Author Topic: Durock Lavenders  (Read 4324 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Durock Lavenders
« on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 10:34:47 »
Durock Lavenders sound like a great linear switches.
Would you guys agree?
Who used them and can share? What are they like?
Read somewhere that they are good even unlubed, pretty smooth and sound great, better than other linears.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Durock Lavenders
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 10:48:23 »
They sound pretty alright, sort of like every other jwk linear. Although I feel they are a little on the hype side being the promised “thock”. I mostly stick to jwk black linears and other jwicks which are equally smooth if not more smoith due to the factory lube. Sounds like any jwk too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 11:17:18 »
They sound pretty alright, sort of like every other jwk linear. Although I feel they are a little on the hype side being the promised “thock”. I mostly stick to jwk black linears and other jwicks which are equally smooth if not more smoith due to the factory lube. Sounds like any jwk too

I see. Would you prefer them instead of Tealios or Black Inks?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 11:42:52 »
Definitely preferred over inks, tealios not sure.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 16:15:27 »
They're pretty solid switch IME. I got lubed & filmed Lavenders spring swapped to 50g standard length TX springs in my Devastating TKL. They're a little on the lower pitched side than most JWK switches having an all nylon housing, not Cherry levels of deepness though. Very smooth, they are (or were) factory lubed pretty decently. I removed the factory lube & redid it with 205g0 myself, but think they could be used with the factory lube. Also while I did film film mine, you can probably get away without films if you wanted. The housings are pretty tight fitting.

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 05:09:17 »
They're pretty solid switch IME. I got lubed & filmed Lavenders spring swapped to 50g standard length TX springs in my Devastating TKL. They're a little on the lower pitched side than most JWK switches having an all nylon housing, not Cherry levels of deepness though. Very smooth, they are (or were) factory lubed pretty decently. I removed the factory lube & redid it with 205g0 myself, but think they could be used with the factory lube. Also while I did film film mine, you can probably get away without films if you wanted. The housings are pretty tight fitting.

Yeah, that is why I want to try them, v2 should be great as stock. I could always re-lube them, but wanted to try them out first on some hotswap keyboard.
Don't have one, but looking at NK87 EE atomic purple I ffel like I must buy it :) Those lavenders would look sick on it.
Springs wise, I have TX 75g short springs I could swap in those.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 March 2022, 10:40:06 »
Lavenders is when I learned that JWKs worked better with a nylon housing.

Also, the 65 G spring is better than 62 and 67. They're actually pretty usable in stock form.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 21:50:51 »
I have heard Lavenders to be a solid switch and that they are on the "quieter side" although I doubt they will beat my current favorite linear, the OPBlack

Offline phinix

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 03:19:19 »
Lavenders is when I learned that JWKs worked better with a nylon housing.

Also, the 65 G spring is better than 62 and 67. They're actually pretty usable in stock form.

Sounds good, once I get them, I'll see how they feel - may use stock springs and just bag lube them.
Do they ping?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 07:44:19 »
Sadly, I don't remember.

People often film JWK housings for best results. I don't think Lavender uses the V2 housing, which is thought to be a little tighter.

JWK 65 G springs are okay [62 are a bit weak and dead-feeling]. I sometimes used 63.5 G Spirit and 65 G 14mm TX springs with JWK linears.

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 03:49:55 »
Sadly, I don't remember.

People often film JWK housings for best results. I don't think Lavender uses the V2 housing, which is thought to be a little tighter.

JWK 65 G springs are okay [62 are a bit weak and dead-feeling]. I sometimes used 63.5 G Spirit and 65 G 14mm TX springs with JWK linears.

I have some 75g to swap, but may see if stock ones are ok just to lube.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 09:34:35 »
Lavs don’t have a lot of ping, once lubed it’ll be perfect, cherry topped lavs one of the best linears I’ve ever used

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 09:41:06 »
Lavs don’t have a lot of ping, once lubed it’ll be perfect, cherry topped lavs one of the best linears I’ve ever used

Cool, thanks for confirming.
I'm not gonna lube whole switches, just springs bag lubing. I want to use stock switches, fed up with lubing :)
Lavenders look like good switches to be used stock. Similar to Tealios.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 11:56:12 »
Some other switches that are okay stock:

-SP Star Purple [medium tactile]
-U4 Boba and U4T [heavy tactile], Bobagum [silent linear]
-Kailh Deep Sea [silent linear]
-Kailh BOX Silent Brown [silent tactile]
-Momoka Frog [linear]
-TTC Bluish White and Silenced Bluish White [medium tactile]
-SP Star Nana [linear similar to Lavender]
-AKKO CS Ocean Blue and Lavender [medium tactile]
-Cotton Candy (factory hand-lubed) [light tactile]
-JWK Kiwi [heavy tactile]
-JWK H1/HHHH [heavy linear]

