Author Topic: [IC] Hobby mat themed desk pad (with accurate measurements)  (Read 36140 times)

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
Re: [IC] Hobby mat themed desk pad (with accurate measurements)
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 13:17:08 »
Yes!

If I put this on my architect table with similar markings will your desk mat disappear?  ;D
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 February 2021, 14:27:15 by HappyB0T »

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 13:47:02 »
i'd buy it GLWIC

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 14:14:31 »
Super hyped that this project is moving along. I don't really like deskmats, but this is just so fun!

Offline finfinigan

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 19:24:13 »
Yep, would definitely be interested in this. I really like the concept. Down for a black one probably, but green's good too.

Offline bobtheguitar

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 03:28:47 »
Sounds good. Might get both!

Offline Xyzzyka

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 13:18:40 »
Hell, I might grab one just for my sewing machine. A mat I can stick pins in... scissors only, of course.

Offline Escabrera

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 14:06:29 »
this mat is sick, hope to see it up sooner rather than later

Offline wooflebee

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 14:02:58 »
definitely will be grabbing black and green, can't wait!
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 June 2021, 11:45:42 by bex238 »

Offline InvXXVII

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 14:50:08 »
Love the design, would love one. Will you be making an interest check survey soon?

Offline Lynx

• Aether Hemera
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 23:06:13 »
Since its just going to be normal deskmat materials, maybe you can make it extra chonky. Like 6mm thick or something. Would be interesting

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 23:26:23 »
Love the design, would love one. Will you be making an interest check survey soon?

So far, The GH and Reddit [IC] posts have served well enough to gauge the response and choose 2 colorways that are already off to sample printing. The design has been cleaned up, and I have been talking with a company about producing the mats very soon.  ;)

Offline Mad_Rhetoric

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 14:05:43 »

So far, The GH and Reddit [IC] posts have served well enough to gauge the response and choose 2 colorways that are already off to sample printing. The design has been cleaned up, and I have been talking with a company about producing the mats very soon.  ;)

Awesome! So excited!

Offline honpache

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 23:10:51 »
Awesome design! I'd pick the green one for sure  :D

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 15:29:12 »
*SAMPLES UPDATE*

266408-0

Just got back pictures of the first sample mat to be printed. The design has changed a bit from the original design. The logo was removed, some features were adjusted, and the general placement was cleaned up a bit.

However, the samples show there is still work to be done. There are some minor changes such as beefing up some of the lines so they show up better (image below), and then there are some tougher fixes required.

266410-1

In illustrator, every line is placed perfectly, but the graphic unfortunately ended up a bit bigger than expected in multiple ways...
As seen in the first image, the samples ended up being too wide. The graphic ended up in the stitching on the edges even though there was space left digitally.

The design also stretched out the measurements as seen in the last image...

266412-2

I want to make sure that I give it every possible effort within my power to make this as accurate as possible, However with that being said, it is still to be seen if that is even physically possible with the limitations of the printing process as I have learned previously (but somehow I always seem to insist on doing things the hard way  :)^-^ )

But wait there's more!
The next step of course is to clean up the big and small revisions needed to make the print quality better, and try again. I will be receiving one of the physical samples in hand soon, so that I may specifically measure the amount of difference on each line to try counteracting the shift in the printed design. It will potentially require a lot of reworking, unless I find a quick and easy method to adjust everything accurately within illustrator; otherwise, it will be one hell of a time tediously measuring and readjusting everything  :confused:  :'( But I want to make this the best quality product possible! So I will give it everything I've got  :thumb:

Please stay tuned for further updates - I will post whenever there is significant news on the progress of the project! I hope to have these adjustments made and ready to send to sample round #2 soon!  :)

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 18:03:32 »
Getting things to translate from the screen to real life is hard. Good luck with your efforts. I'm still down for green.

Offline antx1701

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 19:26:08 »
...potentially expensive in vomparison.
Wait, there are vampires involved now?

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 20:20:59 »
...potentially expensive in vomparison.
Wait, there are vampires involved now?
The mats like one of those optical illusions. If you stare hard enough and go cross eyed, you see them.

Offline hovu

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 00:09:19 »
I'm digging this! - Actually really liked the original design with the barcode and tags, it gave me virgil abloh/off-white vibes

Offline redonepunch

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 01:16:26 »
Not sure if offsetting to account for the stretching will work. You’re probably not going to get consistent results printing on fabric. It’s a good exercise though to see what the limitations are. Good luck!

Offline Xyzzyka

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 01:58:31 »
I'm digging this! - Actually really liked the original design with the barcode and tags, it gave me virgil abloh/off-white vibes

Yeah, it had a good industrial feel to me too... Most of the, say, rulers (yardsticks, measuring tapes) I’ve ever owned had some random local business logo printed on them. Might have been outvoted on that though, certainly on the barcode.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 06:35:37 »
I'm down

Offline Dyto69

• 420 blaze it but dont forget 69
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 07:56:37 »
I really like this, especially the black one bc it matches with Olivia

Offline plasmin

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 14:13:33 »
Created an account just for this. I'll 100% get one of each color, love the green and blue colors. I was a big fan of the logo and barcode too, it looked authentic and industrial. The recent sample pictures just looks a bit plain, dunno how to explain. It still looks good tho

Offline leandrovega

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 17:51:52 »
I'm in. Get this done.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 13:08:49 »
Mat samples In hand!

