Author Topic: So what are some other 'buy it once, it lasts a lifetime' type products?  (Read 49997 times)

Offline ThirdLap

Since rediscovering the Model M, I've become fascinated by the idea of products of considerably higher-than-average durability and quality.  I'm talking about goods that might cost a bit more, but in turn provide a much longer usable life... potentially a lifetime of use.

I imagine high-end tools would be a good example, and I have a feeling I will get at least 250k miles out of my Honda Civic.  My Sennheiser headphones also seem like they will be around for a while.

What products have you guys found that meet this criteria?

Current list of suggestions:

High-end hand and power tools (DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Festool,  Snap-On, Mac, Bosch, Stanley, old Craftsman)
Ping golf clubs (lifetime warranty)
Good cutlery (Wüsthof, Henckels, Hattori, Victorinox, Global, etc)
Cars known for their reliability (Honda, Toyota, old Land Rovers, some old Detroit iron)
Good cast iron pans
Guns
Knives
Bicycles
Legos
Straight razors
Military coats
LL Bean boots and other products (lifetime product replacement/money back guarantee)
High end speakers
Photography gear
High end sewing machines (Pfaff, Bernina, Janome, old Singers, etc)
Quality flashlights
Quality hardwood furniture (dovetail/mortise/tenon joints, drawers pull out smoothly, countersunk screws, good bracing, drawer interiors sanded smooth, etc)
Quality wristwatches
Leather Jackets
Musical Instruments
Jewelry
Cutting boards
Art
Tilley hats
Kitchen Appliances (Bamix, KitchenAid, Miele, etc)

Offline instantkamera

So what are some other 'buy it once, it lasts a lifetime' type products?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 09:13:55 »
I don't actually know how great Craftsman tools are, but I guess they do have a lifetime warranty.

I have a 99 civic with 340K Kms. One of my first cars was an 85 golf (almost my age) that had 350K km. Last time I was home (very small town) someone was still driving it.

Ping golf clubs. Supposedly have a lifetime warranty and if you pick up a used set and take it to a ping fitter they will make adjustments and check loft/lie angles etc. Refferred to by many ping owners as "The family".

Also a hugely counterfeited club from what I have seen.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 09:38:13 »
Good cutlery.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 09:39:48 »
I think I saw Toyota or Nissan with 700tkm+ in car dealership's show room...

Proper cast-iron pans, must last for ever and be nearly indestructible in normal use. Acctualy most other stuff made from cast iron and taken care properly...

Modern electronics just won't cut lifetime last...

Hmm, btw do I over use ... ?
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 09:40:10 »
Cast iron pans. If they are properly oiled and "burned in" and not cleaned with any type of dishwashing fluid, then they do have a "non-stick coating" and will last practically forever. I cook using pans that I inherited from my grandparents and must be at least 50 years old.
Compare these agains cheap modern teflon pans that scratch too easily or get bent out of shape because they can't handle the heat.

Guns and bicycles. The are made of hard metals. When they have been cleaned and lubricated, they behave as if they had never been used. They have exchangeable parts, so that if one fails, it does not bring the whole item down with it. No gun maker makes guns that you can use only once (even though, I think they should ...).

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 09:43:59 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;212177
Good cutlery.

+1 for cutlery, although I don't have the best stuff ever. we have onieda stainless steel set that I expect to take everyday beating for quite a while.

I also just bought henckels twin signature knives for the kitchen. They weren't the best they make either but good value.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 09:47:19 »
Quote from: instantkamera;212183
+1 for cutlery, although I don't have the best stuff ever. we have onieda stainless steel set that I expect to take everyday beating for quite a while.

I also just bought henckels twin signature knives for the kitchen. They weren't the best they make either but good value.

Locally Hackman pretty much does it too for cuttlery, on other hand it's hard to see what could go wrong with solid piece of stainless steel... If not of course forcefully bented or something similiar...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 09:50:04 »
Quote from: Ekaros;212184
Locally Hackman pretty much does it too for cuttlery, on other hand it's hard to see what could go wrong with solid piece of stainless steel... If not of course forcefully bented or something similiar...

yeah, if they are used for their intended purpose, they will be fine. In fact, mine are hefty enough to withstand the occasional MacGyver-ing.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 10:31:16 »
Quote from: instantkamera;212188
yeah, if they are used for their intended purpose, they will be fine. In fact, mine are hefty enough to withstand the occasional MacGyver-ing.

Pins of forks may take the most damage, also coffee spoons aren't too durable cold "north-european" ice cream can be too tough and bend them... Still I think only proper way to destroy those is either corrosion or electric current(got one chinese type knife destroyed by short-circuiting power-cord...)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 10:35:23 »
youa re right about the forks, but our spoons seem fine with ice cream out of our malfunctioning freezer that turns everything into hard cement. Butter knives get messed around with, great in a pinch if you don't have a keycap puller (but more likely to damage the caps than the knife :D)

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 10:42:29 »
Bicycles are a natural example. My road bike is a Schwinn Le Tour, originally purchased by my Aunt in 1976. I ride it to work every day. Most of the components are original, and work fine after 34 years of off and on maintenance, despite the hard riding.

The Le Tour was not a high-end bicycle, either. It was just built with durability in mind.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 10:57:00 »
Finnish Army bicycles will likely last over anything, being army anyway, on other hand they aren't the best for everyday use, heavy and quite inefficient, my own Helkama feels much lighter(or maybe it's just 10kg extra you are carying)... Hmm, acctualy army stuff is good indicator of stuff that last almost forever in hard use, like pakki(mess kit) german Kochgeschirr-model likely some of them still given to users are from second World War...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 11:06:02 »
Quote from: instantkamera;212183
I also just bought henckels twin signature knives for the kitchen.

I have a Henckels Twin knife too, though this one is for removing hairs from my face.

Straight razors last several lifetimes if looked after, unlike the expensive, disposable junk that Gillette etc. have most people addicted to. Razors from the 19th century or even earlier are highly prized - and used for shaving by enthusiasts - when they turn up in good condition.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 11:23:46 »
Army coats last forever. My coats which came from Bob's Surplus are nice and warm (Very handy in New England) and have withstood 40 years of HARD use.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 11:25:08 »
L.L. Bean boots.  Lifetime warranty, even for normal wear and tear.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 11:26:26 »
So they got a warrantee for the lifetime of the product. That means when they're ruined, the warrantee expires.

That's what I've always joked about with lifetime warrantees.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 11:53:35 »
Guns. My dad's a collector and has a large collection ranging from an old 1848 Mississippi musket, to a 1980s Czech vz. 82. A properly maintained gun can last a century. He picked up a bunch of '88 (1988) German bolt action rifles for $5 each that had been stored in a warehouse and transported with bulldozers. He got eight and scavenged parts and built five, that all function like brand new.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 11:55:45 »
Quote from: ThirdLap;212164

and I have a feeling I will get at least 250k miles out of my Honda Civic.  

incidentally, my honda civic (hatchback) lasted 18 years :-D I loved that thing to death. What a scrappy trooper.
In the end when it died btw it was my fault. That car seriously had another 10 years in it. I'm not joking.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline firestorm

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 12:34:03 »
Good cutlery is a good one.  I'd add good pots and pans, as well as many kitchen gadgets (e.g. Kitchaid stand mixers, Cuisinart food processors, etc...)

Good speakers can last a lifetime, or close to it.

Photography gear (with exception to DSLR bodies) can be a good one.

Speaking of cars... any car can easily hit 200k miles or more these days.  We drove a '97 Olds Cutlass to 198k miles and gave it away for $1300 because the windshield was cracked, the A/C needed a new compressor and the tires were worn.  Paint still looked new and it required minimal repair before that.

FWIW, Craftsman tools in general - as of 15-20 years ago - are nearly junk, certainly when compared to pro stuff: Snap-on, Mac, Matco, Cornwall, etc...  I own a bunch, but it's because they're good enough for the home DIY'er and hand tools (i.e. NOT power tools or some precision tools) have a lifetime warranty.  Their "Pro" stuff is decent.  My Husky torque wrench is 10x better than the cheaper Craftman "Digi-torque" that I have (which does NOT have a lifetime warranty.)

Tools in general are a good lifetime investment though.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 12:37:18 »
It is kinda funny this came up. After reading this and the thread about how there are hardcore pen users/collectors, I was just thinking to myself that I am an extremely concious consumer. I generally try to research things (to the point of insanity) before I buy. Well, believe it or not I do the same thing for things Im not even buying FOR ME, or am the least bit interested in. Case in point, the wife is looking for a new sewing machine. She started telling me all about the features and **** she wanted and the next thing I know, I'm scouring the net for info on sewing machines.

For what it is worth, be still haven't decided between A Pfaff, Bernina, or Janome. Pfaff don't have as many features at the price point that the Janome does... but of the three I have heard the LEAST bad stuff about Pfaff.

Anyone have a sewing machine they would pu ton the list of:
 'buy it once, it lasts a lifetime' type products
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 August 2010, 12:39:27 by instantkamera »

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 12:46:11 »
Quote from: instantkamera;212277
Anyone have a sewing machine they would pu ton the list of:
 'buy it once, it lasts a lifetime' type products

My Mother still has one of these:

Of course, it's rather light on 'features', but it could easily last another century!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 13:18:46 »
Quote from: wellington1869;212258
incidentally, my honda civic (hatchback) lasted 18 years :-D I loved that thing to death. What a scrappy trooper.
In the end when it died btw it was my fault. That car seriously had another 10 years in it. I'm not joking.

My truck's lasted 56 years.

Offline Babbylar

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 13:39:28 »
A decent microwave. Mine is still going after 20 years.
Daily Driver: Leopold FC500R (Cherry Red)
Other Keyboards: Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS), Kinesis Contoured Essential (MX Brown), Keytronic LT Designer (Dome)
Previously Owned Keyboards: IBM Model M Spacesaver (BS), Compaq MX 11800 (MX Brown), TECHcessories Dinokidz (ALPS), Apple Aluminium Keyboard (Scissor)
Wishlist: Ducky (MX Black), IBM M13 (BS), Cherry G80-8200 (MX Clear), KBT Pure (MX Blue), Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition (MX Brown)

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 13:43:44 »
Quote from: Babbylar;212303

Somewhat it sad that before kitchen appliances lasted 15-20 years(in my house the electric-oven/stove, fridge/freezer and dishwasher each lasted at least 15 years I think, and fridge still going strong for 20 year which is about my age...)
And now just 3-4 years at worst...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline firestorm

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 14:43:06 »
I dunno... it's kinda hit and miss with appliances, but our Whirlpool stuff has been great.  We had a problem with our dishwasher, but that was because it was left partially open and liquid was spilled down into the latch in the door.  I replaced the control board and control panel, and it's good as new (and looked new again.)  It's all 11-12 years old now.

What I find ironic is, if you spend over $1000 USD on any appliance, it's appears that it's more likely it will fail.  I know too many people with high end front load clothes washers and high end "Pro" ranges that failed in under 12 months.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 14:53:38 »
Quote from: firestorm;212349
I dunno... it's kinda hit and miss with appliances, but our Whirlpool stuff has been great.  We had a problem with our dishwasher, but that was because it was left partially open and liquid was spilled down into the latch in the door.  I replaced the control board and control panel, and it's good as new (and looked new again.)  It's all 11-12 years old now.

What I find ironic is, if you spend over $1000 USD on any appliance, it's appears that it's more likely it will fail.  I know too many people with high end front load clothes washers and high end "Pro" ranges that failed in under 12 months.

Issue is realy electronics most of time, I have heard. On cheaper models the cheapness plastics/ceramics insted of metal, build quality has gone down...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 14:56:34 »
Quote from: instantkamera;212277
For what it is worth, be still haven't decided between A Pfaff, Bernina, or Janome. Pfaff don't have as many features at the price point that the Janome does... but of the three I have heard the LEAST bad stuff about Pfaff.

My mom has a Pfaff that she uses all the time.  She inherited it from her grandmother, so they must be pretty good.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 15:00:08 »
Quote from: ripster;212355
Anything with a rechargeable battery is NOT going to make this list.

I particularly despise Dustbusters for this.

Fo' sho'.  My Braun razor is about to bite the dust after about 6 years of good service.

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 15:02:56 »
Quote from: ripster;212355
Anything with a rechargeable battery is NOT going to make this list.

Most modern LED flashlights (can take rechargeables and) should last a lifetime, but technology keeps improving so they are soon abandoned by choice. There is an upper practical limit on useable brightnesses though. I doubt the day will come when everyone carries a portable sun with them.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 17:16:23 »
Well, I guess the 5150 and other crap like that could been seen as "buy it once". The PC 300 series is still going stong as well.

Contrary to the common view, a lot of the modern IBM stuff does last a long time. A friend of mine has his whole house full of IBM stuff that's been running 24/7 for years, none of it has broken (servers, intellistations, thinkcentres etc).

Quote from: Babbylar;212303

Microwaves are bad for your health (very bad). I prefer cooking with ovens (or toaster ovens). Oh and the old stoves cook SO MUCH better.

Food is ruined by microwaves, tastes so horrible... for those two reasons (bad taste & health), I never used a microwave in, probably 3 years now.

Quote from: microsoft windows;212290
My truck's lasted 56 years.

Ford?

I like old American vehicles, they were actually built properly instead of these stupid front-wheel drive mechanisms (crowding the motor & often needing u-joint replacements), power steering (which often leaks), oh and Japanese motors, if the timing belt goes, all the pistons smash into eachother. Never had that problem before.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 17:19:46 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;212384
Well, I guess the 5150 and other crap like that could been seen as "buy it once". The PC 300 series is still going stong as well.

Contrary to the common view, a lot of the modern IBM stuff does last a long time. A friend of mine has his whole house full of IBM stuff that's been running 24/7 for years, none of it has broken (servers, intellistations, thinkcentres etc).

Just wait for that single power shortage... Could kill a lot, generaly stuff is fine as long as it's stays on power-cycle is one of the major killer of HDDs atleast...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 17:39:25 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;212384
Food is ruined by microwaves, tastes so horrible... for those two reasons (bad taste & health), I never used a microwave in, probably 3 years now.

There is a simple solution. Turn the power down. Sadly this is an alien concept to most people. Microwaves only cook badly because they superheat the outside so fast that the heat can't distribute evenly. Turn down the power, and guess what - they behave much more like conventional cooking devices.

My Microwave is insanely old. Around 25 years or more? I keep expecting/hoping it will die, but it doesn't. As much as I'd like a fancier model I suppose it's better to have something reliable.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 17:57:35 »
I've had this little baby on my keychain for about 12 years now -

Its the 'midnight manager' model. best features:

-the tiny pen! incredibly useful and people seem the most impressed by the pen feature. Refills are a mere $3 for 2, with free shipping, from swissknifeshop.com.
-scissors - much more handy than the knife, actually
-LED light - surprisingly handy, saved the day on more than one occasion
-philips head screwdriver is a nice addition for computer work
-flathead screwdriver is okay in a pinch

its very small and unobtrusive on the keychain. Very well made, everything is still tight and no signs of rust.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 August 2010, 18:07:09 by wellington1869 »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 18:15:54 »
My microwave has a quirk: At random instances, the timer hicks up and does not count down. It can take years between incidents, though. Yes, it has a mechanical timer.
I forgive it, though because unlike more modern ovens it actually has a decent interface: one dial for power and one dial for timer. That's all the interface you need!

My mom got a new kitchen recently, with all new appliances, including a microwave oven.
The new microwave oven's interface does not show the active power setting except during only a second after you have clicked the "volume" button, which of course only toggles between power settings. That means that to make it show the power setting, you have to change it!
But one thing that it does show is each second that it counts down from "on" to "eco" (standby) mode. The only difference in usage between "on" and standby is that the display does not light up. It goes on again if you click any button. Completely useless! Poor usability engineering!
If an appliance is truly "eco", then it should not waste any power in standby either. My microwave oven does not.

Offline firestorm

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 19:46:54 »
So long as we're bashing modern engineering of appliances... my favorite of late was a high end washing machine featuring a USB Port for firmware updates.  I can't find it again, but it appears Whirlpool will be adding that feature to their new models.
USB Technology Being Incorporated into Whirlpool Washing Machines

I can't quite imagine what they might have forgotten during development that would warrant a software update, other than fixes for sloppy engineering (likely for hardware and software.)

What I want is a washing machine with network connectivity and sends me an email or text when the laundry is clean.  Bonus points for a machine with attitude and sends messages like, "Holy crap Batman!  That was one dirty load.  Did you crap your pants again?"

Offline ironman31

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 20:04:35 »
Quote from: firestorm;212349

Lol, I work for an appliance store and anything high end nowadays is crap. Anything too complicated usually fails within a year or two. The older stuff on the other hand pretty much lasts a lifetime. I picked up a freezer last week that was bought in 1969 and was still working.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 13 August 2010, 21:59:13 »
Quote from: ironman31;212439
Lol, I work for an appliance store and anything high end nowadays is crap.

I have a complaint. My Samsung American-style fridge freezer says in the manual that it has self-closing doors. I left the door open for twenty minutes, and while it did flash and bleep to warn me, it did not close the door by itself. Turns out it is referring to the magnetic seal when it says self-closing. Please pass on my displeasure.

Having said that, it has since lasted many years with no significant faults, despite having too many bells and whistles for its own good.

Offline ThirdLap

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 14 August 2010, 00:28:18 »
Thought of a few more.  Kitchen appliances, like this KitchenAid Mixer I bought my wife a few years ago.  Definitely a lifetime item, if only because she uses it maybe twice a year. ;)

Power tools from the higher end manufacturers like Makita, Milwaukee, and Dewalt, etc would be another one.

Quality wood furniture, like dressers, bookcases, and desks can last generations.  The put-it-together-yourself stuff is usually a fraction of the cost, but that stuff usually only lasts 5-10 years (at best).