Offline phinix

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 13:14:07 »
Some other switches that are okay stock:

-SP Star Purple [medium tactile]
-U4 Boba and U4T [heavy tactile], Bobagum [silent linear]
-Kailh Deep Sea [silent linear]
-Kailh BOX Silent Brown [silent tactile]
-Momoka Frog [linear]
-TTC Bluish White and Silenced Bluish White [medium tactile]
-SP Star Nana [linear similar to Lavender]
-AKKO CS Ocean Blue and Lavender [medium tactile]
-Cotton Candy (factory hand-lubed) [light tactile]
-JWK Kiwi [heavy tactile]
-JWK H1/HHHH [heavy linear]

Cool, thanks.
Did you try them all?

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 13:26:22 »
Can confirm pretty much all sp stars are nice stock, most budget jwk too(jwk black/t1,jwicks)

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 14:11:16 »

Cool, thanks.
Did you try them all?

Yes. And I also agree that most SP Star switches are pretty good stock.

I didn't mention it in the above list, but SP Star Meteor Orange / Duck are pretty good light-tactiles, SP Star's take on Browns.

The reason I didn't mention it is that I personally prefer to see changes in the switch for sound reasons [spring-lubing, switch lubing with 3204, films, and Cherry tops]. Functionally, the switch feels fine, but I like to bring it to a more Cherry sound.

Anyway, yes I wrote the above list after using the switches personally. You could just buy any of those and start using them.

It's my understanding that many of the AKKO budget line of switches are okay in stock form. KTT is pretty good too, at least the linears. And cheap. I like KTT Mallo, a newer light tactile, but they need the springs lubed and probably the leaf.

Offline phinix

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 16:30:37 »

Cool, thanks.
Did you try them all?

Yes. And I also agree that most SP Star switches are pretty good stock.

I didn't mention it in the above list, but SP Star Meteor Orange / Duck are pretty good light-tactiles, SP Star's take on Browns.

The reason I didn't mention it is that I personally prefer to see changes in the switch for sound reasons [spring-lubing, switch lubing with 3204, films, and Cherry tops]. Functionally, the switch feels fine, but I like to bring it to a more Cherry sound.

Anyway, yes I wrote the above list after using the switches personally. You could just buy any of those and start using them.

It's my understanding that many of the AKKO budget line of switches are okay in stock form. KTT is pretty good too, at least the linears. And cheap. I like KTT Mallo, a newer light tactile, but they need the springs lubed and probably the leaf.

for my next linear I'm set for lavenders - so you are saying those are fine stock?
I would bag lube springs and that would be it.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 22:08:49 »
I think Lavenders would be okay with lubed springs. They wouldn't sound as nice as Cherry IMHO, but would still be smoother out-of-box.

The H1s were lubed okay from the factory, just not as thocky as hand-lubed. Very smooth when they were on fresh molds. With a spring-swap to a preferred weight, they could be usable without lubing.

Offline phinix

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 02:49:42 »
I think Lavenders would be okay with lubed springs. They wouldn't sound as nice as Cherry IMHO, but would still be smoother out-of-box.

The H1s were lubed okay from the factory, just not as thocky as hand-lubed. Very smooth when they were on fresh molds. With a spring-swap to a preferred weight, they could be usable without lubing.

Sounds good, thanks for advice. :thumb:

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 17:40:59 »
I forgot to mention, the Durock "Lilac Tactile Switch" was pretty good out-of-box. A crisp, yet smoother and perhaps better-sounding T1.

You might be able to get away with using those stock, they might even be better than SP Star Purple.

Also, if you get them cheap, the Dragonfruit [medium tactile] feels fine, it just has wobble and leaf noise so people hate it. But if you just replace the tops with OUTEMU tight tops, you can reduce the wobble and perhaps improve the noise a little. It's a soft-typing switch.

I've read that the Naevy 1.5 switch [factory Ergo Clear] already has lubed springs, and the stem is self-lubricating. So you may be able to get away with smoothing them just by lubing them. They sound okay [a little scratch but not Cherry scratchy] in stock form.

Offline yangsiyin

• Hello World~ Keebs
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 18:35:11 »
Some people love it, some people hate it, the thing with switches is you need to try them yourselves before knowing you like them or not

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 21:12:37 »
Just a heads-up:

Momoka Frog switches have been reduced to $3.20/10 at MKUltra.

It used to be that $0.50/ea was considered a good/decent price for them.

https://mkultra.click/momoka-frog-switches/

Offline controller-works

• Controller.works
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 13 July 2022, 21:54:41 »
I have Durock lavenders on my Nibble and Tidbit.
https://imgur.com/gallery/mHGRx5y
They are very nice and smooth. I cannot compare them to other MX switches because the only other MX ones I have are Cherry Browns.