Just received my copies of the V1 sample mats to measure and inspect. For those technical nerds who like hearing about the process, measuring with calipers line for line, the tolerances are within a mm or so (at least on the 2 samples I have). Meaning, that the overall stretch of the graphic should actually be pretty negligible. Any small variations between units should hopefully be fairly minute, and almost impossible to account for in actual practice as I've now definitively learned. So it should be noted that there will be the potential for small variations, But it shouldn't at all ruin the ability to get a general measurement from laying something down on the mat. with that being said, the graphic could even be stretched depending on how the end user lays it down, as the flexible fabric mat could shift on a desk surface. Next is to send over the V2 files with thickened lines and font, as well as a slightly shorter grid by 1" to better fit everything within the borders.

Off to sample round 2!

267794-0

267796-1

267798-2

Offline spikedsynapse

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 13:45:21 »
this is a really cool idea. keep it up

Offline PradyXT

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 14:24:08 »
Looks great, I defo want to get something like this in my upcoming setup :D

Offline wooflebee

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 15:22:31 »
Looks so good! Thanks for keeping us updated. I did notice and want to point out that the 45% and 60% numbers seem way bigger than the others and stand out a lot more. May be worth shrinking down a bit!

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 21:53:56 »
the 45% and 60% numbers seem way bigger than the others and stand out a lot more. May be worth shrinking down a bit!

The rest of the lettering actually had to be I creased in size and weight for the 2nd sample revision, so in the next round they shouldn't look so much bigger than the rest of the numbers  :thumb:

Offline Peter_Porker

[IC] Hobby mat themed desk pad (with accurate measurements)
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 21:57:50 »
I’m in

Offline dkrikun00

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 03:49:04 »
Sure, why not?!
I like the black one.

Offline Volny

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 05:37:43 »
It's a neat idea. But the deal-breaker for me is the heavy focus on the ye olde measuring system. Yes, there are centimetres on two of the edges, but all of the grid lines inside the things are in inches. Since you're doing multiple versions, consider at least one properly metric variant (though keep the inches on the perimeter, as a reference aid)

Also, a diagram of a key switch might look cool in lieu of the spoof bar code

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 12:36:24 »
consider at least one properly metric variant (though keep the inches on the perimeter, as a reference aid)

a diagram of a key switch might look cool in lieu of the spoof bar code

It has crossed my mind to do a metric variant at one point, but as the goal was to just make a desk mat themed after self healing hobby mats (which an overwhelming amount are in imperial) I had to hold my distaste for inferior measurements in favor of simply making it match the original source material that inspired the idea. However, doing a full grid in metric may be quite densely packed, and would likely be too busy for much other than a CM grid with no half measurement markings in-between (which is why I assume I haven't seen many metric cutting boards)

There are already 2 variants of this mat in production as a WOB and WOG color way, and I already agreed with the manufacturer that it wouldn't be a great idea to overcomplicate thins and do more than 2 mat types at a time, but later down the road if this first release does well enough, I'd definitely consider a separate graphic with superior measurements featured as the primary units  ;)
I hope if you are interested in a metric version you may consider still supporting the first release, because every mat helps to give me good credit with the production company to ask for another run in the future that may better meet your wish  ;D

The barcode is long outdated in the design (see the recent update photos with the samples) it was decided that the corner would be best left open without any obstructions in it for a cleaner and less distracting look, so in the final version there won't be any barcode or lettering on the mat beside the measurements at the edges and such.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 May 2021, 13:02:53 by Fantaku »

Offline yotasan

• ARCANE - PHOTOGRAPHY ARCHIVE
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 12:44:06 »
I really love the gray. Def something I'm interested in.

Offline honpache

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 21:28:44 »
Loving the progress!
Since I'm super interested into the green one I made this "color correction" (not really) in one of your photos, to see what could be the real color. I thought the black one was like warmer than usual. Could you confirm this is a more accurate color? 

267925-0

(This was the original one)
267927-1

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 22:12:01 »
Loving the progress!
Since I'm super interested into the green one I made this "color correction" (not really) in one of your photos, to see what could be the real color. I thought the black one was like warmer than usual. Could you confirm this is a more accurate color? 

(Attachment Link)

(This was the original one)
(Attachment Link)

Haha yeah the photos were just taken from my phone pretty quick because I'm always so excited to share progress pics already as soon as I have updates  ;D

But yes, that is much closer to an accurate depiction of the color. But I can thankfully give an actual Pantone now, because I wanted the current color a little more green (it looks a little blueish in person still) the final color goal should look something like 342C

And also to clarify from another comment I saw, the WOB color way mat is definitely supposed to be a black mat, it is as dark as you can get through this printing process  :thumb:

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 16:23:00 »
Hi y'all, sorry for taking a while! :confused:

I just received pictures of the round 2 samples today, and they look great!