Think I'll compile all this stuff and edit it into the first post.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 14 August 2010, 05:15:12 »
musical instruments deserve attention on this list.  my guitars will most likely outlive me by decades or more...
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline J888www

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 14 August 2010, 06:13:41 »
In some Countries, a Wife, the best cleaning product available.
They also have the ability to produce babies, cook, speak, etcetera. very flexible, these Wives.
Unfortunately, some have issues of being rebellious, over-spending and of general nuisance.
:tongue:
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 August 2010, 06:25:24 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 14 August 2010, 07:23:21 »
Quote from: J888www;212503
In some Countries, a Wife, the best cleaning product available.
They also have the ability to produce babies, cook, speak, etcetera. very flexible, these Wives.
Unfortunately, some have issues of being rebellious, over-spending and of general nuisance.
:tongue:

Atleast western models have some times quite a high upkeep cost, atleast so have I heard, in long run some services might be cheper to be out-sourced than getting wife...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Manyak

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 14 August 2010, 07:49:52 »
Really good watches will last forever - like Rolex and Seiko and stuff.
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 14 August 2010, 08:27:30 »
BOOYAH on the Civics FTW!  (145,000 miles on my '95 ex coupe - the most expensive thing i own, but helluva return! I told the dealer I planned to drive it "until the wheels fell off" - well, I guess past that since the front wheel did fall off twice already.  I even have a video of it on YouTube):
 http://www.youtube.com/v/meL94si2qL0

But both times were related to a busted/tampered with pin and the first time it was kind enough to kneel right at my mom's front door as I pulled into the parking spot.  Also - when my clutch went on the trip from LA to Vegas, it did so as we pulled into the parking spot at the hotel as well.  Very considerate vehicle even when it gave me trouble.  Plus the plastic stuffs on the inside isn't even cracking while the bits of trim in other vehicles that age are so brittle it practically turns to dust when you push on it with a finger.  True it was probably on the expensive end of the economy scale, but never a disappointment.

My TempurPedic mattress is becoming an expense I would definitely bet on if I had to even without the same cash flow I had when I bought mine the first time - A good night's sleep is invaluable.  

A very good leather jacket is a sound investment also, and good paintbrushes.  Good cookware is great, though my fav is still the plain little iron skillet that Gramps used.  Also really old tools seem better made than the new ones materials wise, and there is much difference between high and low end even in screwdriver bits.  Good ones fit and don't strip or twist and warp.  Solid oak furniture is a PITA to move, but a far cry from any sort of pressboard stuff that disintegrates after a few years.

There was a time when I would have said a Sony Trinitron TV was a solid,  but those days are no longer.  My Vaio desktop and my Samsung 170mp are both almost 10 years old though.  I almost got a G4 instead, but no way I'd be typing on that now if I had.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 August 2010, 08:33:28 by Voixdelion »
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline ironman31

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 14 August 2010, 22:34:21 »
Quote from: Rajagra;212458
I have a complaint. My Samsung American-style fridge freezer says in the manual that it has self-closing doors. I left the door open for twenty minutes, and while it did flash and bleep to warn me, it did not close the door by itself. Turns out it is referring to the magnetic seal when it says self-closing. Please pass on my displeasure.

Having said that, it has since lasted many years with no significant faults, despite having too many bells and whistles for its own good.

You have to adjust the fridge to lean slightly back, so when the doors are about half way open, they will close by themselves.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Konrad

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 15 August 2010, 07:45:47 »
Craftsman tools are not what I'd call highest quality.  They're just good enough to avoid being called poor quality, available everywhere, and generally inexpensive.

But I'm with ripster ... lego lasts forever.  Archeologists of the distant future will wonder what our civilization did with all those countless kabillions of cleverly interlocking indestructible little ABS blocks.

Offline Konrad

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 15 August 2010, 10:14:48 »
At the risk of seeming a wee bit gauche: who's lifetime that the guarantee cover?  Yours or the artist's?

Offline vils

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 15 August 2010, 16:29:22 »
I still use the enameled cast iron dutch ovens my grandparents got as a wedding gift. Good pots and pans will outlast everything. Good kitchen knives are a very nice long time investment (you mentioned Hattori, their FH series are good value). A quality cutting board will live almost forever and please you until your kids inherit it (them).
My straight razors were made before famine stopped being a problem in Sweden and they serves me well.
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline vils

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 15 August 2010, 16:44:07 »
Quote from: ripster;212822
Good question.  I'll ask him since my penis is kinda big and those ashes alone may fill it up.

What's your nick at lpsg.org?
8" are almost too short for a decent husband kitchen knife.
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 15 August 2010, 17:26:27 »
****, all the married men (and women) here and no one states the obv??