Author Topic: [GB] Custom CNC Aluminum Cases for Cooler Master TKL boards (SHIPPED)  (Read 140714 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Re: [GB] Custom CNC Aluminum Cases for Cooler Master TKL boards (MANUFACTURING)
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 09:44:43 »
I GOT MINE! :D :D :D

Quick question, is there a guide on how to change the cases anywhere? I see 2 screws in the bottom of the standard CoolerMaster case, but thats it...

I'm guessing:

1) take all caps off
2) take out 2 screws....
then what?

There are other screws hidden under the case stickers (different numbers depending on which board you have, I think), so make sure you get those too. Then it's just a question of prying apart the two halves of the plastic housing. This can be tricky, as they are firmly locked together, but a screw driver (or two) is the conventional approach. It's a lot easier if you don't care too much about marring the plastic case, but if you're careful this should be possible to do without damaging the plastic case.

I find this to be a useful, non-marring, tool for prying open plastic cases:
https://www.amazon.com/Clover-490-NV-Hera-Marker/dp/B0011451F8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487173313&sr=8-4&keywords=clover+marking

This sort of thing would also probably work:
https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Opening-Repair-iPhone-Non-Marring/dp/B00V58SOTK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487173394&sr=8-4&keywords=plastic+spudger

I meant to make a video for this but just haven't had time yet.  :rolleyes:

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred

Offline norbauer

« Reply #452 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 09:58:53 »
See https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85676.msg2362990#msg2362990

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. Somehow I only saw the photo in the thread and didn't notice the imgur link. That is an awesome set of pics! I also concur with (and now understand) the statement about the awesome LED wall lights that geekzombie has on his wall.  :))

Offline Lipton

« Reply #453 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 10:39:38 »

Quick question, is there a guide on how to change the cases anywhere? I see 2 screws in the bottom of the standard CoolerMaster case, but thats it...

I'm guessing:

1) take all caps off
2) take out 2 screws....
then what?

There are other screws hidden under the case stickers (different numbers depending on which board you have, I think), so make sure you get those too. Then it's just a question of prying apart the two halves of the plastic housing. This can be tricky, as they are firmly locked together, but a screw driver (or two) is the conventional approach. It's a lot easier if you don't care too much about marring the plastic case, but if you're careful this should be possible to do without damaging the plastic case.

https://www.amazon.com/Clover-490-NV-Hera-Marker/dp/B0011451F8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487173313&sr=8-4&keywords=clover+marking

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Opening-Repair-iPhone-Non-Marring/dp/B00V58SOTK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487173394&sr=8-4&keywords=plastic+spudger

Ah thanks!

I have the WASD keycap puller and it's pretty flat, I think it should work the same as the items you listed above :)

https://www.amazon.com/WASD-Keyboards-Wire-Keycap-Puller/dp/B00AZCGF7K

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #454 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 12:49:03 »

I'm guessing:

1) take all caps off
2) take out 2 screws....
then what?

Ah thanks!

I have the WASD keycap puller and it's pretty flat, I think it should work the same as the items you listed above :)

https://www.amazon.com/WASD-Keyboards-Wire-Keycap-Puller/dp/B00AZCGF7K

Show Image

Doubt it. If it does not work and you don't care about scratching the plastic case you will be replacing you could just use a table knife to open it up.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #455 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 13:30:02 »
See https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85676.msg2362990#msg2362990

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. Somehow I only saw the photo in the thread and didn't notice the imgur link. That is an awesome set of pics! I also concur with (and now understand) the statement about the awesome LED wall lights that geekzombie has on his wall.  :))

Yeah those panels are awesome, but I looked and they are $200 each.  And his setup includes 2.  So, very cool, but $400 for that setup will take me some time to convince my wallet. Oh, have no doubt, it will probably happen... just need time.

Offline zah

« Reply #456 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 21:13:01 »
just showed up! love the case.  thanks for all the hard work in runnin' the gb  :thumb:

Offline Lipton

« Reply #457 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 13:48:13 »
Woot all installed :D

Had to open it up again and put in 2 layers of that padded lining
http://imgur.com/gallery/0OriR

Offline poolside

« Reply #458 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 14:30:08 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice board! These grey/blue caps are a good match to the case.

Offline Lipton

« Reply #459 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 14:45:36 »

Show Image

Nice board! These grey/blue caps are a good match to the case.

Thanks! :D caps where from a round over at https://deskthority.net/

« Reply #460 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 15:23:29 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Where did you get that cable? The place I normally order custom cables from makes them with connectors that are too large for this case. How happy are you with the quality? The coil seems imperfect.

Offline Lipton

« Reply #461 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 15:29:48 »

Show Image

Where did you get that cable? The place I normally order custom cables from makes them with connectors that are too large for this case. How happy are you with the quality? The coil seems imperfect.