271383-0
(V2 on top and middle vs V1 on bottom)

Everything's looking good, but there's still more work to be done  ^-^ :))

271385-1

The new thickened lines and revised design came out way better than the V1 desk pads! However the plan is to still tweak the color matching to the accurate green pantone and see if the measurement stretching can't still be fixed  :) The measurements are pretty close one inch at a time (and likewise with the CM) within their own dimensions, but measuring across the entire length of the mat, there is still a difference in the measurement accuracy. It doesn't make a huge difference in measuring something smaller and it's fairly inconsequential, but it'd be really nice to nail it if possible. It's one of the highest priorities to make sure this first and foremost will be the best product deliverable!

I will post an update again in about 3 weeks hopefully, with news on the V3 mats once they come back from the printers. They should be ready to go into GB soon after those are done  :thumb:
I am very excited to finally get this design all polished up and on its way to completion, and can't wait to get it in the hands of the community and especially everyone who's supported the project and shown interest!  ;D

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 21:39:42 »
Awesome attention to detail!

It would be sweet to get those measurements accurate, but even more important will be to ensure the vertical and horizontal edges of the design are lined up with the edges of the mat. Y'all don't want the whole design to look like it's crooked.

GLWIC!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Offline Mad_Rhetoric

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 14:04:30 »
Any updates for us?

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 16:13:38 »
Any updates for us?

I've actually been waiting for more info myself hehe... I've been wanting to have something new to post for a while, but the current (final) round of samples has been taking a little while, but it's almost here! And I hope to have photos and GB info very soon (maybe by early next month?)

Offline retainerbox

• meow
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 17:36:19 »
Just found this, but love the concept, definitely interested once it comes to group buy!

ErgoDox/Magic Girl, AVA/Islander,  ALU68/Godspeed, VOID40/Dark Magic Girl

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 13:28:51 »
GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!!!

This is the post that I have been excited to bring you for the entire last month   :) after waiting with much anticipation, I have finally received word and pictures on the final round of samples, and they looking really good!

275680-0

275682-1

275684-2

In this round of revisions we nailed the green mat color to match that classic feel, and the measurements have been tightened up so there is less drift/stretch across the measurement marks. With the little details ironed out, and the final design greenlit, I'm excited to announce that the project will be going into production!

But before I announce the production schedule and availability, I would like to share the company I partnered with to make this project happen that has greatly helped make this dream a reality... (Drum roll please)

I'm very excited to finally announce that Novel Keys will be producing and handling the hobby mat desk pad project  ;D

I would like to give a great big thanks to the NK team for covering the tough bits of producing this project that I might have honestly had difficulty with all on my own  :) and I especially appreciate the help from Riley for helping work with me to really dial in all the fine details  :thumb: I don't know if the final product would look as good as it does now without all the help to get the revisions and sample runs made to polish everything up  :D

And with that, now on to production! The mat will be made in stock immediately (NO GB)! the production will start as soon as NK pings all of their proxy partners and they have the final numbers needed to place the first order of stock.

The production will hopefully be expected in the early part of Q1 2022  ;) things on here might be quiet for a little bit, as during production I don't expect to have a lot to update on, but you can guarantee that as soon as the project is almost ready to go live, I will be here again to notify everyone!

I'd also like to acknowledge those that have reached out to me personally on running proxy for the mat  :thumb: I haven't passed it by NK yet, but if you are still interested in carrying the design, my advice would be to reach out to NK and ask directly about getting in on the first production run, as I would only be acting as the middle man if communications went through me since NK is handling the project delivery   :))

Other than that, I'd like to give my appreciation to all that have commented on the thread in show of support, and I am extremely excited that the project is nearing completion and I can't wait to share it and get it into the hands of everyone who is as passionate about it as I am  ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 September 2021, 13:33:52 by Fantaku »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 20:06:44 »
so stoked, really great working taking the time getting this as perfect as possible

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 21:15:11 »
Very nice!  Looking forward to picking one up from Novelkeys

Offline Mad_Rhetoric

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 16:14:15 »
yessssssssss

Offline ihs0y.

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 05 September 2021, 02:19:49 »
will there be asian proxies? shipping this from america is going to cost a bomb :(

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 05 September 2021, 02:35:15 »
will there be asian proxies? shipping this from america is going to cost a bomb :(

I'm not sure who or where all the proxy's connected to NK are, but I assume there will hopefully be something that will work out. I'll try asking, but for sure there will be more information closer to when the production is finished and I am able to announce the sale sites and dates!

Offline pards

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 04:31:05 »
Hello! Is this still on-going? Very interested in getting a black one if ever! Cheers! :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 October 2021, 07:12:16 by pards »

Offline autobot

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 04:47:45 »
This looks like a fantastic product! As an industrial designer, I’d totally have this in my desk setup.

Understood on slight stretch variations as stated earlier in this thread, but it’s perfect for “ballpark” measurements.

Added to my watched list!

Offline Fantaku

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 10:20:08 »
Hello! Is this still on-going? Very interested in getting a black one if ever! Cheers! :thumb:

Yes! It is very much so still happening  ;D the project is going into production right now and should be ready for sale in a few months  :thumb: