Author Topic: The soft texture of Ice Cap but in DSA?  (Read 29715 times)

Offline jennb

The soft texture of Ice Cap but in DSA?
« on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 08:56:34 »

I love the soft texture of the Ice Cap SA set. I want that texture in PBT DSA. Is that even possible? Does it exist already?
Keyboards: Code MX Clear, Minivan Aliaz switches
Keycap sets: DSA Granite, SA Ice Cep

Offline SMKNGNZ

Re: The soft texture of Ice Cap but in DSA?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 23:40:37 »
The texture on a key is created by the texture or finish in the cavities of the tooling. SA has a smooth, semi-matte finish created by the cavities. DSA has a textured finish on the touch surface and semi-matte finish on the sides. To achieve the finish in DSA you are looking for, new cavities would need to be made for all shapes. This is not something that is a priority in our current tooling schedule, but may be considered in the future. Thanks for you input!

Offline jennb

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 08:52:18 »
Thank you for taking the time to explain how texture is created. I appreciate it. At least now I know why I won't find that texture on DSA.

SP makes fantastic keysets! Thanks, too, for selling blank keycaps and the storage boxes.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 08:26:10 »
Many/most PBT keycaps have that soft texture. Look at any PBT DSA, especially DSA Milkshake (I think it's manufactured by Keyreative/ZFrontier).
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline jennb

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 17:17:43 »
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't tried any other PBT DSA sets outside of PMK's Granite. I'll be on the lookout for a Keyreative DSA set and others.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2019, 17:24:39 by jennb »

Offline adelebrown68

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 September 2023, 03:23:09 »
Inspired by the beautifully crisp polar ice caps, this set was PMK's first all-white SA sublimated keyset and features black legends in Gorton Modified font.
   Kick The Buddy