Author Topic: Ailing Model M Space Saver  (Read 7897 times)

Offline msiegel

Ailing Model M Space Saver
« on: Sun, 12 April 2009, 15:16:38 »
My dear little modified Space Saver is sick... can anyone advise?

Symptoms are: keys failing to register at all, or registering double/triple.

Here's its mod history:

In 2005 I bought an M 1391472 black logo in poor condition from a salvage house for $18. It was previously owned by a school district, so you can imagine how much permanent marker, ink, dirt etc came with it. Fortunately the case was good and its keycaps were undamaged.

After a major cleaning I did the nuts & bolts mod, chiseling off and drilling out the 40-odd plastic rivets that join the backplate and keyswitch assembly (many rivets had already popped off from age), replacing them with machine screws and bolts.  Also replaced all the spring/hammer assemblies with fresh new ones graciously provided by Unicomp -- thanks Jim Owens! :) The result was a lovely rock solid board that saved my left wrist and worked very well for 2 years... until I spilled water directly into it :(

Now I'm typing on a rubber-dome Apple board from 1998 :(:(

I took the M all to bits and found where water had wicked between the membranes, but after a thorough drying, cleaning, and reassembly it has become flaky...

Many keys fail to register at all, or register double/triple.

At the rate I'm pounding on it, this Apple board won't last too much longer, so I'm looking at buying a Filco Tenkeyless with Cherry browns.  But is there some way to save my Model M? It would be such a shame to lose it.

Thanks everyone. -Matt

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline msiegel

Ailing Model M Space Saver
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 April 2009, 23:05:43 »
Good find, thanks Ripster :) It has sold already.

Now that you mention it, I'll bet oxidation is the culprit... circuit traces on the membrane were not a uniform color.

Excellent tip re: contact cleaner, now there is hope :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller