Author Topic: Macintosh computers in 2015: Why?  (Read 12073 times)

Offline dante

Macintosh computers in 2015: Why?
« on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 23:14:09 »
?

Offline Belfong

Re: Macintosh computers in 2015: Why?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 23:19:45 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 23:22:48 »
They haven't been Macintosh computers since 1998, so I don't know what you're talking about.

- posted with my 2014 MacBook Pro

Offline dimamantra

• | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 16:08:14 »
The 2015 model MBPs are pretty restrictive, even for Apple's standards.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 16:17:38 »

because, pure nostalgia for 80's kids.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 20:57:37 »
Show Image

if this is not photoshopped, it's an awesome rig! seriously awesome!

Offline Axollott

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 21:10:37 »
I use a late 2011 macbook pro. This is most probably the last Mac i'll ever have. All their new product line is just non-sense. Even the retina models, either you buy top of the line with them or forget of having a capable computer for more than 2-3 years, there is no way to upgrade it yourself.

Offline dimamantra

• | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 21:45:44 »
I use a late 2011 macbook pro. This is most probably the last Mac i'll ever have. All their new product line is just non-sense. Even the retina models, either you buy top of the line with them or forget of having a capable computer for more than 2-3 years, there is no way to upgrade it yourself.

Pretty much. Next time around I'm getting a nice laptop and throwing Linux on it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 21:51:33 »

Pretty much. Next time around I'm getting a nice laptop and throwing Linux on it.

Exactly what are ya'll planning to upgrade on a laptop?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 00:09:02 »
Show Image

Oh SH1T, is this for real, can you actually buy it from Apple now?

GAWDamn, they know how to tweak my old wallet just right here, YES I would buy it straight away if it's available here in Convict Town.

Offline dimamantra

• | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 00:44:59 »

RAM  :p     ;D    :D

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 01:25:49 »
Show Image

Oh SH1T, is this for real, can you actually buy it from Apple now?

GAWDamn, they know how to tweak my old wallet just right here, YES I would buy it straight away if it's available here in Convict Town.

From what I remember it was some random company that designed it, not sure any got made

Offline Axollott

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 02:10:51 »

RAM and drives. Mine has already an aftermarket ssd and a additional 1 TB drive in the optical bay slot, you can΄t do that in recent models.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 07:39:32 »
I completely agree. Every generation they strip away another upgrade vector and it influences the market heavily.

That said, I'll hold on to my Mac mini that I have until it explodes. I can upgrade RAM and HDD. I feel like Apple has blessed me for that right.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 07:41:04 »
As a non apple user the macbook's are really appealing. They lack ports, but for everything else they are pretty fine... and the build quality is pretty god damn nice.

Seems like Since Sony pulled out and Dell gave up only Apple is making good looking laptops

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 07:48:27 »
You mean the Macbook with one port? Eww.

I love OS X and like Apple hardware when it works right (Applecare is an invaluable commodity, kids), but the Macbook looks like it's just a bad generation-one product. I'll be proved wrong when it sells 100 million units and cures cancer, but whatever. I prefer a computer with at least ONE USB and a place to charge concurrently.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 07:51:06 »
You mean the Macbook with one port? Eww.

I love OS X and like Apple hardware when it works right (Applecare is an invaluable commodity, kids), but the Macbook looks like it's just a bad generation-one product. I'll be proved wrong when it sells 100 million units and cures cancer, but whatever. I prefer a computer with at least ONE USB and a place to charge concurrently.

Yeah that one is a bit of an odd one, but I mean the macbook pro's... the proper laptops those things still rock the ports right? They look awesome and are so solid, if I had the money and liked using OSX I'd probably have a bunch of them

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 07:56:25 »
Oh, right. Those I can semi-get behind. I just had such rotten luck with my Core 2 Duo / i5 replacement that I am a bit sour on Apple portables that aren't iPads. After about six logic boards for a Macbook Pro, you get sick of seeing Apple employees and don't want to bother with their hardware for a while.

Applecare. It should be included with the purchase price.

Offline Altis

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 10:04:34 »
I loved Apple for years, but lately they seem to be perfectly fine with OSX being fairly buggy and not getting around to fixing it. Have had more problems with two <2 year old Macbooks than I can be bothered with.

One thing I really like about MacBooks is the 16:10 aspect ratio... I find it much more useful. However, I don't like how OS X deals with windows anymore. I prefer to be able to lock windows into fullscreen without making it a separate "desktop" and having to go between (especially if you aren't using the trackpad for gestures). So I always end up with awkwardly sized windows floating around rather than making good use of the space. I far prefer how MS Windows deals with their windows, though it lacks "desktops" (coming in Windows 10 though). Being able to snap them to the sides and corners is nice, too.

I'm still drawn in by the 15" MacBook Pro, but now that the keyboard isn't very good, OS X isn't as solid as it used to be, and the price in Canada just went up from $2000 to $2500 for the base model (due to our falling dollar), I can't justify it really.

My girlfriend is thinking of ditching her 1.5 year old Air because of its issues. The Apple store is not nearly as helpful as I remember it being, either.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 10:19:00 »
Oh, right. Those I can semi-get behind. I just had such rotten luck with my Core 2 Duo / i5 replacement that I am a bit sour on Apple portables that aren't iPads. After about six logic boards for a Macbook Pro, you get sick of seeing Apple employees and don't want to bother with their hardware for a while.

As an iPhone user for 4+ years now I still cant see the point of an iPad...

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 10:19:19 »
Show Image

Oh, that is BEAUTIFUL!   Who did that?  You?  I assume it is imaginary.

I was at Apple from 1989-1997, so I had many Macintosh computers.  These days I am a Linux guy, and have no answer for the OP.

However, THIS mock-up would be something I would be delighted to have on my desk.

Running proper Mac OS 7, of course.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Auto-typed by my JD45 keyboard.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 10:20:03 »
I think if you're a power user, you already know that you need something like the Lenovo W541 workstation laptop...

Can't wait to see what we get in the W550 quad core version..

Offline tufty

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 11:02:55 »
For me it's because everything else makes me want to scream.

That said, I'm running OSX on a hackintoshed Lenovo X220 Thinkpad.

Apart from being hateful to use*, Windows is slow, too.  I needed to run Win7 for a particular test, installed it on the second drive of the old Dell Optiplex we have lying about; result - molasses.  OSX 10.6.8 on the same hardware is noticeably much faster.

* YMMV, and it's probably partially to do with the fact I'm used to not-windows, but when I'm required to use Windows I'm left with the feeling that I'm having to adapt the way I work to the way the computer wants to do things, rather than the other way around.  And don't even get me started on Linux.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 11:05:48 »
* YMMV, and it's probably partially to do with the fact I'm used to not-windows, but when I'm required to use Windows I'm left with the feeling that I'm having to adapt the way I work to the way the computer wants to do things, rather than the other way around.  And don't even get me started on Linux.

But this is true of nearly everything that has ever happened, ever.
I just started working in a new office and the things I used to do one way are done another, why can't the whole office change the way it works so it suits me, why do I have to relearn how to do the things I was doing before...

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 11:07:40 »
Oh, that thing I posted was someone mod project of a Macbook air. You can read some about it here.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 11:29:45 »
Oh, that thing I posted was someone mod project of a Macbook air. You can read some about it here.

That SD slot is also BRILLIANT!  Thank you very much for the link!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline dimamantra

• | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 11:41:02 »

RAM and drives. Mine has already an aftermarket ssd and a additional 1 TB drive in the optical bay slot, you can΄t do that in recent models.

>you can΄t do that in recent models.

Exactly! Apple has gone off the deep end with restricting the use of their products.

Offline Altis

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 12:39:19 »

Exactly! Apple has gone off the deep end with restricting the use of their products.

Even the desktops are getting limited. The new Mac Mini is basically tamper-proof now. Guess they wouldn't want you putting an SSD in your $750 ultrabook-powered "desktop" computer in 2015.  :rolleyes:
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline dimamantra

• | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 12:49:56 »

Even the desktops are getting limited. The new Mac Mini is basically tamper-proof now. Guess they wouldn't want you putting an SSD in your $750 ultrabook-powered "desktop" computer in 2015.  :rolleyes:

Seriously, they really are enforcing the "Apple Experience" now. Oh well, back to the PC master race...not that I ever left though...I'll always be a member of the master race.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 12:50:02 »
Applecare is an invaluable commodity, kids
Part of it is in Europe. A two-year limited warranty is compulsory by EU law, more or less.
Some countries, like my Sweden, have extended it to three years.
But Apple still sells three-year AppleCare here ...

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 13:36:44 »
Seriously, they really are enforcing the "Apple Experience" now. Oh well, back to the PC master race...not that I ever left though...I'll always be a member of the master race.

Remember, you don't have to use or own a PC to be a member of the PCMR.  You simply have to acknowledge the superiority of the PC in gaming, and then do whatever works for you.

My main Linux/virtualization workstation is a silent full tower with RAID, a fast i7, 32GB of fast RAM, and plenty of cooling.  And a pitiful old GTX480.

For gaming?  A fairly loud ITX cube with an i5 -- and an R9 290x.  I don't always use Windows, but when I do, I use the fastest gaming GPU I can!

- Ron | samwisekoi
(A daily Linux user who is also a member of the PCMR.)

Offline Altis

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:35:46 »

It's true. In the case of the Mini, the experience is awful without an SSD.

I think Apple is really trying to sell an image and lifestyle more than anything else. And it really is effective... despite all the things that make me not like Apple, and there are many issues I have with many of their practices and products, it's still hard not to want their products.

I just hope they start to fix the bugs and performance issues with both OS X and iOS, but they seem to honestly not care one bit. I suppose so long as the shareholders are happy and everyone buys their stuff regardless, why bother.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 15:12:57 »
Bought a 2015 13" rMBP not too long after it came out. Great machine, easy to develop on when I'm on the go. I really like the form factor of the regular Macbook, but the 1 port (and the keyboard!) are turn offs.

It's not my main workhorse though, got a rig with a 5930K and 32gb of DDR4 when it's time to get serious  :cool:

I guess the main reason for getting one is just because. I've had better luck with Apple hardware than with other manufacturers (or other Apple users, apparenrtly  :-[), hopefully I don't jinx myself.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 16:46:36 »

As an iPhone user for 4+ years now I still cant see the point of an iPad...

For me, it's dual-purpose:

• Bigger screen.
  • Isn't owned by my company, so I can do whatever I like on it without fear of them monitoring every iota of action.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 20:33:46 »
Once I upgraded to a galaxy tab s last year, I was totally done w/ apple products. At least w/ the mobile stuff their prices are comparable for similar quality, computers are ridiculous.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 16:25:54 »
They've got a great ecosystem for modern web development. brew works fairly well as a package manager, node and others work just as well on OSX as on Linux, if not better.

Pretty good ecosystem of pay-for applications as well, though you need to know what you're looking for. But for what I do I don't need much more than bash/zsh, vim/emacs, and a little bit of time configuring to my workflow.

If they weren't provided by my work then I would probably look elsewhere for a good bang/buck in sheer performance, but it's tough beating their keyboard+trackpad+displays if you're going to be using them without a standalone monitor+mouse+keyboard with any regularity.

Bootcamp is also a thing, but without a beefy SSD I wouldn't bother running multiple VMs locally.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 13:02:16 »
Mainly I care about the overall experience. I really like Apple hardware, I prefer the unix underpinnings of OSX, and I don't have to worry about fiddling with **** to get the hardware working. Plus the developer ecosystem is pretty great. And dat battery life.

The idea of using Windows on a laptop as a main OS actually produces a negative physical reaction in me. It's bad enough when I have to boot up Parallels for Visual Studio dev.

But for some reason it's not the same on my desktop machine.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 22:35:02 »
I hate when people bring in Macs to the IT desk. "But Macs CAN'T get viruses, Apple told me so!"

I really dislike OSX. I've always used Windows and Linux and I've never had many of the issues that other people always claim, though YMMV.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 12:36:18 »
Mainly I care about the overall experience. I really like Apple hardware, I prefer the unix underpinnings of OSX, and I don't have to worry about fiddling with **** to get the hardware working. Plus the developer ecosystem is pretty great. And dat battery life.

The idea of using Windows on a laptop as a main OS actually produces a negative physical reaction in me. It's bad enough when I have to boot up Parallels for Visual Studio dev.

But for some reason it's not the same on my desktop machine.

totally agree with this. macs are useful for light work, versatiity, and the overall (insanely-user-friendly) experience. i don't  think they're meant to be used as primary workstations, despite whatever apple environment devs or the artistic crowd believes. i use my macbook for school and editing photos - everything else, i toss onto my desktop. when i buy a laptop, i don't wanna deal with upgrading it. i wanna use it. with a macbook, it's really easy to pick up and use to do the light work that needs to be done.

the price point really restricts the user base, which is really quite clever - three years have gone by and your macbook is now unusable? if you could afford the first one, you probably don't wanna bother with upgrading any hardware within the computer. so you just dump your old macbook and buy a new one
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 June 2015, 12:40:31 by phosphoric »
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline RedRoboHood

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 14:19:24 »
To me, the answer is simple: development. While maybe not the most popular, iOS is a very popular (and in my opinion, very good) mobile operating system. The only way to legally develop for iOS in the slick new Swift language is if you own a Mac. So I have a 2012 Mac Mini that I use for iOS and OS X development and testing.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 15:11:08 »
... the overall (insanely-user-friendly) experience.
Bah! Macintosh has always had that attitude of "You can do only what we tell you you can do, and nothing else". I hate that.

But sure, Microsoft's way of requiring users to know their stuff and treat them as idiots is worse.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 16:17:46 »
To offer a different perspective, I'll add that I greatly enjoy my recent model Macs. I use them professionally and in my personal life. I left PCVille long ago and am much happier. My first Mac, a white MacBook gave me 5 good years of service, plus 2 more sluggish years before being decommissioned in 2014. (R.I.P. whitebook 2007-2014)

Years ago, I enjoyed configuring my linux machine w/ various inexpensive yet effective upgrades. Sometimes this involved just swapping a card. Other times, rebuilds, kernel recompilation, etc. During my studies and early work years, I had plenty of free time, but very little money, so money was more valuable than time. Now that time my more constrained (demanding job, family, etc) the idea of spending my little free time on these tasks is extremely unappealing.

Put another way, upgrades are usually a means to and end: we upgrade the machine so we can do something that we couldn't do before. When I had a lot of time, this made sense. But now, I just want to get on with what I was trying to do.

From my personal machine I need portability, a good high resolution display, a command line interface with the usual tools (compilers, etc.) and reasonable CPU speed, disk space etc. I need it to handle media like music, movies, streaming nicely. And I need tools to handle media I create like photos in a reliable and simple way.

My MacBook Pro offers me these things. It looks nice, it feels nice to use, it works well and it will suffice for several years. There's value in the feeling that I can trust the machine to meet my needs. This is very subtly different from the feeling of knowing I can fix/upgrade/tinker my machine into a thing that meets my needs.

As an earlier post suggested, I chose to max out my retina MBP RAM and cpu. It hurt, sure. It hurt a lot. (Nearly as painful as keyboards!) But I felt it was the correct choice for me, so I sacrificed some other things, trimmed here and there, and ultimately bit the bullet. Haven't looked back, I am very happy with it.

I think the big objection I'm reading in this thread is cost. That is, if it cost zero to replace -- for example, in a bizarre world where trading the old computer in is worth 100% the cost of a new one -- it wouldn't be a big deal. In other words, the thread is not saying that as a matter of principle a machine Should be upgradeable.

