Author Topic: Questions about the Vortex KBT Race keyboards.  (Read 7348 times)

Offline jooks1184

Questions about the Vortex KBT Race keyboards.
« on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 22:21:44 »
Hello all,

So, I've been thinking about purchasing a KBT Race from mechanicalkeybaords.com. However, I had a few questions that I hope people here could answer.

1.) I read that the KBT Race's are PCB-mounted. Are PCB-mounted keyboards inferior in build quality than metal-plate mounted ones?

2.) Have there been any issues with this keyboard? (Hopefully, there are some people that have/ had a KBT RACE that can answer this one).

3.) Are the PBT keycaps on the Race's thin PBT or thick?

4.) Would it be better to get a CM Quickfire TK over the KBT Race? The factors that are important to me are reliability, durability, functionality.

That's all the questions I can think of right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Offline quake4mhg

Re: Questions about the Vortex KBT Race keyboards.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:22:51 »
2) Most common issue like mine is some dim or even dead leds.

Sorry, I can't help much  ;D

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:31:14 »
2) Most common issue like mine is some dim or even dead leds.

Sorry, I can't help much  ;D

unfortunately this is the problem with most if not all boards with LEDs.

some are dead on arrival, while others take some time to die.

it's unavoidable..

Offline jooks1184

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:34:59 »
That's unfortunate. Guess I'll go for the non-led pbt keycap kbt race. Any thoughts on the quickfire tk?

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:40:07 »
1) Not really.  They are just different.  The two have a different feel...plate is a bit more solid than PCB.  Some like the PCB feel.  PCB-mount keyboards can be easier to mod the switches, because you don't have to desolder them.  However, LED keyboards still require that the LEDs be desoldered.

2) They are pretty good for the most part, so long as you don't get a white one.  Stick with black keycaps and you will be OK.  Some have had issues with the LEDs.  I haven't seen this on either of mine yet.

3) If they are anything like the KBC PBT caps for the Poker, they are thin.

4) I don't think there is enough information yet to make that call about the TK, specifically.
Russ

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:58:49 »
Hello all,

So, I've been thinking about purchasing a KBT Race from mechanicalkeybaords.com. However, I had a few questions that I hope people here could answer.

1.) I read that the KBT Race's are PCB-mounted. Are PCB-mounted keyboards inferior in build quality than metal-plate mounted ones?

2.) Have there been any issues with this keyboard? (Hopefully, there are some people that have/ had a KBT RACE that can answer this one).

3.) Are the PBT keycaps on the Race's thin PBT or thick?

4.) Would it be better to get a CM Quickfire TK over the KBT Race? The factors that are important to me are reliability, durability, functionality.

That's all the questions I can think of right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

1) Plate mounted does feel more solid to me and you don't get pcb flexing feeling, but once you start typing a while it feels OK, a bit louder maybe than plate mount if you bottom out a lot. to me PCB mounted switches with no plate are inferior in feeling, not build quality.
2)  I own a PBT one, my issues with the RACE is the flexing of the PCB (same as Poker) due to no plate (i knew this before purchasing), the printing on the PBT started fading a bit, and the keycap profile and size on the top row makes replacement key caps difficult to impossible. other than that it is a pretty nice board to travel with. its fairly durable, well made, and very very simple design ( 1 peice case + pcb with everything needed on it + switches + caps)
3) Thin
4) Did you mean TKL? or the upcoming CM TK? Honestly I would say get the Quickfire. unless you have specific reasons for the RACE like i did (Travel/PBT/Cool).

I got my race because it looks cool, it fits with my laptop in a small laptop bag so it travels really well, it has PBT keys, mine has white switches and i wanted that, and it doesn't scream STEAL ME like my HHKB does when i'm traveling. But If i was buying a TKL NOT for travel and wanted to save $$ also i would go with the Crossfire hands down.

Offline firebt

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 11:31:53 »
As stated, PCB mount vs Plate mount doesn't necessarily have anything to do with build, just the way the keyboard feels.  The plate mounts are bit more solid, since it is the PCB with a steel plate on top that reinforced the PCB to pretty much eliminate all flex.  This also makes the keyboard very heavy which IMO is better, a little over 3 lbs, which is funny because it weighs more than my laptop that I use it on.

Plate mount sucks if you like to mod and lube switches as you cannot access the inside of the switches without desoldering the switches.  However, you will have to desolder regardless if you have LED's since you can't open the top without remove the LED which is only by desoldering. 

Ultimately, I think plate mount is more solid, but it doesn't assist with portability nor does it help with customizability, but the feel is really good and I like it being very solid.