wave

I know it's free publicity and free software testers, but GIVING AWAY computers, wow.

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 19:58:14 »
Google TV has largely fallen flat because it didn't have any real user testing.

Promotion + getting it in the hands of thee people who will spread the word and improve it = a hell of a smart investment. Everything the OS does gets people to use Google services! It's ingenious. If it gains traction Google has a ton to gain.

Offline CodeChef

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 20:08:51 »
OH MY GOD THERE'S ONE COMING TO MY TOWN OH MY GOD IT MIGHT BE ME!!!

If you get one of these do you get to keep it?
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 20:17:56 »
Google's terms on the application form mention nothing about returning it but do say that you agree to not transfer ownership of the device without permission of Google.

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 20:25:53 »
Andrew, if I may pose one question to you...

What shipping method was used? Not just the carrier, but the specific level of service (UPS Same Day, UPS Next Day Air, UPS Two Day, FedEx, USPS Priority Mail, etc.)?

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 20:26:30 »
Quote from: CodeChef;261070
If you get one of these do you get to keep it?
I'm surprised how much this is asked.  What is Google going to ship them all back, clean them up, and sell them?

No, it is yours if you get one.

Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;261076

What shipping method was used? Not just the carrier, but the specific level of service (UPS Same Day, UPS Next Day Air, UPS Two Day, FedEx, USPS Priority Mail, etc.)?
UPS Next Day for me, but as the tracking link I sent earlier showed, they are moving toward UPS Ground now it looks like.

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 20:27:01 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;261076

UPS Next Day for me, but as the tracking link I sent earlier showed, they are moving toward UPS Ground now it looks like.

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 20:28:15 »
I really hope I get selected :O

I would use it so much...

My handwriting is so bad I learned LaTeX. My stat prof let me type out all my tests on my computer.

EDIT: No new results on the tracker for my town... :|
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 December 2010, 20:31:04 by muchadoaboutnothing »

Offline Daniel Beaver

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 20:34:16 »
Too bad the search and Ctrl key are not the same. Otherwise, I would swap the keycaps. I have gotten very used to using Caps Lock as Ctrl, but I do like the concept of a dedicated search key.

I submitted an application. Maybe I'll get one. I love the look of the hardware, if nothing else.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Phaedrus2129

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 20:58:35 »
How do you see where they're being shipped to?
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline godly_music

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 23:01:08 »
Blah.. us Europeans get shafted.

Offline Asherz

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 03:48:26 »
Looks like a great laptop, great hardware. But I'm not gonna lie I would try and put win7/hackintosh on just because chrome OS would be next to no use to me, all the online programs look really half arsed and couldn't be used for anything more than just actual web browsing really, fine if that's all you wanna do but it just feels like they arn't using the laptop and the potential sales just on design alone to it's full potential. They're appealing to a niche market with a world wide appealing design.

It seems silly for them not to be actually ever selling these laptops, as I understand they're just releasing the software to companies like HP, Acer etc. Let's be honest most people are more interested in the laptop them selves then the actual OS.

Offline AndrewZorn

Google Chrome Notebook
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 07:45:24 »
Quote from: Asherz;261211
Looks like a great laptop, great hardware. But I'm not gonna lie I would try and put win7/hackintosh on just because chrome OS would be next to no use to me, all the online programs look really half arsed and couldn't be used for anything more than just actual web browsing really, fine if that's all you wanna do but it just feels like they arn't using the laptop and the potential sales just on design alone to it's full potential. They're appealing to a niche market with a world wide appealing design.

It seems silly for them not to be actually ever selling these laptops, as I understand they're just releasing the software to companies like HP, Acer etc. Let's be honest most people are more interested in the laptop them selves then the actual OS.

I think it would be more difficult than you expect, the reason these are so revolutionary is the way they change bootup.  Google pretty much got rid of all the normal BIOS stuff that Windows would rely on.  It would take a LOT of work to get a normal OS on here.  And then you'd need drivers for hardware that is also custom.

I am surprised they didn't sell THESE laptops.  They could have put a $100-200 price tag on them and still had a ton of beta testers.