Author Topic: iTunes replacement  (Read 4933 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
iTunes replacement
« on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 05:27:27 »
For a long time I've been using iTunes on a Mac to download podcasts and sync them to various iOS devices, which I then listen to whilst commuting during the week.

My workflow is as follows:

1. download podcasts on the computer on a daily basis
2. sync the podcasts to an iOS device
3. listen to podcasts on the iOS device whilst commuting during the working week
4. if I'm part way through a podcast during the week, then listen to the rest of it during the next day's commute
5. if I'm part way through a podcast as at Friday afternoon, then listen to the end of it on the computer on the weekend so I can start a fresh podcast on Monday

It's been working well for many years, but very recently has started misbehaving in a way that is disruptive to my podcast experience.

At step 2, while syncing, any podcasts that I am part way through listening to on iOS are flagged as "not downloaded" on the iOS device.  The iOS device repeatedly refuses to download them (gets 99% the way through and reports an error).  I can only listen to the rest of these on the computer.

That means that by the end of the week I have up to 5 half-listened podcasts that I can't download directly on the iOS device, won't sync play position to the iOS device, and I can only listen to them on the computer.

Because of the number of steps to reproduce this, I haven't yet been able to find anyone else on the internet with the same problem (although there do seem to be many other problems with iTunes and podcasts).

So the questions are:

1. Has anyone else experienced this and fixed it, and what was the fix?

2. Alternatively what is some other software that will allow me to download podcasts on the computer and sync them to an iOS device, preferably also syncing the play position so that I can finish listening to a podcast on the computer?

TL;DR I've just about had it with Apple's poor podcast management - what is some alternative Mac-based software to download podcasts on a Mac, sync them to an iOS device, and listen to them from iOS while commuting?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: iTunes replacement
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 05:45:14 »
get Downcast. problem solved.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 06:00:38 »
Downcast for Mac requires OS X 10.8+ - I have 10.6 :(

But that's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of.  Anything else like that?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 07:15:32 »
Not that I know off.

I've been using it for years and while its not perfect and has a few bugs now and again, its brilliant and has been keeping me going ever since they ****ing killed the old working podcast stuff that iphones/itunes came with.
I've never looked back.

Why not update your mac tho??

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 08:01:26 »
Get a PC and trade your iPhone for two (better) android devices
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 08:03:29 »
trade your iPhone for two (better) android devices

lmao @ this ****

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 08:19:04 »
Downcast for Mac requires OS X 10.8+ - I have 10.6 :(

But that's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of.  Anything else like that?

Pocket Casts should work well for you.

Also, upgrade your OS X. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 16:52:07 »
OS upgrade is on the cards, but lack of disk space presents ongoing difficulties.  I have a replacement 1TB drive, but haven't found the time to backup everything, pull the Mac apart, replace hard drive, put it all back together, install OS, reinstall apps, restore data.

The alternative is to just buy a new Mac, even a refurb model, but I keep finding myself spending most of my money on keycap sets.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 19:48:15 »
Does the iOS device not have wifi? I just do all my podcast business from there. Way, way, way easier than messing around with syncing. God, iTunes is HORRIBLE with that stuff.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 21:35:11 »
Does the iOS device not have wifi? I just do all my podcast business from there. Way, way, way easier than messing around with syncing. God, iTunes is HORRIBLE with that stuff.

It has, but it's a pain to download them on there, plus do they actually transfer to the Mac so I can listen to them on the Mac on the weekend?

Or do you mean will the partially listened podcasts (that appear as such in iTunes but show as not downloaded on the iOS device) download again on iOS?  Generally not, although one actually did this morning.  I was surprised - that is the first one that has worked.  Dozens of times I have tried in the past few weeks to get them to download again on iOS, without luck.  But one actually did download on iOS this omrning!

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 05:54:02 »
Honestly, I have no clue. I haven't synced my Mac and iPhone in ages. I do most of my music through Amazon, so that's all wireless. I download my podcasts on my iOS device and then again on my Mac if I want to listen on it when I have time. I would say the podcast listening percentages are as follows for me:

iPhone: 90%
Mac/other: 10%

What's the issue you have with downloading them from your iOS device? I have found it to be pretty painless with the last few versions of iOS.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 06:09:41 »
Small update: no podcasts at all would play on my commute home this afternoon, so I turned the iOS device completely off, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on.

