Author Topic: [GB] GMK SKIDATA+ R1 Complete [Closed]  (Read 1468264 times)

Offline frostylove

Re: [GB] GMK SKIDATA+ (Pending Production)
« Reply #700 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 15:16:11 »
Good morning everyone!

I do have good news and confirmation that our order should be processed and produced before the end of May. There will always be a slight chance of delays occurring due to unexpected happenings, but I have done quite a bit of preparation work, and am hopeful that it will be a smooth process throughout.

Also, I have received a nice package of goodies from Mr. Binge, but I haven't had the time to take any photos. Will be doing that a bit later once I have some time. :thumb:

That's it for now; thanks again everyone for your participation and patience, and make sure to stay tuned for more updates in the thread. Cheers ;)

Do you mean they gonna begin producing before end of the May? Or they gonna finish production before may.

Yes.

No?

...Maybe?  :-[

...Okay :)

Sure

Suhr Custom Standard Carve Top
Manson DL-1 Matt Bellamy Signature
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A
Lovepedal Kanji Enternity

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Re: [GB] GMK SKIDATA+ (Production Scheduled)
« Reply #701 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 20:48:19 »
Haha guys.. :)

It means we'll see the product sometime around that time. Production end before then.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline frostylove

« Reply #702 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 21:34:01 »
Haha guys.. :)

It means we'll see the product sometime around that time. Production end before then.

Marshall JVM410H + 1960A

Offline k.t

« Reply #703 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 02:22:30 »
Maybe this was mentioned already, but how will they handle shipping?  Since I payed on zeal's site will he handle shipping and just use the address that's shown on the order confirmation?

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #704 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 07:02:01 »
Maybe this was mentioned already, but how will they handle shipping?  Since I payed on zeal's site will he handle shipping and just use the address that's shown on the order confirmation?

Zeal is not involved in this GB aside from order and payment processing (via ZealPC), administration, and consultation, just to help us out, as everything else is coordinated by me.

I will be shipping the orders along with radio_killah once they have arrived.

Yes, we are shipping it to the shipping address that you specified when you placed an order.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #705 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 10:58:27 »
Are there any known vendors that will be carrying extras? :D
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #706 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 11:33:20 »
Are there any known vendors that will be carrying extras? :D

I think Zeal will be carrying some extras.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #707 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 20:12:11 »
Great to hear we have a timeline :) Hopefully we get it byyyyy... August :D
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #708 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 08:59:01 »
It's funny how used to GB's I have got. I now get into the GB, enjoy the initial hype, then put it on the bookshelf and forget about it for several months... this one will be harder to do that with.

Offline cmd

« Reply #709 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 14:54:22 »
I hope zeal has this one, I want dearly !

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #710 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 14:41:23 »
Great to hear we have a timeline :) Hopefully we get it byyyyy... August :D

We'll definitely get it way before then, hopefully, depends on shipping speed. :D

So for the record, GMK has our money, and the dream has become reality. :thumb:

Offline skuko

« Reply #711 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 17:31:11 »
GIEF EXTRAZ, NEED NAO!

(get me a phone number for zeal to secure the first extra, srsly!)

:D

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #712 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 17:37:31 »
Really though, I don't know how many times I have to stress this, please don't bother Zeal about Skidata. He's already helping us out quite a bit with taking orders via his website, and as agreed, I would not want his responsibilities to increase as a result of helping us out, so please post in here or ask me directly.

I'm the right man to talk to, and you will be getting updates in here first. Thanks! :)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #713 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 00:03:43 »
Look what I have on hand!

Courtesy of Mr. Bingecaps, thank you. ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 March 2016, 00:06:36 by Karura »

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #714 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 00:15:26 »

Show Image

Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #715 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 02:26:14 »

Show Image

that keyng :'(

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #716 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 08:42:24 »

Show Image

God I love those SKIDATA+ artisans, that black and odd eye Skullthulu is perfect
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
[GB] GMK SKIDATA+ (Production Scheduled)
« Reply #717 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 13:27:03 »
Just wanted to give a quick little update that GMK has sent me Skidata+ colour prototypes, made using their newly reformulated (to accommodate our requested specifications of saturated colours and less light bleed) plastic, and the material properties have shown to be improved.

The samples I received show that the material has now become more saturated, and a brief test using a powerful 350 Lumen LED custom-built flashlight (which is way more powerful than any switch backlit LEDs) as a light source to shine into the keycaps from below, have shown the keycaps to exhibit minimal light bleed. A photo shoot will be conducted to document these improvements in the following weeks once I have an opportunity.

I also wanted to give a disclaimer that Cherry and GMK doubleshot keycaps were never designed to be used with LEDs, so in the past, light bleed was never a part of the required specifications or an issue.

With the latest wave of keyboard mania, we are seeing a lot more keyboards designed with switch backlit LEDs, creating a new issue and problem that needs to be addressed.

Our goal with the Skidata+ project was always to create the absolute ultimate, no-compromise keyset that would satisfy the most discerning keyboard connoisseurs, and I'm happy to announce that GMK has been very accommodating with our vision, and have done what is required to reach our utmost standards in the strive for perfection.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 March 2016, 13:41:08 by Karura »

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #718 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 13:33:53 »
Just wanted to give a quick little update that GMK has sent me Skidata+ colour prototypes, made using their newly reformulated (accommodating to our requested specifications of saturated colours and less light bleed) plastic, and the material properties have shown to be improved.

The samples I received show that the material has now become more saturated, and a brief test using a powerful 350 Lumen LED custom-built flashlight (which is way more powerful than any switch backlit LEDs) as a light source to shine into the keycaps from below, have shown the keycaps to exhibit minimal light bleed. A photo shoot will be conducted to document these improvements in the following weeks once I have an opportunity.

I also want to give a disclaimer that Cherry and GMK doubleshot keycaps were never designed to be used with LEDs, so in the past, light bleed was never a part of the required specifications or an issue.

With the latest wave of keyboard mania, we are seeing a lot more keyboards designed with switch backlit LEDs, creating a new issue and problem that needs to be addressed.

Our goal with Skidata+ project was always to create the absolute ultimate, no-compromise keyset that would satisfy the most discerning keyboard connoisseurs, and I'm happy to announce that GMK has been very accommodating with our vision, and have done what is required to reach our utmost standards.

THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATES

I THINK I SPEAK FOR EVERYONE WHEN I SAY I/WE APPRECIATE THEM

WE ALSO APPRECIATE YOUR KEYCAP-RELATED SCIENTIFIC ENDEAVOR
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #719 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 14:33:05 »
Will there be sets available after the drop? (leftovers maybe?)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #720 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 14:50:36 »

Yes sir, will announce them in this specific thread in a few weeks. Keep your eyes peeled and check back often!

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #721 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 14:51:20 »

Yes sir, will announce them in this specific thread in a few weeks. Keep your eyes peeled and check back often!
Thanks!

Offline soilheart

« Reply #722 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 15:49:38 »
Just wanted to give a quick little update that GMK has sent me Skidata+ colour prototypes, made using their newly reformulated (to accommodate our requested specifications of saturated colours and less light bleed) plastic, and the material properties have shown to be improved.

I also wanted to give a disclaimer that Cherry and GMK doubleshot keycaps were never designed to be used with LEDs, so in the past, light bleed was never a part of the required specifications or an issue.

Our goal with the Skidata+ project was always to create the absolute ultimate, no-compromise keyset that would satisfy the most discerning keyboard connoisseurs, and I'm happy to announce that GMK has been very accommodating with our vision, and have done what is required to reach our utmost standards in the strive for perfection.

Thanks for the update.

No chance of seeing a comparison between the prototypes and OG Skidata (and maybe Charred Orange), just to keep the hype up? (And give us with OG sets a chance to see if it's worth hunting for a standard kit later).
(K70 -  Brown) --- Pok3r - Clear --- Ducky Shine4 - Clear --- WKL B.face X2 - 67g Zealios --- CP-SQ - 78g Zealios --- RS68 - 62g Zealios
(Sold/retired - To be built)

Offline geniekid

« Reply #723 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 09:38:01 »
More

Thanks for the update!  Should update the OP as well since it is out of date.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 March 2016, 09:46:42 by geniekid »

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #724 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 07:38:04 »
Damn Karura - that's dedication on the light bleed front!