Got the cable from https://www.mimic-cables.com/

Great guy! I even ordered with the wrong USB end once, and after shipping it back to him, he fixed it

Offline arhetue

« Reply #462 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 15:36:53 »
Got it and its killer! Custom color worked out fantastically and the brushed finish is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks a bunch Norbauer!.

Now to decide if I like the DZ or the Nantucket on it better.... either way, very pleased! :thumb:

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #463 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 15:52:55 »
Got it and its killer! Custom color worked out fantastically and the brushed finish is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks a bunch Norbauer!.

Now to decide if I like the DZ or the Nantucket on it better.... either way, very pleased! :thumb:

good lord, that looks fantastic
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline nurbs

« Reply #464 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 16:19:04 »
Lovin' all these amazing pics! Keepem coming. Already mentioned this to Ryan in a PM, but it needs to be said again that he did an amazing job with the design and this GB.

On another note - and I may be in the minority on this - but I prefer the current form fitting usb connector design and not in favor of enlarging it. Not only does it look quite elegant, but it keeps the already fragile micro usb connector from wiggling around too much. Ryan said he followed the spec and used industry defined standard sizes. Wouldn't it then be common sense to have Pexon cables also follow the spec instead of Ryan having to enlarge the hole just to fit a non standardized Pexon connection? 
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 February 2017, 16:20:58 by nurbs »

« Reply #465 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 17:39:20 »
Lovin' all these amazing pics! Keepem coming. Already mentioned this to Ryan in a PM, but it needs to be said again that he did an amazing job with the design and this GB.

On another note - and I may be in the minority on this - but I prefer the current form fitting usb connector design and not in favor of enlarging it. Not only does it look quite elegant, but it keeps the already fragile micro usb connector from wiggling around too much. Ryan said he followed the spec and used industry defined standard sizes. Wouldn't it then be common sense to have Pexon cables also follow the spec instead of Ryan having to enlarge the hole just to fit a non standardized Pexon connection?

Should add that Pexon is not the cable maker using these connectors, just the most popular one. I get why they chose the larger connector as micro usb cables are fragile (by design!), but that did not stop my micro usb cable from Pexon from breaking after two weeks.

I agree that a larger opening won't look as good and that the cable makers not following standards are the ones to blame. However, I am still in favor of increasing the size by a few millimeters simply because I think the number of R2 customers that are going to be bummed their custom cable does not fit is higher than the number of people that will care that the opening on the back is slightly larger.

Offline geekzombie

« Reply #466 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 17:56:43 »

Should add that Pexon is not the cable maker using these connectors, just the most popular one. I get why they chose the larger connector as micro usb cables are fragile (by design!), but that did not stop my micro usb cable from Pexon from breaking after two weeks.

I agree that a larger opening won't look as good and that the cable makers not following standards are the ones to blame. However, I am still in favor of increasing the size by a few millimeters simply because I think the number of R2 customers that are going to be bummed their custom cable does not fit is higher than the number of people that will care that the opening on the back is slightly larger.

IMHO, that's a false dichotomy. The issue I'd be focused on in the hardware design is not primarily the small subsets of the population using custom cables or 'caring' about the larger opening -- it's the matter of whether it  reduces the durability of the solution in the long run (cable, case or board): does this change increase the risk of damage to the USB connection, the cable, or does it introduce the possibility of foreign contaminants getting underneath the PCB?

Offline PurpleURP

« Reply #467 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 09:27:54 »
Just got my case on Tuesday.  Super high Quality!  Thanks for putting on this group buy.  Sorry if you have already answered this question, but will you do real force 87u cases in the next round? Thanks

Offline Lipton

« Reply #468 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 13:51:43 »
Quick question and more photos of my cable from mimic-cables.

How do you prevent static shocks on this thing? Lol, it's annoying and I have a slight phobic of static shocks. From trauma as kid who went to middle school in Michigan, that had carpeted floors and metal lockers. Not to mention indoor heaters that tried to kill you all the time. Hehe...

Offline unoab

« Reply #469 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 16:06:48 »
How do you prevent static shocks on this thing? Lol, it's annoying and I have a slight phobic of static shocks. From trauma as kid who went to middle school in Michigan, that had carpeted floors and metal lockers. Not to mention indoor heaters that tried to kill you all the time. Hehe...

always wear one of these when going to type:

:p

Offline orpheo

« Reply #470 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 03:00:34 »
As for the Pexon cable,  I slightly cut the heat shrink and filed down the two sides of the connector, fits great now.

The novatouch as a very sturdy USB connector already,  no need to have the case do the job then.

Filing down a plastic connector is not the end of the world. No drama here hehe.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #471 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 21:11:43 »
Quick question and more photos of my cable from mimic-cables.

