Author Topic: This is id1otic  (Read 2664 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
This is id1otic
« on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 07:38:37 »
But Tp4 wants to buy sooooo badly....talk tp4 out of it.. halp

it just looks so kewl

286946-0
286944-1

Offline Coreda

Re: This is id1otic
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 08:01:53 »
Second one looks like it'd be a mini jet. Is this the price we pay for PCIe 4+ speeds :p

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 08:11:17 »
Cooling vanes are some of the most interesting and beautiful computer components in the industry, and always have been.

Yet they are very rarely seen. How sad.

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 08:17:55 »
Second one looks like it'd be a mini jet. Is this the price we pay for PCIe 4+ speeds :p

gdi these chinese companies are soooo steampunk, they know exactly how to appeal to puter' addicts.

286948-0

286950-1

286952-2

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 09:16:20 »
But Tp4 wants to buy sooooo badly....talk tp4 out of it.. halp

it just looks so kewl

Show Image

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
the money spent on that will only bring you pain. The minute you click the purchase button the regret will sit in your stomach like a stone and only grow in weight until it arrives, tearing free from it's restrictions and pitting upon the realization that you payed so much money for something like this.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 09:27:28 »

The minute you click the purchase button the regret will sit in your stomach like a stone

I don't know, they do actually work well, don't they?

It's just a shame that their beauty is wasted.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 09:54:25 »
You really only WANT to cool the chipset, not the nand memory itself and it doesn't take much to cool the controller. Worst case it slows a little.
Over cooling the flash memory actually shortens the lifespan, it likes heat.

Sadly, even manufacturers seem to ignore this because people bigger heatsinks look fast.

And yes, these work, but not well, which is actually preferred.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 09:57:57 »
gdi these chinese companies are soooo steampunk, they know exactly how to appeal to puter' addicts.

Show Image
One look told me that's a Thermalright - a reputable heatsink manufacturer.  If I were to buy an M.2 I'd have to get one as it matches their ancient IFX-14 which is in my system (solid case in a cupboard but I know it looks good!)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 21:07:23 »
One look told me that's a Thermalright - a reputable heatsink manufacturer.  If I were to buy an M.2 I'd have to get one as it matches their ancient IFX-14 which is in my system (solid case in a cupboard but I know it looks good!)

They have a smaller one with a flat top, and a flat one with a single 8mm heatpipe.

286977-0
286979-1

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 22:21:49 »
reminds me of the Cooler Master Jet

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 22:23:10 »
Tp4 also owned this back in the day, the one with BLUE led.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 22:24:46 »
You really only WANT to cool the chipset, not the nand memory itself and it doesn't take much to cool the controller. Worst case it slows a little.
Over cooling the flash memory actually shortens the lifespan, it likes heat.

Sadly, even manufacturers seem to ignore this because people bigger heatsinks look fast.

And yes, these work, but not well, which is actually preferred.

but then linus said in a follow upvideo that the nand DOES want to be cooled.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 23:37:09 »
i wonder if this really makes an effect on performance, especially if you already have liquid cooling and some solid fans already. like Lesliann said, overcooling shortens the lifespan

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 07:51:31 »
i wonder if this really makes an effect on performance, especially if you already have liquid cooling and some solid fans already. like Lesliann said, overcooling shortens the lifespan

in benchmarks it definitely does, but not in normal use.  you can burn them out in normal use though without cooling.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 08:01:37 »
I wouldn't use one.
I would put thermal pad on chipset, that's it.
If you reeeeally need to :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 08:26:14 »
I wouldn't use one.
but you could burn out the ssd, it's totes happened to people, mostly laptops, but still.

Offline phinix

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 08:35:43 »
I wouldn't use one.
but you could burn out the ssd, it's totes happened to people, mostly laptops, but still.

I want to believe that if they needed heatsink, manufacturer would have added one.
If they do not, sounds like its just an addition.
No?

I remember the days, when Zalman released those small heatsinks for GPU RAM. Lots of peeps bought them and mounted, I liked the color etc :)
Then they had this blue NB chipset heatsink, I think I still have it somewhere in the attic.

EDIT: loved it :)

« Last Edit: Wed, 06 July 2022, 03:31:28 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Coreda

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 08:51:12 »

Haven't seen any video about this but when you see that WD Black and Samsung Evo's max operating range is 70°C and some run into that and above at regular loads (check many forum topics) it may become an issue since it can be at crit temps.

Some of this could be blamed on being too near the GPU exhaust (particularly the second slot of some motherboards) or insufficient heatsinks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 June 2022, 08:52:59 by Coreda »

Offline phinix

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 14:18:20 »

Haven't seen any video about this but when you see that WD Black and Samsung Evo's max operating range is 70°C and some run into that and above at regular loads (check many forum topics) it may become an issue since it can be at crit temps.

Some of this could be blamed on being too near the GPU exhaust (particularly the second slot of some motherboards) or insufficient heatsinks.

Or imagine ITX builds with small mobos in cramped itx cases.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 23:26:28 »
Ayyy

Offline phinix

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 03:32:41 »
Lets go even further, watercooling.
Because I can :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 05:58:05 »

that's alot of resistance for the loop, might lose performance for all other components.

Offline phinix

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 07:56:42 »

that's alot of resistance for the loop, might lose performance for all other components.

Nah, I remember 10 years ago when I got into watercooling, People were all about number of radiators, resistance in multiple blocks etc
All bull****, I used one double rad for CPU, GPU, NB blocks, running all around 40-45C load, nice and quiet.

Any pump these days can handly one more block in a loop, dont worry  :thumb:

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 06 July 2022, 11:17:33 »
only heatsink I use on my M.2 is EK's - all main hardware in my system is cooled by EK blocks. .

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline phinix

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 07 July 2022, 02:57:02 »
only heatsink I use on my M.2 is EK's - all main hardware in my system is cooled by EK blocks. .
Show Image

Yeah, these are nice and simple.
But tp4 wants bells and whistles, tower heatsinks and ****  :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 07 July 2022, 06:58:09 »
Show Image

Sp1nnnerrrs

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 07 July 2022, 12:57:20 »
Show Image

Could go with the Corsair Waterblock version.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D