Thanks for all your hard work

Offline Jedi

« Reply #725 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 08:27:35 »
I'm impressed with the constant communication and the thoroughness in your search for perfection.  Really can't wait to see these caps on our boards!

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #726 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 08:28:48 »
I'm impressed with the constant communication and the thoroughness in your search for perfection.  Really can't wait to see these caps on our boards!

+100

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #727 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 00:20:08 »
Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'm just another enthusiast like yourself, and just set out to create something that would make me happy. ^-^

Will post a few photos of the new GMK plastics, but will be enjoying the Easter holidays for now. Happy Easter everyone, and hope everyone has a good time.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #728 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 13:29:12 »
Happy Easter!

I'd soooo like to get a set if there are any extras. It was this and Dolch that I really wanted when I just started looking into buying caps recently. Even just a base TKL set like the Dolch one I got on Originative's site would be great. 

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #729 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 15:54:50 »
Happy Easter!

I'd soooo like to get a set if there are any extras. It was this and Dolch that I really wanted when I just started looking into buying caps recently. Even just a base TKL set like the Dolch one I got on Originative's site would be great. 

There will be extras. Will be announced in a few weeks in this thread, so please check back often. :)

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #730 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 16:27:51 »
Sweet ;)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #731 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 03:32:43 »
Hey folks.

Just checking in for a quick update. As we wait in line for our turn for the keycaps to get produced, no news is generally good news. :thumb:

So far everything is on schedule and we shouldn't have any issues along the way.

That's it for now. Have a great weekend everyone, and thank you for participating. :)

Offline frostylove

« Reply #732 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 09:24:05 »
Any pictures of the samples?
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #733 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 11:19:01 »
Here are some sample pics under Karura's really really bright flashlight. Really satisfied with the density and richness of GMK's new plastic formula.

Skidata+ One-off Blue on Orange "X"

Skidata+ Orange on Charcoal "Y"

Charred orange Old Orange on Charcoal "Z"

Images left at original resolution, pixel peep all you want. RIP 56k users.
*made images expand to full size in new tab.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 April 2016, 16:03:29 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #734 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 11:24:27 »
Anyone have an order I can take over? Lol, as always I am a bit to late to the party....

Offline soilheart

« Reply #735 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 11:52:24 »
Here are some sample pics under Karura's really really bright flashlight. Really satisfied with the density and richness of GMK's new plastic formula.

Also RIP HoverZoom (or Imagus) users =P

Accidentally hovered my mouse over the picture and my gaming computer stalled for a few seconds =P

Looks nice though, tried my really really bright flashlight on my OG skidata, and actually noticed some shinethrough, so either my flashlight is really really really bright, or the new keys are even better than OG =)

And on the topic of OG caps, as he Skidata+ key looks close enough to the Charcoal key, and the Charcoal key matched an OG skidata cap pretty well on one of the first pages, I assume it won't be any problem to match an OG Skidata with Skidata+, nice! =)

EDIT: Well, just opening this thread makes the tab in Chrome angry, let's hope this thread changes page soon =/
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 April 2016, 11:55:22 by soilheart »
(K70 -  Brown) --- Pok3r - Clear --- Ducky Shine4 - Clear --- WKL B.face X2 - 67g Zealios --- CP-SQ - 78g Zealios --- RS68 - 62g Zealios
(Sold/retired - To be built)

Offline frostylove

« Reply #736 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 12:57:16 »
Got a i7 gaming pc, still stuck when browsing pages with big images. :blank:

At least they looks really cool :rolleyes:
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #737 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 13:01:33 »
If it's this beautiful in the photo, I can imagine how vivid it will look in person. I appreciate the macro shots for detail!

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #738 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 14:09:05 »
Also, I actually kind of like the glow effect of the backlight, but I know it is just a flaw in this case. I have the OEM backlight capable doubleshots from my Ducky One and they just look kind of medicore. They are functional but I don't really enjoy the look. If GMK could achieve the same quality with backlight capable doubleshots as the normal caps, then I would very much be interested (like many would be, of course).

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #739 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 14:30:21 »
Also, I actually kind of like the glow effect of the backlight, but I know it is just a flaw in this case. I have the OEM backlight capable doubleshots from my Ducky One and they just look kind of medicore. They are functional but I don't really enjoy the look. If GMK could achieve the same quality with backlight capable doubleshots as the normal caps, then I would very much be interested (like many would be, of course).

Thanks Zeal for taking and processing the photos.

The light bleed effect is uneven and blotchey in person, and aren't really meant to be like that.

Under normal lighting without the backlight, the Z keycap legend is dulled and less crisp.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #740 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 14:36:20 »

Thanks Zeal for taking and processing the photos.

The light bleed effect is uneven and blotchey in person, and aren't really meant to be like that.

Under normal lighting without the backlight, the Z keycap legend is dulled and less crisp.

I understand why the light bleed effect is the way it is. I just see potential for it to be made that way properly.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
[GB] GMK SKIDATA+ (Production Scheduled)
« Reply #741 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 14:37:12 »
Unfortunately it is not possible and has been inquired by Ivan with GMK in the past.

I also want to add that the photos of the Z being illuminated has a slighty longer exposure, so the light seems as if it fully fills out the Z, being a macro shot also adds to it being more apparent.

In reality, the Z looks like only the middle section is illuminated, so I apologize for the misleading photos, I wish I could have edited it better to reflect just exactly how much light bleed is seen in person.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 April 2016, 14:41:12 by Karura »

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #742 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 14:43:45 »
Unfortunately it is not possible and has been inquired by Ivan with GMK in the past.

I also want to add that the photos of the Z being illuminated has a slight longer exposure, so the light seems as if fully fills out the Z, being a macro shot adds to it being more apparent.

In reality, the Z looks like only the middle section is illuminated.

It's fine. I think the orange itself presents it's own sort of glow effect without being too overt. I mean glow effect in that it reflects light a certain way while being noticeable while not seeming overly bright. Kind of like hazard cones/orange construction signage in that they get your attention but don't distract you. That's why I think it works well on the key legends. I like visible lettering, but not so much that it tires me. It almost seems a bit soothing.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #743 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 14:43:47 »
Stay tuned for another Skidata+ edition of Keyboard Science in a bit later. Just wanted to thank Zeal for taking the photos and processing them ahead of schedule. :)

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #744 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 14:44:10 »
Stay tuned for another Skidata+ edition of Keyboard Science in a bit later. Just wanted to thank Zeal for taking the photos and processing them ahead of schedule. :)

10-4

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #745 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 15:32:54 »
I just had a thought that the characteristics of orange in general - warm and soothing, yet attention grabbing - could have a lot to do with evolved psychological traits. Fire itself can be deadly and catastrophic, yet it's needed for cooking and warmth.

Anyway, I hadn't thought so much about it until I pondered why I liked the Skidata color scheme so much.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #746 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 16:11:57 »

Also RIP HoverZoom (or Imagus) users =P

Accidentally hovered my mouse over the picture and my gaming computer stalled for a few seconds =P

Looks nice though, tried my really really bright flashlight on my OG skidata, and actually noticed some shinethrough, so either my flashlight is really really really bright, or the new keys are even better than OG =)

And on the topic of OG caps, as he Skidata+ key looks close enough to the Charcoal key, and the Charcoal key matched an OG skidata cap pretty well on one of the first pages, I assume it won't be any problem to match an OG Skidata with Skidata+, nice! =)

EDIT: Well, just opening this thread makes the tab in Chrome angry, let's hope this thread changes page soon =/

Page has been updated, now you can click the photos and it will expand in a new tab. Hope this resolves the thread-browser issue.
I tried it out and it should be super smooth. :thumb:

I still recommend picking up the SKIDATA+ Base set, because the V2 orange has now been reformulated with more saturated and more vibrant plastic, so it will just be ever-so-slightly more vibrant and bright. :)

Offline Jumie

« Reply #747 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 03:21:43 »
When can we pick the extras then? :p

Offline turboloser

« Reply #748 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 19:43:40 »
When can we pick the extras then? :p

No kidding, I check this thread twice a day just to make sure I don't miss an update.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #749 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 19:56:39 »
When can we pick the extras then?

No kidding, I check this thread twice a day just to make sure I don't miss an update.

I may be wrong, but I thought Karura mentioned extras won't be available until closer to the shipping date.