That's a good question, but I don't think there is a solution.  I have a tex case that shocks me too.  For a while I thought the PCB was shorting to it, but then I realized it was just the shoes I was wearing... they pick up a ton of static.  So... try different shoes?  (and now you're probably going to say you aren't wearing shoes)

Offline Lipton

« Reply #472 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 21:40:12 »
Ah probably shoes, lucky I can use flipflops at work.... just warm up weather!

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #473 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 23:31:19 »
Wow, the cases are back on Originative, but at 450 instead of 375  :(

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline adamcobabe

« Reply #474 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 04:02:13 »
Wow, the cases are back on Originative, but at 450 instead of 375  :(

I think it may include a Novatouch keyboard... maybe. There's a bullet point with the following:

"Includes Novatouch in original case and CNC Aluminum case"

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #475 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 06:21:46 »
The Novatouch was included in the old price too.

I'm mostly sad because I missed out on the old price by only an hour or so. :(

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #476 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 07:01:51 »
Here's a quick sound test of my Novatouch with Ryan's case, Hypersphere's rings and some Krytox lube:

:)
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline norbauer

« Reply #477 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 09:43:11 »
Here's a quick sound test of my Novatouch with Ryan's case, Hypersphere's rings and some Krytox lube:

Thanks for the video Ramnes. I've been thinking of trying some hyperspheres, and this makes them seem very nice. :)

Offline Lipton

« Reply #479 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 11:31:47 »

Thanks for the video Ramnes. I've been thinking of trying some hyperspheres, and this makes them seem very nice. :)

I also installed some hypersphere rings and lubed my stabilizers when swapping case. Really happy I did (had my doubts when I first heard of them), the purchasing experience was great, he shipped them out a few hours after i made my order on ebay.

Had previously done a case swap on my masterkeys board. Really happy with the experience and the case both times. Well done Norbauer. Once  my MC Rebirth keycaps arrive and I get a new cable from Mimic I will have two endgame boards.

Should add: my first case was missing one of the screws that hold the top and bottom parts together. It does not make a difference however as 7 out of 8 screws is more than enough to hold them together. The 2nd case had an extremely minor anodizing imperfection on the side but its only noticeable from very specific angles under certain lighting conditions. Extremely satisfied with the cases but felt I should point these things out.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 February 2017, 11:57:27 by fine_italian_leather »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #480 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 12:49:58 »
Thanks for the awesome and much appreciated feedback!

The 2nd case had an extremely minor anodizing imperfection on the side but its only noticeable from very specific angles under certain lighting conditions. Extremely satisfied with the cases but felt I should point these things out.

I'm sorry to hear about even a very minor cosmetic flaw, but I'm glad you're not troubled by it. For whatever it's worth, I have fortunately found that any anodizing imperfections I have encountered so far on the cases can be removed with a bit of water, some Bon Ami powder, and a gentle rub with a paper towel.

I spoke to the factory about these small (and thankfully rare) residue spots, and they said they would normally have caught these spots and addressed them, except that I asked them to rush and get the cases in the air before the long Chinese New Year factory closings began—and thus there wasn't time to do one final close visual inspection of all surfaces after the cases came back from anodizing. Lesson learned for the future; don't plan any group buys for several weeks on either side of CNY. ;)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #481 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 18:03:12 »
Hey guys :)

I finally got my case today.

I am really impressed with the premium quality. It’s twice as heavy as those TEX TKL cases!

I went for the white one, but haven’t decided yet which set works best with it.

Thanks for the great GB - looking forward to Round 2  :thumb:

Offline clickstops

« Reply #482 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:03:04 »
I just posted this elsewhere so I'm sorry if you see it twice, wanted to share. LOVE this case. Thanks for doing such a great job throughout the drop Norbauer.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #483 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:17:25 »
I just posted this elsewhere so I'm sorry if you see it twice, wanted to share. LOVE this case. Thanks for doing such a great job throughout the drop Norbauer.

Show Image

Beautiful photo, clickstops! Thanks for sharing this.   :D

Offline nurbs

« Reply #484 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:34:53 »
The recess on the case looks great with a magnetic adapter.

Also, it is addicting.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #485 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:58:57 »

Also, it is addicting.

Nice! Where does one obtain such a thing?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #486 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 15:07:26 »
If anyone has an extra gray Novatouch alu case, hit me up!

Also, that magnetic adapter is awesome, where do you get it?

Offline nurbs

« Reply #487 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 15:09:46 »

Also, it is addicting.

Nice! Where does one obtain such a thing?

Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCZB2KR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro

Offline clickstops

« Reply #489 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 15:20:56 »
That's sweet, I'm going to definitely pick one up.