Amazingly all podcasts, including those partially listened, played!

I left one half listened when I got home, downloaded today's updates and synced.  So far it seems that the half-listened podcast is still sitting ready to go on iOS.

So maybe it was something as simple as turning it off and on again.

I'll wait a few days, with a few more half-listened podcasts, before I decide whether it is working sufficiently well again.

During the meanwhile if anyone has any other suggestions for alternatives to iTunes and Podcasts app, please say :)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 06:58:55 »
Downcast m8 I use it for 7+ podcasts including two that use login and password information as you have to pay to access them. Every hour when I have wi-fi the app checks to see if there is a new one to download from my subs list and downloads it while i have wifi (you can enable data downloading but I've not).

If I don't finish listening to it on my journey my iphone has a small speaker on the bottom that allows me to listen to stuff whem im at my PC.

it will solve your problems.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 17:13:11 »
I take back my earlier surmise.

The half-listened podcast from last night now indicates I need to download it again.

Plus I listen to two news podcasts each morning.  I downloaded and synced yesterday and over night editions to the iOS device this morning, and also manually deleted yesterday's episodes from both iTunes and the iOS device.  Somehow iOS managed to start playing yesterday's deleted episode by itself.

Apple/iTunes - why has thou forsaken me :(

Downcast is looking better, but I still need to upgrade the Mac, which will take more time than I have at the moment, or replace it (preferred) which will take more money than I have at the moment.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 18:27:32 »
I don't listen to podcast, so I'm not sure if this will solve your issue but the creator of Instapaper went and build a podcast app because of all the limitations he seen in many of the players/solutions. Try it https://overcast.fm

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 22:39:49 »
I don't listen to podcast, so I'm not sure if this will solve your issue but the creator of Instapaper went and build a podcast app because of all the limitations he seen in many of the players/solutions. Try it https://overcast.fm

Overcast requires iOS 8.3 or later (I have 7.1.something) :(

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 01:28:40 »
Use downcast on your phone

It just works

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 01:38:37 »
Ok, quick question about Downcast - can you download a history of episodes for a newly discovered podcast?  And how easy is it?

I recently found Skeptoid and I kinda like it, so I'm going back thru the history, all the way from 2010 or something.  They are only 10 to 15 minute episodes.  I have about 300 to go.  How easy is it to download these in Downcast?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 02:23:47 »
Yup! Super easy, example;

Select the podcast you want;

Go on 'other episodes';

Download what you need. You can manually add podcasts from urls if you need too (I had too for this premium podcast for example, which also uses login information).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 05:28:27 »
One last question (on the verge of buying Downcast) - many of the reviews of the current version say it keeps crashing or won't open.  Obviously I can't purchase an older version, and I don't want to take a step backwards in basic app stability.

Any issues with this version crashing?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 05:41:52 »
They update it a lot (weekly) and I've not had any issues, but as with all software updates come and sometimes **** **** up, other times they don't.

On an iphone 6 128gb mine ran perfectly this morning while listening to the Bombcast.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 06:02:03 »
They update it a lot (weekly) and I've not had any issues, but as with all software updates come and sometimes **** **** up, other times they don't.

On an iphone 6 128gb mine ran perfectly this morning while listening to the Bombcast.

Purchased!

Thanks for the recommendation.  I've run out of time tonight, but I'll have a play with it over the next couple of days and let you know how it goes.

Here's hoping! :)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 06:10:32 »
Good luck m8 and I hope it does all you hope and wish!

When i moved from the itunes podcast thing to Downcast I was shocked at how much more control I had over my podcasts and the player

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 21:35:35 »
I've added the podcasts I regularly listen to (actually surprisingly few of them, many I used to listen to have ceased).

Downcast downloaded the last episode for each, most of which I have already listened to, so I deleted those.

I have downloaded a couple of dozen Skeptoid episodes (they are only small).