And I get that; cost is extremely important! People have different needs. Different machine will meet their needs. For some a chromebook may suffice, while for others it is utterly useless. 

Upgradeability is the main theme I read. It's worth asking the question, isn't it? We treat most of our devices as appliances; they aren't upgradeable. I can't (easily) upgrade my car, my refrigerator or TV. What makes a computer different?

Only that most were upgradeable in recent times, and some still are upgradeable. Maybe all these things should be upgradeable! That would be more sustainable wouldn't it?  But the trend seems to be going the other way.

Many gawk at the price entry-level mech boards; we must be crazy here. Or, we have different priorities. So too with computers.
-R
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 16:54:13 »
Cost isn't as important to me. I hate OSX though. I can't do what I want.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 18:01:36 »
Bah! Macintosh has always had that attitude of "You can do only what we tell you you can do, and nothing else". I hate that.

But sure, Microsoft's way of requiring users to know their stuff and treat them as idiots is worse.

there's that, and there's the fact that osx (even now with the tons of bugs) feels thought-out and more fluid than windows has ever felt (which is really what i was referring to)
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 18:17:13 »
I was an apple *** but my macbook has been useless to me since I built a pc. I really love osx but there so many compatibility issues and bugs. Macbooks are nothing but facebook machines and I only use it for school, coding and homework. Anyone who tries to justify the price of $1200+ is lying to themselves unless you plan to develop on osx. Just build a computer that can actually do everything you need and buy a cheap laptop.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 18:26:46 »
Die hard pc fan here, grew up with pcs.  I dislike osx, how it handles windows is pathetic and how closed the system is sucks.  I, however like one thing about macs and that is the build quality of the laptops.  It is second to none.  The touchpad and the keyboard experience is by far the best you get on a laptop.  I went from a macbook to asus zenbook and am now planning on selling the asus to get a macbook again. 
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 18:54:50 »
I'll have to respectfully disagree with that sentiment. The mouse and keyboard on my Dell 15z is far better than any Macs I've used (and I have to fix them a lot).

Offline Altis

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 19:07:32 »

there's that, and there's the fact that osx (even now with the tons of bugs) feels thought-out and more fluid than windows has ever felt (which is really what i was referring to)

I don't like the window management at all in OS X (full screen is either tall and narrow, or takes up a whole "space" and hides everything else) making multitasking less fluid (the trackpad helps though). Even the way Finder sorts everything by name instead of putting structure (folders) at the top is kind of silly. I guess some of that will be fixed with the Windows-like snapping in El Capitan, maybe.

Die hard pc fan here, grew up with pcs.  I dislike osx, how it handles windows is pathetic and how closed the system is sucks.  I, however like one thing about macs and that is the build quality of the laptops.  It is second to none.  The touchpad and the keyboard experience is by far the best you get on a laptop.  I went from a macbook to asus zenbook and am now planning on selling the asus to get a macbook again. 

I absolutely love their trackpads, but the keyboards haven't been that great since the thicker MacBook Pros (~2009). I just got a Lenovo T450s and the keyboard is much better than any of the current Apple laptops -- but of course, you loose out on the trackpad.

Offline tbc

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 20:48:17 »
can someone explain how the practice of physically inserting the disc and then virtually inserting the disc again to run the installer is logical?

let's be honest.  the reason most people buy macs is because it LOOKS NICE hardware wise.

whether a nontechnical is on windows or os x, they're going to just call someone for help.  browsers are identical in usability between the two OSes.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 June 2015, 20:50:18 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 16:30:27 »
I'm curious to learn what sorts of things folks want to do on OS X that the OS does not allow. If you've encountered problems, could you elaborate?
One thing I like about OS X is that many developers have written handy utilities for it. Little shortcuts or optimizations to make certain tasks a little smoother.
My current favorite is Spectacle http://spectacleapp.com which enables powerful window management shortcuts. It's great.

:thumb:
-R

❤️Keeboardz
---------------