Beautiful photo, clickstops! Thanks for sharing this.   :D

For sure!
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2017, 15:32:54 by clickstops »

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #490 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 16:17:44 »
Is there going to be a Round 2? =)

I don't really want to spend $450 on a set from Originative when I already have the main board. (And the grey is already sold out).

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #491 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 16:19:31 »

I don't really want to spend $450 on a set from Originative when I already have the main board. (And the grey is already sold out).

I feel ya - I got two Novatouch's around, and I'd love to get an alu for one of them.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #492 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 16:39:10 »

Yes, absolutely. I'm just working out some final details with the factory, which should take just another few days.

If you're interested in participating in a second round, please fill out this quick, two-question, survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/H2YF2CX

I was going to combine r2 with a group buy for a RealForce cases, but that will take me a while to design and from what I can tell there isn't necessarily much cost advantage to batching the orders. And since the r2 cases dropped, folks keep bugging me to do a r2, so I figured might as well get that rolling soon. :D

If you haven't already, you can visit the Shopify store I set up for the last group buy, and I have sign-ups there on the homepage (bottom right) where you can join the mailing list, for folks who don't look at GH all the time. http://shop.norbauer.com

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #493 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 16:41:42 »

Yes, absolutely. I'm just working out some final details with the factory, which should take just another few days.

If you're interested in participating in a second round, please fill out this quick, two-question, survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/H2YF2CX

I was going to combine r2 with a group buy for a RealForce cases, but that will take me a while to design and from what I can tell there isn't necessarily much cost advantage to batching the orders. And since the r2 cases dropped, folks keep bugging me to do a r2, so I figured might as well get that rolling soon. :D

If you haven't already, you can visit the Shopify store I set up for the last group buy, and I have sign-ups there on the homepage (bottom right) where you can join the mailing list, for folks who don't look at GH all the time. http://shop.norbauer.com

Survey filled! I love this idea. I would buy it basically any day now.

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #494 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 16:44:22 »

Awesome, I'll wait for that then.

When you say Realforce... you mean 104 or 108-RGB or TKL? Cause I have many other Realforce boards that could use upgrades too =) I could lend out my Realforce-RGB if there's a chance we can get an aluminum case for it.

I only bought the Novatouch from Originative to pair it with this case and MX key-caps. They added the case options a few days *after* I had already ordered, and at a higher price than this GB.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2017, 16:47:08 by Blazestorm »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #495 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 17:59:38 »
and at a higher price than this GB.

I think Originative is doing the community a valuable service by keeping Novatouch boards readily available to the community in the US, and by making the group buy CoolerMaster cases available in an on-demand way. Remember that when we order cases through a group buy there is a non-trivial lead time while they are manufactured, shipped to me, and then re-shipped. When you buy from Originative, you're paying for the convenience of immediate gratification. I for one don't want to get in the business of shipping keyboard cases all day; it's more than enough doing the occasional group buy, believe me. ;) To support an on-demand e-commerce and fulfillment infrastructure like they have at Originative takes a lot and costs a lot. So, for whatever it's worth, I think their pricing is more than fair. But I'm happy to do a second group buy if people still want cases, for those who don't mind waiting; for everybody else, I recommend having a look at what Originative has for sale. :)

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline Viking_Robot

• Flickr
« Reply #497 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 18:11:09 »
If i could get a  case for my 87 RF i would lose my mind.  When is this happening?
Current Keyboards - TGR Jane CE WKL Blue Grey | TGR Jane v2 CE | TGR 910 RE | TGR 910 SE | TGR Alice/Police | TGR Tris | Keycult No2 TKL | Keycult No2 65 | Duck Octagon v3 Black | Duck Orion v3 WKL Silver |

Flickr

Offline norbauer

« Reply #498 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 18:19:42 »
If i could get a  case for my 87 RF i would lose my mind.  When is this happening?

I'm afraid the honest answer is "whenever I can get around to it." :) I've already got the spare 87U to experiment with and have been conducting some tests, but it'll probably be another month or two before I finalize a design. I want to see if I can come up with something creative and interesting. The RealForce has always been my first keyboard love.

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #499 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 18:38:09 »
and at a higher price than this GB.
I think Originative is doing the community a valuable service by keeping Novatouch boards readily available to the community in the US, and by making the group buy CoolerMaster cases available in an on-demand way.

I agree that it is nice for the community to have. Just that the prices feel excessive at times, and constantly changing(increasing). As someone else mentioned, the price went from $375 to $450 since the last time they listed. Why the increased cost? Are they really helping the community or helping to line their pockets? I see arguments both ways... =)

I think Amazon or another 3rd party fulfillment service could serve the same purpose with a lot less overhead and price fluctuation than Originative. I found some that have flexible pricing that could support group buys, so you don't even have to deal w/ shipping the cases for your group buy.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing what's coming up next. Thanks.