So now I'm in a position to start using Downcast to listen to them during commute.  First opportunity tonight, on the way home.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 06:06:48 »
After a couple of days of using Downcast during my commutes - so far so good :)

Not sure about the automatic downloading of new episodes on the iOS device, it only seems to download when I manually refresh (by dragging down).

Adding many historical episodes of Skeptoid is relatively painless - I only have so much storage so I add a dozen or so at a time, then wait until I've listened to them before adding more.  Curiously Downcast found all episodes from number 1, whereas iTunes only starts at 200 or something.

One thing I do like is the little bits of extra information here and there in the interface - how many podcasts it has got to go whilst refreshing, number and total size of downloads, how many new, partially listened, and deleted episodes each podcast has.  How it separates podcasts with new episodes at the top, and ones with no new episodes at the bottom.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 06:20:27 »
Glad your enjoying it!

and you can make it check for new episodes you just have to dig around with the pretty impressive settings menu!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 11:42:53 »
I don't know about podcasts, my friend uses Iheartradio. Though for music and Internet radio (like pandora), I use google play now. It's amazing. $9.99 a month unlimited skips and no ads. Love it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 19:53:09 »
Bad situation - I updated from 2.8.30 to 2.8.31 and it wouldn't open.  The splash screen appeared, then it just crashed, repeatedly :(

I uninstalled it, recovered the older version, and reinstalled that on the iOS device.

Now it opens, but all the settings and podcasts were lost.

I subsequently resubscribed to everything, redownloaded those old episodes I wanted, and I will add this app to the short list of apps that I won't update due to problems with newer versions.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 03:45:00 »
:/ sometimes it crashes for me on load up but it will just open fine it I open it again :/ what phone are you using it on?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 06:53:00 »
:/ sometimes it crashes for me on load up but it will just open fine it I open it again :/ what phone are you using it on?

I tried starting it a dozen times, stopping the process inbetween.  No luck - it consistently crashed almost as soon as the splash screen appeared.

iOS 7.1.2 on iPhone 4.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 06:59:08 »
Oh, iPhone 4.

My gf has one of those, she hates it but dosnt care about phones enough to upgrade it... What's ur excuse? :P

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 09:01:24 »
Yeah my mother in law has one of those too. My 5 is fast enough for me but the 4 was too slow. Ill get the 6 soon though since some things are starting to lag finally.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 09:30:59 »
Yeah my mother in law has one of those too. My 5 is fast enough for me but the 4 was too slow. Ill get the 6 soon though since some things are starting to lag finally.
man, I thought you already have a 6? What's stopping you?
(some how, I had a deja vu I have asked you this question a few pages ago, Dustin)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 10:11:59 »
man, I thought you already have a 6? What's stopping you?
(some how, I had a deja vu I have asked you this question a few pages ago, Dustin)

Haha waiting for my wife's plan to be up. We're both upgrading from 5 to 6! :)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 10:19:58 »
Might as well wait for 6S :)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 10:21:44 »
Might as well wait for 6S :)

Yeah lol if you've waited this long might as well wait a few more months and get a 6S for the same price as a 6 now

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 15:10:47 »
Oh, iPhone 4.

My gf has one of those, she hates it but dosnt care about phones enough to upgrade it... What's ur excuse? :P

Lack of funds :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 22:50:15 »
Another month or so later, and here's an update.

Downcast is working very well :)

It has crashed only once since I downgraded to the original version (the newer version would not start at all).

Refreshing podcasts can take a couple of minutes, but I think that's partly due to the speed of the device I'm running it on.

Also opening or switching to the app initially seems to hang for 3 or 4 seconds, but then recovers.  Again probably due to the device it's running on.

So thank you baldgye for the excellent suggestion :D

If I ever upgrade my Mac I will look into the Mac version so I can sync podcasts between the Mac and the portable devices again.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 03:12:35 »
Glad you like it!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 18:28:16 »
Downcast on iOS is continuing to work well.

Now that I have upgraded to OS X 10.9 I tried to install Downcast for OS X, only to find that it now requires 10.10 or later.