Author Topic: Any new switches I might like?  (Read 1267 times)

Offline cultofjosh

Any new switches I might like?
« on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 01:13:08 »
I just ordered a 72 switch tester from Drop that mainly covers cherry MX, Gateron, Kailh, Aliaz and Zealeos. It's going to be a while before they arrive.
My favorite switches were always MX brown and MX clear. I think Gateron were just starting to come out when I stopped paying attention. In any case, which switches should I be looking at the closest for myself?

Also, which are the most popular? I've got some old unassembled keyboards I'd like to sell, which switches will make them more desirable to buy? They would have to be MX or MX-compatible.

I checked the GH wiki but the switches section seems unmaintained :(

Thanks!
Josh

Offline Suds

Re: Any new switches I might like?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 11:24:36 »
A search shows Gateron first showing up in this forum around 2012, so if it's been that long then yes: there are loads of new switches you might like. I wouldn't know where to start. U4 Bobas are currently in fashion for tactiles, Holy Pandas before them (Glorious Pandas are equivalent), others before them. Upcoming, that I care about anyway, are the Keystone hall effect switches.

I'm currently typing on Hako Royal Trues, which are not popular but which are definitely unique. I like them a lot. You might want to check them out if you're looking for something different. (Another thing: I got them because they're cheap right now, on clearance.)   

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 12:49:16 »
Weird, I was here in 2014 and don't recall hearing much about Gaterons. Everyone was pretty firmly MX back then, perhaps that's why.(Well except for the die hard ALPS and TOPRE peeps.)  I vaguely recall them showing up in razer gaming keyboards but that's about it. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. My tester won't arrive until the end of August but I'm pretty sure you've mentioned a few not on there, which means another (hopefully in stock) tester is needed :)

Have to say, it's pretty disappointing the price of happy hacker keyboards hasn't come down at all in 7 years. Always wanted to try one of those.

Offline Suds

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 14:20:53 »
Your tester might have Zealio or Zilents in it, those also had their moment in the sun. Really expensive though.

Edit: Actually, there are other switches to watch out for. Assuming that this is your switch tester:

https://drop.com/buy/kbdfans-all-in-one-72-switch-tester

Pay attention to the Box White, Jade, and Navy. They're clickies, not tactiles, but they use a different mechanism for clicking than the click jackets that Cherries use. Click bars are generally considered to be superior in just about every respect.

The Box Royal is a tactile with a very strong tactile bump. So strong that most people don't seem to like it very much, since they can't help but bottom out after getting past the bump.

The Hakos are designed by Input Club, and are tactiles with shorter springs than typical, and stronger than typical. With the Hako True having the strongest spring. They're intended to prevent you from bottoming out.

The Hako Royal Trues that I mentioned above are a combination of the Box Royals and the Hako Trues. The result is a distinct tactile bump, with a small gap before bouncing off the spring. There is a Hako Royal Clear on that switch tester, which is the same thing but with a lighter spring.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 June 2021, 21:33:44 by Suds »